Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
116 records – page 1 of 3.
Accession Number
1988-4-8
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1988-4-8
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 scrapbook
Date
1930-1955
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a scrapbook created by Morris Lofsky. The scrapbook contains newspaper clippings of Zionist and labour materials. Of particular note is a stop-work broadside featuring information about the march and demonstration at Queen's Park from 1933 in protest of the pogroms of German Jews leading up to the Second World War. There are also several strike notices from the furrier, dressmakers, and other unions.
Administrative History
Morris Lofsky lived with his family in the downtown Kengsington market area of Toronto. He worked as a fur worker and was an active member of the Jewish community.
Use Conditions
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Subjects
Demonstrations
Labor
Zionism
Places
Queen's Park (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1975-4-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1975-4-1
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w
Date
1926
Scope and Content
Accession consists of two photographs of the Chestnut Street Synagogue. One photograph is of the exterior of the synagogue with Yankel Jessel and Shlomo Dov Jessel standing in front. The other photograph is of the interior and shows the front arch.
Administrative History
The Shomrai Shabbos Synagogue, also known as the Chestnut Street Synagogue, was located at 109 Chestnut Street in Toronto.
Use Conditions
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Subjects
Architecture
Synagogues
Name Access
Shomrai Shaboth-Chevra Mishnayoth Congregation (Toronto, Ont.)
Places
Chestnut Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1977-5-8
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1977-5-8
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
36 photographs (1 vol., 10 negatives) : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm or smaller
Date
[192-?]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one photo album that belonged to Yankel Jessel. This album was presented to him in 1927 by his friends as a going away gift before he left for Palestine. The album consists of 16 photographs depicting synagogues from Toronto including: Shomrei Shabbos, Goel Tzedec, the Shaw Street Synagogue, Holy Blossom, the McCaul Street Synagogue, Beth Jacob, the Ostrovtzer Synagogue, the Russian Synagogue on Centre Avenue, and the Hebrew Men of England Congregation. Also included in the album are photographs of the auditorium of the Hebrew Free School Temple Emanuel and Shearith Israel Synagogues in New York City, a synagogue in Brooklyn, NY, and the Englewood Synagogue in New Jersey. There are copy prints and negatives of the photos depicting Toronto institutions as well as an additional print and copy negative of staff standing in front of United Bakers on Spadina Avenue.
Use Conditions
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Subjects
Synagogues
Places
New Jersey
New York (N.Y.).
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1987-6-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1987-6-3
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
ca. 7 cm of textual records
Date
1948–1966
Scope and Content
Accession consists of synagogue material, attendance records, and other information relating to the Jewish community of Sudbury, Ontario.
Use Conditions
Copyright may not be held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Subjects
Communities
Rabbis
Synagogues
Name Access
Rosenthal, William, 1911-2008
Places
Sudbury (Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1977-8-7
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1977-8-7
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
60 cm textual records
1 photograph
Date
[194-]-[196-]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of materials documenting the National Council of Jewish Women of Welland and the Welland Hebrew Congregation. Materials include certificates, posters, financial documents, blueprints, correspondence, program newsletters, educational docuements, scrapbooks, photographs and executive notebooks
Administrative History
The Welland Jewish Congregation, also referred to as the Welland Hebrew Congregation, originally served the Jewish community of Welland from a synagogue located at Burger and Grove Streets in the mid-1940s. By the mid-1950s, a new shul was under construction on Summit Street which would serve the community from that point onward.
The Congregation participated in many fundraising drives and social events and worked closely with other faiths in their community
Subjects
Synagogues
Places
Welland (Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1983-7-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1983-7-1
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Physical Description
30 cm of textual records and other material
Date
1948-1977
Scope and Content
Accession consists of material documenting Beth Israel Synagogue in Toronto. Included are a Hebrew prayer book, a plan showing the Beth Israel Synagogue cemetery, correspondence, an inventory, a general by-law (constitution) of the Shaarei Shomayim Congregation, a journal listing members and disbursements, a folder of indentures, minutes, and other materials.
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Beth Israel Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Shaarei Shomayim (Toronto, Ont.)
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1976-10-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1976-10-1
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
ca. 13 cm of textual records
Date
1937–1968
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records belonging to two manuscript groups.
The first manuscript group (MG2 B5) consists of material documenting B'nai Brith Lodge 1234 of Timmins, Ontario. Included are a minute book for the years 1962–1968, an attendance register for the years 1947–1951, a fifteenth anniversary souveneer program from September 1950, two copies of a program for an event featuring guest speaker Senator J. Bradette that was held on 10 January 1954, correspondence for the years 1956–1968, minutes from 1950–1968, and a constitution from 18 June 1936.
The second manuscript group (MG3 B22) consists of material documenting Congregation B'nai Israel of Timmins. Included are six membership cards for the years 1939–1940 and 1940–1941, three seat number cards (no date), a membership account ledger for the years 1942–1948 and 1948–1950, a general financial ledger for the years 1941–1949, membership assessment lists for the yeras 1942–1943 and 1946–1947, and financial statements for the years 1937–1954.
MG_RG
MG 2 B5
MG 3 B22
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
B'nai Israel Congregation (Timmins, Ont.)
Places
Timmins (Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1986-9-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1986-9-2
Material Format
object
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
30 cm of textual records
7 photographs
artifacts
Date
1908-1970
Scope and Content
Accession consists of textual records, graphic materials, and artifacts documenting the Shaarey Shomayim Synagogue in Fort William (Thunder Bay) and the Jewish community of Thunder Bay. The records include a brass menorah and shivisi from the Synagogue, along with a wooden tablet of the ten commandments (1920s); a marriage register (1908-1951); a minute book of the chevra kadisha (1913-1986); B'nai Brith Lodge membership registration books, minute books, a dues book, and a framed citation (1911-1970); and several photographs including the Jewish community's float for the coronation of King George VI, the turning of the sod for the new synagogue, the B'nai Brith Lodge annual picnic in Port Arthur and a meeting honouring Jewish servicemen of the Second World War, and three portraits of the Synagogue's honourary presidents.
MG_RG
MG 2 B 1ii
MG 3 B 23
Subjects
Communities
Synagogues
Name Access
Shaarey Shomayim Congregation (Thunder Bay, Ont.)
Places
Thunder Bay, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1978-5-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1978-5-2
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
15 cm of textual records
Date
[ca. 1971]-[ca. 1976]
Scope and Content
This accession consists of newspaper clippings and correspondence relating to the dismissal of Rabbi Stuart Rosenberg by the Beth Tzedec Board and relating to the Rabbi Hollander case; copies of "The Committee of 10 Report" and "Setting the Records Straight: Analysis and refutation of The Committee of 10 report"; Beth Tzedec Board letters and Bulletins; Beth Tzedec Congregational School Education and Youth Committee minutes and newsletters; Beth Tzedec Congregation Constitution and By-Laws; a report on membership dues policy; and records relating to the Board elections.
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Beth Tzedec Congregation (Toronto, Ont.)
Rosenberg, Stuart E., 1922-1990
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1979-11-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1979-11-1
Material Format
text
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
1 book
8 microfiche sheets
1 photograph : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm
Date
1889-1917
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records created by Goel Tzedec Congregation. Included are microfiche of minutes and ledgers, a copy of a Seder T'filas Yisroel donated to Goel Tzedec by Chaim Smith in 1917, and a class photograph for the Farband Shule taken in the late 1930s.
Included in the photograph are Hershel Fogle, Rivkah G, Fayge Weingarten, Sarah Gingold, Aaron Hermaub, Shangle Atkin, Lil Newman, Etle Brody, Rochel Blumenshtein, Chava Smith, Sora Zweig, Yaacov Drexler, Malka, Yaacov Rosenzweig, Aaron Shnipper, Klumann, Shore, Aaron Folk and the teachers Fogle, Leah Lander, Shopsai Rappaport, Moishe Rigelhaupt, and Dr. Isaiah Rabinowich
Custodial History
Records were kept by Goel Tzedec and later Beth Tzedec and were donated by the museum on behalf of Dr. Fred Weinberg
Administrative History
Goel Tzedec was established in 1883. It was originally an orthodox congregation founded by a group of recent immigrants from Lithuania. The first synagogue was situated in a room on Richmond and York Streets. Three years later they purchased and remodelled a building on University Avenue at Elm Street that was owned by the Methodist Church. Finally, in 1904 they hired an architect to construct a large building that was perfectly suited to their needs. In February of 1907, the building on University Avenue was dedicated and became the largest synagogue in Toronto, accommodating 1200 congregants.
During the early decades of the twentieth century, Goel Tzedec became more ethnically mixed and established a religious school and women's auxiliary to help raise money and run special events. In 1925, the Congregation joined the Conservative Synagogue Movement and introduced changes to its services.
After the Second World War, Goel Tzedec and its sister synagogue, Beth Hamidrash Hagadol amalgamated in September 1952 to form Beth Tzedec. The two congregations worked together to build a synagogue which was built in the North end of the city on Bathurst and was dedicated 9 December 1955. Rabbi Stuart E. Rosenberg served as Beth Tzedec's first Rabbi and J. Benjamin Friedberg as its Assistant Rabbi. The Chazzan at the time was Cantor Joseph Cooper. The synagogue adhered to the principles of the Conservative Movement and represents the largest synagogue in Toronto
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Goel Tzedec Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1982-11-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1982-11-2
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
[between 1940 and 1945]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a flyer from the synagogue urging congregants to make a pledge to a fund to purchase a new building for their Talmud Torah.
Subjects
Synagogues
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1976-10-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1976-10-3
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
26 cm of textual records
Date
1925-1960
Scope and Content
Accession consists of: Toronto Jewish Medical Association minute book (1925-1936); minutes, clinical records, research papers and other records of the Mount Sinai Clinical Association (1932-1953); Mount Sinai Hospital medical staff minute book (1943-1953); a copy of Dr David Eisen's publication "Toronto's Jewish doctors" (1960); and a photograph of the installation of officers of the Mt. Sinai Hospital Clinical Society (1939).
Use Conditions
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Descriptive Notes
Use Condition Note: Access partially restricted. There is sensitive material in the file, “Correspondence and Miscellaneous 1934-1940.” The majority of the file relates to the clinical society, but patient names are mentioned in a few instances. Additionally, the file "Scientific Papers" contains one paper by Dr. Ira Pollock that includes patient photographs.
Subjects
Hospitals
Physicians
Name Access
Eisen, David
Pollock, Ira
Mount Sinai Hospital
Toronto Jewish Medical Association
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1977-8-11
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1977-8-11
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
1940-1966
Scope and Content
Accession consists of material from B'nai Jacob Congregation in Niagara Falls, Ontario. These include bank cheques, utility and hardware bills, insurance policy statements from the 1940s, general correspondence, as well as a report on the dedication of the rebuilt synagogue.
Subjects
Synagogues
Communities
Name Access
B'nai Jacob Congregation (Niagara Falls, Ont.)
Places
Niagara Falls, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1977-8-12
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1977-8-12
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
Physical Description
28 photographs : col (20 negatives) ; 9 x 13 cm and 35 mm
1 folder of textual records
Date
1955-[ca. 1970]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records related to the B'nai Jacob Congregation Sisterhood of Niagara Falls, Ontario. Included are general and executive meeting minutes as well as photographs of a Shavuot event at the synagogue. Beverly Blackstien is identified in one of the photographs.
Subjects
Synagogues
Women
Name Access
B'nai Jacob Congregation (Niagara Falls, Ont.)
Places
Niagara Falls, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1976-9-5
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1976-9-5
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
2 photographs
Date
[nd], 1966
Scope and Content
Accession consists of two photographs of sketches detailing former Holy Blossom Temple locations. The first is a sketch by an unknown artist of Coombe's Drugstore and the second is a sketch by artist Aba Bayefsky of the Richmond St. building.
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Holy Blossom Temple (Toronto, Ont.)
Bayefsky, Aba, 1923-2001
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-1-5
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-1-5
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
86 photographs : col. (26 negatives) ; 10 x 15 cm or smaller
Date
1975-1982
Scope and Content
Accession consists of photographs of the synagogue interior during the restoration and one exterior view dated 1975.
Descriptive Notes
Photographs taken by Michael Shockett, for the Archives Committee.
Subjects
Architecture
Synagogues
Name Access
Kiever Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1976-7-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1976-7-2
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
27 cm of textual records
Date
1942–1968
Scope and Content
Accession consists of two manuscript groups: MG 2 B-16A and MG 3 B 14.
The first manuscript group (MG 3 B 14) consists of material documenting the Adath Israel Congregation of Kirkland Lake. Included are miscellaneous correspondence from 16 September 1952–18 September 1958; accounts from 1949–1954; schedule of services for the years 1955–1956, 1956–1957, 1961–1962, 1962–1963, 1963–1964, and 1965–1966; Board of Education minutes from 25 November 1951–17 June 1955; and a letter to Rabbi B[?] dated 1956.
The second manuscript group (MG 2 B-16A) consists of material documenting B'nai Brith Lodge 1123 of Kirkland Lake. Included are executive meeting minutes from 3 September 1942—3 March 1948; correspondence for the periods 1944–1954, 1947—1949, July 1948–November 1948, and 1960; membership applications for 1947; and a dues book for the years 1944–1946.
MG_RG
MG 2 B-16A
MG 3 B 14
Subjects
Synagogues
Places
Kirkland Lake (Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1988-5-5
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1988-5-5
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
1912
Scope and Content
Accession consists of the Constitution of the Beth Israel Men of Minsk (Congregation Anshei Minsk) in the form of a small booklet. Material is in Yiddish and English.
Administrative History
The booklet belonged to Joshua Meslin, the grandfather of the donor. Joshua was a member of the congregation from its inception and its Shames for forty-two years. It was printed by the Royal Printing Company owned by Benjamin Meslin, Joshua's son.
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Anshei Minsk Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-2-6
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-2-6
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records (1 v.)
Date
1958-1984
Scope and Content
Accession consists of the minute book of Congregation Anshe Minsk with entries written in Yiddish.
Descriptive Notes
Language note: Yiddish
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Anshei Minsk Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1989-10-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1989-10-2
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
7 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records relating to Ralph Milrod's involvement in Beth Tzedec Synagogue and the various court cases of the early 1970s arising from the dismissal of Rabbi Stuart Rosenberg.
Subjects
Synagogues
Law
Name Access
Milrod, Ralph
Rosenthal, Stuart E.
Beth Tzedec Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Places
Toronto, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1977-12-4
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1977-12-4
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
ca. 120 cm of textual records
Date
1904–1969
Scope and Content
Accession consists of material documenting the First Narayever Congregation of Toronto. Included are membership books, minute books, insert cards used to record aliyah pledges, correspondence, ledger sheets, contracts, and other material.
Administrative History
In 1914, Jews from eastern Galicia (now in modern Ukraine) established the First Narayever Congregation in Toronto as a landsmanshaf, i.e. a society of Jewish immigrants from the same town or region. The synagogue takes its name from the small market town of Narayev, which is located in eastern Galicia. The synagogue's founders belonged to the working class and many worked in Toronto's garment industry.
Initially, congregation members met in different locations, but by 1923 their numbers and financial means had grown such that they were able to rent a small house at 70 Huron Street at the corner of Huron and Dundas. This house served as the congregation's home for twenty years.
The congregation's first president was Israel Chaim Katz and its first meeting was held at the Katz home at 156 William Street. The congregation's first rabbi was Solomon Langner, who was hired by the congregation in 1923. He retained this affiliation despite serving the Kiever Synagogue as a full-time rabbi from 1929 until he died in 1973.
In 1943, the congregation purchased property at 187-189 Brunswick Avenue from Bethel Church. This is where the the synagogue is located today.
In 1950, Henry Young became president of the congregation. He occupied that position until his death in 1976. Shalom Langner, the son of Rabbi Solomon Langner, succeeded Young as president.
As Toronto's Jewish population began to move north, the First Narayever continued to serve Orthodox Jews living downtown. In the 1980s, the congregation struggled to balance the needs of this older generation with the young generation's desire to make the synagogue more egalitarian with respect to gender. In 1983, the congregation's new leadership team successfully advanced a proposal to allow the full participation of women in traditional services. This innovation led to several long-standing members taking legal action, but their case was dismissed on the grounds that it was not a matter for civil law.
The First Narayever's identity continued to evolve. In 2009, its membership voted to allow its rabbi, Edward Elkin, who began serving the congregation in 2000, to officiate at same-sex marriages.
MG_RG
MG3 A55
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
First Narayever Congregation (Toronto, Ont.)
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-3-6
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-3-6
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Physical Description
12 drawings: blueline and pencil: 111 x 77cm or smaller
1 folder of textual material
Date
1924-1981
Scope and Content
This accession consists of the original architectural plans of the Kiever Synagogue in Kensington Market as well as plans drawn by Martin Mendelow for the Synagogue's restoration in the early 1980s. Also included is a Mendelow drawing of the Minsk Synagogue and textual materials relating to the Kiever
Custodial History
Materials were kept by Martin Mendelow
Administrative History
Martin Mendelow is a well known architect working in the Toronto area. His professional association with the Kiever Synagogue began when he was hired as architect of the Synagogue's restoration, which was completed in the early 1980s
Subjects
Architecture
Synagogues
Name Access
Anshei Minsk Congregation (Toronto, Ont.)
Kiever Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Menedelow, Martin
Places
Kensington Market (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-5-164
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-5-164
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 11 x 17 cm + identification key
Date
1921
Scope and Content
This accession consists of a photograph of the official opening of the Hebrew Men of England Synagogue. The photograph was taken while the group was preparing for the official portrait and thus there is movement and a relaxed air about the subjects of the photo. A document identifying some of the individuals is included.
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Hebrew Men of England Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-5-75
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-5-75
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
4 photographs ; b&w and col. ; 21 x 25 cm or smaller
Date
[ca. 1930]-1998
Scope and Content
This accession consists of photographs relating to Kirkland Lake, Ontario - Dubinsky family; synagogue; and Krugerdorf Cemetery.
Descriptive Notes
Identification keys and biographical information is provided for the group photos.
Subjects
Cemeteries
Synagogues
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1974-002
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1974-002
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
1928
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a certified copy issued in 1928 of the letters patent incorporating Machziki Hadas Congregation in 1909.
MG_RG
MG3 A6
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Machziki Hadas Congregation (Toronto, Ont.)
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1975-003
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1975-003
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
1926-1971
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records pertaining to the Beach Hebrew Institute (Beth Jacob Synagogue). Included is a land title act documenting the history of the parcel of land at Queen Street and Kenilworth Avenue from 1919 and the congregation's financial arrangements with the Mutual Life Assurance Company and the United Jewish Welfare Fund. There are also letters patent, legal correspondence, and financial reports.
MG_RG
MG3 A21
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Beach Hebrew Institute (Toronto, Ont.)
Places
Kenilworth Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Queen Street East (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1975-005
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1975-005
Physical Description
15 cm of textual records
Date
1928, 1936-1959
Scope and Content
Accession consists of the account books and constitution for the Adath Israel Congregation in Kirkland Lake, Ontario.
MG_RG
MG3 B14
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Adath Israel Synagogue (Kirkland Lake, Ont.)
Places
Kirkland Lake, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1975-006
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1975-006
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
3 cm of textual records
Date
1912-1922
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a financial and meeting minute ledger book (1912-1922) and a photocopy of a financial and meeting minute ledger book (1914-1922) of the B'nai Zion Synagogue in Cobalt, Ontario.
MG_RG
MG3 B15
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
B'nai Zion Synagogue (Cobalt, Ont.)
Places
Cobalt, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1975-015
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1975-015
Material Format
object
textual record
Physical Description
1 name plaque
1 folder of textual records
Date
1906-[193-?]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of an M. Gebirtig name plaque from the Beaches Hebrew Institute of Toronto. The plaque is gold and black metal. Also included is a seat deed for the McCaul Street Synagogue and a deed to plots at the McCaul Street Synagogue cemetery.
MG_RG
MG3 A3
MG3 A21
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Beach Hebrew Institute (Toronto, Ont.)
McCaul Street Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1976-6-4
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1976-6-4
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
6 photographs : b&w
Date
[ca. 1901]-1952
Scope and Content
Accession consists of photographs of B'nai Israel Congregation in Galt, Ontario (now Cambridge, Ontario).
Use Conditions
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
B'nai Israel Congregation (Galt, Ont.)
Places
Galt (Cambridge, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1977-6-7
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1977-6-7
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
8 photographs : col. slide (Kodachrome) ; 35 mm
Date
1977
Scope and Content
Accession consists of colour slides of Ahavas Isaac Synagogue in Sarnia, Shaar Hashomayim Synagogue in Windsor, Beth El Synagogue in Windsor, and Beth El Synagogue in Oakville.
Subjects
Synagogues
Places
Windsor (Ont.)
Oakville (Ont.)
Sarnia (Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1979-9-10
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1979-9-10
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
3 cm of textual records
Date
1941-1960
Scope and Content
Accession consists of 2 minute books containing the minutes from Kenora Jewish community meetings and Kenora Synagogue executive meetings, along with some financial records. Accession also includes synagogue executive correspondence in both English and Yiddish.
MG_RG
MG 3 B20
Subjects
Meetings
Synagogues
Communities
Places
Kenora, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1979-9-18
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1979-9-18
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
1958-1976
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one program to a Celestial Ball held at the Agudath Israel Synagogue in Ottawa, an invitation a Cinderella Ball at the synagogue, invitations to the new synagogue's sod-turning ceremony, installation dinner and dedication ceremonies, bulletins, and a sisterhood newsletter.
MG_RG
MG3 B13
Subjects
Balls (Parties)
Newsletters
Synagogues
Name Access
Agudath Israel Synagogue (Ottawa, Ont.)
Places
Ottawa, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1979-9-34
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1979-9-34
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
1967-1972
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one program for the dedication of a mural by Ronald Satok at the Shomrai Shaboth Synagogue, a twentieth testimonial dinner book honouring Rabbi Gedalia Felder, and a letter to the membership about a booklet written by Rabbi I. Rabinowitch of Montreal.
MG_RG
MG 3 A 11
Subjects
Dedication services
Synagogues
Name Access
Shomrai Shabbos Synagogue
Felder, Gedalia
Rabinowitch, I.
Satok, Ronald
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1979-9-37
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1979-9-37
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
2 cm of textual records (1 vol.)
Date
1969
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a book entitled "History of Beth Jacob Congregation, 1896-1969", published in honour of the Hamilton congregation's 80th anniversary.
Administrative History
Beth Jacob Congregation was founded in 1886 by an Orthodox faction of the Reform Congregation Anshe Sholom, who withdrew from the congregation three years earlier to form an Orthodox minyan, due to differing views on the celebration of Rosh Hashanah.
Descriptive Notes
Beth Jacob Congregation.
Hamilton.
Multicultural History Society of Ontario.
Subjects
Anniversaries
Synagogues
Name Access
Beth Jacob Synagogue (Hamilton, Ont.)
Places
Hamilton, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1979-11-12
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1979-11-12
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 volume
Date
1979
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a Shaarei Shomayim jubilee book, the First Fifty Years.
MG_RG
MG3 A31
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Shaarei Shomayim Congregation (Toronto, Ont.)
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1979-12-13
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1979-12-13
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
5 newsletters
Date
1978–1979
Scope and Content
Accession consists of material documenting Mount Sinai Hospital. Included are issues of Highlights for February 1978, June 1978, October 1978, April 1979, and November 1979.
MG_RG
MG2 01c
Subjects
Hospitals
Name Access
Mount Sinai Hospital (Toronto, Ont.)
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1981-2-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1981-2-1
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
4 photographs : b&w (2 negatives) ; 21 x 26 cm and 11 x 13 cm
Date
1940-1945
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a photograph of the interior and one of the exterior of the Adath Israel Synagogue in Kirkland Lake with corresponding negatives.
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Adath Israel Synagogue (Kirkland Lake, Ont.)
Places
Kirkland Lake (Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1981-5-6
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1981-5-6
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
13 cm of textual records
Date
[197-]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of material documenting Shaarei Shomayim's youth program. Included are bulletins, correspondence, ephemera, and other records.
MG_RG
MG3 A31
Subjects
Jewish youth--Religious life
Synagogues
Name Access
Shaarei Shomayim (Toronto, Ont.)
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1982-2-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1982-2-3
Material Format
object
Physical Description
1 key
Date
1921
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a gold key presented on 18 September 1921 to Fred and Sophie Torno at the opening of the Eastern Children of Israel Congregation, popularly known as the Berkeley Street Synagogue.
Descriptive Notes
B'nai Israel Hamizrachim.
MG_RG
MG 3 A 43
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Eastern Children of Israel Congregation (Toronto, Ont.)
Places
Berkeley Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1982-9-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1982-9-2
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
7 microfilm reels
Date
1856-1969
Scope and Content
Accession consists of seven microfilm reals documenting the early years of Holy Blossom Temple in Toronto. Reels are as follows:
Reel 1: Minutes, 1856-1901; Building Committee, 1894-1897.
Reel 2: Minutes, 1894-1900; Collection Books, 1902-1919; By-laws and Minutes, 1939-1956; By-laws for Holy Blossom Cemeteries; Minutes, 1930-1947; Building Committee, 1937; New Synagogue, 1938.
Reel 3: By-laws and Minutes, 1939-1956.
Reel 4: Register of Toronto Hebrew Congregation; Births, 1857-1868; Marriages, 1851-1894; Burials, 1848 -1900; Large Marriage Register 1858 -1878; By-laws 1876-? (Handwritten), 1894, 1904, 1929, 1949,1955 (printed); By-laws Cemeteries ?-1921; Cash Books, 1900; Monthly Cash Books, 1919; Letterpress copy book and instructions for use; Records and letters from 1891; Letterbooks, 1891-1894; Aliyah Book (which is a small hard cover indexed book containing names of members in English and Hebrew, used for calling members to bless and read the Torah) ca. 1890; January 1921- Ecumenical Service; February 1928- first Canadian exchange of pulpits with Rev. E. Crossley Hunter of Carlton Street United Church and Rabbi Abraham Feinberg participating; Toronto Hebrew Ladies Sick and Benevolent Society Minutes instituted in January 1868, original charter 9 July 1877, later became Toronto Hebrew Benevolent Society; Centennial preparation, committee, service, memorials and interview reports with older members of the congregation.
Reel 5: Collection Books, 1884 -1919.
Reel 6: Officers' Minutes, 1952-1964; Board and Annual Meeting Minutes, 1964-1965; Board Minutes, 1966-1967; Board of Trustees Minutes, 1968-1969; Officers, Trustees & Committee Chairmen; Minutes, 1965-1969.
Reel 7: 11 May 1967 onward
MG_RG
MG 3 A1
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Holy Blossom Temple (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1982-10-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1982-10-3
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
Bulletins
Date
1981-1982
Scope and Content
Accession consists of bulletins from Kehillat Shaarei Torah of Toronto for the years 1981-1982.
MG_RG
MG3 A51
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Kehillat Shaarei Torah of Toronto
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-1-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-1-2
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
1 drawing : pen & ink ; 36 x 30 cm
Date
1978
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a drawing by Martin Mendelow of the Anshei Minsk synagogue.
Subjects
Drawing
Synagogues
Name Access
Anshei Minsk Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2005-8-4
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2005-8-4
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
1907
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a Goel Tzedec Synagogue seat deed for Harry Yanover, purchased in 1907.
Administrative History
Goel Tzedec was established in 1883. It was originally an orthodox congregation founded by a group of recent immigrants from Lithuania and was first situated in a room at Richmond and York Streets. Three years later a former Methodist church at University Avenue at Elm Street was purchased and remodelled. In 1904 the congregation hired an architect to construct a new building and in February of 1907, the synagogue on University Avenue was dedicated. It became the largest synagogue in Toronto, accomodating 1200 congregants.
During the early decades of the twentieth century, Goel Tzedec became more ethnically mixed and established a religious school and women's auxiliary to help raise money and run special events. In 1925, the congregation joined the Conservative Synagogue Movement and introduced changes to its services.
In September of 1952, Goel Tzedec and its sister synagogue Beth Hamidrash Hagadol, amalgamated to form Beth Tzedec.
Harry Yanover was the grandfather of Rayna Rabin.
Subjects
Synagogues
Religion
Name Access
Yanover, Harry
Goel Tzedec Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2005-9-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2005-9-2
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
6 Feb. 1944
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one booklet from the Apter Hilfs Farein 5th Annual Banquet held at Beth Jacob Synagogue in Toronto on Sunday February 6, 1944.
Administrative History
The Apter Hilfs Farein was a landmanshaft organization formed by Polish immigrants to Toronto in the early 20th Century and the precursor to the Apter Friendly Society.
Upon emigrating to Canada the immigrants purchased a small synagogue on Centre Avenue near Dundas Street in 1905, and in 1918, in anticipation of more Apter immigrants coming to Toronto after the First World War, the synagogue was sold and a larger one purchased on Beverley Street. That same year a Relief Committee was founded as a means of helping the Apter landsleit in Poland and while many of its members did not belong to the synagogue, the committee was permitted to hold their meetings there.
After the Second World War, the younger members of the Relief Committee decided to form an organization that would have a different mandate other than relief. Thus, in 1946 the Apter Friendly Society was founded with a membership of forty. The society instituted a series of cultural events and programming and maintained it's original social and welfare functions as well
Subjects
Dinners and dining
Societies
Synagogues
Name Access
Apter Friendly Society (Toronto, Ont.)
Apter Hilfs Farein (Toronto, Ont.)
Beth Jacob Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2005-12-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2005-12-1
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
22 photographs
Date
2002-2003
Scope and Content
This accession consists of 22 photographs taken by the prominent architectural photographer, Robert Burley. They document the interior and exterior features of six of Toronto's original synagogues, including: the Kiever, Knesseth Israel, the First Narayever, Anshei Minsk, Shaarei Tzedec and the Beach Hebrew Institute.
These photographs were part of an exhibit held at the Arthur Anderson Gallery, that ran from February to May 2005. Burley selected these synagogues for his project because they were the only synagogues in the city still operating in their original buildings. His images reveal the architectural details of the buildings as well as the rich interiors, highlighting the murals, religious artifacts and interior structure of each building.
Administrative History
Robert Burley graduated with a Masters degree in Fine Arts from the School of Art Institute in Chicago in 1986. He is an accomplished architectural photographer who has exhibited his work around the world. He is a professor at the School of Image Arts at Ryerson University.
Subjects
Architecture
Synagogues
Name Access
Anshei Minsk Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Beach Hebrew Institute (Toronto, Ont.)
Congregation Shaarei Tzedec (Toronto, Ont.)
First Narayever Congregation (Toronto, Ont.)
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2006-4-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2006-4-3
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
7 watercolours : 11 x 16 cm
Date
1975
Scope and Content
Accession consists of seven watercolour paintings by Hans Plania of Toronto synagogue buildings, including the Kiever, Knesseth Israel, First Narayever, Agudath Israel Anshei Sfard (Palmerston shul), the Beach Hebrew Institute, and the former Beth Jacob on Henry Street.
Use Conditions
Copyright may not be held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Agudath Israel Anshei Sfard Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Beach Hebrew Institute (Toronto, Ont.)
Beth Jacob Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
First Narayever Congregation (Toronto, Ont.)
Kiever Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Knesseth Israel (Toronto, Ont.)
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2006-12-4
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2006-12-4
Material Format
multiple media
Physical Description
0.3 m. of textual records and other material
Date
1973-2005
Scope and Content
The records in this accession consist of early minutes of the Executive Committee, high holiday sermons, sidureem (booklets) that were produced by the synagogue for Shabbat and the holidays, a cassette containing instructions for bar/bat mitzvah children, a CD of music entitled "Solel Sings "Kids" Songs!", and a videotaped recording of the 25th Anniversary celebration of the shul.
Custodial History
The records were donated to the OJA from their archives committee. This committee will be responsible for overseeing future transfers and for helping to establish an information management program within the synagogue.
Administrative History
Solel Congregation was established in1973. It is a reform synagogue, situated in Mississauga, that currently has a membership of 300 families.
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Solel Congregation (Mississauga, Ont.)
Places
Mississauga (Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2006-12-5
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2006-12-5
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 13 x 18 cm and 10 x 12 cm
Date
1921
Scope and Content
This accession consists of one copy photograph and negative taken at the official opening of the Hebrew Men of England Synagogue on Spadina Avenue. The photograph is shows the group dressed in top hats and tails in front of the entrance to the shul. The photograph was taken before the official portrait and thus there is movement and an air of relaxation amongst the subject. The accession record states that this photograph was taken by the donor as he was passing by the shul and saw everyone assembled for the official portrait.
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Hebrew Men of England Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Places
Spadina Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2007-6-38
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2007-6-38
Material Format
textual record (electronic)
Physical Description
6 documents (13 jpgs)
Date
1948-1991
Scope and Content
This accession consists of electronic copies of original textual records, documenting the Jewish community of Owen Sound, Ontario. The records include a community draw ticket (1959); the Canadian Jewish Congress Educational Department code of practice, for discussion at the sixth regional conference on Jewish education (1957); a page from a donation ledger for the United Palestine Appeal (1948); the Beth Ezekiel Synagogue historic plaquing program book (1991); and an employment contract between the Synagogue and Rabbi H. Lasher (1962).
Custodial History
The original records are in the possession of the donor. The OJA was granted permission to scan the documents in June 2007, as part of the Ontario Small Jewish Communities initiative. These copies were then donated to the Archives on 2007-06-11.
Administrative History
Jeff Elie is the current president of Beth Ezekiel Synagogue in Owen Sound. For a history of the Synagogue and the Owen Sound Jewish community, see the OJA's Small Communities Exhbit: http://ontariojewisharchives.org/exhibits/osjc/communities/owensound/index.html
Use Conditions
Copyright may not be held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Subjects
Synagogues
Communities
Name Access
Beth Ezekiel Synagogue
Places
Owen Sound, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
116 records – page 1 of 3.

Narrow By

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Place

Restrictions

Available Digital Content