Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
12 records – page 1 of 1.
Name
Dora Till
Material Format
sound recording
Interview Date
May 4, 1983
Source
Oral Histories
Name
Dora Till
Number
AC 151
Subject
Immigrants--Canada
Jewish families
Labor
Labor unions
Women
Occupations
Interview Date
May 4, 1983
Quantity
1
Interviewer
Stephen Speisman
Total Running Time
46 minutes
Conservation
Copied August 2003
Use Restrictions
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Biography
Dora Till (nee Tobias) was born in New York City in 1896. She came to Toronto in 1900. She married Morris Till in 1918. They had one daughter, Cecile. As a youth, Dora was involved with Herzl Girls and the Boot and Shoe Society. Dora was active in community service and contributed greatly to social service work. She was co-founder and first President for Mothers' and Babes' Summer Rest Home, Vice-President of the Hebrew Maternity Aid Society, a board member for the Jewish Family and Child Services, an executive for the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies, Honourary Vice-President of United Jewish Welfare Fund, on the board of Canadian Jewish Congress and past President of the Naomi Chapter of Hadassah-WIZO.
Material Format
sound recording
Name Access
Herzl Girls Boot and Shoe Society, 1920
Mothers and Babes Summer Rest Home
Baycrest Hospital
United Jewish Welfare Fund
Beth Tzedec Synagogue
Timothy Eaton Company
Till, Dora
Geographic Access
Toronto
Bronte
Original Format
Audio cassette
Copy Format
Audio cassette
Digital file
Source
Oral Histories

In this clip, Dora Till discusses some of the services provided by Hebrew Maternity Aid.

Dora Till was co-founder and first President for Mothers and Babes Summer Rest Home. In this clip, Dora describes the efforts to solicit and fundraise on behalf of the Mothers and Babes Summer Rest Home.

Accession Number
2016-3-44
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-3-44
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm
Date
[194-?]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a photograph of Mrs. Daniel Krangle, Mrs. Aaron G. Volpe, Mrs. Samuel J. Granatstein, Mrs. William Palca, Mrs. Nathan Perlmutter and Miss Florence Hutner. The attached note states that this photo records a planning meeting of the Women's Service Council of the United Jewish Welfare Fund for the Second Annual Workshop of the United Jewish Welfare Fund.
Custodial History
There is no information on the acquisition of this material.
Subjects
Philanthropy and fundraising
Name Access
United Jewish Welfare Fund
Places
Toronto, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 67
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
67
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Date
1936-1991, predominant 1938-1976
Physical Description
10 m of textual records
5541 photographs, 25 x 20 cm and smaller, and other media
Admin History/Bio
The Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Toronto was incorporated in Ontario in March 1917 to coordinate the fundraising activities of Jewish charitable, philanthropic, and social service agencies in Toronto. In 1918, ten separate agencies were funded by the FJPT. By 1937, fourteen agencies were funded. The Great Depression of the 1930s and the development of several newer Jewish aid, education and medical care organizations created both increased need for resources and growing competition for ever-more scarce dollars. Within a very few years this funding crisis forced a major review of the organization.
During 1936 a series of special meetings of leading individuals were held to examine the income and expenditures of all Toronto Jewish agencies and also to speculate about the need for a new Toronto Jewish "Community Chest" as the sole fund-raising organization for a federation of all Jewish agencies including the FJPT. In 1938, the new United Jewish Welfare Fund was formally constituted. Added to the FJPT's previous list of Toronto client agencies in 1938 were: the Canadian Jewish Congress, the Hebrew National Association, the Jewish Immigrant Aid Association, the Mizrachi Society, the Toronto Free Loan Association, the Geverkshaften, and Old Folks Home, and the United Palestine Appeal, raising the total number of agencies to 22.
When the State of Israel was established in 1948, the UJWF's annual fundraising campaign was combined with the CJC's United Palestine appeal to form a new, combined campaign named the United Jewish Appeal (UJA). In 1967, the UJA name was legally changed to the United Jewish Appeal of Metropolitan Toronto.
In mid-1976, the organization's public name was changed to the Toronto Jewish Congress. Although initially thought of as a merger between the UJWF and the CJC, the actual result was the expansion of the UJWF responsibilities to include local education and welfare services previously shared with the Canadian Jewish Congress, Central Region. The UJWF, however, remained the legal senior entity.
In 1991 the public name was again changed to the Jewish Federation of Greater Toronto and in 1999, to UJA Federation of Greater Toronto. By this date, over 30 beneficiary and affiliated agencies, 49 affiliated schools and five Federation departments were fully or partly funded by the UJA Federation.
In June, 2010, the organization altered its legal structure, with the senior legal entity becoming the UJA Federation of Greater Toronto.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of 25 series: Annual Meetings, Annual Reports, Board of Directors, Constitution Committee, Executive Committee, Officers Committee, Budget and Finance Committee, Administration Committee, Social Planning Committee, Committee on Capital Needs and Planning, Central Committee on Scholarships in Aid, Joint Committee of the BJE and UJWF Study on Jewish Education, Nominations Committee, Pension Fund Committee, Coordinating Committee, Special Ad Hoc and Temporary Committees, Annual Campaign, Client Agencies, Joint Committee of the CJC and the UJWF, Committee on Community Organization, Sub-Committee on Construction and Administration of Community Schools, Joint Committee on Fundraising, Personnel Committee, Community Leadership Development Council, and Israel at Fifty Community Celebration.
Over 4500 photographs and a variety of other media are managed within Series 17, Campaign records.
Notes
For exact details about the contents of individual series and sub-series, please review their scope and contents notes.
Name Access
United Jewish Welfare Fund
Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Toronto
United Jewish Appeal
Toronto Jewish Congress
Jewish Federation of Greater Toronto
UJA Federation of Greater Toronto
Subjects
Charities
Fund raising
Access Restriction
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Related Material
For records of the predecessor of the UJWF, see Fonds 66, the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Toronto fonds.
Further detailed documentation of the proposed merger between the UJWF and the CJC (creation of the TJC) may be found in Fonds 67, Sub-sub-series 5-5-1, Files 171 and 221.
Further documentation on the United Jewish Welfare Fund may be found within Fonds 9, Series 7, records of the Jewish Immigrant Aid Society.
For further detailed records of a key community leader's involvement with the UJWF see Accession 1982-8-8, the records of Samuel Godfrey, 1943-1972.
Creator
United Jewish Welfare Fund (1938-)
Places
Toronto
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gilbert Studios fonds
Negev dinners series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 37; Series 1; File 5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gilbert Studios fonds
Negev dinners series
Level
File
Fonds
37
Series
1
File
5
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1970
Physical Description
53 negatives : b&w and col. ; 6 x 6 cm
Admin History/Bio
Leon E. Weinstein was born in the back room of his family's grocery store in Toronto on August 19, 1909. His parents names were Sam and Sarah Weinstein. Leon married Anna Sackin and together they had three children named: Carol Joy, Frances Lee, and Henry Jacob. Continuing in his family's line of work, Leon was President and General Manager for a large grocery corporation called Power Super Markets Limited.
He was also actively involved in the Toronto Jewish community and held several appointments with B'nai B'rith, United Jewish Appeal Toronto, Israel Bond Drive, United Appeal of Greater Toronto, United Jewish Welfare Fund, Toronto Jewish Home for the Aged and many more. He was a member of the Holy Blossom Temple.
Scope and Content
File consists of negatives documenting the Negev dinner held in tribute to Leon E. Weinstein. The dinner was hosted by the Jewish National Fund at the Royal York Hotel and was attended by members of the Toronto Jewish community.
The programme for the evening included speeches and presentations made by the following guests: Robert R. Hall, Rabbi Dr. Moses J. Burak, James F. Kay, Rabbi Harold Lerner, Eric Exton, Charles A. Kent, Lewish J. E. Moses, Philip Granovsky, David L. Dennis, Mrs. Arnold Finkler, Hon. Dr. Aba Gefen, Hon. Allan Grossman, Philip Givens, Rabbi W. Gunther Plaut, and Abraham Ephraim Diamond.
Name Access
Weinstein, Leon E.
Hall, Robert R.
Burak, Rabbi Dr. Moses J.
Kay, James F.
Lerner, Rabbi Harold
Exton, Eric, 1907-1997
Kent, Charles A.
Moses, Lewis J.E.
Dennis, David L.
Finkler, Mrs. Leona
Gefen, Hon. Dr. Aba
Grossman, Hon. Allan
Givens, Phillip
Plaut, Rabbi W. Gunther
Diamond, Abraham Ephraim
Granovsky, Philip
Jewish National Fund
Negev dinners
B'nai B'rith
United Jewish Appeal
United Jewish Welfare Fund
Israel Bonds Drive
Toronto Jewish Home for the Aged
Gilbert, Al, 1922-
Gilbert Studios (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gilbert Studios fonds
Al Gilbert portraits series
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 37; Series 4; Item 12
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gilbert Studios fonds
Al Gilbert portraits series
Level
Item
Fonds
37
Series
4
Item
12
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1965]
Physical Description
1 negative : b&w ; 11 x 13 cm
Admin History/Bio
The generation of Posluns captured in this photograph were the children of Sheindel and Abraham Isaac Posluns. They had seven children named: Abe, Louis, Sam, Joseph, Gertie, Sarah and Anne.
Abe was born in 1908. He married Elsie Posluns and had three children named: Alan Irwin, Dorothy Hildred, and Richard Wilfred Joel. Abe Posluns was a financier and was actively involved in the Toronto Jewish community.Moreover, at different points in his life, he was president of the United Community Fund of Greater Toronto, president of the Jewish Home for the Aged, President of Baycrest Hospital, Honorary Vice-President for United Jewish Welfare Fund, Director and Executive of New Mount Sinai Hospital, Director of YW-YMHA, Director of Canadian Welfare Council, and a member of B'nai B'rith, Primrose Club, and Oakdale Golf and Country Club.
Louis Posluns was married to Leah and they had three sons: Wilfred, Jack and Irving. Louis was the Presdient of YMHA and a founding member of Beth Tzedec Congregation. Louis and his brother Jospeh started a family business called Superior Cloak; all four brothers became involved in the business, which in turn led to the creation of several other successful organizations.
Sam Posluns was Past President of the Board of Jewish Education.
The Posluns family was involved in many philanthropic ventures, which included a donation to the Baycrest Hospital to help fund a centre devoted to helping seniors who suffer from dementia as a result of strokes. The Louis and Leah Posluns Centre for Stroke and Cognition opened in 2000. The Leah Posluns Theatre located at the Bathurst Jewish Community Centre was also funded by the Poslun family.
Scope and Content
Photograph is of the Posluns siblings. Seated from left to right are Gertie Wasserman, Joseph and Louis. Standing from left to right are Sam, Abe, Sarah Bernstein and Anne Straus.
Name Access
Gilbert, Al, 1922-
Gilbert Studios (Toronto, Ont.)
Posluns
United Community Fund of Greater Toronto
Jewish Home for the Aged
Baycrest Hospital
United Jewish Welfare Fund
New Mount Sinai Hospital
YW-YMHA
Canadian Welfare Council
B'nai B'rith
Primrose Club
Oakdale Golf and Country Club
Louis and Leah Posluns Centre for Stroke and Cognition
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Related Material
1997-7-6 Sam Posluns fonds
1999-12-2 Leah Posluns Theatre
2004-5-79 Posluns family memorabilia
Oral History #AC 214 Abe Posluns
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gilbert Studios fonds
Al Gilbert portraits series
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 37; Series 4; Item 11
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gilbert Studios fonds
Al Gilbert portraits series
Level
Item
Fonds
37
Series
4
Item
11
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[196-?]
Physical Description
2 negatives : b&w ; 18 x 13 cm and 13 x 11 cm
Admin History/Bio
Dora was born to Yetta and Max Tobias. She married Morris Till and they had one child named Cecil. Dora was an active community leader who also contributed a lot to social service work. She was co-founder and first President for Mothers' and Babes' Summer Rest Home, Vice-President of the Hebrew Maternity Aid Society, a board member for the Jewish Family and Child Services, an executive for the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies, Honourary Vice-President of United Jewish Welfare Fund, on the board of Canadian Jewish Council and past President of the Naomi Chapter of Hadassah-WIZO.
Scope and Content
Photograph is of Dora Ann Till.
Name Access
Gilbert, Al, 1922-
Gilbert Studios (Toronto, Ont.)
Till, Dora Ann
Hebrew Maternity Aid Society
Family and Child Service
Federation of Jewish Philanthropies
United Jewish Welfare Fund
Naomi Chapter of Hadassah-WIZO
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Related Material
see also 1987-1-5, Dora Till papers
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gilbert Studios fonds
Al Gilbert portraits series
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 37; Series 4; Item 36
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gilbert Studios fonds
Al Gilbert portraits series
Level
Item
Fonds
37
Series
4
Item
36
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1987]
Physical Description
1 negative : b&w ; 11 x 13 cm
Admin History/Bio
Eddy [Edwin] Alan Goodman was born to David Bertram and Dorothy Soble on October 11, 1918. He married Suzanne Dorothy Gross and they had two children named Joanne Ruth and Diane Selena.
He was a barrister and solicitor with Goodman and Goodman along with his father, who was also a prominent barrister. Eddy Goodman was an active leader within the Jewish community. His accomplishments include: Past President of the National Ballet Company; Vice-President of the Progressive Conservative Association of Canada; Past President of University College at the University of Toronto; honorary counsel for United Jewish Welfare Fund; Past President of Toronto Chapter, Canadian Friends of the Hebrew University; Director YM-YWHA; and Director, New Mount Sinai Hospital. In 1987, Edwin Goodman was the honourary guest at the Negev Dinner held at the Royal York Hotel in Toronto.
Scope and Content
Photograph of Edwin Alan Goodman posing in a photography studio. This photograph may have been taken for Edwin Goodman's Negev Dinner Tribute book in 1987.
Name Access
Gilbert, Al, 1922-
Gilbert Studios (Toronto, Ont.)
Goodman, Edwin Alan
Gross, Suzanne Dorothy
Goodman and Goodman
National Ballet Company
Progressive Conservative Association of Canada
University of Toronto
United Jewish Welfare Fund
Canadian Friends of the Hebrew University
YM-YWHA
New Mount Sinai Hospital
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gilbert Studios fonds
Al Gilbert portraits series
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 37; Series 4; Item 21
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gilbert Studios fonds
Al Gilbert portraits series
Level
Item
Fonds
37
Series
4
Item
21
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1965]
Physical Description
1 negative : b&w ; 18 x 13 cm
Admin History/Bio
Wayne Tanenbaum was born on July 6, 1929 to Joseph and Faye Tanenbaum. Throughout the course of his career he worked as a business executive at the following organizations: Consolidated Corporate Consultants Ltd., Tanenbaum, Flagal & Associates, Runnymede Investements Ltd., Rexdale Investments, Acme Crane Rentals, Runnymede Steel Construction, and Canadian Jewish News.
Other affiliations included: Jewish Camp Council, Leadership Development of United Jewish Welfare Fund, New Mount Sinai Hospital, YW-YMHA, United Jewish Welfare Fund and Palestine Lodge AF&AM.
Scope and Content
Photograph of Mr. H. Wayne Tanenbaum.
Name Access
Gilbert, Al, 1922-
Gilbert Studios (Toronto, Ont.)
Tanenbaum, Wayne
Consolidated Corporate Consultants Ltd.
Tanenbaum, Flagal & Associates
Runnymede Investements Ltd
Rexdale Investments
Canadian Jewish News
Runnymede Steel Construction
Jewish Camp Council
New Mount Sinai Hospital
YW-YMHA
United Jewish Welfare Fund
Palestine Lodge AF-AM
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gilbert Studios fonds
Al Gilbert portraits series
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 37; Series 4; Item 47
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gilbert Studios fonds
Al Gilbert portraits series
Level
Item
Fonds
37
Series
4
Item
47
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1960]
Physical Description
1 negative : b&w ; 11 x 13 cm
Admin History/Bio
Abe Posluns was a financier and was actively involved in the Toronto Jewish community.
He was president of the United Community Fund of Greater Toronto, president of the Jewish Home for the Aged, President of Baycrest Hospital, Honorary Vice-President for United Jewish Welfare Fund, Director and Executive of New Mount Sinai Hospital, Director of YW-YMHA, Director of Canadian Welfare Council, and a member of B'nai B'rith, Primrose Club, and Oakdale Golf and Country Club.
The Posluns family was involved in many philanthropic ventures, which included a donation to the Baycrest Hospital to help fund a centre devoted to helping seniors who suffer from dementia as a result of strokes. The Louis and Leah Posluns Centre for Stroke and Cognition opened in 2000. The Leah Posluns Theatre located at the Bathurst Jewish Community Centre was also funded by the Poslun family.
Scope and Content
Photograph of Abe Posluns taken inside his house.
Name Access
Gilbert, Al, 1922-
Gilbert Studios (Toronto, Ont.)
Posluns, Abe
Baycrest Hospital
Jewish Home for the Aged
New Mount Sinai Hospital
United Community Fund of Greater Toronto
YW-YMHA
United Jewish Welfare Fund
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Related Material
See also photo #'s: 12, 28, 8, 66
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Ellis I. and Fanny Shapiro fonds
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 94; Item 6
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Ellis I. and Fanny Shapiro fonds
Level
Item
Fonds
94
Item
6
Material Format
graphic material
Date
4 Nov. 1977
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 5 cm
Scope and Content
Item is a passport photograph of Fanny Shaprio.
Name Access
Shapiro, Fanny
United Jewish Welfare Fund
Women's Service Council
Jewish Home for the Aged
Mount Sinai Hospital
Baycrest Hospital
Mothers and Babes Summer Rest Home
National Council of Jewish Women
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Accession Number
2005-8-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Ellis I. and Fanny Shapiro fonds
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 94; Item 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Ellis I. and Fanny Shapiro fonds
Level
Item
Fonds
94
Item
2
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1953]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm
Scope and Content
Item is a photograph of Fanny Shapiro with a group of women at a campaign tea. The women are probably from the Women's Service Council of the United Jewish Welfare Fund or the Women's Division of the United Jewish Appeal. Standing far right: Fanny Shapiro.
Name Access
Shapiro, Fanny
United Jewish Welfare Fund
United Jewish Appeal
Subjects
Charities
Women
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Physical Condition
Photograph has suffered water damage and is in poor condition.
Accession Number
2005-8-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Child Welfare Association fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 86
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Child Welfare Association fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
86
Material Format
textual record
Date
1932-1943
Physical Description
23 cm of textual records
Admin History/Bio
The Jewish Child Welfare Association (JCWA) was formed in 1936 through the amalgamation of the Jewish Children’s Bureau, the Jewish Big Brother Movement, and the Jewish Big Sister Committee. This merger was intended to improve service to families in the community by making one agency responsible for all cases dealing with children and adolescents. The JCWA’s funding primarily came from the Federation for Jewish Philanthropies (later the United Jewish Welfare Fund) and municipal and provincial grants.
The JCWA’s Chairman was Bertram N. Davis and first Executive Secretary was Anne Gussack. Gussack was succeeded by Freda Manson in 1939 and Aaron B. Feld in 1941. Soon after its formation in 1936, the JCWA became one of the first unionized social agencies in Canada when it formed the Staff Association with the Jewish Family Welfare Bureau (JFWB).
Located at 179 Beverley Street, the JCWA’s core activities included: placing children in foster homes, arranging adoptions, supervising children in their own homes, providing housekeeping services to families, and providing supervision and guidance to unmarried mothers. The JCWA paid for the foster children’s room and board, clothing and medical care, supervised their religious education, and supplied scholarships for vocational training through its Jewish Children’s Vocational Fund. The JCWA also ran the Foster Mothers’ Parent Education Group, initiated a foster day care program to allow foster mothers to work, and arranged for the placement of children in summer camps. A constant problem for JCWA was the lack of appropriate foster homes. In order to secure more homes, the agency regularly engaged in a foster homefinding publicity campaign.
The Child Welfare Committee of the Hebrew Maternity Aid Society assisted the JCWA with finding and visiting foster homes, arranging adoptions, and attending to chronic clinical cases. The Hebrew Maternity Aid Society also participated in a Car Corp program with the JCWA by providing its social workers with volunteer drivers to help them travel to different locations.
The JCWA’s Big Brother and Big Sister Departments provided guidance for delinquent, troubled, and developmentally disabled adolescents through individual and group work. Both departments assisted troubled youth with employment, vocational training, school adjustment and recreational activities. In 1941, the Big Sister Committee left the JCWA to become affiliated with the JFWB.
Discussions regarding the co-ordination of services between the JCWA and the JFWB began as early as 1935. Since both agencies worked with children and families, a merger was believed necessary to improve service to the community and ease confusion. In February 1943, the JCWA and the JFWB merged to form the Jewish Family and Child Services (JF & CS).
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of textual records documenting the programs, operation, finances and special projects and studies of the Jewish Child Welfare Association and its predecessor the Jewish Children's Bureau. Included is correspondence, reports, surveys, memos, meeting notices, agendas and minutes, financial records, questionnaires, speeches, client and membership lists, case presentations, news articles, theatrical scripts, event invitations and statistics.
Fonds has been arranged with one sous-fonds, which contains the records of the Jewish Children's Bureau. In total there are 25 series. The Jewish Child Welfare Association (main fonds) series are: 1. Board of Trustees; 2. Executive Director; 3. Committees; 4. Adoption; 5. Foster care; 6. Summer camp program; 7. Nursery school; 8. Jewish Children's Vocational Board; 9. Finance and accounting; 10. Human Resources; 11. Operational statistics; 12. Special studies and surveys; 13. Publicity; 14. Liaison with other social welfare organizations; and 15. Welfare Council of Toronto. The Jewish Children's Bureau (sous-fonds) series are: 1. Board of Trustees; 2. Executive Director; 3. Adoption; 4. Foster care; 5. Finance and accounting; 6. Human resources; 7. Building administration; 8. Special studies and surveys; 9. Publicity; and, 10. Liaison with other social welfare organizations.
Notes
Associated material note: for related records held at the City of Toronto Archives, see also: Children's Aid Society of Toronto fonds (fonds 1001); Welfare Council of Toronto records in the University Settlement House fonds (fonds 1024, series 658); and, Department of Public Welfare records in the Former City of Toronto fonds (fonds 200).
Name Access
Jewish Child Welfare Association
Jewish Children's Home
Jewish Children's Vocational Fund
Davis, Bertram N.
Gussack, Anne
Manson, Freda
Feld, Aaron B.
Jewish Big Sisters Committee
Jewish Big Brothers Movement
Jewish Family and Child Services
Federation of Jewish Philanthropies
United Jewish Welfare Fund
Department of Public Welfare
Welfare Council of Toronto
Children's Aid Society
Subjects
Charities
Jewish children
Jewish families
Nonprofit organizations
Access Restriction
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director and the head of Jewish Family and Child prior to accessing some of the records.
Related Material
See also: Jewish Family Welfare Bureau fonds (fonds 87); Jewish Family and Child fonds (fonds 79); Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Toronto fonds (fonds 66); and, United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds (fonds 67).
Arrangement
Records of the Jewish Big Sisters Committee, the Jewish Big Brothers Movement and records documenting programs of the JCWA that continued after the formation of JF & CS, such as the Foster Homefinding Campaign and the Foster Mothers' Parent Education Group, are arranged with the JF & CS fonds 79.
Accession Number
2004-1-8
Source
Archival Descriptions
12 records – page 1 of 1.

Narrow By

Collection Name

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Place

Restrictions

Available Digital Content