Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
69 records – page 1 of 2.
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
Cemetery Committee series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 17; Series 22
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
Cemetery Committee series
Level
Series
Fonds
17
Series
22
Material Format
textual record
Date
1951-1959
Physical Description
18 cm of textual records
Admin History/Bio
The Ontario government was putting pressure on the Jewish cemeteries spread around Toronto to clear up the disorder in the burial grounds to ensure a system of perpetual care. The cemeteries were approached with this in view. In the end, through the efforts of Al Ginsburg of Beth Tzedec, the Dawes Rd. and Jones Avenue properties were reorganized, a permanent fulltime groundskeeper was engaged (A.M. Levy) and adminstration was improved. The other cemeteries remained outside of this new organization which was named the Amalgamated Dawes Road Trustees. Some of these made their own arrangements. Canadian Jewish Congress lent its administrative help to the Amalgamated Dawes Rd. Trustees, hence this committee.
Scope and Content
Series consists of general files of the Cemetery Commitee.
Notes
Series formerly described and cited as RG254.
Subjects
Committees
Cemeteries
Source
Archival Descriptions
Accession Number
2014-1-14
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2014-1-14
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
100 photographs : col. slides ; 35 mm
Date
[ca. 1980]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of 100 slides documenting UJA Federation employees and the work space at the 150 Beverley Street location and a couple slides showing the construction of the Lipa Green building.
Custodial History
Negatives were found stored in tribute card work space cabinets.
Use Conditions
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Subjects
Architecture
Charities
Name Access
UJA Federation of Greater Toronto
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2014-5-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2014-5-2
Material Format
multiple media
Physical Description
15 cm of textual records
8 architectural drawings
2 CDs
Date
1960-2011, predominant 2011
Scope and Content
Accession consists of architectural drawings for the construction of the Northern YM-YWHA at 4600 Bathurst Street (1960) as well as floor plans for the proposed re-development of the site in 1999. Also included are submissions for the competition to design and build the Jewish War Veterans of Canada memorial at the Sherman Campus (2011).
Use Conditions
UJA Federation meeting minutes and general correspondence are closed for 10 years from date of creation. Contracts and donor agreements are permanently closed.
Subjects
Architecture
Charities
Veterans--Canada
Name Access
Young Men's Hebrew Association (Toronto, Ont.)
Bathurst Jewish Community Centre
Jewish War Veterans of Canada
UJA Federation of Greater Toronto
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2014-10-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2014-10-2
Material Format
multiple media
Physical Description
40 cm of textual records and other material
Date
[192-]-[200-]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records related to the life and career of David Green and the Jaffey family. Records include sound and video recordings of events, Goodwill Sales accounting ledgers, meeting minutes from the Jewish Canadian Military Archives and Museum, David Green's military ephemera, manuals and reports of the Jewish Federation Board of Trustees and Bequest and Endowment Fund, and Jaffey family correspondence and photographs. Records also include certificates of appreciation awarded to David Green, mainly from UJA Federation.
Administrative History
David Green (1919-2014) was born in the Junction in west Toronto. He served as a private in the Canadian army as part of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. He was captured and designated MIA when he was held as a POW in Belgium. He became a member of General Wingate Branch 256 Jewish Canadian Legion. In the mid-1940s he married his wife, Sylvia (nee Jaffey) (d. 2010) and they had a daughter, Miriam. He was a longtime volunteer for the UJA Federation of Greater Toronto. In 1990, he was one of the first individuals to establish an Endowment Fund at the Jewish Foundation of Greater Toronto.
The Jaffey family consisted of Kaby Jaffey, his wife, Nellie, and their children Sylvia, Jess and Albert.
Descriptive Notes
Physical description note: Accession also consists of photographs and textiles.
Subjects
Canada--Armed Forces
Charities
Families
World War, 1939-1945
Name Access
Green, David, 1919-2014
Places
Toronto, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2015-9-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2015-9-1
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
74 photographs : b&w and col. ; 13 x 18 cm or smaller
Date
1979-1994
Scope and Content
Accession consists of photographs documenting the Jerome D. Diamond Adolescent Centre. Included are photographs of Rosh Hashanah, Sukkot, Channukah parties, Stan Lerner Day, the D.A.R.E Project, Purim, Boundless Adventures, and other activities of the Centre.
Use Conditions
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Subjects
Charities
Youth
Nonprofit organizations
Name Access
Jerome D. Diamond Adolescent Centre (Toronto, Ont.)
Jewish Family and Child Services (Toronto, Ont.)
Places
Toronto, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2015-9-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2015-9-3
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
1949-1955
Scope and Content
Accession consists of documents such as letters and minutes of meetings of the Jewish Social Service Agencies of the United Jewish Welfare Fund, of which JVS was a member agency.
Custodial History
There is no information on the acquisition of this material. We believe that it likely originated from Milton Friedman, Executive Director of JVS.
Subjects
Charities
Nonprofit organizations
Name Access
Jewish Vocational Service (Toronto, Ont.)
Friedman, Milton
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2015-9-8
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2015-9-8
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
1950-1953
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a letter from Rabbi Slonim convening a meeting and minutes of meetings of the Rabbinical Welfare Committee over the period.
Custodial History
There is no information on the aquisition of the documents. However, the first letter in the textual records is from Rabbi Reuben Slonim and his name is included on all of the documents in the textual record.
Administrative History
The purpose of the Rabbinical Welfate Committee was (quoting from a document dated March 22, 1950) 'to consider matters that are strictly religious in nature. In matters of a community or public relations nature, the Committee will work closely with Congress.'
Subjects
Committees
Meetings
Religion
Name Access
Canadian Jewish Congress, Central Region (Toronto, Ont.)
Places
Toronto, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2015-10-4
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2015-10-4
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
Physical Description
ca. 250 photographs (3 albums) : b&w and col. ; 53 x 43 cm and smaller
9 cm of textual records
Date
(191-)-(197-), 1992
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records related to the Title, Samuels and Fishman families. Included are family photographs, and photos related to involvement with philanthropy and industry, materials related to Reliable Toy Company, Forest Hill Collegiate "Forester" year books, a land deed for the Ansheir Yoisher Misrachi Synagogue in Welland, news clippings relating to Alex Samuels death, a Holy Blossom "Tempelite" year book, a Crown Bakery Bread promotional item, a wedding menu from the marriage of Molly Fishman and Harry Title, Molly Fishman's high school diplomas and JNF certificates. There are a number of photos of the Fishman and Title families in Welland and the United States, photos of the Crowland Volunteer Fire Department with Sam and Frank Fishman, Turk family albums with Moishe Turk and Yeva Fishman, an album of a sefer torah dedication to Baycrest Hospital in memory of Leah Fishman, photos of the Samuels family, their trip to Israel, promotional photos from the Reliable Toy Company, Beth Tzedec founding board photos, and B'nai Brith Women photos.
Administrative History
Samuel (ca. 1882-1929, Russia) and Gussie (nee Moscovitz) (b. ca.1884, Romania) Fishman, immigrated to Welland Ontario from Romania. Both arrived to the USA as teenagers sometime around the turn of the century. Samuel and Gussie were married in the USA and by 1920 immigrated with their young family to the historic township of Crowland in Welland County. Here they opened and operated a men's clothing store. Together they had six children, Molly (b. 1909, USA), Abe (b. 1911, USA), Morris (b. 1916, USA), Ruth (b. 1915, USA), Ann (b. 1920, Ontario) and Ethel. Morris married Pauline and lived in St. Catherines, Ruth married Nate Oelbaum and lived in Tucson Arizona, Anne married Alec Rothman and lived in Port Colborne, Ethel married Eddie Matchtinger and lived in Toronto and Abe never married. Yeva Fishman, the niece of Samuel Fishman married Morris Turk. Her father was (Frank Fishman?) and her mother was Sara Leah Fishman. Molly Fishman married Harry Title (Teitelebaum) (b. ca. 1903). They had three children, Greta (nee Title) Greisman, Sandra (nee Title) Samuels and Stephen (m. Carole Hillman, niece of Ben Hillman). Harry Teitelbaum is the son of Israel and Frumeth Teitelbaum. He was born in Gdansk Poland (b. ca., 1903). Harry Title had four younger siblings Lloyd, Birdie (m. Witlin), Arthur and Lorelle (Lieba) the youngest who was born in Toronto. Harry arrived to Canada shortly after the first world war and worked in the garment industry. He and his brother Arthur founded the Title Dress Company in the late 1920s and operated the business out of 355 Adelaide St. West. In the late 1980s, the business moved from this location to Adelaide and Bathurst. Sandra Title (b. Oct 27, 1936, Toronto), the middle daughter of Molly Fishman and Harry Title, married Lawrence Samuels. Together they had five children Joanna, John, Noah, Tom and Caroline. Lawrence was the eldest son of Alex Samuels (d. 1966) and Kate (nee Goldberg) Samuels. He had two younger siblings Herbie and Florence (m. Bill Goodman). Lawrence's father Alex Samuels immigrated to Canada from Dubrovna, White Russia (present day Dubrouna, Belarus). He immigrated to Canada with his parents Samuel and Chana Samuels and his younger siblings Sol, Ben, Riva and Polly. Alex and his brothers Sol and Ben established Reliable Toy Company in (ca. 1929) on Carlaw Ave. They sold the company in 1990.
Subjects
Business
Charities
Families
Places
Welland, Ont.
Toronto, Ont.
Israel
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2015-8-11
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2015-8-11
Material Format
textual record
textual record (electronic)
Physical Description
ca. 2.5 metres of textual records
10 CDs
Date
1974-2011
Scope and Content
Accession consists of textual records documenting the governance and activities of the Jewish Family and Child (formerly Jewish Family and Child Services). Included are program reports and meeting materials from 1995 to 2011. Meeting materials document the following committees: Child and Youth Services, Family and Community Services, Budget and Finance, Management, Board of Directors, Executive Committee, Supervisors/Management, and Staff meetings.
Also included are CDs with scanned copies of JF&CS's Board of Director's and Executive Committee meeting minutes for the time period from 1974 to 2000.
Use Conditions
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Subjects
Charities
Children
Families
Nonprofit organizations
Name Access
Jewish Family and Child (Toronto, Ont.)
Jewish Family and Child Services (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-6-12
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-6-12
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
Physical Description
ca. 60 cm of textual records
11 photographs (3 negatives) : b&w ; 20 x 25 cm or smaller
Date
1976-[ca. 1990]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of textual and graphic records that trace Natan Sharansky's history as a prisoner of political conscience; the broader Refusenik issue; and the community advocacy efforts of Debby and Stan Solomon from 1976 and into the late 1980s at the local, national and international scales. Included are memos and newsletters from the Committee for Soviet Jewry (Ontario Region and national-level); background information as well as petition templates, speeches and planning documentation produced by the Committee to Release Anatoly Sharansky and the Beth Tikvah Synagogue in conjunction with community organizations, including the CJC and its Soviet Jewry social action committees, to support on-going advocacy efforts; correspondence with Canadian and American political representatives at the provincial/state and national levels; white papers/grey literature from non-governmental organizations about the persecution of the Soviet Jewry; planning documentation from the First Annual Sharansky Lectureship on Human Rights in 1980; correspondence, articles and ephemera associated with the granting of Sharansky's honourary law doctorate from York University in 1982; 1985 Freedom Rally/Weekend in Ottawa planning documentation and correspondence; 1987 National Conference on the Soviet Jewry and Mobilization for Freedom planning documentation; 1987 Community Rally at Massey Hall promotional materials; and promotional materials from Sharansky's autobiographical "Fear No Evil" 1988 book launch. Graphic material includes photographs of Sharansky's release during the February 11, 1986 American-Soviet prisoner exchange on the Glienicke Bridge in Berlin.
Identified in the photographs are: Debby Solomon; Alan Solomon; Natan Sharansky; Avital Sharansky; U.S. Ambassador Richard Burt;
Custodial History
Material was collected and/or created by Debby Solomon, Natan Sharansky's cousin. Debby donated it to the OJA.
Administrative History
Debby Solomon is the cousin of Anatoly (Natan) Sharansky, the Soviet born Israeli politician, human activist and author who spent nine years in Soviet prisons. Debby's father Boris Landis (born 1900) and Sharansky's father were first cousins.Their grandfathers were brothers. Debby's father immigrated 1929 to Toronto from Russia as his older brothers were already in Toronto. Debby and her husband Stan Solomon got involved in the community's activism efforts to free Sharansky and other Refuseniks.They were worked for many years on these efforts by planning programs through their synagogue Beth Tikvah and with Sam Filer, a lawyer and volunteer at the CJC who was also a member of Beth Tikvah.
Subjects
Antisemitism
Politics and government
Human rights
Demonstrations
Synagogues
Committees
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-3-69
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-3-69
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
1950-1991
Scope and Content
Accession consists of interviews with various persons concerning their link with Goel Tzedec and its successor synagogue, Beth Tzedec. The interviews were primarily conducted by Ben Keyfetz and Jack Orenstien, the latter serving as the Executive Director of Beth Tzedec, at that time. Persons interviewed included Carl Keyfetz, N.N. Levine, Meyer Axler, and Bert Godfrey. There is also other information in the file concerning Cantors and Rabbis who served at Goel Tzedec, including Julius Price, Bernard Wladowsky, Jacob Gordon, and Samuel Sachs. There is a document from Bert Godfrey, undated but with a reference to 1950, titled 'Report of Construction Sub-Committee'. This presumably preceded the construction of the building housing the Beth Tzedec Synagogue on Bathurst Street. Also included is a 1955 publication of the Ne'ilah Service of Beth Tzedec to take place on February 6, 1955, concluding a half century of worship at the synagogue on University Avenue. Lastly, there are several pages of notes concerning the synagogue and its history.
Custodial History
There is no information on the acquisition of this material.
Subjects
Committees
Synagogues
Rabbis
Name Access
Kayfetz, Benjamin, 1916-2002
Places
Toronto, Ontario
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2017-4-7
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2017-4-7
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
Physical Description
8 cm of textual records
1 photograph : col. ; 13 x 18 cm
Date
2004-2010
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a photograph of Ted Sokolsky and textual records that include: Centre Square Seniors' Centre Program and Design Brief (2004), Israel Emergency Campaign Fact Finding Trip by Ted Sokolsky and Adam Minsky (2007), Israel Emergency Campaign Proposal Draft 1 (2007) and a photo scrapbook of the Hatzor Ha'Glilit Early Childhood Centre (2010) thanking the UJA for its contribution to the construction of its new building.
Custodial History
Donated by Adam Minsky's office.
Use Conditions
UJA Federation meeting minutes and general correspondence are closed for 10 years from date of creation. Contracts and donor agreements are permanently closed.
Subjects
Charities
Israel
Older people
Name Access
UJA Federation of Greater Toronto
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2017-8-10
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2017-8-10
Material Format
multiple media
Physical Description
3 cm of textual records
3 photographs : b&w ; 13 x 9 cm and smaller
1 DVD
Date
[ca. 1920]-2012
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records related to the history of the Dora Wilensky Salsberg Memorial Fund at Jewish Family and Child. Included are: a Canadian Jewish News feature ("Legacy of Life") on Dora Wilensky; a Dora Wilensky Memorial Fund pamphlet; correspondence from J.B. Salsberg regarding Sharyn’s ongoing role with the Jewish Communal Service Graduate Studies Scholarship Program; correspondence regarding the Fund between Sharyn Salsberg Ezrin and Richard Cummings, Ron Levin, Gordon Wolfe, and Sam Helfenbaum; fund and endowment statements regarding the Dora Wilensky Memorial Fund; and correspondence between Sharyn and the Toronto Jewish Congress Endowment Fund. Also includes: records documenting the J.B. Salsberg Tribute Dinner held at Beth Sholom Synagogue on November 13, 1991; Canadian Jewish News and Toronto Life profiles of J.B. Salsberg; an interview of J.B. Salsberg by Sandy Naiman; J.B. Salsberg's eulogy by Irving Abella; and one DVD of a J.B. Salsberg video tribute. Also includes three photographs of J.B. Salsberg and Dora Wilensky, and four issues of various JF&CS publications.
Administrative History
Dora Wilensky Salsberg was one of Toronto’s earliest professionally trained Jewish social workers and a leader in the Canadian social work field. She was born in Russia on July 28, 1902 to Hyman and Mary Wilensky. She had three younger sisters: Bertha (b. 1903) Jenny (b. 1905), and Fagel (b.1910). In 1907, the family immigrated to Toronto where Hyman worked at a cap factory. Dora had the highest marks in the province of Ontario upon graduating from high school and graduated as a gold medalist in modern history from McMaster University in Toronto. She initially pursued a career in teaching, but had difficulty securing a job due to discrimination. When her only job offer from Oshawa was given on the condition that she change her last name, Dora decided to become a social worker. After studying at the New York School for Social Work and working briefly in Chicago, Dora returned to Toronto and took up the position as Executive Director of the Jewish Family Welfare Bureau in 1931. When the JF&CS was formed in 1943 she served as its first Executive Director. Under her leadership, JF&CS gained a reputation as being one of the most advanced and progressive agencies in Toronto. She was among the first to hire a psychiatric social worker and to introduce play therapy as part of treatment; she remained on top of advances being made in the field in other countries and encouraged her staff to regularly engage in professional development activities. Dora was also actively involved in various professional organizations. She was a member of the National Board of the Canadian Association of Social Workers, served on the Board of Governors and various committees of the Canadian Welfare Council, and was active on the Social Planning Council (formerly the Welfare Council of Toronto). In addition, she was instrumental in the establishment of the University of Toronto’s post-graduate course in social work. For her service to the field, she earned both the King George V and Coronation medals. Around 1925, Dora married J.B. Salsberg. Although she legally adopted his name, she always used her maiden name professionally. They did not have any children. On March 20, 1959, Dora passed away from cancer at the age of 56.
Subjects
Charities
Charities
Name Access
Salsberg, J. B. (Joseph B.), ca. 1903-1998
Wilensky, Dora, 1902-1959
Places
Toronto, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2017-12-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2017-12-1
Material Format
moving images
Physical Description
8 videocassettes : Betacam SP and Digital Betacam
Date
1998-2006
Scope and Content
Accession consists of 8 videocassettes that belonged to UJA Federation of Greater Toronto's Creative Department. Cassettes include: United Jewish Appeals The Campaign for Fifty (1998), UJA Federation Symposium of Hope (2003), UJA Federation 2004 "What Will Tomorrow Hold?" Canvasser Training (2003), UJA Federation Tomorrow Campaign "End Video" (2004), UJA Federation Tomorrow Campaign "Tomorrow Campaign" (2004), UJA "Israel Emergency Campaign" (2006)
Custodial History
Amit Louis and Amy Krasin of the Creative Department were cleaning out an old desk in the summer of 2017 and found the tapes. Amit suggested bringing the tapes to the archives, which Amy did sometime thereafter.
Administrative History
UJA Federation's Tomorrow Campaign is Canada’s largest non-profit community development project. It is Federation's response to the need for new facilities and services brought about by the growth of Toronto’s Jewish community.
Subjects
Charities
Name Access
UJA Federation of Greater Toronto
Places
Israel
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2017-12-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2017-12-3
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
1988-1994
Scope and Content
Accession consists of materials documenting United Jewish Appeal fundraising campaigns. Included are: a spiral-bound booklet for the 1998 UJA Women's Campaign Board of Directors, a "Lion of Judah" card that would have accompanied a pin of the same name, a document outlining canvassing procedures for Lion of Judah and Atarah canvassers, training materials taken from the American UJA National Training Centre Manual, documents from the 1994 UJA Campaign, a 1993 Jewish Agency for Israel budget, and a photocopy of a chart outlining UJA/Jewish Federation of Greater Toronto's local and national allocations.
Custodial History
Alison Himel, the daughter of Malka Green, a well-known philanthropist in the Jewish community, donated the records, which had belonged to her mother, to Ontario Jewish Archives two years following Mrs. Green's passing.
Administrative History
The Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Toronto was incorporated in Ontario in March 1917 to coordinate the fundraising activities of Jewish charitable, philanthropic, and social service agencies in Toronto. In 1918, ten separate agencies were funded by the FJPT. By 1937, fourteen agencies were funded. The Great Depression of the 1930s and the development of several newer Jewish aid, education and medical care organizations created both increased need for resources and growing competition for ever-more scarce dollars. Within a very few years this funding crisis forced a major review of the organization. During 1936 a series of special meetings of leading individuals were held to examine the income and expenditures of all Toronto Jewish agencies and also to speculate about the need for a new Toronto Jewish "Community Chest" as the sole fund-raising organization for a federation of all Jewish agencies including the FJPT. In 1938, the new United Jewish Welfare Fund was formally constituted. Added to the FJPT's previous list of Toronto client agencies in 1938 were: the Canadian Jewish Congress, the Hebrew National Association, the Jewish Immigrant Aid Association, the Mizrachi Society, the Toronto Free Loan Association, the Geverkshaften, and Old Folks Home, and the United Palestine Appeal, raising the total number of agencies to 22. When the State of Israel was established in 1948, the UJWF's annual fundraising campaign was combined with the CJC's United Palestine appeal to form a new, combined campaign named the United Jewish Appeal (UJA). In 1967, the UJA name was legally changed to the United Jewish Appeal of Metropolitan Toronto. In mid-1976, the organization's public name was changed to the Toronto Jewish Congress. Although initially thought of as a merger between the UJWF and the CJC, the actual result was the expansion of the UJWF responsibilities to include local education and welfare services previously shared with the Canadian Jewish Congress, Central Region. The UJWF, however, remained the legal senior entity. In 1991 the public name was again changed to the Jewish Federation of Greater Toronto and in 1999, to UJA Federation of Greater Toronto. By this date, over 30 beneficiary and affiliated agencies, 49 affiliated schools and five Federation departments were fully or partly funded by the UJA Federation. In June, 2010, the organization altered its legal structure, with the senior legal entity becoming the UJA Federation of Greater Toronto.
Subjects
Charities
Fund raising
Name Access
UJA Federation of Greater Toronto
Places
Toronto, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Part Of
Folks Farein fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 105
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Folks Farein fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
105
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
architectural drawing
Date
1914-1977
Physical Description
3.07 m of textual records
110 photographs : b&w and col. (hand-tinted) ; 51 x 41 cm or smaller
6 architectural drawings : 70 x 36 or smaller
Admin History/Bio
The Folks Farein, also known as the Hebrew National Association, was established in 1914 by a group of Toronto Jewish immigrants as a society dedicated to anti-missionary and educational outreach. They were first located at 23 Cecil St. and moved to 37 Cecil St. around 1940.
In the early years of the Folks Farein's existence, Christian missions and a number of Jewish converts to Christianity sought to exploit the situation of poor Jews in the community through the distribution of direct relief, services of doctors and midwives and by street-corner preaching and proselytization. To counteract the work of the Toronto missionaries the Folks Farein offered a number of services including welfare for working mothers, a reading room, English language clases and translation services for Yiddish immigrants.
When the threat from missionary activity was no longer an issue, the Folks Farein transformed itself into a philantrophic society. Under its revised mandate the society looked after the sick and needy in hospitals, sanitoriums, mental health institutions and in their homes, and arranged for free doctor services, translation services, medicine, dentures, eyeglasses, orthopedic shoes and medical applicances. The Folks Farein guaranteed the full or partial payment of medical bills by maintaining a fund in several hospitals for the benefit of Jewish patients in need of assistance. They provided assistance to seniors applying for old age pensions, to widows and mothers applying for benefits, assisted needy famililes and patients with kosher meals, provided cash relief during Passover, and fed and billeted the unemployed and homeless at their premises at 37 Cecil St.
In the course of their work, the Folks Farein collaborated with many Jewish organizations and societies such as the Jewish Immigrant Aid Society, Jewish Family Welfare Bureau, Relief Unemployment Fund, Jewish Joint Appliction Bureau, Jewish Children's Bureau, the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Toronto, Canadian Jewish Congress and the Toronto Hebrew Free Loan Association.
Its basis of revenue came from its large membership, house-to-house contributions from the public and from special events such as it annual ball, Moas Chittin campaign, Purim ball, and beauty contest.
In addition to its regular activities the Folks Farein assumed responsibility for providing aid to refugees of the Second World War: the first group arriving from Europe in 1945 and in 1948 to a group of Jewish tailors liberated from the DP camps of Germany. In 1947, the Folks Farein established Hachnoses Orchim, a temporary shelter to accomodate refugees and displaced persons. The shelter was located at 37 Cecil St.
The Folks Farein's first officers were Mr. J. Graner (president), Mr. J. Meisniker (vice-president), Mr. Meyer Littner (superintendent), Chuna Mosoff and Mr. W. Welman (trustees), Miss Weiner and Mr. Cohen (board of education), Mr. A. Kaminsky (recording secretary) and Mr. Cohen (treasurer). Mr. Epstein refered to as "Grandfather" was one of the founders of the Folks Farein.
Other pioneers included Moshe Olebaum, and M. Spiegel (1st vice-president), J. Hurwitz (1st vice-president and president), Abraham Sher, S.M. Shapiro Shlesinger, Joseph Grenner, Mrs. Minna Winter (president of the Women's Auxillary) and Kalman Wagner. In 1930, David Green assumed the position of president of the Folks Farein and served as its exclusive president from 1934 until his passing on 13 May 1977. Sam Cohen was then elected the new president of the Folks Farein.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records documenting the Folks Farein's philantrophic activities in the Toronto Jewish community from 1914 to 1977. Records include meeting minutes and agendas of the executive board and committees, resolutions of board of directors, newspaper clippings in both Yiddish and English, publicity material, photographs, general correspondence, architectural drawings, cemetery deeds, legal documents, records relating to David Green's personal interests, financial and fundraising records, wills and bequests, and client case files. The records have been arranged into nine series: Meeting minutes; Scrapbooks; Executive services; Celebrations and events; Building and operations; David Green; Finance and fundraising; and Case files.
Notes
Formerly cited as MG2 O1N.
Name Access
Folk Farein
Hebrew National Association (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Charities
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 3575
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
3575
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1980
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm
Scope and Content
Item is an interior photograph of the offices of Jewish Community Services buildings located at 150 Beverley Street, Toronto.
Notes
Graphic Artists.
Acquired 1983.
Subjects
Architecture
Charities
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 3576
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
3576
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1980
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm
Scope and Content
Item is an interior photograph of the offices of Jewish Community Services buildings located at 150 Beverley Street, Toronto.
Notes
Graphic Artists.
Acquired 1983.
Subjects
Architecture
Charities
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 3578
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
3578
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1980
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm
Scope and Content
Item is a photograph of the boardroom at 150 Beverley St.
Notes
Graphic Artists
Acquired 1983
Subjects
Architecture
Charities
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 946
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
946
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1927
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 13 x 18 cm
Scope and Content
Copy photograph of Borochov Young Poale Zion Executive Committee, taken in New York, 1927. Left front, Morris Lofsky, Toronto.
Name Access
Borochow Young Poale Zion Executive Committee
Lofsky, Morris
Subjects
Committees
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
New York (N.Y.).
Accession Number
1975-12-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 499
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
499
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1950-1999
Physical Description
1 photograph
Scope and Content
Item is a photograph of the CJC Committee for Jewish Music Month in Kitchener, Ontario
Name Access
Canadian Jewish Congress
Subjects
Committees
Jews--Music
Repro Restriction
Credit Kitchener-Waterloo Record
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Kitchener (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Toronto fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 66
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Toronto fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
66
Material Format
textual record
object
Date
1917-1939
Physical Description
49 cm of textual records
1 ruler : 6 in.
Admin History/Bio
For many years prior to 1917 Toronto Jewish community leaders had recognized the need to centralize fund-raising for all local Jewish charities. The 1912 creation of the Associated Hebrew Charities was a partial improvement, but it proved unable to cope with the pre-war rapid growth in immigration, the effects of the 1916 economic recession, and the funding requirements of many still-unaffiliated agencies.. The positive experiences of newly established Jewish community federations in several American cities did, however, offer a better example for Toronto, where prominent Jewish leaders Edmund Scheuer, Abraham Cohen and Ida Seigel provided the leadership that finally did result in the establishment of a Toronto federation.
The Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Toronto was chartered as a charitable organization under the laws of Ontario in September 1917. Its central goal was to end the frequent, uncontrolled, and competitive fund soliciting by a wide range of individual Toronto Jewish philanthropic and social service institutions and instead substitute a single coordinated city-wide community fundraising effort. This would ensure adequate and accountable funding for all its affiliated organizations and agencies in Toronto.
Original affiliated agencies of the FJPT were: the Ladies Co-operative Board, the Jewish Orphans' Home, the Jewish Girls Club, the Junior Council of Jewish Women, the Hebrew Ladies Maternity Aid and Sewing Circle, the Hebrew Young Ladies Boot and Shoe Society, the Jewish Branch of the Big Brotherhood Movement, the Hebrew Free Loan Society, the Jewish Dispensary, and the Hebrew Burial Society.
The original officers were: President Edmund Scheuer, 1st Vice-President Joseph Singer, 2nd Vice-President Jay J. Allen, 3rd Vice-President Moses Gelber, 4th Vice-President Charles Draimin, Treasurer Eli Pullan, and Honorary Secretary Abraham Cohen. A Board of Trustees consisting of 45 members was also constituted, one-third of whose members were to be replaced each year.
Final decision powers of the Federation were originally vested in the Board, which met monthly and was responsible for funds distribution and the nomination of Officers of the Federation. The Board also had the power to change, by a two-third vote, any Federation by-laws, rules, or regulations. The President chaired all Board meetings and had, along with the Treasurer, signing authority for orders and cheques. In his absence, the President's responsibilities were transferred to the 1st, or other Vice-Presidents, in order. The Treasurer was responsible for receiving all donations and depositing them in the bank. He also had signing authority for disbursals.
A system of committees was also established in order to deal with individual issues such as annual meetings, fund-raising, budgets, day-to-day administration, and policy, constitutional and regulation changes. Recommendations from these committees were sent to an Executive Committee. When vetted, they were then forwarded to the Board of Trustees for final approval. By 1924, a new position of Executive Director was added to the list of officers in order to provide better management of the FJPT administration and to head up the Executive Committee. Also, by this time, six further agencies had become affiliated. These were: Mount Sinai Hospital, the Jewish Boys' and Girls' Camps, Jewish Big Sisters, the Family Welfare Bureau, the Federation Health Clinic and the Federation Employment Bureau.
The first office of the FJPT was at 206 Beverly St., but by 1924 it was headquartered at 218 Simcoe St. and by 1928 it had moved to 179 Beverley St., which was renamed "Scheuer House" after the FJPT's first president.
The 1929 onset of the Great Depression created unprecedented and ever-growing service and monetary demands on the FJPT. Unable to cope, a major change was urgently required. In 1938 the FJPT was thus absorbed into a new and larger organization with an expanded mission and reorganized fund-raising operations, the United Jewish Welfare Fund.
Although the FJPT was absorbed into the UJWF in 1938, meetings of the FJPT Board of Management (responsible for funds redistribution to the FJPT's affiliated agencies) continued to January, 1939 when these responsibilities were finally transferred to the UJWF.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records documenting the incorporation, public reporting, planning, financial, administration and operational records of the FJPT. Included are: the incorporation certificate, committee meeting agendas and minutes, correspondence, budgets, annual reports and special reports. FJPT operational records document fund-raising, fund re-distribution and ongoing dialogues with member agencies. Records of specialized, short-lived committees document specific subjects such as salaries, a new community centre, funding of camps, and policies concerning the future of the organization are also included.
Series within this fonds are; 1. Incorporation, 2. Annual Meetings, 3. Annual Reports, 4. Board of Trustees, 5. Constitution Committee, 6. Executive Committee, 7. Budget Committee, 8. Sub-Committee Studying Salaries, 9. Policy Study Committee, 10. Fund-raising Campaign, 11. Federation and Camp Representative Group, 12. Committee on the Community Centre, and 13. Board of Management.
Name Access
Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Toronto
Subjects
Charities
Related Material
For records of the United Jewish Welfare Fund, successor to the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies, see Fonds 67.
Creator
Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Toronto (1917-1939)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 67
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
67
Material Format
multiple media
Date
1936-1991, predominant 1938-1976
Physical Description
10 m of textual records
5541 photographs, 25 x 20 cm and smaller, and other media
Admin History/Bio
The Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Toronto was incorporated in Ontario in March 1917 to coordinate the fundraising activities of Jewish charitable, philanthropic, and social service agencies in Toronto. In 1918, ten separate agencies were funded by the FJPT. By 1937, fourteen agencies were funded. The Great Depression of the 1930s and the development of several newer Jewish aid, education and medical care organizations created both increased need for resources and growing competition for ever-more scarce dollars. Within a very few years this funding crisis forced a major review of the organization.
During 1936 a series of special meetings of leading individuals were held to examine the income and expenditures of all Toronto Jewish agencies and also to speculate about the need for a new Toronto Jewish "Community Chest" as the sole fund-raising organization for a federation of all Jewish agencies including the FJPT. In 1938, the new United Jewish Welfare Fund was formally constituted. Added to the FJPT's previous list of Toronto client agencies in 1938 were: the Canadian Jewish Congress, the Hebrew National Association, the Jewish Immigrant Aid Association, the Mizrachi Society, the Toronto Free Loan Association, the Geverkshaften, and Old Folks Home, and the United Palestine Appeal, raising the total number of agencies to 22.
When the State of Israel was established in 1948, the UJWF's annual fundraising campaign was combined with the CJC's United Palestine appeal to form a new, combined campaign named the United Jewish Appeal (UJA). In 1967, the UJA name was legally changed to the United Jewish Appeal of Metropolitan Toronto.
In mid-1976, the organization's public name was changed to the Toronto Jewish Congress. Although initially thought of as a merger between the UJWF and the CJC, the actual result was the expansion of the UJWF responsibilities to include local education and welfare services previously shared with the Canadian Jewish Congress, Central Region. The UJWF, however, remained the legal senior entity.
In 1991 the public name was again changed to the Jewish Federation of Greater Toronto and in 1999, to UJA Federation of Greater Toronto. By this date, over 30 beneficiary and affiliated agencies, 49 affiliated schools and five Federation departments were fully or partly funded by the UJA Federation.
In June, 2010, the organization altered its legal structure, with the senior legal entity becoming the UJA Federation of Greater Toronto.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of 25 series: Annual Meetings, Annual Reports, Board of Directors, Constitution Committee, Executive Committee, Officers Committee, Budget and Finance Committee, Administration Committee, Social Planning Committee, Committee on Capital Needs and Planning, Central Committee on Scholarships in Aid, Joint Committee of the BJE and UJWF Study on Jewish Education, Nominations Committee, Pension Fund Committee, Coordinating Committee, Special Ad Hoc and Temporary Committees, Annual Campaign, Client Agencies, Joint Committee of the CJC and the UJWF, Committee on Community Organization, Sub-Committee on Construction and Administration of Community Schools, Joint Committee on Fundraising, Personnel Committee, Community Leadership Development Council, and Israel at Fifty Community Celebration.
Over 4500 photographs and a variety of other media are managed within Series 17, Campaign records.
Notes
For exact details about the contents of individual series and sub-series, please review their scope and contents notes.
Name Access
United Jewish Welfare Fund
Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Toronto
United Jewish Appeal
Toronto Jewish Congress
Jewish Federation of Greater Toronto
UJA Federation of Greater Toronto
Subjects
Charities
Fund raising
Access Restriction
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Related Material
For records of the predecessor of the UJWF, see Fonds 66, the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Toronto fonds.
Further detailed documentation of the proposed merger between the UJWF and the CJC (creation of the TJC) may be found in Fonds 67, Sub-sub-series 5-5-1, Files 171 and 221.
Further documentation on the United Jewish Welfare Fund may be found within Fonds 9, Series 7, records of the Jewish Immigrant Aid Society.
For further detailed records of a key community leader's involvement with the UJWF see Accession 1982-8-8, the records of Samuel Godfrey, 1943-1972.
Creator
United Jewish Welfare Fund (1938-)
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 3694
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
3694
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1936
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 20 x 25 cm on matte 30 x 36 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a photograph of members of the Labour League's Camp Naivelt Committee. Pictured are:
Back row, left to right: Harry Levin, Mr. Boxenbaum, Sam Lipshitz, [unidentified], Fishel Rose.
Middle row, left to right: P. Hoffman, Harry Goldstein, Rose Freedman, Morris Starkman, Mrs. Nobleman, Mr. Sniderman, Philip Larger.
Front row, left to right: I. Milton, Harry Holtzman, I. Strasuner, Becky Lapides, Jack Cowan, Sam Speisman.
Name Access
Labor League (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Committees
Camps
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1983-6-3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
Committee for Soviet Jewry series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 17; Series 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
Committee for Soviet Jewry series
Level
Series
Fonds
17
Series
3
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Date
1967-1992
Physical Description
4.5 m of textual records
1822 photographs : b&w ; 20 x 25 cm or smaller
Admin History/Bio
The earliest impetus for the creation of a Canadian Jewish Congress (CJC) committee to focus on the issue of Soviet Jews was in response to the infamous “Leningrad trials” of 31 dissident Soviet Jews in the winter of 1970. Concurrently, the Soviet government began to systematically persecute almost all Jews who applied for permission to emigrate. The issuing of exit visas was refused (the genesis of the term “Refusnik”), usually on exaggerated claims of national security, after which the applicants were often dismissed from their jobs, recalled to military service, or similarly persecuted by state authorities. Those who publicly protested such treatment were subsequently arrested, detained for long periods, or tried as examples to others and sent to Siberian labour camps.
When information about the plight of Soviet Jews reached Canada, Toronto’s Jews responded immediately and decisively. Synagogue congregations, student groups, women’s organizations, professional organizations and community groups all established independent committees to aid Soviet Jews directly and to pressure local, national and international governments to address Soviet antisemitism. Very quickly these committees began organizing mass rallies, letter writing campaigns, petitions, targeted protests and direct aid involving large numbers of people and considerable fundraising efforts. From 1971 to the late 1980s the cause of Soviet Jewry remained, along with support for The State of Israel, the most significant issue to the Jewish community.
The Action Committee for Soviet Jewry (ACSJ) was formed by the (then) Central Region of the CJC in early 1971 in order to coordinate the activities of, and provide stable funding and administrative support for, the various ad hoc committees and action groups that had sprung up across Toronto and the rest of Ontario. Organizations coordinated by the Action Committee included university student groups, the Group of 35, Women for Soviet Jewry (WSJ), B’nai B’rith, and the Canadian Zionist Federation (CZF). The ACSJ originally reported to the CJC’s Steering Committee for Soviet Jewry (SCSJ), but by the mid-1970s the reporting of the two committees was reversed, with the Steering Committee reporting to the Action Committee. By 1977, the Action Committee and the Steering Committee were merged into the newly-renamed CJC Ontario Region’s Committee for Soviet Jewry (occasionally referred to as the Toronto Committee).
The first Chairman of the SCSJ was the prominent Toronto politician and activist Joseph B. Salsberg. Later chairs, including Sam Filer, Phyllis Sugar, Reg Adelman, author Jeanette Goldman, Joyce Eklove, and Judge Ted Matlow were also involved with affiliated local groups whose activities were coordinated by the SCSJ. Sam Filer, its first permanent Secretary, became in 1976 its second Chairman. He also served as Chairman of the Toronto Action Committee for Soviet Jewry and was an original co-founder of Lawyers and Jurists for Soviet Jewry. Similarly, Phyllis Sugar was a Co-chair of the ACSJ with Reg Adelman in the early to mid-1970s, while simultaneously serving as the Chair of WSJ. Genya Intrator, the first Chair of WSJ in the early 1970s, later served as first Chair of the Canadian Committee for Soviet Jewry. Despite having its first meeting in Winnipeg, the Canadian Committee had most of its leadership and activities in Toronto. Toronto residents Sydney Harris (later Judge Harris), David Satok, Genya Intrator and David Sadowski all chaired this committee as it developed a national agenda through contacts with affiliated organizations across the country, while coordinating internationally with groups such as the Union of Councils for Soviet Jews based in New York.
Towards the end of the 1980s, many of the restrictions regarding exit visas for refusniks were removed and increasingly Russian Jews began to immigrate to Israel, the United States and Canada. A large percentage of the latter settled in Toronto. By 1991, in response to the changes in Russia and the former Soviet republics, the CJC’s local and national Soviet Jewry Committees were wound up and their leadership began to focus on new issues, such as the integration of Soviet Jewish immigrants into Canada and the continuing struggle to fight antisemitism in the successor states of the former Soviet Union. To this end, the CJC formed a Political Liaison Committee in the early 1990s. Internationally, however, many Russian Jewish advocacy groups continued to operate on the foundation of activism and community organization established during the decades of solidarity built around the Soviet Jewry cause.
Custodial History
The records in this series were accumulated and maintained in the offices of the CJC under the jurisdiction of Samuel Resnick, in his role as the Director of the Community Action for Israel Committee, and as the main CJC staff employee for overseeing the Action Committee for Soviet Jewry and Steering Committee for Soviet Jewry, which eventually coalesced as simply the Committee for Soviet Jewry circa 1977. By 1980, Resnick’s title was Director of the Committee for Soviet Jewry, Central Region, making him the primary full-time staffer of the CJC involved in the Soviet Jewry cause.
Scope and Content
Series consists of extensive planning, administrative and operational records including meeting minutes, correspondence, budgets and membership lists. Records pertaining to activities include numerous event and protest photographs, articles, petitions, posters and other press materials. Records related to the gathering of information regarding Soviet Jewry include transcripts of telegrams and telephone conversations, background fact sheets and many individual case files.
This series has been arranged into six sub-series. Sub-series 1 consists of Ontario Region committee meeting agendas and minutes. Sub-series 2 consists of the correspondence files documenting various activities of that committee. Sub-series 3 consists of the agendas, minutes and general correspondence of the National Committee for Soviet Jewry. Sub-series 4 consists of records documenting affiliated Jewish organizations that collaborated with the CJC in protesting the persecution of Soviet Jews. Sub-series 5 consists of records documenting the various protest activities such as lobbying, letter writing, public rallies, marches and demonstrations. Sub-series 6 , Rufusnik Cases, consists of 3 sub-sub-series, containing individual case files, large published lists, and reference publications about Soviet Jews who were refused permission to emigrate (refusniks).
Notes
Physical extent note: although over 28 m of Soviet Jewry records were originally transferred to the OJA, more than 23 m of those records have been culled due to their origin (non-Canadian sources), format (outside periodicals and publications), because they were merely externally-created reference materials, or because they were part of the very large volumes of duplicates that made up the majority of the box contents. Records documenting the activities of other CJC Committees have also been removed for future processing within more appropriately-titled series within Fonds 17.
Subjects
Committees
Jews--Soviet Union
Arrangement
Because the Soviet Jewry records donated by the Canadian Jewish Congress had not been maintained in a discernable original order, they had to be reorganized into their current arrangement by the processing archivist.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 625
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
625
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1975
Physical Description
2 photographs : (1 negative)
Name Access
Herlick, Lilly
Subjects
Anniversaries
Charities
Speeches, addresses, etc
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 626
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
626
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1975
Physical Description
2 photographs : (1 negative)
Name Access
Lieff, Abraham
Subjects
Anniversaries
Charities
Speeches, addresses, etc
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 681
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
681
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[193-]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Scope and Content
Item is a photograph of Mrs. Sadie Feinberg and Red Cross Workers.
Name Access
Feinberg, Sadie
Red Cross
Subjects
Charities
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 1735
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
1735
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[193-]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Name Access
Folks Farein
Subjects
Architecture
Charities
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Cecil Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 2476
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
2476
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1916
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Notes
From the Seymour and Abi Shatz Collection.
Name Access
Peretz, I. L.
Subjects
Charities
Orphans
War victims
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Accession Number
1980-12-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 3577
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
3577
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1980
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm
Scope and Content
Item is an interior photograph of the boardroom at 150 Beverley St.
Notes
Graphic Artists
Acquired 1983
Subjects
Architecture
Charities
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 3574
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
3574
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1980
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm
Scope and Content
Item is an interior photograph of the offices of Jewish Community Services buildings located at 150 Beverley Street, Toronto.
Notes
Graphic Artists.
Acquired 1983.
Subjects
Architecture
Charities
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 6032
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
6032
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[193-]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Scope and Content
For identification, see accession record.
Perhaps Geverkshaften.
Includes: Abe Freeman, Max Manson, Nachman Lovinsky, A. Rhinewine; H.M.Kirshenbaum; Dr. Sam Hurwich; Israel Freeman; I.J. Weinrob; Louis Coldoff; Yisroel Meriminski of Israel; Sonya and Joseph Marin.
Notes
Photo by M. Schlachter, Modern Studio, Toronto.
Name Access
Coldoff, Louis
Freeman, Israel
Kirshenbaum, H.M.
Rhinewine, A.
Weinrob, I.J.
Subjects
Committees
Labor Zionism
Portraits, Group
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Accession Number
1992-2-8
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 1913
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
1913
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1920]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Notes
Photograph by R. H. Peter.
Name Access
Hadassah-Wizo
King Edward Hotel
Subjects
Charities
Luncheons
Meetings
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Accession Number
1980-2-10
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 1617
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
1617
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[1939 or 1940]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Notes
Photo by Modern Studio
Name Access
Farband
Independent Workers' Circle Joint Committee
Leivick, H.
Jewish Organizations
Subjects
Committees
Lectures and lecturing
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Toronto Islands (Ont.)
Accession Number
1978-11-5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4438
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4438
Material Format
graphic material
Date
June 1916
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Admin History/Bio
Toronto volunteer group to aid the Jewish victims of World War I.
Scope and Content
For identification see accession record.
The lady in the checkered coat in the front row is Millie "Mimi" Lazarus at age 16.
Notes
Photo by M. Shlochter, Toronto.
Subjects
Charities
Congresses and conventions
Fund raisers (Persons)
War victims
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1988-11-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Joseph Baruch Salsberg fonds
Jewish community involvement series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 92; Series 4; File 6
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Joseph Baruch Salsberg fonds
Jewish community involvement series
Level
File
Fonds
92
Series
4
File
6
Material Format
textual record
Date
1967-1973
Physical Description
3 cm of textual records
Admin History/Bio
In 1970 many Jewish groups in Ontario organized to help refusniks who were being persecuted in the Soviet Union and to pressure local, national and international governments to address Soviet antisemitism. In early 1971, the Action Committee for Soviet Jewry (ACSJ) was formed by the (then) Central Region of the CJC to coordinate the activities of, and provide stable funding and administrative support for, these various ad hoc committees and action groups that had sprung up across Ontario.
The ACSJ originally reported to the CJC’s Steering Committee for Soviet Jewry (SCSJ), but by the mid-1970s the reporting of the two committees was reversed, with the steering committee reporting to the action committee. By 1977, the action committee and the steering committee were merged into the newly-renamed CJC Ontario Region’s Committee for Soviet Jewry (occasionally referred to as the Toronto Committee). J. B. Salsberg was the first SCSJ Chairman, serving in this capacity until 1976.
Scope and Content
File consists of records documenting J. B. Salsberg's involvement in the CJC's Committee for Soviet Jewry. Included are booklets, handwritten notes, newspaper clippings, articles, correspondence, meeting minutes of the National Committee on Soviet Jewry and the Steering Committee for Soviet Jewry, reports, newsletters, conference booklets, and a brochure.
Subjects
Committees
Jews--Soviet Union
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Joseph Baruch Salsberg fonds
Jewish community involvement series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 92; Series 4; File 7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Joseph Baruch Salsberg fonds
Jewish community involvement series
Level
File
Fonds
92
Series
4
File
7
Material Format
textual record
Date
1975
Physical Description
3 cm of textual records
Admin History/Bio
In 1970 many Jewish groups in Ontario organized to help refusniks who were being persecuted in the Soviet Union and to pressure local, national and international governments to address Soviet antisemitism. In early 1971, the Action Committee for Soviet Jewry (ACSJ) was formed by the (then) Central Region of the CJC to coordinate the activities of, and provide stable funding and administrative support for, these various ad hoc committees and action groups that had sprung up across Ontario.
The ACSJ originally reported to the CJC’s Steering Committee for Soviet Jewry (SCSJ), but by the mid-1970s the reporting of the two committees was reversed, with the steering committee reporting to the action committee. By 1977, the action committee and the steering committee were merged into the newly-renamed CJC Ontario Region’s Committee for Soviet Jewry (occasionally referred to as the Toronto Committee). J. B. Salsberg was the first SCSJ Chairman, serving in this capacity until 1976.
Scope and Content
File consists of records documenting J. B. Salsberg's involvement in the CJC's Committee for Soviet Jewry. Included are newspaper clippings, bulletins, executive committee meeting minutes of the Committee for Soviet Jewry, a booklet, and a programme for the 23rd anniversary of the execution of Soviet Jewish poets, novelists and artists at the Beth Tzedec Synagogue.
Subjects
Committees
Jews--Soviet Union
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Joseph Baruch Salsberg fonds
Jewish community involvement series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 92; Series 4; File 8
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Joseph Baruch Salsberg fonds
Jewish community involvement series
Level
File
Fonds
92
Series
4
File
8
Material Format
textual record
Date
1986-1991
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Admin History/Bio
In 1970 many Jewish groups in Ontario organized to help Refusniks who were being persecuted in the Soviet Union and to pressure local, national and international governments to address Soviet antisemitism. In early 1971, the Action Committee for Soviet Jewry (ACSJ) was formed by the (then) Central Region of the CJC to coordinate the activities of, and provide stable funding and administrative support for, these various ad hoc committees and action groups that had sprung up across Ontario.
The ACSJ originally reported to the CJC’s Steering Committee for Soviet Jewry (SCSJ), but by the mid-1970s the reporting of the two committees was reversed, with the steering committee reporting to the action committee. By 1977, the action committee and the steering committee were merged into the newly-renamed CJC Ontario Region’s Committee for Soviet Jewry (occasionally referred to as the Toronto Committee). J. B. Salsberg was the first SCSJ Chairman, serving in this capacity until 1976.
Scope and Content
File consists of records documenting J.B. Salsberg's involvement in the CJC's Committee for Soviet Jewry. Included are booklets, reports, agendas, correspondence, meeting minutes, conference material for the Regional Conference on Israel and Soviet Jewry, and newspaper clippings.
Subjects
Committees
Jews--Soviet Union
Source
Archival Descriptions
Accession Number
2004-5-47
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-5-47
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
Physical Description
ca. 10 photographs : b&w
1 folder of textual records
Date
1983
Scope and Content
Accession consists of photographs of the UJA Federation on moving day from the J. Irving Oelbaum Centre, 150 Beverley St., to the Lipa Green Building at 4600 Bathurst St. Also included is a program for the dedication ceremonies of the Lipa Green building.
Use Conditions
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Subjects
Charities
Name Access
UJA Federation of Greater Toronto
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2005-11-5
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2005-11-5
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 15 x 10 cm
Date
[ca. 1930]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one photograph of Sadie and Nathan Friedman standing in a field at Crystal's Resort in Pontypool around the summer of 1930.
Administrative History
Nathan Friedman (b. 1906-d. 1954) was born in Poland and Sadie (Book) Friedman (b. 1911- d. 1991) was born in Hamilton, ON. They were married in Toronto in June 1929. Nathan worked as a furrier in Toronto. They began vacationing in Pontypool during the early 1930s and originally rented a loft in the Crystal's barn. Later they rented a cabin at Crystal's Resort. The donor, Jerry Friedman, is the son of Nathan and Sadie.
Pontypool was a popular summer resort spot for vacationing Jews from the 1940s to the 1960s. The area was relatively cheap and had a pond as its swimming spot. Kosher meals would often be brought in for the vacationers who arrived on two trains daily from Union station. Charlie and Surah Crystal were the owners of several resort cabins resort that was popular amongst the Jewish vacationers.
Subjects
Charities
Outdoor recreation
Vacations
Name Access
Friedman, Nathan
Friedman, Sadie
Places
Pontypool, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2009-12-15
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2009-12-15
Material Format
textual record
moving images
graphic material (electronic)
sound recording
Physical Description
4 cm of textual records
3 videocassettes
10 optical discs (196 mins., 38 secs.)
1278 photographs (jpg)
Date
2000-2009
Scope and Content
Accession consists of programmes and invitations for Campaign events including Major Gifts, telethons, missions, the Ben Gurion Society, Women's Philanthropy and other divisions' events. There are also three videocassettes with videos for Campaign 2002 ("Israel is Calling"), Campaign 2000 ("The Campaign For Our Children"), and the Campaign 2000 Launch ("Wings of a Butterfly"). Also included in the accession are 10 DVDs, containing: campaign videos for the years 2003 to 2009; a video conference on Jewish morality held for lay leaders in 2003; an audio-only recording of remarks by Professor Alan Dershowitz in 2002; and a canvasser motivation video produced by Federation. There are additional CDs with photographs relating to Hineni, Vision, L.O.J.E., H.O.T. Toronto (Young Leadership Division), Ben Gurion Society, missions and United Israel Appeal Canada; finally, there are audio recordings of speakers from the 2008 2nd Annual UJA Federation Big Ideas Forum. For a detailed list, click here: file://s-oja01\data\Description\Campaign\Creative%20CDs.doc
Use Conditions
Copyright of campaign videos is owned by the production company and NOT by UJA Federation. Researchers must contact Len Pearl to obtain copyright clearance to reproduce these videos. Researchers must be able to specify the exact video and clip when requesting copyright permission.
Subjects
Charities
Fund raising
Source
Archival Accessions
Part Of
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care fonds
Committees and meetings series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 14; Series 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care fonds
Committees and meetings series
Level
Series
Fonds
14
Series
3
Material Format
textual record
Date
1953-1985
Physical Description
3 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
Series consists of records documenting the various committees and ad hoc meetings of Baycrest Centre as well as its participation on joint committees with other agencies. Included are meeting notices, agendas and minutes, reports, correspondence and lists.
Subjects
Committees
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Harry Simon fonds
Level
File
ID
Fonds 23; File 5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Harry Simon fonds
Level
File
Fonds
23
File
5
Material Format
textual record
Date
1973-1975
Physical Description
3 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
This file consists of textual records relating to Harry Simon's work as Chairman of the Jewish Labour Committee. The records include correspondence, event invitations and flyers, press releases and meeting minutes.
Subjects
Committees
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Harry Simon fonds
Level
File
ID
Fonds 23; File 6
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Harry Simon fonds
Level
File
Fonds
23
File
6
Material Format
textual record
Date
1976-1984
Physical Description
3 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
This file consists of textual records relating to Harry Simon's work as Chairman of the Jewish Labour Committee. The records include correspondence, event invitations and flyers, and press releases.
Subjects
Committees
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Harry Simon fonds
Level
File
ID
Fonds 23; File 8
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Harry Simon fonds
Level
File
Fonds
23
File
8
Material Format
textual record
Date
1978
Physical Description
3 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
This file consists of textual records relating to Harry Simon's work as Chairman of the Anti-Nazi Committee of the Canadian Jewish Congress/B'nai Brith Joint Community Relations Committee. The records include correspondence, newsclippings, meeting notices and minutes, bulletins and flyers.
Subjects
Anti-Nazi movement
Committees
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Harry Simon fonds
Level
File
ID
Fonds 23; File 9
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Harry Simon fonds
Level
File
Fonds
23
File
9
Material Format
textual record
Date
1979-1982
Physical Description
3 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
This file consists of textual records relating to Harry Simon's work as Chairman of the Anti-Nazi Committee of the Canadian Jewish Congress/B'nai Brith Joint Community Relations Committee. The records include correspondence, newsclippings, and meeting notices and minutes.
Subjects
Anti-Nazi movement
Committees
Source
Archival Descriptions
Name
Isaac (Ike) Segal with Mrs. Esther S. Segal and Lillian Beube
Material Format
sound recording
Interview Date
1972
Source
Oral Histories
Name
Isaac (Ike) Segal with Mrs. Esther S. Segal and Lillian Beube
Number
AC 025
Subject
Charities
Antisemitism
Communities
Interview Date
1972
Quantity
1
Interviewer
Morris Silbert
AccessionNumber
1978-2-2
Total Running Time
Side 1: 46 minutes 15 seconds
Side 2: 45 minutes 50 seconds
Conservation
Copied August 2003
Use Restrictions
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Biography
Isaac Segel, the son of Russian immigrants was born and lived in Toronto’s Ward district until 1900 when the family moved to Orillia, Ontario. Isaac recalls his experiences as one of 3 Jewish boys attending the local Orillia high school and working in his father’s general store. In order to provide a proper Jewish life for Isaac, the family returned to Toronto. In 1917 Isaac enlisted in the army and after his father’s death in 1918, Isaac made his home in Hamilton, Ontario. He was a business executive, active on several executive committees of Jewish and Zionist organizations in Hamilton.
Issac maried Esther (Kenen) Segal who was influential in the National Council of Jewish Women, Hamilton Branch, and their successful attempt to repeal the law that refused the right of women to serve on jury duty.
Material Format
sound recording
Name Access
Segal, Isaac
Segal, Esther
Beube, Lillian
Silbert, Morris
Geographic Access
Hamilton, Ont.
Toronto, Ont.
Orillia, Ont.
Original Format
Audio cassette
Copy Format
Audio cassette
Digital file
Transcript
AC 025: Side 1
0.0-16.14: Isaac Segel, the son of Russian immigrants was born and lived Toronto’s Ward district until 1900 when the family moved to Orillia Ontario. Isaac recalls his experiences as one of 3 Jewish boys attending the local Orillia high school and working in his father’s general store. In order to provide a proper Jewish lifestyle for Isaac, the family returned to Toronto. In 1917, Isaac enlisted in the army and after his father’s death in 1918, Isaac made his home in Hamilton Ontario.
16.15-31.04: Isaac recalls Hamilton’s Jewish community of 800 people, its Orthodox synagogues, and the Jewish immigrants who arrived in Hamilton after the First World War.
31.05-33.24: Division within Hamilton’s Jewish Community. Discussed are the reasons for the division between the Anshe Shalom Reform Congregation and Hamilton’s Orthodox Synagogues. Also discussed is the United Hebrew Association and its control over all philanthropic work within Hamilton’s Jewish Community.
34.05-45.19: Establishment of Hamilton Jewish Social Services 1931. Lillian Beube discusses the United Hebrew Association and its misappropriation of community funds, the formation of Hamilton’s Jewish Social Services and the conflicting ideologies of JSS and UHA.
45.20-46.15: Discussed is Marietta Levy and how she brought together various factions of Hamilton’s Jewish community.
AC 025: Side 2
1.00-13.20: Establishment of Jewish Social Services continued. There is further discussion of UHA’s misappropriation of community funds, its continued refusal to relinquish its prerogative of handling community monies and the events that led to its disintegration of the UHA. Beube discusses Jewish Social Services and its mission to establish itself as a service organization within the Jewish community.
13.20-18.00: Yiddish within the Hamilton Jewish Community. Beube discusses the reasons for the disappearance of the Yiddish language within Hamilton’s Jewish community.
18.01-20.34: Activities of the Council of Jewish Women are discussed.
20.35-22.39: Hamilton’s Orthodox and Conservative communities. Discussion revolves around the Anshe Shalom Temple, its reform practices and the more traditional Orthodox and Conservative movements within the community.
22.40-30.55: Antisemitism in Hamilton. Discussion revolves around antisemitism and assimilation of the Jewish population.
31.00-45.50: Personal opinions are discussed regarding, inter-marriage, the future of Hamilton’s Jewish community, and Zionism.
End
Source
Oral Histories
Name
Fanny (Goldhar) Gertzbein
Material Format
sound recording
Interview Date
2 October 1984
Source
Oral Histories
Name
Fanny (Goldhar) Gertzbein
Number
AC 033
Subject
Charities
Immigrants--Canada
Interview Date
2 October 1984
Quantity
1
Interviewer
Morris Silbert
Total Running Time
AC 033: 27:34 minutes
Conservation
Copied August 2003
Notes
Fanny often speaks Yiddish with Morris Silbert providing a translation.
Use Restrictions
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Conditional access. Researchers must receive permission from the interviewee or his/her heir prior to accessing the interview. Please contact the OJA for more information.
Biography
Fanny (Goldhar) Gurtzbein immigrated from Poland to Toronto in 1903. Fanny lived with her parents and siblings in Toronto's "Ward" district. Although raised in poverty Barney, Fanny's brother went on to become a successful furrier and her mother Tzyerl Goldhar became the organizer of the Mothers and Babes Summer Rest Home.
Material Format
sound recording
Language
Yiddish
English
Name Access
Goldhar, Myer
Goldhar, Tzeryl
Goldhar, Barney
Gurtzbein, Fanny
Geographic Access
St. John's Ward
Original Format
Audio cassette
Copy Format
Audio cassette
Digital file
Transcript
G:\Description\Oral Histories\AC 033, Fanny (Goldhar) Gurtzbein\AC 033 transcript.pdf
Source
Oral Histories
Name
Ida Siegel
Material Format
sound recording
Interview Date
July 22, 1971
Source
Oral Histories
Name
Ida Siegel
Number
AC 166
AC 167
Subject
Charities
Women
Interview Date
July 22, 1971
Quantity
2
Interviewer
Eva Kayfetz
Total Running Time
AC166A: 47.minutes AC166B: 5. minutes AC167A: 29. minutes
Conservation
Copied August 2003
Use Restrictions
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Biography
Ida Siegel (nee Lewis) (1885-1982) was born 14 February 1885 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. In 1894, Ida and her family moved to Toronto. On 14 February 1905, Ida married Isidore Hirsch Siegel. They had six children. An extremely active communal leader, Ida helped found Daughters of Zion in 1899, the Herzl Girls Club in 1904 and Hadassah in 1916. In the mid-1920s, Ida established The Mothers' and Babes' Rest Home,a camp for poor women with young children. She helped organize the first free Jewish dispensary in Toronto which eventually developed into Mount Sinai Hospital. Ida was also very active in womens peace movements, the Toronto Board of Education and the Toronto Bureau (elected to Board, 1930-36) of Jewish Education. In 1917, Ida helped to organize Federation of Jewish Philanthropies which later became the UJA Federation of Greater Toronto.
Material Format
sound recording
Name Access
Hadassah-WIZO of Toronto
Original Format
Audio cassette
Copy Format
Audio cassette
Digital file
Source
Oral Histories

In this clip, Ida Siegel discusses the formation of Hadassah in Canada and how it evolved into Hadassah-WIZO. She describes the creation of separate Hadassah branches.

In this clip, Ida Siegel explains the events that led up to the formation of a committee that she headed to write a Constitution for Hadassah. She describes some of the struggles she encountered in the process.

69 records – page 1 of 2.

Narrow By

Collection Name

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Place

Language

Restrictions

Available Digital Content