Accession consists of two volumes of the Canadian Jewish War Memorial Book of Remembrance. The first of these two volumes contains lists of Jewish soldiers who served in the Canadian military during the South African war, the First and Second World Wars and Korea. It also lists current day Jewish peacekeepers. There are photos and lists of Jewish chaplains who served in the military. For each war, it lists awards, casualties, soldiers' positions and identification numbers. The second volume contains lists of American soldiers who served in the Canadian military.
This book was presented by the Canadian Jewish War Memorial Association to the US Consulate who subsequently donated it to the Ontario Jewish Archives.
Accession consists of records documenting Samuel Berger and his family. Included is Sam's marriage certificate, wedding invitation, naturalization certificates, and pay book and discharge papers from the First World War. Also included is a copy of the birth certificate for Sam's wife, Rebecca (nee Rotenberg) and a newsclipping of the obituary for Rebecca's father, Lazar Rotenberg.
The records were in the possession of Goldie Berger, the daughter-in-law of Samuel Berger and wife of Leonard Berger.
Samuel Berger enlisted in the Canadian army in Oct. 1918. He was discharged in Dec. 1918. He married Rebecca Rotenberg in 1917.
Accession consists of 19 digital photos of Shoresh activities including beekeeping, farming, the Kavanah Garden in Vaughan, Maxie's Garden in Kensington Market, a map of Bela Farm in Hillsburgh, and gardening at Baycrest. Also included is a copy of Shoresh 2016 Year in Review.
Shoresh is a grassroots Jewish environmental organization in Southern Ontario. They exist to nurture a regional Jewish community that sees environmental ethics as a core element of Jewish identity, and is actively committed to responsible stewardship of the earth. They do this through educational programs that link Jewish texts and teachings with experiences of awe and wonder of the natural world; leadership opportunities that invest in the next generation of Jewish environmental leaders; and responsive action including environmental advocacy and the production of sustainable products that enrich Jewish life. They operate out of Shoresh’s Kavanah Garden in Vaughan, Bela Farm in Hillsburgh, and through schools, synagogues, camps, and community organizations throughout the Greater Toronto Area.
PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION NOTE: There is a PDF version of image #19 of Bela Farm
Accession consists of B'nai Brith Women Toronto cookbooks from 1958, 1960-1963, 1967-1972, and B'nai Brith Women's Council of Toronto yearbooks from 1973, 1975-1976. Each cookbook has a specific theme: Food for Fun; Dinner Dates; Chef's Choice; Gourmet Goodies; Around the World; Candlelight and Wine; Calories a la Carte; Gourmet's Gallery; Confessions of a Bala Busta; Dinner Magic; and People Helping People. The 1972 issue is both a yearbook and a cookbook. From 1973 on, the yearbooks, entitled Pledged to Serve, no longer contained any recipes and instead focused solely on the work of the B'nai Birth Women's Council of Toronto and its chapters.
There is no acquisition information for this accession. The accession number was assigned by the archivist.
Accession consists of original and copies of documents and newspaper clippings pertaining to Lawrence Kert's service as a pilot during the First World War. Included are his graduation certificate from the Royal Flying Corps, his flight log, documents, and press clippings concerning his capture by the Germans.
Lawrence Kert left the University of Toronto to enlist in the 228th Battalion in 1915, and was transferred to the Royal Air Force in 1917. He was listed as missing, but was actually a prisoner of war. He survived and returned to Canada.
Accession consists of a notice in Yiddish from Rabbi Meir Levy announcing to the Jewish community that shochtim Yichiel Wagman and Soloway, Hymie Weisfeld, Lazar Salkovitch, and Moishe Gross are valid, certified kosher butchers. These shochtim, it states, are well known in Toronto, learned in Torah, and they have been certified under the strictest rules of kashrut.
Accession consists of one Shopsy's Delicatessen menu from March 1985. The deli introduced a new menu on 1 April 1985. It is a laminated, oversized, three-panel menu and is from the deli located at Yonge and Front Streets, across from the former O'Keefe Centre.
Harry and Jennie Shopsowitz started the family business, Shopsy's Delicatessen, in 1921. The first location was on Spadina Avenue at Dundas Street and was initially an ice-cream parlour, although they quickly converted it into a delicatessen in 1922. Shopsy's became an institution in the city where the likes of Bob Hope, Al Waxman, Dennis Hull and Scotty Bowman were regular customers. Harry's three sons took over the business in 1947. The brothers, Sam and Israel, expanded the business by packaging and distributing their hotdogs and corned beef to grocery stores. Sam Shopsowitz, the more gregarious of the two brothers, was known as the "Corned Beef King".