Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
3 records – page 1 of 1.
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 67
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
67
Material Format
multiple media
Date
1936-1991, predominant 1938-1976
Physical Description
10 m of textual records
5541 photographs, 25 x 20 cm and smaller, and other media
Admin History/Bio
The Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Toronto was incorporated in Ontario in March 1917 to coordinate the fundraising activities of Jewish charitable, philanthropic, and social service agencies in Toronto. In 1918, ten separate agencies were funded by the FJPT. By 1937, fourteen agencies were funded. The Great Depression of the 1930s and the development of several newer Jewish aid, education and medical care organizations created both increased need for resources and growing competition for ever-more scarce dollars. Within a very few years this funding crisis forced a major review of the organization.
During 1936 a series of special meetings of leading individuals were held to examine the income and expenditures of all Toronto Jewish agencies and also to speculate about the need for a new Toronto Jewish "Community Chest" as the sole fund-raising organization for a federation of all Jewish agencies including the FJPT. In 1938, the new United Jewish Welfare Fund was formally constituted. Added to the FJPT's previous list of Toronto client agencies in 1938 were: the Canadian Jewish Congress, the Hebrew National Association, the Jewish Immigrant Aid Association, the Mizrachi Society, the Toronto Free Loan Association, the Geverkshaften, and Old Folks Home, and the United Palestine Appeal, raising the total number of agencies to 22.
When the State of Israel was established in 1948, the UJWF's annual fundraising campaign was combined with the CJC's United Palestine appeal to form a new, combined campaign named the United Jewish Appeal (UJA). In 1967, the UJA name was legally changed to the United Jewish Appeal of Metropolitan Toronto.
In mid-1976, the organization's public name was changed to the Toronto Jewish Congress. Although initially thought of as a merger between the UJWF and the CJC, the actual result was the expansion of the UJWF responsibilities to include local education and welfare services previously shared with the Canadian Jewish Congress, Central Region. The UJWF, however, remained the legal senior entity.
In 1991 the public name was again changed to the Jewish Federation of Greater Toronto and in 1999, to UJA Federation of Greater Toronto. By this date, over 30 beneficiary and affiliated agencies, 49 affiliated schools and five Federation departments were fully or partly funded by the UJA Federation.
In June, 2010, the organization altered its legal structure, with the senior legal entity becoming the UJA Federation of Greater Toronto.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of 25 series: Annual Meetings, Annual Reports, Board of Directors, Constitution Committee, Executive Committee, Officers Committee, Budget and Finance Committee, Administration Committee, Social Planning Committee, Committee on Capital Needs and Planning, Central Committee on Scholarships in Aid, Joint Committee of the BJE and UJWF Study on Jewish Education, Nominations Committee, Pension Fund Committee, Coordinating Committee, Special Ad Hoc and Temporary Committees, Annual Campaign, Client Agencies, Joint Committee of the CJC and the UJWF, Committee on Community Organization, Sub-Committee on Construction and Administration of Community Schools, Joint Committee on Fundraising, Personnel Committee, Community Leadership Development Council, and Israel at Fifty Community Celebration.
Over 4500 photographs and a variety of other media are managed within Series 17, Campaign records.
Notes
For exact details about the contents of individual series and sub-series, please review their scope and contents notes.
Name Access
United Jewish Welfare Fund
Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Toronto
United Jewish Appeal
Toronto Jewish Congress
Jewish Federation of Greater Toronto
UJA Federation of Greater Toronto
Subjects
Charities
Fund raising
Access Restriction
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Related Material
For records of the predecessor of the UJWF, see Fonds 66, the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Toronto fonds.
Further detailed documentation of the proposed merger between the UJWF and the CJC (creation of the TJC) may be found in Fonds 67, Sub-sub-series 5-5-1, Files 171 and 221.
Further documentation on the United Jewish Welfare Fund may be found within Fonds 9, Series 7, records of the Jewish Immigrant Aid Society.
For further detailed records of a key community leader's involvement with the UJWF see Accession 1982-8-8, the records of Samuel Godfrey, 1943-1972.
Creator
United Jewish Welfare Fund (1938-)
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Personal series
Religious sub-series
Level
Sub-series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 1-6
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Personal series
Religious sub-series
Level
Sub-series
Fonds
4
Series
1-6
Material Format
textual record
Date
1962-1997
Physical Description
3 folders of textual records
Admin History/Bio
During his lifetime Sol Edell regularly attended or maintained membership in a number of different synagogues. As a child Sol Edell’s family were members of Shomrai Shabbos. After he married he became a founding member of Clanton Park. His second wife Celia was a member of Adas Israel prior to their marriage. The Edell’s also had a cottage in Belle Ewart and they attended the synagogue which the Jewish cottagers had established for the summer.
Scope and Content
Sub-series consists of correspondence, receipts and newspaper clippings relating to the religious activities of the Edell family. This includes dues and donations to Adas Israel, Clanton Park and Shomrai Shabbos synagogues. As well there are newspaper clippings about the synagogue in Belle Ewart. Also included are contracts for the sale of chametz for Passover.
Name Access
Shomrai Shabbos
Adas Israel Congregation (Hamilton, Ont.)
Clanton Park Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Ewart, Belle
Subjects
Religion
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Personal series
Religious sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 4; Series 1-6; File 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Personal series
Religious sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
4
Series
1-6
File
1
Material Format
textual record
Date
1963-1997
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of dues and donation receipts.
Name Access
Shomrai Shabbos
Adas Israel Congregation (Hamilton, Ont.)
Clanton Park Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions

Narrow By

Collection Name

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Place

Language