In 1913 a charitable organization called the Ezras Noshim Society was formed to help elderly women. Ezras Noshim start collecting funds in 1917 to purchase a home that would be converted into Toronto's first Jewish Old Folks Home. The forerunner to Baycrest Centre opened in 1919 as the Toronto Jewish Old Folks Home on Cecil Street in downtown Toronto where the women of Ezras Noshim made beds, cooked kosher meals, washed sheets and sponsored fund-raising events.
In 1954, the Jewish Home for the Aged opened on Bathurst Street to accomodate their expanding needs and a new feature -- Baycrest Hospital.
This location continued to expand including a new building for residents in 1968, the Baycrest Terrace and The Joseph E. and Minnie Wagman Centre in 1976. These additions enabled Baycrest to expand their services to include a community centre, an enhanced apartment building, a home for the aged, a day care service and a hospital.
In 1986 a new Baycrest Hospital was erected, and in 1989, the Rotman Research Institute, which is also affiliated with the University of Toronto, opened to create a research facility enabling top researchers to study and find new treatment methods for the elderly.
In recent years, Baycrest's research activities have expanded to include the Clinical Epidemiology and Evaluation Unit (est. 1995), which evaluates clinical programs and conducts long-term studies of health issues affecting older adults and the Kunin Lunenfeld Clinical Research Unit (est. 1996), which links researchers with Baycrest clinical departments to enable prompt implementation of research findings. These two programs merged in 1998 to become the Kunin-Lunenfeld Applied Research Unit.
Apotex Centre, the Jewish Home for the Aged and the Louis and Leah Posluns Centre for Stroke and Cognition opened in 2000. This centre is responsible for residents with progressive dementia and vascular dementia.
Baycrest Centre also provides numerous cultural and religious programs for the inhabitants and the greater community, including a heritage museum, art exhibits and a Holocaust program.
Scope and Content
Photograph of the groundbreaking ceremony for Baycrest Hospital on Bathurst Street, which was erected along with the new building of the Jewish Home for the Aged.
Abe Posluns is on the far right.
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Max and Celia Hoffman lived in Hamilton with their 2 children, Stephen and Jay. They were members of Adas Israel synagogue and the Beverley Golf and Country Club. The children attended the Hamilton Talmud Torah.
Scope and Content
Series contains correspondence and blueprints relating to the construction of the Hoffman residence. Also included are the Westlake Secondary School yearbook, the school attended by the Hoffman children and a biography of Meyer Hoffman, a relative of Max Hoffman. In addition, there is correspondence relating to the Hoffman family membership in the Beverley Golf and Country Club.