5541 photographs, 25 x 20 cm and smaller, and other media
The Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Toronto was incorporated in Ontario in March 1917 to coordinate the fundraising activities of Jewish charitable, philanthropic, and social service agencies in Toronto. In 1918, ten separate agencies were funded by the FJPT. By 1937, fourteen agencies were funded. The Great Depression of the 1930s and the development of several newer Jewish aid, education and medical care organizations created both increased need for resources and growing competition for ever-more scarce dollars. Within a very few years this funding crisis forced a major review of the organization.
During 1936 a series of special meetings of leading individuals were held to examine the income and expenditures of all Toronto Jewish agencies and also to speculate about the need for a new Toronto Jewish "Community Chest" as the sole fund-raising organization for a federation of all Jewish agencies including the FJPT. In 1938, the new United Jewish Welfare Fund was formally constituted. Added to the FJPT's previous list of Toronto client agencies in 1938 were: the Canadian Jewish Congress, the Hebrew National Association, the Jewish Immigrant Aid Association, the Mizrachi Society, the Toronto Free Loan Association, the Geverkshaften, and Old Folks Home, and the United Palestine Appeal, raising the total number of agencies to 22.
When the State of Israel was established in 1948, the UJWF's annual fundraising campaign was combined with the CJC's United Palestine appeal to form a new, combined campaign named the United Jewish Appeal (UJA). In 1967, the UJA name was legally changed to the United Jewish Appeal of Metropolitan Toronto.
In mid-1976, the organization's public name was changed to the Toronto Jewish Congress. Although initially thought of as a merger between the UJWF and the CJC, the actual result was the expansion of the UJWF responsibilities to include local education and welfare services previously shared with the Canadian Jewish Congress, Central Region. The UJWF, however, remained the legal senior entity.
In 1991 the public name was again changed to the Jewish Federation of Greater Toronto and in 1999, to UJA Federation of Greater Toronto. By this date, over 30 beneficiary and affiliated agencies, 49 affiliated schools and five Federation departments were fully or partly funded by the UJA Federation.
In June, 2010, the organization altered its legal structure, with the senior legal entity becoming the UJA Federation of Greater Toronto.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of 25 series: Annual Meetings, Annual Reports, Board of Directors, Constitution Committee, Executive Committee, Officers Committee, Budget and Finance Committee, Administration Committee, Social Planning Committee, Committee on Capital Needs and Planning, Central Committee on Scholarships in Aid, Joint Committee of the BJE and UJWF Study on Jewish Education, Nominations Committee, Pension Fund Committee, Coordinating Committee, Special Ad Hoc and Temporary Committees, Annual Campaign, Client Agencies, Joint Committee of the CJC and the UJWF, Committee on Community Organization, Sub-Committee on Construction and Administration of Community Schools, Joint Committee on Fundraising, Personnel Committee, Community Leadership Development Council, and Israel at Fifty Community Celebration.
Over 4500 photographs and a variety of other media are managed within Series 17, Campaign records.
For exact details about the contents of individual series and sub-series, please review their scope and contents notes.
United Jewish Welfare Fund
Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Toronto
United Jewish Appeal
Toronto Jewish Congress
Jewish Federation of Greater Toronto
UJA Federation of Greater Toronto
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
For records of the predecessor of the UJWF, see Fonds 66, the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Toronto fonds.
Further detailed documentation of the proposed merger between the UJWF and the CJC (creation of the TJC) may be found in Fonds 67, Sub-sub-series 5-5-1, Files 171 and 221.
Further documentation on the United Jewish Welfare Fund may be found within Fonds 9, Series 7, records of the Jewish Immigrant Aid Society.
For further detailed records of a key community leader's involvement with the UJWF see Accession 1982-8-8, the records of Samuel Godfrey, 1943-1972.
Accession consists of records documenting the history and activities of the Minsker Farband and Adath Shalom Synagogue. Included are a 50th anniversary booklet (1976), 60th anniversary booklet (1986), 65th anniversary booklet (1991) and photocopies of clippings from the Sunday Sun articles dated June 17,  and May 13, 1995 reporting on the men and women (who are well beyond the age of 13) who participated in a group bar and bat mitzvah ceremony, initiated by Cantor Martin Rosenblum who participated in the ceremony as well. Records from the Minsker Farband include a navy leather bound manuscript book with "Young Minsker Social Club" embossed on the cover. "The Book of Life is Presented by William and Charlotte Kaplan in Memory of Libba Elka Kaplan, 26 JUN 1954, Ann Kaplan Goldblatt, 9 JAN 1959 and Chaim Libetsky, 13 DEC 1930. Each page of the book of life lists milestone celebrations, birth announcements and memorials. All entries were hand written in calligraphy from (1961-1968). In addition, there are two minute books handwritten in Yiddish for the periods 1929-1932 and 1935-37; meeting and executive meeting minute books and membership lists including organizations participating in The Young Mens' Minsker Farband (1948-1949); Young Men's Social Club Membership cards listing names, addresses, businesses or employers and other affiliations (1948 to 1953); an invitation and programme for Oneg Shabbat and Shabbat Morning services in honour of the 65th Anniversary of Adath Sholom Synagogue and the 25th Anniversary tribute to Cantor and Spiritual Leader Martin Rosenblum (1991); a timeline on the history of the Minsker Farband handwritten on a note pad by Ms. Bev Breslow; and an unidentified photocopy of a photograph.
The Adath Shalom Synagogue records belonged to donor Shae Eckler. The Minsker Farband records were given to Shae's husband Morey Eckler between 1995 and 2000. Shae could not recall the name of the original donor.
The Minsker Farband was established in 1926 by a small group of men who hailed from the town of Minsk, Russia. In 1927, the wives formed the Minsker Farband Ladies' Auxiliary. (Information as transcribed from the notes of Ms. Bev Breslow).