Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
43 records – page 1 of 1.
Address
175 Baldwin Street
Source
Landmarks

Nesker & Co., Wholesale and Retail Produce was owned and operated by Joe Nesker and his wife Bella.
Address
175 Baldwin Street
Time Period
1920-
Scope Note
Nesker & Co., Wholesale and Retail Produce was owned and operated by Joe Nesker and his wife Bella.
Category
Food-related business
Source
Landmarks
Part Of
Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds
Jewish Community Centre Archives Committee series
Photograph collection sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 61; Series 2-2; File 39
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds
Jewish Community Centre Archives Committee series
Photograph collection sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
61
Series
2-2
File
39
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1958
Physical Description
11 photographs : b&w (2 negatives) ; 26 x 21 cm
Scope and Content
This file consists of photographs of the groundbreaking ceremonies for the northern Y.M.-Y.W.H.A. held in the winter of 1958. The photographs depict invited dignitaries and members of the executive reciting speeches at the podium. The photographs were used in the Y-Time newspaper.
Identified individuals in the photographs include Fred Gardiner, Rabbi Abraham Feinberg, Charles Draimin, Vernon Singer, Sam Granatstein, Ellis I. Shapiro, Samuel Factor M.P., H. Max Swartz and Nathan Phillips.
Subjects
Building
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds
Jewish Community Centre Archives Committee series
Photograph collection sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 61; Series 2-2; File 84
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds
Jewish Community Centre Archives Committee series
Photograph collection sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
61
Series
2-2
File
84
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1955
Physical Description
7 photographs : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm
Scope and Content
This file consists of photographs taken at the groundbreaking for the second Mothers' and Babes' Summer Rest Home in Tollandale, near Barrie. Present are Dora and Morris Till, Dr. Lipson, Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Lunenfeld and Al Ginsberg.
Subjects
Building
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds
Jewish Community Centre Archives Committee series
Photograph collection sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 61; Series 2-2; File 91
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds
Jewish Community Centre Archives Committee series
Photograph collection sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
61
Series
2-2
File
91
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1975
Physical Description
35 photographs : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm and 13 x 18 cm
Scope and Content
This file consists of photographs taken at the Northern Building Completion Program groundbreaking ceremonies on Sunday, 20 April 1975. The photos include images of the groundbreaking, plaque and flower presentations and the arrival and unveiling of the Jerusalem cornerstone flown in from Israel.
Identified individuals include invited guest Premier William Davis and Mrs. Davis, Mr. and Mrs. Wilfred Posluns, Murray and Marvelle Koffler, Amnon Gilad, John Wahl, Harold Green, Alex Fisher, Sam Granatstein, David Andrews, and Bert Fine.
Subjects
Building
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gilbert Studios fonds
Jewish community events series
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 37; Series 7; Item 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gilbert Studios fonds
Jewish community events series
Level
Item
Fonds
37
Series
7
Item
2
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[1954?]
Physical Description
1 negative : b&w ; 11 x 13 cm
Scope and Content
Photograph is of a groundbreaking ceremony that is likely for Baycrest Hospital, as the man standing 3rd from the left is Abe Posluns, President of the Jewish Home for the Aged and Baycrest Hospital.
Standing on the far left is J. Irving Oelbaum.
Name Access
Baycrest Hospital
Oelbaum, J. Irving, 1899-1966
Posluns, Abe
Subjects
Building
Hospitals
Portraits, Group
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gilbert Studios fonds
Jewish community events series
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 37; Series 7; Item 6
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gilbert Studios fonds
Jewish community events series
Level
Item
Fonds
37
Series
7
Item
6
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1951]
Physical Description
1 negative : b&w ; 11 x 13 cm
Admin History/Bio
In 1913 a charitable organization called the Ezras Noshim Society was formed to help elderly women. Ezras Noshim start collecting funds in 1917 to purchase a home that would be converted into Toronto's first Jewish Old Folks Home. The forerunner to Baycrest Centre opened in 1919 as the Toronto Jewish Old Folks Home on Cecil Street in downtown Toronto where the women of Ezras Noshim made beds, cooked kosher meals, washed sheets and sponsored fund-raising events.
In 1954, the Jewish Home for the Aged opened on Bathurst Street to accomodate their expanding needs and a new feature -- Baycrest Hospital.
This location continued to expand including a new building for residents in 1968, the Baycrest Terrace and The Joseph E. and Minnie Wagman Centre in 1976. These additions enabled Baycrest to expand their services to include a community centre, an enhanced apartment building, a home for the aged, a day care service and a hospital.
In 1986 a new Baycrest Hospital was erected, and in 1989, the Rotman Research Institute, which is also affiliated with the University of Toronto, opened to create a research facility enabling top researchers to study and find new treatment methods for the elderly.
In recent years, Baycrest's research activities have expanded to include the Clinical Epidemiology and Evaluation Unit (est. 1995), which evaluates clinical programs and conducts long-term studies of health issues affecting older adults and the Kunin Lunenfeld Clinical Research Unit (est. 1996), which links researchers with Baycrest clinical departments to enable prompt implementation of research findings. These two programs merged in 1998 to become the Kunin-Lunenfeld Applied Research Unit.
Apotex Centre, the Jewish Home for the Aged and the Louis and Leah Posluns Centre for Stroke and Cognition opened in 2000. This centre is responsible for residents with progressive dementia and vascular dementia.
Baycrest Centre also provides numerous cultural and religious programs for the inhabitants and the greater community, including a heritage museum, art exhibits and a Holocaust program.
Scope and Content
Photograph of the groundbreaking ceremony for Baycrest Hospital on Bathurst Street, which was erected along with the new building of the Jewish Home for the Aged.
Abe Posluns is on the far right.
Name Access
Baycrest Hospital
Posluns, Abe
Subjects
Building
Hospitals
Portraits, Group
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Bathurst Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gilbert Studios fonds
Zionist Centre cornerstone ceremony series
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 37; Series 3; Item 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gilbert Studios fonds
Zionist Centre cornerstone ceremony series
Level
Item
Fonds
37
Series
3
Item
1
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1962
Physical Description
1 negative : b&w ; 11 x 13 cm
Name Access
Gilbert, Al, 1922-
Subjects
Building
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rose Dunkelman fonds
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 39; Item 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rose Dunkelman fonds
Level
Item
Fonds
39
Item
2
Material Format
graphic material
Date
October 4, 1966
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 26 x 21 cm and 10 x 13 cm
Admin History/Bio
David Dunkelman (1883-1978) was born in Poland to Elias and Leah Dunkelman. He came to Canada with his parents in 1895, settling in Toronto. On 19 January 1910, he married Rose Miller (1889-1949), and together they had 6 children: Joseph, Ernest, Benjamin, Theodora, Veronica (Ourisman), and Zelda (Wilner). David Dunkelman was very active throughout his life in Zionist causes and in philanthropic and communal work. He was the founder, president and chairman of the board of Tip Top Tailors Ltd. (1911) which was one of the largest clothing manufacturers in Canada. For over 50 years David was one of the leaders of the Zionist Organization of Canada. He was also director of the Jewish Home for the Aged and Baycrest Hospital, one of the founders of the North Toronto YMHA, a founder and supporter of the Associated Hebrew Schools of Toronto, and one of the founders of a village in Israel known as Gan Chaim. He was a member of several clubs and lodges including B'nai Brith, the Empire Club, the Primrose Club and the Canadain Friends of Hebrew University. David married Pearl Reisman Rotenberg in 1950, after the death of his wife Rose Dunkelman in 1949.
Scope and Content
Photograph is of (left to right) Marvin Gerstein, Morry Wingold and David Dunkelman with some other gentlemen at the Mount Sinai extension groundbreaking in Toronto. The view is through the handle of a shovel.
Name Access
Gerstein, Marvin
Wingold, Morry
Dunkelman, David
Dunkelman, Benjamin
Dunkelman, Ernest
Dunkelman, Joseph
Dunkelman, Zelda
Dunkelman, Theodora
Dunkelman, Veronica
Rotenberg, Pearl Reisman
Subjects
Building
Hospitals
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1948
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm
Scope and Content
Photograph is of the sod turning for Beth Isaiah Synagogue in Guelph, Ontario.
Individuals in the photograph include: Nimoy Wolfond, Lou Brown, Joe Brown, Sam Acker, Jacob Adler, Joe Wolfond, Henry Rozen, Moshe Enushevsky, Mothie Brown, and Rubin Brown.
Notes
Identifying information is with accession record.
Name Access
Acker, Sam
Adler, Jacob
Beth Isaiah Congregation (Guelph, Ont.)
Brown, Joe
Brown, Lou
Brown, Mothie
Brown, Rubin
Enushevsky, Moshe
Rosen, Henry
Wolfond, Joe
Wolfond, Nimoy
Subjects
Building
Synagogues
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Guelph (Ont.)
Accession Number
1993-1-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
George Morrison fonds
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 99; Item 158
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
George Morrison fonds
Level
Item
Fonds
99
Item
158
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1979
Physical Description
1 slide : col. ; 35 mm
Name Access
Shaar Shalom Synagogue
Subjects
Building
Synagogues
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Don Mills Road (Toronto, Ont.)
Thornhill (Ont.)
Accession Number
1980-6-3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gilbert Studios fonds
Zionist Centre cornerstone ceremony series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 37; Series 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gilbert Studios fonds
Zionist Centre cornerstone ceremony series
Level
Series
Fonds
37
Series
3
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1962
Physical Description
21 negatives : b&w ; 11 x 13 cm
Admin History/Bio
The Zionist Centre's new building, home for the Toronto Zionist Council, was located at 788 Marlee Avenue.
The Toronto Zionist Council, the Toronto branch for the Zionist Organization of Canada, was founded in 1907.Their mandate was to promote the ideals of Z.O.C in Toronto, which necessitated the responsibility of heading up and organizing local programmes for the Toronto Jewish community.
This organization played a prominent role within the community, renting space to several Jewish organizations including: Ajalon Lodge, Camp Shalom, Canadian Zionist Federation, Hadassah Wizo, Herzl Zion Organization, Israel Medical Association, Jewish Agency, Jewish National Fund, Keltzer Sick Benefit Society, Keren Hatarbut, Linitzer Society, Sons of Abraham, Mozirer Society, Toronto Independent Benevolent Society, United Israel Appeal, Yavne Zion Congregation, Young Judaea, Youth & Hechalutz Zion Benevolent Society. The building also housed the Zionist Organization of Canada's national headquarters.
Many of these organizations were affiliated with the Toronto Zionist Council. Due to the volume of Zionist organizations operating out of the Zionist Centre, the building came to be regarded as the official centre for all Zionist activities in Toronto.
Plans for the new Zionist Centre of T.Z.C. were conceived in 1962 after the earlier building on Spadina Ave. was sold to the St. Vladimir's Ukrainian Institute.
Ground was broken on November 1, 1962 and a drawing of the building was put on display at the Diamond Jubilee Convention of the Zionist Organization of Canada held in Toronto.
The groundbreaking ceremony was held on Sunday December 23, 1962 at 11:00 am. The ceremony was officiated by members of the Toronto Zionist Council's building committee, which was comprised of: Louis L. Lockshin, Stephen E. Berger, John R. Devor, Controller Philip G. Givens, and Julius Hayman. Phil Givens--president--and Louis L. Lockshin--chairman of the building committee--conducted the ceremony.
Also present were Eliezer N. Dembitz, Consul of Israel; Joseph N. Frank, National President of the Zionist Organization of Canada; and Julius Hayman, President of the Central Division of Z.O.C.
Scope and Content
Series consists of the negatives documenting the laying of the cornerstone ceremony for the new Zionist Centre of the Toronto Zionist Council.
Notes
Selection for this series was based on the following criteria: site building, ceremonial, and members of the building committee.
Name Access
Zionist Centre
Toronto Zionist Council
Lockshin, Louis L.
Berger, Stephen E.
Devor, John R.
Givens, Philip G.
Hayman, Julius
Dembitz, Eliezer N.
Frank, Joseph N.
Zionist Organization of Canada
Ajalon Lodge
Camp Shalom
Canadian Zionist Federation
Hadassah-Wizo
Herzl Zion
Israel Medical Association
Jewish Agency
Jewish National Fund
Keltzer Sick Benefit Society
Keren Hatarbut
Linitzer Society
Sons of Abraham
Mozirer Society
Toronto Independent Benevolent Society
United Israel Appeal
Yavne Zion Congregation
Young Judeae
Youth & Hechalutz
Zion Benevolent Society
Subjects
Building
Zionism
Physical Condition
Negatives are cellulose triacetate.
Related Material
see also Zionist Organization of Canada fonds [fonds 28]
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Adas Israel Synagogue series
Building sub-series
Synagogue dedication and laying of the cornerstone file
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 4; Series 5-1; File 5; Item 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Adas Israel Synagogue series
Building sub-series
Synagogue dedication and laying of the cornerstone file
Level
Item
Fonds
4
Series
5-1
File
5
Item
2
Material Format
graphic material
Date
22 Oct. 1961
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 21 x 25 cm
Notes
Photograph is by Aron Studio.
Subjects
Building
Synagogues
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
George Morrison fonds
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 99; Item 159
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
George Morrison fonds
Level
Item
Fonds
99
Item
159
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1979
Physical Description
1 slide : col. ; 35 mm
Name Access
Shaar Shalom Synagogue
Subjects
Building
Synagogues
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Don Mills Road (Toronto, Ont.)
Thornhill (Ont.)
Accession Number
1980-6-3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
George Morrison fonds
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 99; Item 160
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
George Morrison fonds
Level
Item
Fonds
99
Item
160
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1979
Physical Description
1 slide : col. ; 35 mm
Name Access
Shaar Shalom Synagogue
Subjects
Building
Synagogues
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Don Mills Road (Toronto, Ont.)
Thornhill (Ont.)
Accession Number
1980-6-3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
National Council of Jewish Women of Canada fonds
Toronto Section series
Service Portfolio sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 38; Series 7-11; File 17
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
National Council of Jewish Women of Canada fonds
Toronto Section series
Service Portfolio sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
38
Series
7-11
File
17
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1973
Physical Description
25 photographs : b&w (12 slides) ; 14 x 10 cm or smaller
Scope and Content
File consists of 13 photographs taken at the groundbreaking ceremony, and 12 slides taken of activities at the Bernard Betel Centre.
Subjects
Building
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
National Council of Jewish Women of Canada fonds
Toronto Section series
Service Portfolio sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 38; Series 7-11; File 24
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
National Council of Jewish Women of Canada fonds
Toronto Section series
Service Portfolio sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
38
Series
7-11
File
24
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Date
1984-1987
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
59 photographs : b&w and col. (24 negatives) ; 18 x 13 cm or smaller
Scope and Content
File consists of two reports: a review of the support services for adults with physcial disabilites, and a Needs and Demand study and a newsclipping about the housing project. The photographs and negatives are of the housing project, featuring the ground breaking, and also activities within the home for residents.
Subjects
Building
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care fonds
Events series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 14; Series 11; File 15
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care fonds
Events series
Level
File
Fonds
14
Series
11
File
15
Material Format
textual record
Date
30 June 1983
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
file consists of an invitation.
Subjects
Building
Hospitals
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care fonds
Events series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 14; Series 11; File 17
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care fonds
Events series
Level
File
Fonds
14
Series
11
File
17
Material Format
textual record
object
Date
28 Aug. 1997
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
1 key chain : blue and gold ; 3 x 8 cm in box 2 x 17 x 2 cm
1 pen : blue and gold ; 14 cm long in box 2 x 17 x 2 cm
Scope and Content
file consists of an invitation, programme, agenda, and a commemorative key chain and pen. The key chain and pen are stored together in the same box.
Subjects
Building
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Dr. A.I. Willinsky fonds
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 81; Item 18
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Dr. A.I. Willinsky fonds
Level
Item
Fonds
81
Item
18
Material Format
moving images
Date
[ca. 1936]-1938
Physical Description
1 film reel (ca. 19 min.) : original, b&w, si. ; 16 mm
1 film reel (ca. 19 min.) : duplicate, 16 fps, b&w, si. ; 16 mm
1 DVD (ca. 19 min.) : duplicate, digital, b&w, si.
Scope and Content
Item is a documentary film about the rationale for, the construction of, and the opening ceremonies of the Holy Blossom Synagogue. Seen are shots of the crowded and dim classrooms within the old Bond St. Synagogue, its predecessor. Also seen are scenes of the official sod turning, the laying of the corner-stone, and some of the construction work on Holy Blossom at its new location at the corner of Bathurst Street and Ava Road. These are followed by various scenes of the new building’s interior and exterior. The film ends with the May 16, 1937 official opening ceremonies of, and the transfer of the Torah scrolls to, the new facility. Identified in the footage is Edmund Scheuer.
Notes
In 1988 a dupe negative and new check print were struck from the original positive print. As part of the new print production, both the original magnetic and optical sound tracks were utilized. This work was commissioned by and paid for by the Toronto Jewish Congress for its Archives.
Previously reel # 12
Name Access
Holy Blossom Temple (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Building
Synagogues
Torah scrolls
Physical Condition
Film has slight vinegar smell
Places
Ava Road (Toronto, Ont.)
Bathurst Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Bond Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Hoffman family fonds
Personal series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 6; Series 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Hoffman family fonds
Personal series
Level
Series
Fonds
6
Series
3
Material Format
multiple media
Date
[195-]-1962
Physical Description
5 cm of textual records
Admin History/Bio
Max and Celia Hoffman lived in Hamilton with their 2 children, Stephen and Jay. They were members of Adas Israel synagogue and the Beverley Golf and Country Club. The children attended the Hamilton Talmud Torah.
Scope and Content
Series contains correspondence and blueprints relating to the construction of the Hoffman residence. Also included are the Westlake Secondary School yearbook, the school attended by the Hoffman children and a biography of Meyer Hoffman, a relative of Max Hoffman. In addition, there is correspondence relating to the Hoffman family membership in the Beverley Golf and Country Club.
Name Access
Hamilton
Beverley Golf and Country Club
Subjects
Building
Education
Golf
Recreation
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Adas Israel Synagogue series
Building sub-series
Level
Sub-series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 5-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Adas Israel Synagogue series
Building sub-series
Level
Sub-series
Fonds
4
Series
5-1
Material Format
multiple media
Date
1958-1961
Physical Description
3 cm of textual records and other material
Scope and Content
Sub-series consists of material relating to the construction of Adas Israel synagogue's new building at 125 Cline Ave. South. This includes publicity brochures and financial records about the building campaign and correspondence, programmes, and a film of the turning of the sod. As well there is correspondence, programmes, photographs and audio recordings of the laying of the cornerstone and dedication of the synagogue. There is also a key to the synagogue which was presented at the dedication ceremony.
Notes
Physical description note: includes 27 photographs, 14 architectural drawings, 3 audio reels, 1 film reel, and 1 key.
Name Access
Adas Israel Congregation (Hamilton, Ont.)
Subjects
Building
Synagogues
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Dunkelman fonds
Business series
Tip Top Tailors sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 2; Series 3-1; File 7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Dunkelman fonds
Business series
Tip Top Tailors sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
2
Series
3-1
File
7
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Date
1966
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w ; 21 x 25 cm and 17 x 22 cm
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File contains a news clipping and two photographs in connection with David Dunkelman, Tip Top Tailors and Mount Sinai Hospital. Dunkelman took part in opening the hospital's new extension in 1966, along with Marvin Gerstein and Morry Wingold.
Subjects
Building
Hospitals
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Dora Till fonds
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care Women's Auxiliary series
Events sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 52; Series 2-5; File 8
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Dora Till fonds
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care Women's Auxiliary series
Events sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
52
Series
2-5
File
8
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
object
Date
30 June 1983
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
2 photographs : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm
1 object
Subjects
Building
Hospitals
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Dora Till fonds
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care Women's Auxiliary series
Events sub-series
New Baycrest Hospital groundbreaking file
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 52; Series 2-5; File 8; Item 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Dora Till fonds
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care Women's Auxiliary series
Events sub-series
New Baycrest Hospital groundbreaking file
Level
Item
Fonds
52
Series
2-5
File
8
Item
2
Material Format
graphic material
Date
30 June 1983
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a photograph of Dora Till with Abe Posluns and an unidentified woman at the groundbreaking for the New Baycrest Hospital. All three are holding gold ceremonial shovels in the ground. Pictured on the far left is Sid Cooper.
Subjects
Building
Hospitals
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds
Executive director series
Subject files sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 61; Series 1-1; File 52
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds
Executive director series
Subject files sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
61
Series
1-1
File
52
Material Format
textual record
Date
1975
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Admin History/Bio
The cultural and education wing of the northern branch of the Y.M.-Y.W.H.A. was supposed to be built as part of the original northern branch, opened in 1961. However, lack of funds caused the wing to be put on hold until the 1970 completion program began. The addition of the cultural and educational wing of the northern branch included the Koffler Centre for the Arts, the Leah Posluns Theatre and improved physical education facilities.
Scope and Content
This file contains two groundbreaking ceremony program booklets from 20 April 1975.
Subjects
Building
Accession Number
2004-5-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds
Executive director series
Subject files sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 61; Series 1-1; File 110
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds
Executive director series
Subject files sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
61
Series
1-1
File
110
Material Format
textual record
Date
1958
Physical Description
1 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
This file contains textual material documenting the groundbreaking ceremonies of the northern branch Y.M.-Y.W.H.A. on Bathurst Street. The records include invitations, community and executive correspondence, invite lists and ceremony itineraries.
Subjects
Building
Accession Number
2004-5-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Address
170 Brunswick Avenue
Source
Landmarks

Kalmen Greenspan & Sons was a butcher shop located on Brunswick Avenue.
Address
170 Brunswick Avenue
Scope Note
Kalmen Greenspan & Sons was a butcher shop located on Brunswick Avenue.
Category
Food-related business
Source
Landmarks
Address
319 Augusta Avenue
Source
Landmarks

Sam Gryfe started out peddling baked goods in Hamilton, Ontario around 1915. A store eventually opened at 319 Augusta Avenue in Kensington Market and operated during the 1930s. The bakery is now located on Bathurst Street. The bakery was also known as Crown Bakery. There was also a location in cottage country at Jackson's Point on Lake Simcoe.
Address
319 Augusta Avenue
Time Period
1930
Scope Note
Sam Gryfe started out peddling baked goods in Hamilton, Ontario around 1915. A store eventually opened at 319 Augusta Avenue in Kensington Market and operated during the 1930s. The bakery is now located on Bathurst Street. The bakery was also known as Crown Bakery. There was also a location in cottage country at Jackson's Point on Lake Simcoe.
Category
Food-related business
Source
Landmarks
Address
182 Brunswick Avenue
Source
Landmarks
Address
182 Brunswick Avenue
Category
Food-related business
Source
Landmarks
Address
295 Spadina Avenue
Source
Landmarks

Harry and Jennie Shopsowitz started Shopsy's Delicatessen, a family business in 1921. Harry died in October 1945 and the business was passed along to his sons, Sam Shopsowitz and Izzy Shopsowitz. The business grew and became known as Shopsy’s. Eventually, Sam opened a meat processing plant, in addition to the restaurants, and by 1947, he became known as the "the corned beef king" in advertisements. Shopsy's corned beef and hotdogs were sold in grocery stores.
Address
295 Spadina Avenue
Time Period
1921-1983
Scope Note
Harry and Jennie Shopsowitz started Shopsy's Delicatessen, a family business in 1921. Harry died in October 1945 and the business was passed along to his sons, Sam Shopsowitz and Izzy Shopsowitz. The business grew and became known as Shopsy’s. Eventually, Sam opened a meat processing plant, in addition to the restaurants, and by 1947, he became known as the "the corned beef king" in advertisements. Shopsy's corned beef and hotdogs were sold in grocery stores.
History
Shopsy's became an institution in the city where the likes of Bob Hope, Al Waxman, Dennis Hull, and Scott Bowman were regular customers. Sam suffered a stroke in 1982 and died in September 1984 at age 63. After 62 years on Spadina, the restaurant moved to Yonge Street at Front Street in March 1983.
Category
Food-related business
Source
Landmarks
Address
71 Kensington Avenue
Source
Landmarks

This store was owned and operated by Harry Trachter and his wife Becky (Cooper) Trachter.
Address
71 Kensington Avenue
Scope Note
This store was owned and operated by Harry Trachter and his wife Becky (Cooper) Trachter.
Category
Food-related business
Source
Landmarks
Address
649 College Street
Source
Landmarks

Moishe (Morris) Shternshis (ca. 1893-1976) was married to Fanny Rumianek (ca. 1896-1991). Moishe Stern owned and operated a dairy and delivered milk and other dairy products.
Address
649 College Street
Scope Note
Moishe (Morris) Shternshis (ca. 1893-1976) was married to Fanny Rumianek (ca. 1896-1991). Moishe Stern owned and operated a dairy and delivered milk and other dairy products.
Category
Food-related business
Source
Landmarks
Address
420 College Street
Source
Landmarks

Joseph Gary and Goldie (nee Lawrence) Gary married in 1921 in Rochester, N.Y. Shortly thereafter they moved to Toronto. Joseph and Goldie had three children; daughters Ethel (Halter) and Shirley (Cohen), and son Leslie. They owned and operated a grocery store on College Street. In 1950, after three years of visiting the region, Joseph and Goldie purchased a home on Amelia Street in Pontypool, ON. As the area was a popular summer resort spot for vacationing Jews from the 1940s to the 1960s, Joseph and Goldie decided to build 10 cottages on their land for rental, which they named Gary's Cottages. The area was relatively cheap and had a pond as its swimming spot. Kosher meals would often be brought in for the vacationers who arrived on two trains daily from Union station. The cottages were sold around 1970 and are no longer in existence, however their home is still standing.
Address
420 College Street
Scope Note
Joseph Gary and Goldie (nee Lawrence) Gary married in 1921 in Rochester, N.Y. Shortly thereafter they moved to Toronto. Joseph and Goldie had three children; daughters Ethel (Halter) and Shirley (Cohen), and son Leslie. They owned and operated a grocery store on College Street. In 1950, after three years of visiting the region, Joseph and Goldie purchased a home on Amelia Street in Pontypool, ON. As the area was a popular summer resort spot for vacationing Jews from the 1940s to the 1960s, Joseph and Goldie decided to build 10 cottages on their land for rental, which they named Gary's Cottages. The area was relatively cheap and had a pond as its swimming spot. Kosher meals would often be brought in for the vacationers who arrived on two trains daily from Union station. The cottages were sold around 1970 and are no longer in existence, however their home is still standing.
Category
Food-related business
Source
Landmarks
Address
234 Augusta Avenue
Source
Landmarks
Address
234 Augusta Avenue
Category
Food-related business
Source
Landmarks
Address
231 Augusta Avenue
Source
Landmarks
Address
231 Augusta Avenue
Category
Food-related business
Source
Landmarks
Address
322 Spadina Avenue
Source
Landmarks

Opened in 1946 when the neighbourhood was still teaming with Jews working and living in the neighbourhood, this deli was one of the last to close in the area, in 1946. The Switzer family lived at 35 Nassau Street.
Address
322 Spadina Avenue
Time Period
1946-1991
Scope Note
Opened in 1946 when the neighbourhood was still teaming with Jews working and living in the neighbourhood, this deli was one of the last to close in the area, in 1946. The Switzer family lived at 35 Nassau Street.
Category
Food-related business
Source
Landmarks
Address
338 Spadina Avenue
Source
Landmarks

United Bakers Dairy Restaurant was first established by Aaron and Sarah Ladovsky in 1912 on Dundas Street at Bay Street in the Ward. They moved the restaurant to 338 Spadina Ave. in 1920. Aaron Ladovsky was involved in a number of community organizations. He was instrumental in founding the Kieltzer Society of Toronto in 1913; a community based immigrant-aid association extending aid to Kielcers in Poland and around the world. Ladovsky remained an active member of the organization until his death on April 5, 1960. His restaurant provided a welcome gathering place for the Jewish community, serving traditional dishes and maintaining a friendly open-door policy. Aaron Ladovsky was known for his generosity and claimed that no one, whether they had money or not, left his restaurant hungry. The United Bakers' menu was mainly based on Sarah’s original recipes, and continues to be so to this day.
Address
338 Spadina Avenue
Time Period
1920-1986
Scope Note
United Bakers Dairy Restaurant was first established by Aaron and Sarah Ladovsky in 1912 on Dundas Street at Bay Street in the Ward. They moved the restaurant to 338 Spadina Ave. in 1920. Aaron Ladovsky was involved in a number of community organizations. He was instrumental in founding the Kieltzer Society of Toronto in 1913; a community based immigrant-aid association extending aid to Kielcers in Poland and around the world. Ladovsky remained an active member of the organization until his death on April 5, 1960. His restaurant provided a welcome gathering place for the Jewish community, serving traditional dishes and maintaining a friendly open-door policy. Aaron Ladovsky was known for his generosity and claimed that no one, whether they had money or not, left his restaurant hungry. The United Bakers' menu was mainly based on Sarah’s original recipes, and continues to be so to this day.
History
Aaron and Sarah had twin sons, Herman and Samuel. During the Second World War, Herman served overseas as an electrician in the Canadian army show with comics Johnny Wayne and Frank Shuster. After returning from the war, he married Dora Macklin in 1947, a registered nurse from Regina. He also began to take over management of the family business. Later, Herman's son Philip and daughter Ruth would follow in his footsteps, first helping to run the restaurant with him and later taking over management. United Bakers remained on Spadina Avenue for 66 years - until 1986 when it moved to its current location at 506 Lawrence Avenue West, off of Bathurst Street. Herman was an active fixture in the restaurant until his death on January 6, 2002. He also supported and was involved in the work of the Ontario Jewish Archives over the years.
Category
Food-related business
Source
Landmarks
Address
275 Spadina Avenue
Source
Landmarks

Goldenberg's restaurant, which was kosher, was located at 275 Spadina Ave and was owned by Mr Joseph S. Goldenberg. He made additions to the restaurant in 1929 and 1935 by architect Benjamin Brown.
Address
275 Spadina Avenue
Time Period
1925-
Scope Note
Goldenberg's restaurant, which was kosher, was located at 275 Spadina Ave and was owned by Mr Joseph S. Goldenberg. He made additions to the restaurant in 1929 and 1935 by architect Benjamin Brown.
History
The restaurant was originally located in the Ward at 63 Elizabeth Street.
Category
Food-related business
Source
Landmarks
Address
350 College Street
Source
Landmarks

Wellts delicatessen was founded by Peter and Fannie Wellts in the 1910s at 350 College Street. Peter Wellts was born in Tarnigrad, Poland in 1888 and Fannie Brown was born in New York City in 1889. They met in New York and moved with Fannie’s family to Toronto in 1910. Peter worked in the garment district prior at the start of the restaurant business. Peter and Fannie married in Toronto on November 26, 1910. They had two daughters Sylvia (b. August 26, 1911) (m. Walfish) and Ethel (b. January 7, 1928) (m. Rochwerg). They lived in an apartment above the delicatessen. When Ethel married her husband Nathan Rochwerg in 1948, they moved in with Fannie and Peter above the deli. Ethel and Nathan had three children Martin, Arlene (m. Kochberg), and Sidney. When Peter was in his 70s, it was decided that the family would move north into the Bathurst Manor and close the deli. Peter had a heart attack on December 26, 1959, before the move, and Fannie moved in with Nathan and Ethel and their three children. The deli closed in 1959.
Address
350 College Street
Time Period
1912-1959
Scope Note
Wellts delicatessen was founded by Peter and Fannie Wellts in the 1910s at 350 College Street. Peter Wellts was born in Tarnigrad, Poland in 1888 and Fannie Brown was born in New York City in 1889. They met in New York and moved with Fannie’s family to Toronto in 1910. Peter worked in the garment district prior at the start of the restaurant business. Peter and Fannie married in Toronto on November 26, 1910. They had two daughters Sylvia (b. August 26, 1911) (m. Walfish) and Ethel (b. January 7, 1928) (m. Rochwerg). They lived in an apartment above the delicatessen. When Ethel married her husband Nathan Rochwerg in 1948, they moved in with Fannie and Peter above the deli. Ethel and Nathan had three children Martin, Arlene (m. Kochberg), and Sidney. When Peter was in his 70s, it was decided that the family would move north into the Bathurst Manor and close the deli. Peter had a heart attack on December 26, 1959, before the move, and Fannie moved in with Nathan and Ethel and their three children. The deli closed in 1959.
History
The deli was known for 5 cent pastrami/corned beef sandwiches sold during the depression. Peter Wellts never let anyone go hungry during this period. They had Vernor's ginger ale on tap during a time when everything was in bottles. Deliveries would come in through the backyard by the garage. It was kosher. Ethel remembers people coming in to use the phone in the kitchen or the washroom in the basement.
Category
Food-related business
Source
Landmarks
Address
332 Spadina Avenue
Source
Landmarks

Walerstein's ice cream parlour was owned by Abraham Walerstein, who was originally from Hamilton, Ontario. He opened it in 1917 and it became a hang out for Social Democrats.
Address
332 Spadina Avenue
Time Period
1917-unknown
Scope Note
Walerstein's ice cream parlour was owned by Abraham Walerstein, who was originally from Hamilton, Ontario. He opened it in 1917 and it became a hang out for Social Democrats.
Category
Food-related business
Source
Landmarks
Address
399 Spadina Avenue
Source
Landmarks

N. Hoffman Grocery was owned and operated by Nathan (Nahum) Hoffman and his wife Rivka. They first owned a grocery store at 339 Centre Avenue in St. John's Ward. In 1915, they moved their store to Spadina Ave.
Address
399 Spadina Avenue
Time Period
1915-
Scope Note
N. Hoffman Grocery was owned and operated by Nathan (Nahum) Hoffman and his wife Rivka. They first owned a grocery store at 339 Centre Avenue in St. John's Ward. In 1915, they moved their store to Spadina Ave.
Category
Food-related business
Source
Landmarks
Address
193 Baldwin Street
Source
Landmarks

The Perlmutar Bakery was opened in 1911 by Arrin Perlmutar who had immigrated to Canada from the Ukraine by way of London, England. He opened the bakery on the main floor of his home while his family of seven lived upstairs. The bakery had a wood-burning brick oven until the 1960s, when the city forced them to convert to electric.
Address
193 Baldwin Street
Time Period
1911-1974
Scope Note
The Perlmutar Bakery was opened in 1911 by Arrin Perlmutar who had immigrated to Canada from the Ukraine by way of London, England. He opened the bakery on the main floor of his home while his family of seven lived upstairs. The bakery had a wood-burning brick oven until the 1960s, when the city forced them to convert to electric.
History
The bakery was best known for their onion buns and rye bread. Electric mixers were used for cakes and bread but almost every other step was done by hand. Bread baking was started by 10:00 pm so that there would be fresh bread to deliver in the morning. The bakery closed in 1974.
Category
Food-related business
Source
Landmarks
Address
29 Baldwin Street
Source
Landmarks

Mandel’s opened between 1913-1920. It was initially owned by Harry Mandel. After 1944, it was owned by one of his sons William Mandel. And, in the 1950s, it was owned by the brothers Saul, Abraham, Ben, and William Mandel, from approx. From 1960 to approximately 1965, it was owned by William Mandel (exclusively).
Address
29 Baldwin Street
Time Period
1915-1970
Scope Note
Mandel’s opened between 1913-1920. It was initially owned by Harry Mandel. After 1944, it was owned by one of his sons William Mandel. And, in the 1950s, it was owned by the brothers Saul, Abraham, Ben, and William Mandel, from approx. From 1960 to approximately 1965, it was owned by William Mandel (exclusively).
History
Mandel's Creamery manufactured cream cheese, cottage cheese, sour cream, and butter milk under the labels Mandel Bros. & Silver Brand. They also manufactured for private label brands and other wholesale and retail customers. They also sold wholesale butter, eggs, and hard cheese which they did not manufacture. Low salt & low fat cottage was a specialty sold to institutions such as Baycrest Hospital. Their customers included supermarkets, bakeries, restaurants, institutions, resorts, and summer camps. There were also retail sales out of the store front at 29 Baldwin St. The business was sold around 1965 to Mr. Bricks and Mr. Caplan who then sold it to Western Creamery some years later.
Category
Food-related business
Source
Landmarks
43 records – page 1 of 1.

Narrow By

Collection Name

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Place

Restrictions

Available Digital Content