Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
31 records – page 1 of 1.
Level
Item
ID
Item 4200
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4200
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1930
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 25 x 55 cm
Scope and Content
Item is a panoramic photograph of children at the Primrose Club in Toronto at 41 Willcocks Street. Identified individuals include: Herbert Epstein, Bert Rosenberg, Boris Adelberg, Ruthetta Kaplan Reiss, Joseph Kronick, Cliff Solway, Gil Shully, Joel Freisman, Sheldon Kert, Selma Vise Lichtman, Martin Factor, Sid Schipper, Ken Rotenberg, Earl Rotenberg, Mandel Sprachman, Ira Pollock.
Notes
Please see accession record for locations of cited individuals.
Name Access
Primrose Club (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Children
Parties
Portraits, Group
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Creator
The Panoramic Camera Company
Places
Willcocks Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
1987-9-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 3411
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
3411
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1938
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Scope and Content
Many prominent individuals are shown in this photograph, with names written on the bottom.
Name Access
Jewish National Fund
United Jewish Appeal
Subjects
Congresses and conventions
Zionism
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Beverley Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
1982-11-3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gilbert Studios fonds
Negev dinners series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 37; Series 1; File 5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gilbert Studios fonds
Negev dinners series
Level
File
Fonds
37
Series
1
File
5
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1970
Physical Description
53 negatives : b&w and col. ; 6 x 6 cm
Admin History/Bio
Leon E. Weinstein was born in the back room of his family's grocery store in Toronto on August 19, 1909. His parents names were Sam and Sarah Weinstein. Leon married Anna Sackin and together they had three children named: Carol Joy, Frances Lee, and Henry Jacob. Continuing in his family's line of work, Leon was President and General Manager for a large grocery corporation called Power Super Markets Limited.
He was also actively involved in the Toronto Jewish community and held several appointments with B'nai B'rith, United Jewish Appeal Toronto, Israel Bond Drive, United Appeal of Greater Toronto, United Jewish Welfare Fund, Toronto Jewish Home for the Aged and many more. He was a member of the Holy Blossom Temple.
Scope and Content
File consists of negatives documenting the Negev dinner held in tribute to Leon E. Weinstein. The dinner was hosted by the Jewish National Fund at the Royal York Hotel and was attended by members of the Toronto Jewish community.
The programme for the evening included speeches and presentations made by the following guests: Robert R. Hall, Rabbi Dr. Moses J. Burak, James F. Kay, Rabbi Harold Lerner, Eric Exton, Charles A. Kent, Lewish J. E. Moses, Philip Granovsky, David L. Dennis, Mrs. Arnold Finkler, Hon. Dr. Aba Gefen, Hon. Allan Grossman, Philip Givens, Rabbi W. Gunther Plaut, and Abraham Ephraim Diamond.
Name Access
Weinstein, Leon E.
Hall, Robert R.
Burak, Rabbi Dr. Moses J.
Kay, James F.
Lerner, Rabbi Harold
Exton, Eric, 1907-1997
Kent, Charles A.
Moses, Lewis J.E.
Dennis, David L.
Finkler, Mrs. Leona
Gefen, Hon. Dr. Aba
Grossman, Allan, 1910-1991
Givens, Phillip
Plaut, Rabbi W. Gunther
Diamond, Abraham Ephraim
Granovsky, Philip
Jewish National Fund
Negev dinners
B'nai B'rith
United Jewish Appeal
United Jewish Welfare Fund
Israel Bonds Drive
Toronto Jewish Home for the Aged
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 67
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
67
Material Format
multiple media
Date
1936-1991, predominant 1938-1976
Physical Description
10 m of textual records
5541 photographs, 25 x 20 cm and smaller, and other media
Admin History/Bio
The Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Toronto was incorporated in Ontario in March 1917 to coordinate the fundraising activities of Jewish charitable, philanthropic, and social service agencies in Toronto. In 1918, ten separate agencies were funded by the FJPT. By 1937, fourteen agencies were funded. The Great Depression of the 1930s and the development of several newer Jewish aid, education and medical care organizations created both increased need for resources and growing competition for ever-more scarce dollars. Within a very few years this funding crisis forced a major review of the organization.
During 1936 a series of special meetings of leading individuals were held to examine the income and expenditures of all Toronto Jewish agencies and also to speculate about the need for a new Toronto Jewish "Community Chest" as the sole fund-raising organization for a federation of all Jewish agencies including the FJPT. In 1938, the new United Jewish Welfare Fund was formally constituted. Added to the FJPT's previous list of Toronto client agencies in 1938 were: the Canadian Jewish Congress, the Hebrew National Association, the Jewish Immigrant Aid Association, the Mizrachi Society, the Toronto Free Loan Association, the Geverkshaften, and Old Folks Home, and the United Palestine Appeal, raising the total number of agencies to 22.
When the State of Israel was established in 1948, the UJWF's annual fundraising campaign was combined with the CJC's United Palestine appeal to form a new, combined campaign named the United Jewish Appeal (UJA). In 1967, the UJA name was legally changed to the United Jewish Appeal of Metropolitan Toronto.
In mid-1976, the organization's public name was changed to the Toronto Jewish Congress. Although initially thought of as a merger between the UJWF and the CJC, the actual result was the expansion of the UJWF responsibilities to include local education and welfare services previously shared with the Canadian Jewish Congress, Central Region. The UJWF, however, remained the legal senior entity.
In 1991 the public name was again changed to the Jewish Federation of Greater Toronto and in 1999, to UJA Federation of Greater Toronto. By this date, over 30 beneficiary and affiliated agencies, 49 affiliated schools and five Federation departments were fully or partly funded by the UJA Federation.
In June, 2010, the organization altered its legal structure, with the senior legal entity becoming the UJA Federation of Greater Toronto.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of 25 series: Annual Meetings, Annual Reports, Board of Directors, Constitution Committee, Executive Committee, Officers Committee, Budget and Finance Committee, Administration Committee, Social Planning Committee, Committee on Capital Needs and Planning, Central Committee on Scholarships in Aid, Joint Committee of the BJE and UJWF Study on Jewish Education, Nominations Committee, Pension Fund Committee, Coordinating Committee, Special Ad Hoc and Temporary Committees, Annual Campaign, Client Agencies, Joint Committee of the CJC and the UJWF, Committee on Community Organization, Sub-Committee on Construction and Administration of Community Schools, Joint Committee on Fundraising, Personnel Committee, Community Leadership Development Council, and Israel at Fifty Community Celebration.
Over 4500 photographs and a variety of other media are managed within Series 17, Campaign records.
Notes
For exact details about the contents of individual series and sub-series, please review their scope and contents notes.
Name Access
United Jewish Welfare Fund
Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Toronto
United Jewish Appeal
Toronto Jewish Congress
Jewish Federation of Greater Toronto
UJA Federation of Greater Toronto
Subjects
Charities
Fund raising
Access Restriction
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Related Material
For records of the predecessor of the UJWF, see Fonds 66, the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Toronto fonds.
Further detailed documentation of the proposed merger between the UJWF and the CJC (creation of the TJC) may be found in Fonds 67, Sub-sub-series 5-5-1, Files 171 and 221.
Further documentation on the United Jewish Welfare Fund may be found within Fonds 9, Series 7, records of the Jewish Immigrant Aid Society.
For further detailed records of a key community leader's involvement with the UJWF see Accession 1982-8-8, the records of Samuel Godfrey, 1943-1972.
Creator
United Jewish Welfare Fund (1938-)
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[193-]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm
Scope and Content
This item is an original and copy photograph of a basketball team sponsored by Sam Davis of Kirkland Lake. The team members are wearing their athletic clothing and one member is holding a basketball.
Notes
Caption on back of one reads: "Sam Davis sponsored Basket Ball team - notable forinclusion of D. Harry Magder, born in Sudbury, first practiced in Kirkland Lake, 33-34. a fine athlete and musician.".
Acquired in 1976.
Photo by Duke Studio.
Name Access
Davis, Sam
Subjects
Sports teams
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Kirkland Lake (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[194-]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 26 x 21 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a portrait photograph of Sam Davis.
Notes
Acquired in 1976.
Photo by Duke Studio.
Name Access
Davis, Sam
Subjects
Portraits
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Kirkland Lake (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 1646
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
1646
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1921]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Scope and Content
This print is a reproduction of an architectural drawing of the Primrose Club in Toronto.
Name Access
Primrose Club (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Architecture
Clubs
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Related Material
See fonds 49, series 1, file 9 for the original drawing.
Places
Willcocks Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 795
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
795
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[194-]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 13 x 18 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a photograph of a tribute dinner held in honour of Sam Davis of Kirkland Lake, Ontario. The dinner took place in the Adath Israel Synagogue hall. The photograph depicts several individuals seated at a banquet table.
Pictured from left to right are: [unidentified woman], Rabbi and Rebbetzen Rabinovitch, Esther Davis, Sam Davis, Harry Atkins and Fagie Atkins.
Notes
Photo by Duke Studio
Acquired in 1975
Name Access
Adath Israel Synagogue (Kirkland Lake, Ont.)
Atkins, Fagie
Atkins, Harry
Davis, Esther
Davis, Sam
Rabinovitch, Rabbi
Rabinovitch, Rebbetzen
Subjects
Dinners and dining
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Kirkland Lake (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 796
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
796
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[194-]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 13 x 18 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a photograph of a tribute dinner in honour of Sam Davis. The dinner took place at the Adath Israel Synagogue hall. The photograph features several people seated at a banquet table.
Pictured left to right are: Fay Atkins, Sam Finkleman, Annie Finkleman, Mr. Gashon (Gabbai), Mrs. Gashon, Simcha Kaplan, Hyman Kaplan.
Notes
Photo by Duke Studio.
Acquired in 1975
Finkelman may be an alternate spelling for Sam and Annie Finkleman.
Name Access
Adath Israel Synagogue (Kirkland Lake, Ont.)
Atkins, Fay
Davis, Sam
Finkelman, Annie
Finkleman, Annie
Gashon, Mr., Gabbai
Gashon, Mrs.
Hyman, Kaplan
Kaplan, Simcha
Subjects
Dinners and dining
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Kirkland Lake (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 828
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
828
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1948]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 13 x 18 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a copy print of Mr. and Mrs. Kussner of Kirkland Lake, Ontario. The photograph may have been taken at a tribute dinner at the Adath Israel Synagogue, in honour of Sam Davis.
Notes
Photo by Duke Studio.
Acquired in 1976.
Name Access
Adath Israel Synagogue (Kirkland Lake, Ont.)
Davis, Sam
Kussner, Mr.
Kussner, Mrs.
Subjects
Married people
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Kirkland Lake (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 827
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
827
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1948]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 13 x 18 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a copy print of Sam Wertman with an unidentified man of Kirkland Lake, Ontario. The photograph may have been taken at a tribute dinner at the Adath Israel Synagogue, in honour of Sam Davis.
Notes
Photo by Duke Studio.
Acquired in 1976.
Name Access
Adath Israel Synagogue (Kirkland Lake, Ont.)
Davis, Sam
Wertman, Sam
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Kirkland Lake (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 829
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
829
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1948]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 13 x 18 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a copy print of Mr. and Mrs. Blackstein of Kirkland Lake, Ontario. The photograph may have been taken at a tribute dinner at the Adath Israel Synagogue, in honour of Sam Davis.
Notes
Photo by Duke Studio.
Acquired in 1976.
Name Access
Adath Israel Synagogue (Kirkland Lake, Ont.)
Blackstein, Mr.
Blackstein, Mrs.
Davis, Sam
Subjects
Married people
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Kirkland Lake (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 830
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
830
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1948]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 13 x 18 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a copy print of Bill Jacks, Sam Garshon and W. Skelly (town councilor) of Kirkland Lake, Ontario. The photograph may have been taken at a tribute dinner at the Adath Israel Synagogue, in honour of Sam Davis.
Notes
Photo by Duke Studio.
Acquired in 1976.
Name Access
Adath Israel Synagogue (Kirkland Lake, Ont.)
Davis, Sam
Garshon, Sam
Jacks, Bill
Skelly, W.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Kirkland Lake (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 831
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
831
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1948]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 13 x 18 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a copy print of Mr. and Mrs. Zacks with their son, Ronald of Kirkland Lake, Ontario. The photograph may have been taken at a tribute dinner at the Adath Israel Synagogue, in honour of Sam Davis.
Notes
Photo by Duke Studio.
Acquired in 1976.
Name Access
Adath Israel Synagogue (Kirkland Lake, Ont.)
Davis, Sam
Zacks, Mr.
Zacks, Mrs.
Zacks, Ronald
Subjects
Families
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Kirkland Lake (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 797
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
797
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1948]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 13 x 18 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a photograph of Mr. and Mrs. Korman at a tribute dinner held in honour of Sam Davis at the Adath Israel Synagogue, in Kirkland Lake, Ontario. The photograph depicts a group of men and women seated at banquet tables and Mr. Korman standing to say some remarks.
Notes
Photo by Duke Studios.
Acquired in 1976.
Name Access
Adath Israel Synagogue (Kirkland Lake, Ont.)
Davis, Sam
Korman, Mr.
Korman, Mrs.
Subjects
Dinners and dining
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Kirkland Lake (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 798
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
798
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1948]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 13 x 18 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a photograph of assembled guests at a tribute dinner held in honour of Sam Davis, in Kirkland Lake, Ontario. The photograph depicts the men and women seated at banquet tables in the social hall of the Adath Israel Synagogue.
Notes
Photo by Duke Studios.
Acquired in 1976.
Name Access
Adath Israel Synagogue (Kirkland Lake, Ont.)
Davis, Sam
Subjects
Dinners and dining
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Kirkland Lake (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gordon Mendly fonds
Events and organizations series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 18; Series 3; File 9
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gordon Mendly fonds
Events and organizations series
Level
File
Fonds
18
Series
3
File
9
Material Format
graphic material
Date
20 June 1963
Physical Description
3 negatives : b&w ; 10 x 13 cm
Scope and Content
File consists of images taken at a meeting of the Canada Israel Development Corporation at the Primrose Club. The images depict several men seated at a table, speaking into a microphone, including Mark Levy.
Name Access
Primrose Club (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Meetings
Speeches, addresses, etc
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gordon Mendly fonds
Events and organizations series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 18; Series 3; File 48
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gordon Mendly fonds
Events and organizations series
Level
File
Fonds
18
Series
3
File
48
Material Format
graphic material
Date
21 May 1963
Physical Description
2 negatives : b&w ; 10 x 13 cm
Scope and Content
File consists of two images taken at a State of Israel Bonds meeting at the Primrose Club. The images depict several people seated at a meeting table, as well as a group photograph of three individuals holding State of Israel Bonds certificates.
Name Access
Primrose Club (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Meetings
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gordon Mendly fonds
Events and organizations series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 18; Series 3; File 50
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gordon Mendly fonds
Events and organizations series
Level
File
Fonds
18
Series
3
File
50
Material Format
graphic material
Date
21 June 1966
Physical Description
3 negatives : b&w ; 10 x 13 cm
Scope and Content
File consists of images taken at a State of Israel Bonds meeting held at the Primrose Club. The images depict speakers at the podium, and an image of the head table. The banner behind the head table reads: celebrate the year of Chai - buy Israel bonds.
Name Access
Primrose Club (Toronto, Ont.)
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gordon Mendly fonds
Events and organizations series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 18; Series 3; File 42
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gordon Mendly fonds
Events and organizations series
Level
File
Fonds
18
Series
3
File
42
Material Format
graphic material
Date
15 Apr. 1970
Physical Description
6 negatives : b&w ; 6 x 6 cm
Scope and Content
File consists of images taken at the Pride of Israel Synagogue during the United Jewish Appeal Campaign. The images include group photographs of members of the synagogue, and members of the United Jewish Appeal seated at a head table addressing the assembled crowd.
Name Access
Pride of Israel Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
United Jewish Appeal
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gordon Mendly fonds
Events and organizations series
Zionist Organization of Canada sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 18; Series 3-5; File 16
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gordon Mendly fonds
Events and organizations series
Zionist Organization of Canada sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
18
Series
3-5
File
16
Material Format
graphic material
Date
8 Dec. 1965
Physical Description
3 negatives : b&w ; 10 x 13 cm
Scope and Content
File consists of images taken at a Zionist Organization of Canada, Central Region meeting held at the Primrose Club. The guest speaker was Leon Dultzin, executive member of the World Zionist Organization. The images depict members of ZOC sitting and standing with Leon Dultzin.
Name Access
Primrose Club (Toronto, Ont.)
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
File
ID
Fonds 22; File 15
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
File
Fonds
22
File
15
Material Format
textual record
Date
1932
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Name Access
Primrose Club (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Dora Till fonds
Other organizations series
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 52; Series 7; Item 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Dora Till fonds
Other organizations series
Level
Item
Fonds
52
Series
7
Item
1
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[194-]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 12 x 18 cm on matte 21 x 26 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a photograph of the exterior of the Primrose Club on Willcocks Street in Toronto.
Name Access
Primrose Club (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Clubs
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Willcocks Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Dora Till fonds
Personal series
Personal awards and tributes sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 52; Series 8-1; File 9
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Dora Till fonds
Personal series
Personal awards and tributes sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
52
Series
8-1
File
9
Material Format
textual record
Date
1980-1981
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Name Access
Primrose Club (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Philip Givens fonds
Metropolitan Toronto Police Commission series
Official engagements sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 51; Series 5-3; File 14
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Philip Givens fonds
Metropolitan Toronto Police Commission series
Official engagements sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
51
Series
5-3
File
14
Material Format
graphic material
Date
May 1984
Physical Description
1 photograph : col. ; 13 x 10 cm
Admin History/Bio
The Primrose Club was founded in Toronto in 1907 as the Cosmopolitan Club, an elite Jewish men's social club. In 1959, the club's building at 41 Willcocks Street was expropriated by the University of Toronto (and currently houses the university's Faculty Club), and the club subsequently moved to a new building at Russell Road & St. Clair, designed by Kaplan & Sprachman. It has since been demolished and a condominium has been put up in its place by Ken Rotenberg, a Toronto developer.
Scope and Content
File consists of one photograph of Phil Givens meeting with a group of Police Chiefs. Identified in the photograph are (left to right): James Mackie, Harold Adamson, Jack Ackroyd, Jack Marks, Phil Givens.
Name Access
Primrose Club (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Police
Places
Russell Hill Road (Toronto, Ont.)
Saint Clair Avenue West (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Philip Givens fonds
Jewish communal series
State of Israel Bonds sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 51; Series 9-6; File 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Philip Givens fonds
Jewish communal series
State of Israel Bonds sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
51
Series
9-6
File
1
Material Format
graphic material
Date
13 Sept. 1964
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w : 20 x 25 cm
Admin History/Bio
The Primrose Club was founded in Toronto in 1907 as the Cosmopolitan Club, an elite Jewish men's social club. In 1959, the club's building at 41 Willcocks Street was expropriated by the University of Toronto (and currently houses the university's Faculty Club), and the club subsequently moved to a new building at Russell Road & St. Clair, designed by Kaplan & Sprachman. It has since been demolished and a condominium has been put up in its place by Ken Rotenberg, a Toronto developer.
Scope and Content
File consists of one photograph of Phil Givens attending a luncheon at the Primrose Club. Identified in the photograph are (left to right): John Bassett, Phil Givens, and George Hees.
Notes
Photograph is by Willy Lobel
Name Access
Primrose Club (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Philip Givens fonds
Jewish communal series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 51; Series 9; File 4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Philip Givens fonds
Jewish communal series
Level
File
Fonds
51
Series
9
File
4
Material Format
graphic material
Date
27 Nov. 1965
Physical Description
1 photograph : col. ; 9 x 12 cm
Admin History/Bio
The Primrose Club was founded in Toronto in 1907 as the Cosmopolitan Club, an elite Jewish men's social club. In 1959, the club's building at 41 Willcocks Street was expropriated by the University of Toronto (and currently houses the university's Faculty Club), and the club subsequently moved to a new building at Russell Road & St. Clair, designed by Kaplan & Sprachman. It has since been demolished and a condominium has been put up in its place by Ken Rotenberg, a Toronto developer.
Scope and Content
File consists of one photograph of Phil and Min Givens attending an event at the Primrose Club.
Name Access
Primrose Club (Toronto, Ont.)
Physical Condition
Photograph has many stress and crease marks
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Harold S. Kaplan fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 27
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Harold S. Kaplan fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
27
Material Format
multiple media
Date
[ca.1910]-1968
Physical Description
345 architectural drawings and other material
Admin History/Bio
Harold Solomon Kaplan (1895-1973) was a Toronto-based architect who, in partnership with Abraham Sprachman in the firm Kaplan & Sprachman, was well-known for the design of Art deco and Art moderne movie theatres in the 1930s and 1940s and for designing buildings for Jewish communities across Canada from the 1930s to the 1960s.
Kaplan was born 10 Sept. 1895, in Bucharest, Romania. At the age of three, he and his widowed mother, Tillie Hohan, moved to London, England, and in 1902 they moved to Toronto where his mother subsequently married Frank Kaplan. While in his teens, Kaplan spent time in Philadelphia living with an uncle and studying draftsmanship. Upon returning to Toronto, Kaplan attended Toronto Technical School where he took courses in architecture and building construction. He also served an apprenticeship with the architect Henry Simpson. In 1919-1920, Kaplan worked for the firm of Page & Warrington, before establishing Kaplan & Sprachman with Abraham Sprachman in 1922. In 1923, he married Dorothy Spain. They had two daughters, Phyllis (Pepper) and Ruthetta (Reiss).
Kaplan & Sprachman were best known for their more than 300 movie theatre projects completed from the 1920s to the 1960s, designing and renovating theatres across Canada in progressive "modern" styles and using innovative building materials. In 1937, they were awarded the bronze medal in the Sixth Biennial Toronto Exhibition for their interiors to the Eglinton Theatre (400 Eglinton Ave. W.) in Toronto, considered to be the finest example of their Art deco design work.
Over the course of their careers, they designed many synagogues for the Jewish community, such as the Anshei Minsk and Shaarei Shomayim synagogues in Toronto, Beth Israel Synagogue, Edmonton, and Beth Israel Synagogue in Vancouver. They also designed the new Mount Sinai Hospital, the Oakdale Golf & Country Club, the Jewish Home for the Aged (Baycrest), and the Jewish Community Centres of Toronto and Hamilton. Their design for the Oakdale Golf & Country Club was chosen as a Canadian entrant in the Arts Competition of the 14th Olympic Games in London, 1948.
In addition to the projects already mentioned, Kaplan & Sprachman worked on retail stores, warehouses and factories, apartment buildings, and single family residences. Their partnership continued until 1965, when the firm of Kaplan & Sprachman was dissolved as of 30 October 1965. Kaplan continued to work as an architectural consultant for several years after this date. Harold Kaplan died 1 April 1973 in West Palm Beach, Florida.
Kaplan was a member of the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada, the Ontario Association of Architects, and the Province of Quebec Association of Architects. Kaplan & Sprachman's contribution to the architecture profession was recognized by the Ontario Association of Architects when both Kaplan's and Abraham Sprachman's names were entered on the Honor Roll for prominent members of the profession, established by the association in 1989.
Scope and Content
The fonds documents Kaplan's work as an architect from the 1930s to the 1960s with Kaplan & Sprachman and some of the consulting work he undertook after the dissolution of the partnership in 1965, primarily through architectural drawings and photographs. The preponderance of the materials relates to a series of renovations of Loew's Yonge Street Theatre (189 Yonge St., Toronto, now the Elgin Theatre) and the Uptown Theatre (764 Yonge St., Toronto, just South of Bloor St.) between the 1930s and 1960s, and Kaplan & Sprachman's design of the Primrose Club (Russell Hill Rd at St. Clair Ave., Toronto) in 1958-1959. There is also a large number of photographs by commercial photographers of movie theatres designed or renovated by Kaplan & Sprachman.
Project records are arranged chronologically, with sub-sub-series defined for successive projects at the same site. Some of the materials document project proposals which were not carried out (e.g., proposed renovations of the Winter Garden Theatre).
Other series in the fonds contain business correspondence and newspaper clippings concerning Kaplan & Sprachman projects, and a small amount of personal material such as family photographs, awards Kaplan received over the years for his design work and a colour photocopy of the invitation to Kaplan's stag party in 1923.
Notes
Includes: 132 photographs (131 b&w, including 8 negatives; 1 col.), 8 cm of textual records, and 1 bronze medal.
Name Access
Kaplan, Harold S., 1895-1973
Kaplan & Sprachman (Firm)
Loew's Yonge Street Theatre (Toronto, Ont.)
Primrose Club (Toronto, Ont.)
Uptown Theatre (Toronto, Ont.)
Winter Garden Theatre (Toronto, Ont.)
Physical Condition
Some of the blueprints and drawings are torn or water-damaged. All of the architectural drawings are currently stored in rolls.
Related Material
Accession 2003-7-1 contains additional photographs of buildings designed or renovated by Kaplan & Sprachman, as well as a copy of a published inventory of Kaplan & Sprachman movie theatre projects, compiled by Mandel Sprachman from Kaplan & Sprachman records
Mina Sprachman, widow of Abraham Sprachman, discusses Kaplan & Sprachman in oral history recording AC-142
Kaplan & Sprachman records can also be found in the Mandel Sprachman fonds, at the City of Toronto Archives
Creator
Kaplan, Harold S., 1895-1973
Accession Number
2003-6-1
2004-3-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Ellis I. and Fanny Shapiro fonds
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 94; Item 5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Ellis I. and Fanny Shapiro fonds
Level
Item
Fonds
94
Item
5
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1961
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 23 x 16 cm
Scope and Content
Item is a portrait photograph of Ellis I. Shapiro. The photograph is attached to the inside cover of a United Jewish Welfare Fund of Toronto annual President's report (1961). The UJWF annual meeting honoured Ellis I. Shapiro.
Name Access
B'nai B'rith
Shapiro, Ellis I.
Northwood Golf and Country Club
Primrose Club
Independent Order of Odd Fellows
Goel Tzedec Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Canadian Jewish Congress
Jewish Camp Council of Toronto
YM-YWHA
United Jewish Welfare Fund of Toronto
UJWF
United Jewish Appeal
Beth Tzedec Congregation (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Portraits
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Accession Number
2005-8-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Ellis I. and Fanny Shapiro fonds
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 94; Item 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Ellis I. and Fanny Shapiro fonds
Level
Item
Fonds
94
Item
2
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1953]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm
Scope and Content
Item is a photograph of Fanny Shapiro with a group of women at a campaign tea. The women are probably from the Women's Service Council of the United Jewish Welfare Fund or the Women's Division of the United Jewish Appeal. Standing far right: Fanny Shapiro.
Name Access
Shapiro, Fanny
United Jewish Welfare Fund
United Jewish Appeal
Subjects
Charities
Women
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Physical Condition
Photograph has suffered water damage and is in poor condition.
Accession Number
2005-8-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 1; File 9
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
1
File
9
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca.1921]
Physical Description
1 architectural drawing : pencil and hand col. pencil crayon on cardboard ; 42 x 54 cm
Admin History/Bio
Originally named the Cosmopolitan Club, the Primrose Club was as an elite Jewish men's club (women were allowed to join in later years) that was founded in 1909 by prominent members of the Jewish Community. The building housing the club was located at 41 Willcocks Street, and was originally built in the 1880s as the residence of the Campbell family. In 1921, the home was redesigned by Benjamin Brown and Robert McConnell as the new home of the Primrose Club. In 1959, it was appropriated by the University of Toronto and is currently the home of the University of Toronto Faculty Club. It was designated as a heritage building in 1980.
Scope and Content
File consists of an elevation drawing of the Primrose Club at 41 Willcocks Street.
Notes
See - http://magazine.utoronto.ca/feature/history-of-faculty-club-u-of-t/ - for a more detailed history of the building.
Name Access
Primrose Club (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Clubs
Places
Willcocks Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
31 records – page 1 of 1.

Narrow By

Collection Name

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Place

Restrictions

Available Digital Content