Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
24 records – page 1 of 1.
Part Of
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 14
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
14
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
object
Date
1917-2011
Physical Description
2.82 m of textual records and other material
Admin History/Bio
As early as 1916 the Ezras Noshem Society (a mutual benefit society for Jewish women) started to raise funds to purchase and renovate what would become The Toronto Jewish Old Folks' Home (Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care’s forerunner) after its members recognized the need for a home in Toronto where the Jewish elderly could receive kosher meals and communicate with staff in their own language. Property at 31 Cecil Street was purchased in 1917 and sometime between September 1918 and January 1920 the Home officially opened there. The Home was run by a small staff and the women of Ezras Noshem who volunteered their time to make beds, cook kosher meals, do laundry and sponsor fundraising events. By 1938 the Home had expanded into its neighboring houses at 29, 33, and 35 Cecil Street and was caring for 115 residents. It provided residents with synagogue services, a hospital ward and social activities. At this time the Home also became a member of the United Jewish Welfare Fund.
In 1946, the need for a larger and more modern building prompted a fundraising campaign, which was headed by Abe Posluns, to purchase and build a new facility. In December 1954, the new building opened at 3650 Bathurst Street and consisted of two new institutions: The Jewish Home for the Aged and Baycrest Hospital. This location continued to expand over the years, including a new building for residents in 1968, an apartment building for seniors called the Baycrest Terrace in 1976, and a community centre known as The Joseph E. and Minnie Wagman Centre in 1977. These additions enabled Baycrest to expand its programs to include a day care program, recreational programs, and a Sheltered Workshop which was run in cooperation with the Jewish Vocational Service and provided residents with employment. In 1986 a new Baycrest Hospital was erected, and in 1989, the Rotman Research Institute, which is also affiliated with the University of Toronto, opened to create a research facility where top researchers could study and find new treatment methods for the elderly.
In recent years, Baycrest’s services and programs have continued to expand. In 2000, the Apotex Centre, the Jewish Home for the Aged and the Louis and Leah Posluns Centre for Stroke and Cognition opened to help residents with progressive dementia caused by vascular disorders. In 2001 a condominium building opened at 2 Neptune Drive for seniors, and in 2003 the Sam and Ida Ross Memory Clinic was established to provide out-patient services for seniors with memory disorders. Baycrest Centre also provides numerous cultural and religious programs for the inhabitants and the greater community, including a heritage museum, art exhibits and a Holocaust program.
Custodial History
Records were donated to the OJA in a series of accessions from a variety of sources, including the Baycrest Women's Auxiliary and the Multicultural Historical Society of Ontario.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records documenting the history, governance, and activities of the Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care. Included are meeting notices, agendas and minutes, correspondence, reports, speeches, photographs, artifacts, constitutions, publications, press releases, financial records, event invitations, programs, a scrapbook, a poster, lists, theatrical scripts, newspaper clippings, brochures and booklets, flyers, a land deed, certificates, schedules, annual calendars, cards, questionnaires, and lists.
Fonds is arranged into eleven series: 1. Board of Directors and Executive Committee; 2. Annual General Meetings and Annual Reports; 3. Committees and meetings; 4. Women's Auxiliary; 5. Men's Service Group; 6. Toronto Jewish Old Folks Home; 7. Programs and services; 8. Religious services; 9. Fundraising; 10. Publications and publicity; and, 11. Events. Records are described to the file level with some item level descriptions.
Notes
Physical description note: Includes 1102 photographs, 4 coins, 2 posters, 1 badge, 1 pin, 1 key chain, 1 postcard, and 1 pen.
Associated material note: related material at Library and Archives Canada includes a small Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care fonds, and the Eric Exton fonds. For architectural records see the Irving D. Boigon fonds 243 at the City of Toronto Archives (Boigon was an architect who designed many of Baycrest's buildings between the 1970s and 1990s). Contact Baycrest Centre's Heritage Museum for committee records from the 1930s, and consult Baycrest's website to access electronic copies of current issues of Baycrest's publications.
Name Access
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care
Baycrest Hospital
Ezras Noshem Society (Toronto, Ont.)
Jewish Home for the Aged (Toronto, Ont.)
Jewish Old Folks Home (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Old age homes
Hospitals
Medical care
Related Material
See Gordon Mendly Fonds 18, series 3-4; Jewish Vocational Services of Toronto fonds 75; United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds 67; accession # 2009-6-2; Dora Till Fonds 52; J. Irving Oelbaum Fonds 24; Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds 61, series 1-1; Gilbert Studios fonds 37; Ben Kayfetz fonds 62, series 3, file 3; JFWB fonds 87, series 6, files 5 and 6; JIAS fonds 9, series 7, file 1; Harold S. Kaplan fonds 27, series 1-4, and Morris Norman fonds 22.
Creator
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care, 1917-
Accession Number
1982-11-1
1983-11-2
1988-2-7
1979-9-17
1979-9-23
1987-9-7
2004-5-50
MG 2 O 1A
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 1713
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
1713
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1946
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Name Access
Jewish Home for the Aged (Toronto, Ont.)
Jewish Old Folks Home (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Old age homes
Older people
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Cecil Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
1979-3-8
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 1714
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
1714
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1946
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Name Access
Jewish Home for the Aged (Toronto, Ont.)
Jewish Old Folks Home (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Old age homes
Women
Older people
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Cecil Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
1979-3-8
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 1715
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
1715
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1946
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Name Access
Jewish Home for the Aged (Toronto, Ont.)
Jewish Old Folks Home (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Old age homes
Older people
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Cecil Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
1979-3-8
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 1716
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
1716
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1946
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Name Access
Jewish Home for the Aged (Toronto, Ont.)
Jewish Old Folks Home (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Old age homes
Older people
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Cecil Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
1979-3-8
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 1717
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
1717
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1946
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Name Access
Jewish Home for the Aged (Toronto, Ont.)
Jewish Old Folks Home (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Old age homes
Older people
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Cecil Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
1979-3-8
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 1718
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
1718
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1946
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Name Access
Jewish Home for the Aged (Toronto, Ont.)
Jewish Old Folks Home (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Old age homes
Older people
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Cecil Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
1979-3-8
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 6026
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
6026
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1941
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 21 x 26 cm and 12 x 10 cm
Admin History/Bio
Founded in the 1920s, Camp Yungvelt was originally situated on Lake Wilcox. It later moved to Pickering, where it operated until it closed in the 1950s. It was established by the Workmen's Circle (Arbeiter Ring), as a Yiddish summer camp for Jewish children. Camp Yungvelt was known for accepting the children of poor immigrants for a small fraction of the regular fee.
Scope and Content
This item is a copy print and corresponding negative of the staff at Camp Yungvelt, located in Pickering, Ontario. Identified individuals include: Bunny Bergstein, Phil Chasin, Bryna Minachovsky (Mann), Helen Lomage, Bertha Goldenthal, Israel Gang, Mr. Barzilei, Mr. Goldman, Manny Farber, Arthur Lerner, Mr. Altman, Lou Herman, Mr. Riba, Mrs. Barzilei, and Sadie Sherman.
Notes
See accession record for position of identified individuals.
Name Access
Altman, Mr.
Barzilei, Mr.
Barzilei, Mrs.
Bergstein, Bunny
Camp Yungvelt
Chasin, Phil
Farber, Manny
Gang, Israel
Goldenthal, Bertha
Goldman, Mr.
Herman, Lou
Lerner, Arthur
Lomage, Helen
Mann, Bryna
Minachovsky, Bryna
Riba, Mr.
Sherman, Sadie
Subjects
Camps
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Pickering (Ont.)
Accession Number
1991-12-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 6027
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
6027
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1942
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 21 x 26 cm and 12 x 10 cm
Admin History/Bio
Founded in the 1920s, Camp Yungvelt was originally situated on Lake Wilcox. It later moved to Pickering, where it operated until it closed in the 1950s. It was established by the Workmen's Circle (Arbeiter Ring), as a Yiddish summer camp for Jewish children. Camp Yungvelt was known for accepting the children of poor immigrants for a small fraction of the regular fee.
Scope and Content
This item is a copy print and corresponding negative of the staff at Camp Yungvelt, located in Pickering, Ontario. Pictured are:
Back row, left to right: J. Abramovitch, Chuck Lestin, Hal Grossman, Helen Lomage, Dave Ritz, John Lomage, Harry [?], Andrew [?], Steve [?].
Fifth row, left to right: D. Lerner, S. Gordener, Chana Goldberg, Percy Lipshitz, Babe Bronstein, Bea Goldman, Berny Wolinsky, Eleanor Smith, Bunny Bergstein, Goldie Grennis, [unidentified], Chonon Fine, Mrs. Mark, Mr. Mark.
Fourth row, left to right: Red Silvers, Mona Gurland, Muni Frumhartz, Bertha Goldenthal, Mr. Brick, Ms. Abkin, Ms. Glazer, Ms. Langbord, [unidentified], Mrs. Niewtkewitcz, Mrs. Niewtkewitcz.
Third row, left to right: Ms. Silverhart, Sonia Olin, Lou Herman.
Second row, left to right: Mr. Riba, Israel Gang, Philip Chasin, Mr. Nodelman, Mr. Abramovitch, Mr. Frumhartz, Mr. Danielak, Mr. Langbord, Esther Levine, Mr. Orenstein.
Front row, left to right: Chasha (Raina) Fishman, Ruth Price, Devy Abkin, Ethel Press, May Hoffman, Eleanor Tolub, Ruth Schwartz, Mitty Krieg.
Notes
See photo for numbered position of identified individuals.
Name Access
Abkin, Devy
Abkin, Ms.
Abramovitch, J.
Abramovitch, Mr.
Andrew
Bergstein, Bunny
Brick, Mr.
Bronstein, Babe
Camp Yungvelt
Danielak, Mr.
Fine, Chonon
Fishman, Chasha
Fishman, Raina
Frumhartz, Mr.
Frumhartz, Muni
Glazer, Ms.
Goldberg, Chana
Goldenthal, Bertha
Goldman, Bea
Gordener, S.
Grennis, Goldie
Grossman, Hal
Gurland, Mona
Harry
Hoffman, May
Krieg, Mitty
Langboard, Mr.
Langboard, Ms.
Lerner, D.
Lestin, Chuck
Levine, Esther
Lipshitz, Percy
Lomage, Helen
Lomage, John
Mark, Mr.
Mark, Mrs.
Niewtkewitcz, Mr.
Niewtkewitcz, Mrs.
Orenstein, Mr.
Press, Ethel
Price, Ruth
Ritz, Dave
Schwartz, Ruth
Silvers, Red
Smith, Eleanor
Steve
Tolub, Eleanor
Wolinsky, Berny
Subjects
Camps
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Pickering (Ont.)
Accession Number
1991-12-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4014
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4014
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1939
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w and sepia (1 negative) ; 14 x 9 cm and 12 x 10 cm
Admin History/Bio
Founded in the 1920s, Camp Yungvelt was originally situated on Lake Wilcox. It later moved to Pickering, where it operated until it closed in the 1950s. It was established by the Workmen's Circle (Arbeiter Ring), as a Yiddish summer camp for Jewish children. Camp Yungvelt was known for accepting the children of poor immigrants for a small fraction of the regular fee.
Scope and Content
This item is an original print of a group of female campers seated on the front steps of a building located at Camp Yungvelt, in Pickering, Ontario.
Notes
Original photograph by Simon.
Name Access
Camp Yungvelt
Subjects
Camps
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Pickering (Ont.)
Accession Number
1986-1-10
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 3966
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
3966
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1928
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 9 x 14 cm
Admin History/Bio
Founded in the 1920s, Camp Yungvelt was originally situated on Lake Wilcox. It later moved to Pickering, where it operated until it closed in the 1950s. It was established by the Workmen's Circle, as a Yiddish summer camp for Jewish children. Camp Yungvelt was known for accepting the children of poor immigrants for a small fraction of the regular fee.
Scope and Content
This item is an original postcard that features an image of the children's bungalow at Camp Yungvelt in Pickering, Ontario. The image depicts a few children standing on the front porch. There is Yiddish type on the postcard that reads: a bungalow for small children in the Arbeiter Ring Camp Yungvelt.
Name Access
Camp Yungvelt
Subjects
Camps
Postcards
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Pickering (Ont.)
Accession Number
1986-4-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 3967
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
3967
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1929
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 9 x 14 cm
Admin History/Bio
Founded in the 1920s, Camp Yungvelt was originally situated on Lake Wilcox. It later moved to Pickering, where it operated until it closed in the 1950s. It was established by the Workmen's Circle, as a Yiddish summer camp for Jewish children. Camp Yungvelt was known for accepting the children of poor immigrants for a small fraction of the regular fee.
Scope and Content
This item is an original postcard that features an image of the swimming area in Duffins Creek at Camp Yungvelt in Pickering, Ontario. The image depicts a large group gathered on the shore of the creek as well as several swimmers in the water and standing on the docks. There is Yiddish type on the postcard which reads: the swimming pool in the Arbeiter Ring Camp Yungvelt where the children bathe.
Name Access
Camp Yungvelt
Subjects
Camps
Postcards
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Pickering (Ont.)
Accession Number
1986-4-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 3965
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
3965
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1927
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 9 x 14 cm
Admin History/Bio
Founded in the 1920s, Camp Yungvelt was originally situated on Lake Wilcox. It later moved to Pickering, where it operated until it closed in the 1950s. It was established by the Workmen's Circle, as a Yiddish summer camp for Jewish children. Camp Yungvelt was known for accepting the children of poor immigrants for a small fraction of the regular fee.
Scope and Content
This item is an original postcard that features an image of a clean-up day at Camp Yungvelt in Pickering, Ontario. The image depicts a row of tents being inspected by two young girls. There is Yiddish type on the postcard which reads: the cleaning committee controlling the cleanliness of the sleeping quarters and beds in Arbeiter Ring Camp Yungvelt.
Name Access
Camp Yungvelt
Subjects
Camps
Postcards
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Pickering (Ont.)
Accession Number
1986-4-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 2964
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
2964
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1934
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 21 x 26 cm and 10 x 12 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a copy print and corresponding negative of a young boy and girl fishing in a river at Camp Yungvelt in Pickering, Ontario.
Notes
Title taken from writing on photograph.
Original photograph by Simon.
Name Access
Camp Yungvelt
Subjects
Camps
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Pickering (Ont.)
Accession Number
1979-3-10
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 6037
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
6037
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1950]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm
Scope and Content
Item is an exterior photograph of the Jewish Old Folks' Home on Cecil St.
Notes
Same image as photo #4365 and photo #45
Name Access
Cecil Street
Jewish Home for the Aged (Toronto, Ont.)
Jewish Old Folks Home (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Architecture
Old age homes
Accession Number
1986-11-6
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 1712
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
1712
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1946
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Name Access
Jewish Home for the Aged (Toronto, Ont.)
Jewish Old Folks Home (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Old age homes
Older people
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Cecil Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
1979-3-8
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 2925
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
2925
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1915
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Scope and Content
Identified in this photograph at the front, from left to right are: David Brown (Superindendent of Jewish Old Folks Home); [unknown]; [unknown]; Layefsky; Jacob Zelick Rosenberg (father of Henry S. Rosenberg).
Name Access
Brown, David
Jewish Old Folks Home (Toronto, Ont.)
Layefsky
Mozirer Mutual Benefit Society
Rosenberg, Henry S.
Rosenberg, Jacob Zelick
Subjects
Fraternal organizations
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Accession Number
1981-7-3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 2444
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
2444
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1937
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Scope and Content
Photo is a group shot of campers and staff at Camp Yungvelt with posters which read: "War is murder, the promoters - murderers" and "We want our fathers with us and not in war."
Name Access
Workmen's Circle
Camp Yungvelt
Arbeter Ring
Arbeiter Ring
Subjects
Demonstrations
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Pickering (Ont.)
Accession Number
1979-4-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Isaac Matenko fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 89
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Isaac Matenko fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
89
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
Date
1911-1971, predominant 1911-1935
Physical Description
6 cm of textual records
17 photographs
Admin History/Bio
Isaac Matenko (1874-1960) was a founder, teacher, and principal of the I.L. Peretz School. He worked tirelessly to preserve and promote secular Jewish culture and the Yiddish language in Toronto. He was also a prominent member of local Jewish organizations, such as the Socialist-Territorialist Club and the Yiddish Kultur Gesellshaft.
Isaac was born on February 1, 1874 in the town of Makarov, Kiev, Ukraine. He married Elke Yelia Moshkevitch (1878- November 19, 1953) on August 4, 1900 in Yakatreneslav. They immigrated from Czarist Russia to Toronto in 1906, passing first through New York with their two children, Percy (June 30, 1901-May 1987) and Theodore (1903-1906, died of measles at Ellis Island), Yelia’s three sisters, Dvora, Bracha, and Celia, and Isaac’s younger half-brother, Paul Frumhartz. They had two more children after arriving: Abraham (August 14, 1908-October 24, 1989) and Shoshana (Sue) (1911-2001). Although he had been a teacher in Russia, Isaac worked as an operator in a cloak factory in Toronto, where he was instrumental in forming the union (likely the Cloakmakers’ Union of Toronto, which later affiliated with the International Ladies’ Garment Workers’ Union).
As a child, Isaac received a traditional Jewish education. This, combined with his self-taught secular education and the teachings of Yiddish Nationalist Dr. Chaim Zhitlovski, informed his future career and philosophies. He was described as an idealist by his friends, whose dedication to Yiddish culture and language motivated him to bring this knowledge to a younger generation.
On July 11, 1911, Isaac and his fellow Socialist-Territorialist members established the Toronto Yiddish National-Radical School. By 1916, it had been taken over by the Workmen’s Circle and renamed the I.L. Peretz School, after the well-known Yiddish author and playwright. The school began in a rented room at the Zionist Institute on Simcoe St., moving to larger locations on Richmond St. W., then Beverley St. as it grew. Eventually, several more branches opened, such as the Maria St. school that Isaac was affiliated with. He taught at the school for free in the evenings after working during the day in a shop. His brother Paul was also a founding teacher at the school.
Isaac was described by family, friends, and community members as a passionate teacher with an iron will: he was well-versed in Jewish knowledge, with a desire to pass it on to a younger generation and his fellow union members. He remained involved in the school and in teaching, even after retirement. He died on June 2, 1960 at the age of 86.
Custodial History
These records were donated to the OJA by Sue Levy, daughter of Isaac Matenko.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records documenting Isaac Matenko's involvement with the Workmen's Circle and other Jewish organizations. Included are photographs, programmes, certificates, I.L. Peretz School jubilee books, a songbook, a yearbook, articles, and newsclippings.
Fonds has been arranged into one series for the Workmen's Circle. There are also two files attached to the fonds-level. The records are described at the series and file-level, with some item-level descriptions.
Name Access
Matenko, Isaac, 1874-1960
Frumhartz, Paul
Matenko, Percy
Peretz Shule
I.L. Peretz
Arbeiter Ring
Arbeter Ring
Camp Yungvelt
Junction Shul
Junction
Workman's Circle
Workmen's Circle
Arbeiter Ring Schools
National Radical School
Subjects
Education
Socialism
Yiddish language
Related Material
For additional Workmen's Circle records, see: accessions 1979-4-4, 1980-2-2, 1983-6-3, 1984-10-1, 1986-4-1, 1992-1-2, 1997-2-1, 1998-3-32, 2004-5-41, 2004-5-105, and fonds 30.
For additional Camp Yungvelt records, see: accessions 1979-4-4, 1986-4-1, 1991-12-4, 1993-6-6, 1999-5-1, 2004-5-37, 2005-6-4, 2006-12-3, photographs # 2964, # 4014, # 6021, MG2N1K, Benjamin Brown fonds 49, and Dorothy Dworkin Fonds 10 (item 14).
Creator
Matenko, Isaac, 1874-1960
Accession Number
1987-11-4
1991-4-2
2007-5-3
2007-6-28
Source
Archival Descriptions
Accession Number
1993-6-6
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1993-6-6
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 14 x 9 cm and 13 x 10 cm
Date
[ca. 1943]
Scope and Content
This accession consists of one photographic postcard and one negative of a group of girls at Camp Yungvelt in Pickering. Some of the girls have been identified as follows: Terry Krever is in front row on far left; Miss Simon (M. Shainhouse) is next to her in center; Miss Naomi Strauss is in the far left-hand corner; Mrs. Danilak is in back row, second from right; and "Creed" is in back row, far right.
Subjects
Children
Camps
Name Access
Krever, Terry
Strauss, Naomi
Danilak, Mrs.
Camp Yungvelt
Places
Pickering, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1979-4-4
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1979-4-4
Material Format
graphic material
moving images
Physical Description
18 photographs : b&w (9 negatives)
1 film reel
Date
1959-1965
Scope and Content
Accession consists of photographs documenting the Workmen's Circle (Arbeiter Ring) Peretz School and Camp Yungvelt. Also included is a film reel of activities at Camp Yungvelt from 1959.
Subjects
Recreation
Name Access
Camp Yungvelt
Matenko, Isaac, 1874-1960
Source
Archival Accessions
Part Of
Dorothy Dworkin fonds
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 10; Item 14
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Dorothy Dworkin fonds
Level
Item
Fonds
10
Item
14
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1915]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 13 x 18 cm
Scope and Content
Identified is: second row (left to right): -- , -- , -- , -- , ? Rigelhaupt, Joseph? Daniluk, -- , --.
Bottom row (left to right) : -- , -- , Boris Litman, Morris Langbord, -- , Paul Frumartz, -- , ? Riba.
Rigelhaupt (or Rigelhoff), was the choirmaster.
Notes
Inscription of title in Yiddish, recto, bottom.
Inscription, recto, lower left: BY SIMON.
Name Access
Arbeiter Ring
Camp Yungvelt
Daniluk, Joseph
Frumartz, Paul
Langbord, Morris
Litman, Boris
Riba
Rigelhaupt
Rigelhoff
Subjects
Camps
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Accession Number
2005-4-5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Family Welfare Bureau fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 87
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Family Welfare Bureau fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
87
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1928-1943
Physical Description
67 cm of textual records
1 architectural drawing
Admin History/Bio
Sometime around 1919, the Family Welfare Committee was set up within the newly created Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Toronto (FJPT) to perform social welfare work with Jewish families. Around 1931, the Committee was reorganized as an independent member agency of the FJPT and renamed the Jewish Family Welfare Bureau (JFWB). At the same time, Dora Wilensky (1902-1959), a professionally trained social worker, was hired as the agency’s Executive Director. Throughout its existence, most of its funding came from the FJPT (later the United Jewish Welfare Fund).
Located at 179 Beverley Street, the JFWB’s core activities included: relief provision; helping families met basic needs, such as medical care, heating and clothing; housekeeping assistance; counseling; and case work. The JFWB’s major concerns shifted over time from a rise of immigration and desertion cases in the 1920s to the dramatic increase of wife abuse, suicide and unemployment cases during the Great Depression of the 1930s. After the outbreak of the Second World War, the JFWB sought ways of assisting soldiers and their families, such as, investigating special government grants to soldiers.
In an attempt to meet community needs, the JFWB initiated various programs, such as a Homemaking Club to teach women house management skills, and a Clothing Centre to provide families with inexpensive household goods. It also partnered with other local Jewish organizations in the early 1940s in the Liaison Project for troubled Jewish youth. In the 1930s, the Jewish Employment Service and Hebrew Free Burial Society became departments of the JFWB and, in 1941, the JFWB began guaranteeing loans for clients through the Hebrew Free Loan Association. In the same year, the Jewish Big Sister Committee became affiliated with the agency and the Jewish Big Brother Movement followed soon after.
In 1936, the JFWB became one of the first unionized social agencies in Canada when it formed the Staff Association with the Jewish Child Welfare Association (JCWA), another member of the FJPT. Although the JFWB’s focus was work with families and the JCWA’s focus was work with children, both agencies found it necessary at times to work with both children and families. In order to prevent service duplication and reduce confusion over casework responsibility, the Joint Application Bureau was set up within the FJPT to review all case work applications and determine the appropriate agency to provide assistance. However, a merger between the agencies was still believed necessary to improve service to the community and ease confusion. Discussions regarding the co-ordination of services between the JCWA and the JFWB began as early as 1935 and in February 1943, the JCWA and JFWB merged to form the Jewish Family and Child Services (JF & CS).
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of textual records and one architectural drawing documenting the programs, operation, finances, and special studies of the Jewish Family Welfare Bureau as well as its relationships with other organizations. Included are reports, meeting notices, agendas and minutes, correspondence, memos, budgets, statistics, theatrical scripts, newsclippings, and one architectural blueprint. A number of the records relate to special short-lived committees and projects that the JFWB participated in with other agencies, such as the Jewish Big Sister Committee, Jewish Big Brother Committee, Jewish Child Welfare Association, the Jewish Community Centre Association, the Young Men's and Women's Hebrew Association, and the Jewish Old Folks' Home.
Records have been arranged into the following 19 series: 1. Board of Directors; 2. Executive Director; 3. Jewish Federation Communal Council; 4. United Jewish Welfare Fund Men's and Women's Service Council; 5. Case Committe; 6. Joint Meetings and Committees; 7. Joint Application Bureau; 8. Homemaking Club; 9. Clothing Centre; 10. Liaison Project; 11. Operational statistics; 12. Finance and accounting; 13. Human Resources; 14. Special projects and studies; 15. Publicity; 16. Liaison with other social welfare organizations; 17. Canadian Association of Social Workers; 18. Welfare Council of Toronto; and, 19. Conferences.
Notes
Associated material note: for related records held at the City of Toronto Archives, see also: Welfare Council of Toronto records in the University Settlement House fonds (fonds 1024, series 658); and, Department of Public Welfare records in the Former City of Toronto fonds (fonds 200).
Name Access
Jewish Family Welfare Bureau (Toronto, Ont.) (creator)
Jewish Child Welfare Association (Toronto, Ont.) (subject)
Jewish Big Sisters Committee (Toronto, Ont.) (subject)
Jewish Big Brothers Movement (Toronto, Ont.) (subject)
Jewish Family and Child Services (Toronto, Ont.) (subject)
Jewish Community Centre Association
Young Men's-Young Women's Hebrew Athletic Association (Toronto, Ont.) (subject)
Jewish Old Folks Home (Toronto, Ont.)
United Jewish Welfare Fund (Toronto, Ont.) (subject)
Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Toronto (subject)
Wilensky, Dora, 1902-1959
Subjects
Charities
Children
Families
Nonprofit organizations
Access Restriction
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director and the head of Jewish Family and Child prior to accessing some of the records.
Related Material
See also: Jewish Child Welfare Association fonds (fonds 86); Jewish Family and Child Services fonds (fonds 79); Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Toronto fonds (fonds 66); and, United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds (fonds 67).
Arrangement
Records relating to programs, committees and liaison with other organizations that continued after the formation of JF & CS are arranged with that fonds.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care fonds
Jewish Old Folks' Home series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 14; Series 6
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care fonds
Jewish Old Folks' Home series
Level
Series
Fonds
14
Series
6
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
object
Date
1917-[ca. 1950]
Physical Description
16 photographs and other material
Scope and Content
Series consists of records documenting the activities of the Jewish Old Folks' Home. Included are photographs, annual calendars, a badge, coins, a land deed, and a donation receipt.
Notes
Includes 3 folders of textual records, 1 badge, and 2 coins.
Name Access
Jewish Old Folks Home (Toronto, Ont.)
Related Material
For additional photographs of the Jewish Old Folks' Home see Fonds 61, series 6.
For minutes of the Jewish Old Folks' Home Committee (1934-1935) see Fonds 62, series 3, file 3.
Source
Archival Descriptions
24 records – page 1 of 1.

Narrow By

Collection Name

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Place

Language

Restrictions

Available Digital Content