Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
3 records – page 1 of 1.
Part Of
Philip Givens fonds
Jewish communal series
State of Israel Bonds sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 51; Series 9-6; File 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Philip Givens fonds
Jewish communal series
State of Israel Bonds sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
51
Series
9-6
File
1
Material Format
graphic material
Date
13 Sept. 1964
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w : 20 x 25 cm
Admin History/Bio
The Primrose Club was founded in Toronto in 1907 as the Cosmopolitan Club, an elite Jewish men's social club. In 1959, the club's building at 41 Willcocks Street was expropriated by the University of Toronto (and currently houses the university's Faculty Club), and the club subsequently moved to a new building at Russell Road & St. Clair, designed by Kaplan & Sprachman. It has since been demolished and a condominium has been put up in its place by Ken Rotenberg, a Toronto developer.
Scope and Content
File consists of one photograph of Phil Givens attending a luncheon at the Primrose Club. Identified in the photograph are (left to right): John Bassett, Phil Givens, and George Hees.
Notes
Photograph is by Willy Lobel
Name Access
Primrose Club (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Philip Givens fonds
Jewish communal series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 51; Series 9; File 4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Philip Givens fonds
Jewish communal series
Level
File
Fonds
51
Series
9
File
4
Material Format
graphic material
Date
27 Nov. 1965
Physical Description
1 photograph : col. ; 9 x 12 cm
Admin History/Bio
The Primrose Club was founded in Toronto in 1907 as the Cosmopolitan Club, an elite Jewish men's social club. In 1959, the club's building at 41 Willcocks Street was expropriated by the University of Toronto (and currently houses the university's Faculty Club), and the club subsequently moved to a new building at Russell Road & St. Clair, designed by Kaplan & Sprachman. It has since been demolished and a condominium has been put up in its place by Ken Rotenberg, a Toronto developer.
Scope and Content
File consists of one photograph of Phil and Min Givens attending an event at the Primrose Club.
Name Access
Primrose Club (Toronto, Ont.)
Physical Condition
Photograph has many stress and crease marks
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 1; File 9
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
1
File
9
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca.1921]
Physical Description
1 architectural drawing : pencil and hand col. pencil crayon on cardboard ; 42 x 54 cm
Admin History/Bio
Originally named the Cosmopolitan Club, the Primrose Club was as an elite Jewish men's club (women were allowed to join in later years) that was founded in 1909 by prominent members of the Jewish Community. The building housing the club was located at 41 Willcocks Street, and was originally built in the 1880s as the residence of the Campbell family. In 1921, the home was redesigned by Benjamin Brown and Robert McConnell as the new home of the Primrose Club. In 1959, it was appropriated by the University of Toronto and is currently the home of the University of Toronto Faculty Club. It was designated as a heritage building in 1980.
Scope and Content
File consists of an elevation drawing of the Primrose Club at 41 Willcocks Street.
Notes
See - http://magazine.utoronto.ca/feature/history-of-faculty-club-u-of-t/ - for a more detailed history of the building.
Name Access
Primrose Club (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Clubs
Places
Willcocks Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions

Narrow By

Collection Name

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Place