Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
19 records – page 1 of 1.
Part Of
Gordon Mendly fonds
Events and organizations series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 18; Series 3; File 42
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gordon Mendly fonds
Events and organizations series
Level
File
Fonds
18
Series
3
File
42
Material Format
graphic material
Date
15 Apr. 1970
Physical Description
6 negatives : b&w ; 6 x 6 cm
Scope and Content
File consists of images taken at the Pride of Israel Synagogue during the United Jewish Appeal Campaign. The images include group photographs of members of the synagogue, and members of the United Jewish Appeal seated at a head table addressing the assembled crowd.
Name Access
Pride of Israel Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
United Jewish Appeal
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Adas Israel Synagogue series
Building sub-series
Synagogue dedication and laying of the cornerstone file
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 4; Series 5-1; File 5; Item 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Adas Israel Synagogue series
Building sub-series
Synagogue dedication and laying of the cornerstone file
Level
Item
Fonds
4
Series
5-1
File
5
Item
1
Material Format
graphic material
Date
22 Oct. 1961
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 21 x 25 cm
Scope and Content
Item is a photograph of the crowd gathered outside Adas Israel Synagogue for its dedication ceremony.
Notes
Photograph is by Aron Studio.
Name Access
Green, Morton, Rabbi
Hoffman, Max
Katz, Samuel
Subjects
Crowds
Synagogue dedication services
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 67
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
67
Material Format
multiple media
Date
1936-1991, predominant 1938-1976
Physical Description
10 m of textual records
5541 photographs, 25 x 20 cm and smaller, and other media
Admin History/Bio
The Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Toronto was incorporated in Ontario in March 1917 to coordinate the fundraising activities of Jewish charitable, philanthropic, and social service agencies in Toronto. In 1918, ten separate agencies were funded by the FJPT. By 1937, fourteen agencies were funded. The Great Depression of the 1930s and the development of several newer Jewish aid, education and medical care organizations created both increased need for resources and growing competition for ever-more scarce dollars. Within a very few years this funding crisis forced a major review of the organization.
During 1936 a series of special meetings of leading individuals were held to examine the income and expenditures of all Toronto Jewish agencies and also to speculate about the need for a new Toronto Jewish "Community Chest" as the sole fund-raising organization for a federation of all Jewish agencies including the FJPT. In 1938, the new United Jewish Welfare Fund was formally constituted. Added to the FJPT's previous list of Toronto client agencies in 1938 were: the Canadian Jewish Congress, the Hebrew National Association, the Jewish Immigrant Aid Association, the Mizrachi Society, the Toronto Free Loan Association, the Geverkshaften, and Old Folks Home, and the United Palestine Appeal, raising the total number of agencies to 22.
When the State of Israel was established in 1948, the UJWF's annual fundraising campaign was combined with the CJC's United Palestine appeal to form a new, combined campaign named the United Jewish Appeal (UJA). In 1967, the UJA name was legally changed to the United Jewish Appeal of Metropolitan Toronto.
In mid-1976, the organization's public name was changed to the Toronto Jewish Congress. Although initially thought of as a merger between the UJWF and the CJC, the actual result was the expansion of the UJWF responsibilities to include local education and welfare services previously shared with the Canadian Jewish Congress, Central Region. The UJWF, however, remained the legal senior entity.
In 1991 the public name was again changed to the Jewish Federation of Greater Toronto and in 1999, to UJA Federation of Greater Toronto. By this date, over 30 beneficiary and affiliated agencies, 49 affiliated schools and five Federation departments were fully or partly funded by the UJA Federation.
In June, 2010, the organization altered its legal structure, with the senior legal entity becoming the UJA Federation of Greater Toronto.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of 25 series: Annual Meetings, Annual Reports, Board of Directors, Constitution Committee, Executive Committee, Officers Committee, Budget and Finance Committee, Administration Committee, Social Planning Committee, Committee on Capital Needs and Planning, Central Committee on Scholarships in Aid, Joint Committee of the BJE and UJWF Study on Jewish Education, Nominations Committee, Pension Fund Committee, Coordinating Committee, Special Ad Hoc and Temporary Committees, Annual Campaign, Client Agencies, Joint Committee of the CJC and the UJWF, Committee on Community Organization, Sub-Committee on Construction and Administration of Community Schools, Joint Committee on Fundraising, Personnel Committee, Community Leadership Development Council, and Israel at Fifty Community Celebration.
Over 4500 photographs and a variety of other media are managed within Series 17, Campaign records.
Notes
For exact details about the contents of individual series and sub-series, please review their scope and contents notes.
Name Access
United Jewish Welfare Fund
Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Toronto
United Jewish Appeal
Toronto Jewish Congress
Jewish Federation of Greater Toronto
UJA Federation of Greater Toronto
Subjects
Charities
Fund raising
Access Restriction
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Related Material
For records of the predecessor of the UJWF, see Fonds 66, the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Toronto fonds.
Further detailed documentation of the proposed merger between the UJWF and the CJC (creation of the TJC) may be found in Fonds 67, Sub-sub-series 5-5-1, Files 171 and 221.
Further documentation on the United Jewish Welfare Fund may be found within Fonds 9, Series 7, records of the Jewish Immigrant Aid Society.
For further detailed records of a key community leader's involvement with the UJWF see Accession 1982-8-8, the records of Samuel Godfrey, 1943-1972.
Creator
United Jewish Welfare Fund (1938-)
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 3411
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
3411
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1938
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Scope and Content
Many prominent individuals are shown in this photograph, with names written on the bottom.
Name Access
Jewish National Fund
United Jewish Appeal
Subjects
Congresses and conventions
Zionism
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Beverley Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
1982-11-3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 2468
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
2468
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1920]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Scope and Content
Item is a group photograph of the Ladies' auxiliary of Farband Borochov Branch 124, at a picnic in Toronto. Identified are Lillian Edelstein, Max Hoffman, Charlie Krackover; Ida Krackover; Joe Cash; [?] Frankel; Fanny Herzog; [?] Herzog; Willie Silverberg; [Leiblele?] Monson; Max Monson; Florence Monson; Chaika Levinsky; [Loyke?] Freedman; Penny Shatz; Mr. Freedman; Nachman Levinsky.
Notes
From the Seymour and Abi Shatz Collection.
Name Access
Borochov
Cash, Joe
Edelstein, Lillian
Farband
Frankel
Freedman, Loyke
Herzog, Fanny
Hoffman, Max
Krackover, Charlie
Krackover, Ida
Levinsky, Chaika
Levinsky, Nachman
Monson, Florence
Monson, Leiblele
Monson, Max
Shatz, Penny
Silverberg, Willie
Subjects
Picnics
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Accession Number
1980-12-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gilbert Studios fonds
Negev dinners series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 37; Series 1; File 5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gilbert Studios fonds
Negev dinners series
Level
File
Fonds
37
Series
1
File
5
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1970
Physical Description
53 negatives : b&w and col. ; 6 x 6 cm
Admin History/Bio
Leon E. Weinstein was born in the back room of his family's grocery store in Toronto on August 19, 1909. His parents names were Sam and Sarah Weinstein. Leon married Anna Sackin and together they had three children named: Carol Joy, Frances Lee, and Henry Jacob. Continuing in his family's line of work, Leon was President and General Manager for a large grocery corporation called Power Super Markets Limited.
He was also actively involved in the Toronto Jewish community and held several appointments with B'nai B'rith, United Jewish Appeal Toronto, Israel Bond Drive, United Appeal of Greater Toronto, United Jewish Welfare Fund, Toronto Jewish Home for the Aged and many more. He was a member of the Holy Blossom Temple.
Scope and Content
File consists of negatives documenting the Negev dinner held in tribute to Leon E. Weinstein. The dinner was hosted by the Jewish National Fund at the Royal York Hotel and was attended by members of the Toronto Jewish community.
The programme for the evening included speeches and presentations made by the following guests: Robert R. Hall, Rabbi Dr. Moses J. Burak, James F. Kay, Rabbi Harold Lerner, Eric Exton, Charles A. Kent, Lewish J. E. Moses, Philip Granovsky, David L. Dennis, Mrs. Arnold Finkler, Hon. Dr. Aba Gefen, Hon. Allan Grossman, Philip Givens, Rabbi W. Gunther Plaut, and Abraham Ephraim Diamond.
Name Access
Weinstein, Leon E.
Hall, Robert R.
Burak, Rabbi Dr. Moses J.
Kay, James F.
Lerner, Rabbi Harold
Exton, Eric, 1907-1997
Kent, Charles A.
Moses, Lewis J.E.
Dennis, David L.
Finkler, Mrs. Leona
Gefen, Hon. Dr. Aba
Grossman, Allan, 1910-1991
Givens, Phillip
Plaut, Rabbi W. Gunther
Diamond, Abraham Ephraim
Granovsky, Philip
Jewish National Fund
Negev dinners
B'nai B'rith
United Jewish Appeal
United Jewish Welfare Fund
Israel Bonds Drive
Toronto Jewish Home for the Aged
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Ellis I. and Fanny Shapiro fonds
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 94; Item 5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Ellis I. and Fanny Shapiro fonds
Level
Item
Fonds
94
Item
5
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1961
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 23 x 16 cm
Scope and Content
Item is a portrait photograph of Ellis I. Shapiro. The photograph is attached to the inside cover of a United Jewish Welfare Fund of Toronto annual President's report (1961). The UJWF annual meeting honoured Ellis I. Shapiro.
Name Access
B'nai B'rith
Shapiro, Ellis I.
Northwood Golf and Country Club
Primrose Club
Independent Order of Odd Fellows
Goel Tzedec Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Canadian Jewish Congress
Jewish Camp Council of Toronto
YM-YWHA
United Jewish Welfare Fund of Toronto
UJWF
United Jewish Appeal
Beth Tzedec Congregation (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Portraits
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Accession Number
2005-8-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Ellis I. and Fanny Shapiro fonds
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 94; Item 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Ellis I. and Fanny Shapiro fonds
Level
Item
Fonds
94
Item
2
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1953]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm
Scope and Content
Item is a photograph of Fanny Shapiro with a group of women at a campaign tea. The women are probably from the Women's Service Council of the United Jewish Welfare Fund or the Women's Division of the United Jewish Appeal. Standing far right: Fanny Shapiro.
Name Access
Shapiro, Fanny
United Jewish Welfare Fund
United Jewish Appeal
Subjects
Charities
Women
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Physical Condition
Photograph has suffered water damage and is in poor condition.
Accession Number
2005-8-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Personal series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Personal series
Level
Series
Fonds
4
Series
1
Material Format
multiple media
Date
[ca. 1900]-2000
Physical Description
49 cm of textual records and other material
Admin History/Bio
Sol Edell, the son of Paul and Mollie Edell, was one of five siblings. He and Dolly Weinstock, the daughter of Moishe and Sylvia Weinstock, had two daughters and two sons and lived in Toronto. After Dolly died in 1961, he married Celia (nee Rogen) Hoffman, a widow, in 1966. He became the stepfather to the two sons of Max and Celia Hoffman who had been residents of Hamilton. Some members of the family remained in Toronto while others moved to other parts of Canada, the United States and Israel. Sol Edell was actively involved in or provided financial support to many educational, professional and religious organizations.
Scope and Content
Series includes correspondence, invitations, publications, photographs, family films and a sound recording. The series is made up of seven sub-series: Associations, Charities, Community Activities, Education and Extra-Curricular Activities, Life Cycle and Family Events, Religious, and Residence.
Notes
Physical description note: includes 12 photographs, 7 film reels, 1 audio reel, 1 plaque, 4 badges, and 47 architectural drawings.
Name Access
Hoffman, Max
Hoffman, Celia
Rho Pi Phi
Harbord Collegiate
Subjects
Education
Greek letter societies
Physical Condition
Film and sound reels should be digitized.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Hoffman family fonds
Community activities series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 6; Series 2; File 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Hoffman family fonds
Community activities series
Level
File
Fonds
6
Series
2
File
2
Material Format
textual record
Date
1965
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of calendar published by B'Nai Brith, Hamilton Chapter.
Name Access
Hoffman, Max
Hoffman, Celia
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Hoffman family fonds
Community activities series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 6; Series 2; File 4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Hoffman family fonds
Community activities series
Level
File
Fonds
6
Series
2
File
4
Material Format
textual record
Date
1954-1958
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Admin History/Bio
Max Hoffman was a member of the Central Fund for Traditional Institutions Committee and raised funds on their behalf.
Scope and Content
File consists of correspondence relating to fundraising as well as lists of donors and their donations to the Central Fund of Traditional Institutions.
Name Access
Hoffman, Max
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Hoffman family fonds
Community activities series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 6; Series 2; File 11
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Hoffman family fonds
Community activities series
Level
File
Fonds
6
Series
2
File
11
Material Format
textual record
Date
1963
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Admin History/Bio
Max Hoffman and his brother, David Hoffman, were members of the board of the United Hebrew Memorial Chapel.
Scope and Content
File consists of a letter from the United Hebrew Memorial Chapel giving details about the progress of the building campaign.
Name Access
Hoffman, Max
Hoffman, David
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Hoffman family fonds
Personal series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 6; Series 3; File 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Hoffman family fonds
Personal series
Level
File
Fonds
6
Series
3
File
1
Material Format
textual record
Date
1956-1959
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Admin History/Bio
The Beverley Golf and Country Club was a club founded by members of the Jewish community living in the vicinity of the city of Hamilton. Mr. and Mrs. Max Hoffman, Mr. and Mrs. Sol Hoffman and Mr. and Mrs. Morris Kam were members.
Scope and Content
File consists of correspondence from the Beverley Golf and Country Club regarding general rules, membership fees and club programmes. As well, there is a copy of the constitution, an annual report for the year 1959 and a membership list.
Name Access
Hoffman, Max
Hoffman, Sol
Kam, Morris
Subjects
Golf
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Hoffman family fonds
Personal series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 6; Series 3; File 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Hoffman family fonds
Personal series
Level
File
Fonds
6
Series
3
File
2
Material Format
textual record
Date
1957-1958; 1964
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of donations requests and receipts for donations made by the Hoffman family. The majority of the organizations are religious institutions located in Canada, the United States and Israel.
Name Access
Hoffman, Max
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Hoffman family fonds
Personal series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 6; Series 3; File 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Hoffman family fonds
Personal series
Level
File
Fonds
6
Series
3
File
3
Material Format
textual record
Date
[195-]
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Admin History/Bio
The Hoffman residence in Hamilton had been custom built for the family.
Scope and Content
File consists of correspondence from the contractor listing the materials which would be used to build the Hoffman residence, the details of work which would be done and the construction timeline.
Name Access
Hoffman, Max
Hoffman, Celia
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Adas Israel Synagogue series
Building sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 4; Series 5-1; File 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Adas Israel Synagogue series
Building sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
4
Series
5-1
File
1
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
architectural drawing
Date
1958-1960
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
2 photographs : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm
14 architectural drawings : 68 x 102 cm or smaller
Admin History/Bio
Max Hoffman and Sam Katz were the co-chairmen of the Adas Israel Building Fund Committee.
Scope and Content
File consists of records documenting the construction and fundraising activities for the erection of a new building for Adas Isreal Synagogue. Included are brochures, bulletins, correspondence, a meeting invitation, floor plans, detail sketches, a site plan, photographs of the proposed model of the synagogue, and an architectural sketch of proposed menorahs for the synagogue. Also included are floor plans for the cantor's home at 126 Cline Ave. and the Ritualarium (Mikvah) at 11 Cline Ave.
Name Access
Hoffman, Max
Katz, Sam
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Adas Israel Synagogue series
Building sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 4; Series 5-1; File 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Adas Israel Synagogue series
Building sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
4
Series
5-1
File
2
Material Format
textual record
moving images
Date
1959
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
1 film reel (ca. 15 min.) : col., si. ; 16 mm
Admin History/Bio
Max Hoffman's brother, David, was vice president of Adas Israel.
Scope and Content
File consists of material relating to the turning of the sod ceremony for the Adas Israel synagogue. It contains an invitation to the membership and the programme as well as the speech Max Hoffman delivered at the ceremony. It also includes a letter outlining the duties that David Hoffman performed during the ceremony and a home movie film of the event.
Name Access
Hoffman, Max
Hoffman, David
Physical Condition
The film should be digitized to improve access and needs to be housed in an archival canister.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Adas Israel Synagogue series
Building sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 4; Series 5-1; File 4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Adas Israel Synagogue series
Building sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
4
Series
5-1
File
4
Material Format
textual record
sound recording
Date
1961
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
3 audio reels (ca. 60 min.) : 9.5 cm/sec.
Scope and Content
File consists of the programmes and order of services for the dedication of the Adas Israel synagogue as well as the speech given by Max Hoffman. In addition, the file contains lists of the dedication book advertisers and prospective members as well as audio recordings of the ceremony.
Name Access
Hoffman, Max
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Adas Israel Synagogue series
Building sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 4; Series 5-1; File 5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Adas Israel Synagogue series
Building sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
4
Series
5-1
File
5
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Date
1961
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
25 photographs : b&w ; 21 x 25 cm and 13 x 18 cm
Admin History/Bio
The cornerstone was laid by Rabbi Morton Green, Max Hoffman and Samuel Katz.
Scope and Content
File consists of letter listing the individuals involved in laying the cornerstone of the Adas Israel synagogue as well as photographs of the ceremony. Identified in the photographs are: Rabbi Morton Green, Max Hoffman, and Samuel Katz.
Notes
Photograph is by Aron Studio.
Name Access
Green, Morton, Rabbi
Hoffman, Max
Katz, Samuel
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Source
Archival Descriptions
19 records – page 1 of 1.

Narrow By

Collection Name

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Place

Language

Restrictions

Available Digital Content