Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
97 records – page 1 of 2.
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
General office subject and correspondence files series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 17; Series 2; File 1256
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
General office subject and correspondence files series
Level
File
Fonds
17
Series
2
File
1256
Material Format
textual record
Date
1996
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Name Access
Ontario Alliance of Christian Schools
Subjects
Education
Accession Number
2005-2-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[189-]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 18 x 13 cm
Admin History/Bio
Abraham Zivian lived in Gananoque and worked as a teacher in Kingston, Ontario.
Scope and Content
This item is a copy photograph of Abraham Zivian with twelve young students, in Grodno, Lithuania.
Subjects
Education
Children
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1986-3-5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4525
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4525
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[191-]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 12 x 9 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a copy photograph of John Sherman with his public school class. He is pictured in the middle row, second from the right.
Subjects
Children
Education
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1988-4-7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 3917
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
3917
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1932
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Scope and Content
Identified in this photograph, pictured left to right, are: Israel Gang; Roy Shapiro; Rabbi Samuel Sachs; [unknown]; David Siegel; Sarah Siegel; Mark Zimmerman; [unknown]; [unknown]; [Carl or Murray] Keyfetz. This photograph was taken looking north on University Avenue.
Notes
Photograph is the same as photo 1876.
Name Access
Gang, Israel
Shapiro, Roy
Keyfetz, Carl
Goel Tzedec Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Beth Midrash Hagadol Synagogue
Sachs, Samuel, Rabbi
Subjects
Education
Religion
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1979-11-15
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4687
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4687
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1932
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Scope and Content
Photograph of graduating class, University College, University of Toronto. Includes T.K. Draimin, D. Newman, Manny Spring.
Name Access
University College
University of Toronto
Draimin, T.K.
Newman, D.
Spring, Manny
Subjects
Education
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Physical Condition
Item is in poor condition. It is ripped in several places.
Accession Number
1981-11-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4644
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4644
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1932
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Scope and Content
Photograph of University of Toronto or Osgoode Hall graduation, Toronto. L. David E. Newman.
Name Access
University of Toronto
Osgoode Hall
Newman, David E.
Subjects
Education
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1981-11-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4231
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4231
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1915
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Scope and Content
For identification, see accession record.
Name Access
High Park
National Radical School
Workmen's Circle
I.L. Peretz
Arbeter Ring
Arbeiter Ring
Subjects
Education
Picnics
Children
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1986-4-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4233
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4233
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1929
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Scope and Content
For identification, see accession record.
Name Access
Ladies' Auxiliary
Workmen's Circle
Arbeter Ring
Arbeiter Ring
I.L. Peretz
Subjects
Education
Women
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1986-4-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4643
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4643
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1932
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Subjects
Education
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1981-11-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4840
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4840
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1921]
Physical Description
1 photograph : sepia
Scope and Content
Back row, left to right: [unknown]; [unknown]; Dora Ezrin; [unknown].
Front row, left to right: Rose Levine; [unknown]; Edmund Scheuer; [unknown].
Name Access
Levine, Rose
Ezrin, Dora
Scheuer, Edmund
Jewish Organizations
Subjects
Education
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1989-11-7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Accession Number
1990-1-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1990-1-1
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
3.9 m of textual records
1 painting : oil on canvas
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records documenting the Borochov School and Kindergarten, as well as one oil portrait of an unknown individual.
Subjects
Education
Name Access
Borochov School and Kindergarten (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1979-9-16
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1979-9-16
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
1975
Scope and Content
Accession consists of textual records relating to a "Teach-In on Israel" held at the university on 22 January 1975. There is also an announcement of a meeting of the Revolutionary Marxist Group at York.
MG_RG
MG2 P1d
Subjects
Education
Children
Politics and government
Name Access
Jewish Student Federation (York University)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2007-6-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2007-6-3
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w ; 16 x 21 cm
Date
[ca. 1915]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of two class photos of a public school in the early 20th century, possibly the Orde Street Public School. The first image is of students of an all female cooking class, one of whom was Ida Fine Ruderman (1899-1999). The second image is of staff and students of an all male shop class, one of whom is Joseph Fine (Ida's brother).
Subjects
Education
Name Access
Ruderman, Ida
Fine, Joseph
Orde Street Public School (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2007-6-16
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2007-6-16
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
9 photographs : col ; 15 x 10 cm
Date
1998-1999
Scope and Content
Accession consists of nine photographs of events at the Borochov Centre and the Toronto Heschel School. Seven of the photos are of childern observing Yom Hazikaron, one photo is of a Yom Ha'atz-Maul celebration, and one photo is a Yiddish Cultural Club group photo at the Borochov Centre.
Subjects
Religion
Education
Children
Name Access
Borochov Centre
Toronto Heschel School
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2007-11-7
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2007-11-7
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
3 cm of textual records
Date
1995
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one dinner invitation and journal entitled "From Tears to Triumph" presented by the Yeshiva Yesodei Hatorah at a testimonial dinner marking fifty years since the end of the Second World War. The dinner was in honour of the survivors of the Holocaust and their impact on religious life in Toronto. It was held at the Regal Constellation Hotel in Toronto on Sunday, April 2, 1995 and featured Rabbi Ezriel Tauber as guest speaker. The journal features stories of survivors and photographs depicting Jewish religious life in Europe during and after the Second World War.
Administrative History
Yeshiva Yesodei Hatorah was founded in 1945 as Shlomei Emunei Yisroel. It was founded as a school for boys by survivors of the Holocaust who immigrated to Canada with their children.
Descriptive Notes
Shlomei Emunei Yisroel
Subjects
Education
Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945)
Name Access
Yeshiva Yesodei Hatorah (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Part Of
Ethel Mehr fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 68
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Ethel Mehr fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
68
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
Date
[ca. 1898]-1965
Physical Description
70 photographs
1 folder of textual records
Admin History/Bio
Ethel Mehr (1901-1975) was born in Toronto in March 1901, the daugther of Mendel and Bessie Mehr. She attended Bishop Strachan School in Toronto. On 15 Dec. 1925, Ethel married Henry Greisman (1897-1950) who was a partner in the Balfour Building Company and later owned the Lady Ellis chain of clothing stores. They had two children, John Richard and Sally Barbara. After Henry Greisman's death, Ethel married Myer Brenner, whom she had first met as a young women.
Ethel had four siblings, Pincus, Leonard, Lucille (Warshavsky) and Bernice (Dunkelman).
Custodial History
The materials in this fonds were donated to the Archives in 1988 by Sally (Greisman) Brenzel, the daughter of Ethel Mehr.
Scope and Content
This fonds consists of photographs and a small amount of textual records documenting the Mehr, Greisman and Brenner families. The photographs include images of the Mehr family and friends, including individual members of the Greisman and Brenner families, and images of the Lady Ellis Shops in Toronto, Stratford, Ottawa and Windsor. The textual records include Ethel Mehr's confirmation diploma from Holy Blossom Temple as well as a personal letter and a Bishop Strachan domestic science workbook.
Name Access
Mehr, Ethel, 1901-1975
Subjects
Children
Education
Creator
Mehr, Ethel, 1901-1975
Accession Number
1988-12-3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Board of Jewish Education fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 48
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Board of Jewish Education fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
48
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Date
1936-2001
Physical Description
21.5 m of textual records
ca. 180 photographs : col. and b&w (ca. 165 col. negatives) ; 21 x 26 cm or smaller
Admin History/Bio
Established in 1949 as the Bureau of Jewish Education, the Board of Jewish Education (BJE) is the central Jewish agency in Toronto whose mandate is to preserve, enrich, and promote Jewish education in the Greater Toronto area. Its primary tasks are to coordinate and provide leadership in teacher training and professional development, curriculum development, school administration, and inter-school activities, and also to allocate funds to affiliated Jewish schools raised through the annual UJA Federation fundraising campaign.
The BJE was established following the recommendations of a 1948 study of Jewish education in Toronto undertaken by Dr. Uriah Z. Engelman of the American Association for Jewish Education, and sponsored by the United Jewish Welfare Fund (UJWF; now, the UJA Federation of Greater Toronto) and the Canadian Jewish Congress (CJC), Central Region. In its constitution, the bureau was described as having the dual characteristics of being an autonomous agency of the UJWF and also as acting for the UJWF in the field of Jewish education. The bureau was governed by a board of governors with representatives from affiliated schools, the UJWF, CJC Central Region, and from the community at large. The inaugural meeting of the board took place on 20 March 1950.
The organizational structure of the Bureau of Jewish Education mirrored that of the UJWF, with a board of directors and executive committee, standing comittees, and a professional staff. Samuel Posluns was the first president of the BJE and Dr. Joseph Diamond was its first executive director, serving in this position for 18 years. In the 1950s, the staff consisted of the executive director, an administrative assistant, and a school consultant. Over time, the staff was expanded to meet the increased demand for BJE services as the number of affiliated schools grew. For example, the position of director of school finances was created in 1976 to oversee school budgets, monitor tuition fees and teacher salary profiles, and perform other duties relating to financial management.
The BJE's offices were located with those of the United Jewish Welfare Fund, first on Spadina Avenue and then on Beverley Street, until the 1960s, when the board moved to offices in the Jewish Public Library on Glen Park Avenue. The board remained there until 1983, when the BJE moved into the newly built Lipa Green Building, on Bathurst Street, along with the other departments of the Toronto Jewish Congress, as the UJWF was renamed in 1976.
During the 1950s and early 1960s, the BJE sponsored adult education programs in Toronto through the Institute for Jewish Studies, in collaboration with the Jewish Community Centre (JCC) and CJC. The BJE also provided assistance and advice to the CJC in support of Jewish education in the smaller Jewish communities in Ontario. The BJE's role in adult education diminished significantly after its reorganization in 1968, but this again became a responsibility for the BJE in the late 1990s.
The BJE has gone through several periods of reorganization since it was founded: in 1968, when the bureau became the Board of Jewish Education and its board was reduced in size significantly; in the late 1970s, with the implementation of recommendations of the 1975 UJWF Study Committee on Jewish Education; in the early 1990s, following the development of a strategic plan for the BJE; and in the late 1990s, following the recommendations of the Jewish Federation of Greater Toronto Commission on Jewish Education (1996). The 1968 reorganization was the most significant of these, with the BJE Board of Directors reduced from over 80 members to just 20 members approved by the UJWF, and the number of standing committees was reduced to two. Stephen Berger was appointed as first chairman of the Board of Jewish Education in 1968, and in 1969, Rabbi Irwin E. Witty became the second executive director of the BJE. Later reorganizations typically involved alterations to the number and responsibilities of BJE committees.
Although its primary function is to support existing educational institutions, the BJE has also participated in establishing several new instititions in Toronto. In 1953, to meet the need for qualified teachers in affiliated schools, the BJE and CJC Central Region founded a Jewish teachers' seminary (Midrasha L'Morim) in Toronto, which was jointly funded by the BJE and CJC for many years. In 1960, the BJE and UJWF sponsored the establishment of a non-denominational Jewish high school, the Community Hebrew Academy of Toronto (CHAT), with the BJE Executive Director as its director. In 1978, the Orah School for Jewish Children from the Soviet Union was established by the BJE, to meet the special needs of the large numbers of recent immigrants from the Soviet Union.
At its founding, the BJE served a total of 21 day and supplementary schools. When it ceased functioning in 2012, the BJE served more than 70 day and supplementary schools in the Greater Toronto area, with the position of chair held by Baila Lubek and the position of executive director held by Dr. Seymour Epstein. The Board was replaced by the Mercaz and later, the Centre for Jewish Education.
Custodial History
The BJE records in accession 1995-8-2 were in the possession of Harvey Raben, formerly a school consultant with the BJE, for several years prior to his donation in 1995, while Raben worked on his Doctor of Education thesis on the history of the BJE.
Scope and Content
The fonds documents the interactions of the BJE with affiliated schools, the UJWF and its successors -- the Toronto Jewish Congress (TJC), Jewish Federation of Greater Toronto (JFGT) and UJA Federation of Greater Toronto -- and the community in its work of facilitating and financing Jewish education in Toronto. The bulk of the records consist of the files of the executive director, associate director and director of school finances, and minutes of the BJE Board of Directors and its committees. As well as meeting minutes, these records include memoranda, correspondence, committee reports, budget and financial statements, and a small number of photographs of individuals and of BJE events.
The fonds is arranged into eighteen series defined by the BJE's organizational units, projects and programs, institutions established by the BJE or its officers, and by record form. These series are as follows: Board of directors and executive committee, Executive director, Director of school finances, Subject files, School files, Chronological correspondence and memoranda, Newsletters and other publications, Midrasha L'Morim, Bible contests, Canada-Israel Secondary School Program, Community Hebrew Academy of Toronto, Orah School for Russian Jewish Children, Dr. Abraham Shore She'arim Hebrew Day School, Toronto Jewish Media Centre, Meyer W. Gasner Memorial Scholarship Fund, Principals councils, Association of Jewish Day School Administrators, and Parents Council of Hebrew Day Schools
Name Access
Board of Jewish Education
Subjects
Education
Access Restriction
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Related Material
The records of the Educational and Cultural Committee in the Canadian Jewish Congress Central Region fonds document the CJC's involvement in the establishment of the BJE and the operation and funding of the Midrasha L'Morim. The UJA Federation of Greater Toronto fonds, accessions 2002-10-54, 2004-6-4 and 2004-6-9 contain records on the establishment of the Bureau of Jewish Education, the appointment of UJWF representatives to its board, the reorganization of the bureau as the Board of Jewish Education in 1968, the various studies conducted of the BJE, and the annual review and approval of allotments for Jewish education in Toronto by UJA Federation and its predecessors. Accession 2004-6-4 also contains records on the funding of Jewish education in Toronto by the UJWF in the late 1930s and the 1940s, prior to the establishment of the BJE.
Arrangement
Files at the BJE were typically organized alphabetically by subject with no clear division by function or program. While some files were kept in a central filing system maintained by an administrative assistant and shared by all professional staff, staff members also kept their own series of alphabetical subject files. Since staff responsibilities for programs and support of board committees shifted over time, records relating to these programs and activities became dispersed across several sets of files. The archivist has extracted files relating to programs, committees, and areas of activity from these various sets of subject files and defined series according to these activities, programs and functions. The remaining alphabetical subject files have been integrated into one subject file series. File titles have been edited to bring together records relating to similar topics, events and activities within this series.
The other two common filing methods employed at the BJE were to store correspondence, memoranda and committee minutes chronologically (often in 3-ring binders), and in series of "School files" -- files organized alphabetically by school name, containing correspondence and other records relating to the school. The school files have been brought together into one school file series. The chronological series have been left in their original order.
Creator
Board of Jewish Education (1949-2007)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Ladovsky family fonds
Photographs file
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 83; File 9; Item 11
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Ladovsky family fonds
Photographs file
Level
Item
Fonds
83
File
9
Item
11
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1919
Physical Description
3 photographs : b&w and sepia ( 1 negative) ; 17 x 24 cm and 10 x 16 cm on matte 14 x 23 cm
Scope and Content
Photograph of an elementary school class at Hester Howe School on Elizabeth Street. Front row: David Wise (4th from left), Harry Greenberg (3rd from right).
Notes
Herman and Samuel Ladovsky are likely in the photograph as they attended the school in 1919, but have not been identified.
Originally cited as photo # 2487.
Name Access
Hester Howe School
Subjects
Children
Education
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Physical Condition
The top of the matte has been cut off and the existing corners are in poor condition.
Accession Number
1981-1-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Dr. Alexander Brown fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 95
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Dr. Alexander Brown fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
95
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Date
1934-1982
Physical Description
58 cm of textual records
125 photographs
1 print
Admin History/Bio
Dr. Alexander Brown (1909-1984) was a leader in the field of Jewish education in Toronto. He held various positions with Toronto’s Board of Jewish Education (BJE) and the Associated Hebrew Schools of Toronto, and was actively involved with other Jewish organizations, such as the Canadian Jewish Congress (CJC) and the United Jewish Welfare Fund (UJWF).
Brown was born in the Ukraine on 14 February 1909 to Louis and Bessie Brown. The family immigrated to Canada in 1920. Brown attended the Simcoe Street Talmud Torah and studied under Rabbi Jacob Gordon. He continued his education at the Hebrew Theological College of Chicago and returned to Toronto in 1933. Between 1934 and 1936 Brown served as the first Executive Secretary of the CJC, Central Region. From 1936 to 1937 he was an announcer for the Jewish Radio Hour, where he read the News of the Week. In 1945 he graduated from the University of Toronto with a BA and then again in 1948 with an MA in Oriental Languages. Brown was married to Dorothy Mercovitch (1912-2009) of London, Ontario and together they had two children, Martin and Paul.
Brown entered the field of Jewish education as the Principal of Shaarei Shomayim Hebrew School from 1942 to 1948, as a Principal of the AHS of Toronto and as Dean of the Midrasha L'Morim. From 1957 to 1964 he worked as a consultant with the BJE in Toronto and then became the BJE's Associate Director until the early 1980s. He also was a member of the UJWF’s Study Committee on Jewish Education, the National Council of Jewish Education, the Toronto Zionist Council and the Educational and Cultural Committee of the CJC. In 1969, he received an honourary doctorate in Hebrew Letters from the Hebrew Theological College in Skokie, Illinois.
Dr. Brown died on 15 September 1984 at the age of 75.
Custodial History
Records were in the possession of Paul Brown, Dr. Brown's son, until their donation to the OJA.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of textual and graphic material documenting the professional activities of Dr. Alexander Brown. The bulk of the material relates to his involvement with the BJE and the Associated Hebrew Schools of Toronto. Included are meeting notices, agendas, and minutes, reports, studies, speeches, proposals, constitutions, correspondence, financial records, publications, questionnaires, photographs, booklets, articles, biographies, press releases, newspaper clippings, programmes, invitations, flyers, lists, applications, statistics, and a directory.
Records have been arranged into the following four series: 1. Board of Jewish Education; 2. Associated Hebrew Schools of Toronto; 3. United Jewish Welfare Fund Study Committee on Jewish Education; and, 4. Jewish communal activities. Two files are attached directly to the fonds level. Records are described to the file level with a selection of item level descriptions.
Notes
Fonds was reduced from approximately 1.2 metres to 0.74 metres. Records that were culled include duplicate or damaged photographs, duplicate graduation programmes and invitations, duplicate UJWF Study Committee Interim reports that are located elsewhere in OJA's holdings, and other duplicated material. Also removed were American and other non-Canadian booklets.
Photographers and photography studios are identified on the photographs.
Name Access
Brown, Alexander, 1909-1984
Gordon, Jacob, Rabbi
Associated Hebrew Schools of Toronto
Board of Jewish Education (Toronto, Ont.)
United Jewish Welfare Fund (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Education
Physical Condition
The photographs are in poor condition. They have begun to curl and have become stiff from being stored in a dry environment. They should be flattened through humidification and encapsulated in mylar to prevent re-curling.
Related Material
See: Oral history interview with Dr. Brown (AC 140), Board of Jewish Education fonds 48, United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds 67, AHS of Toronto MG2 G-1E, accession 1981-11-4, United Synagogue Day School accession 1990-5-2, accession 1991-12-5, and accession 1988-11-3. For photographs of Jewish schools see Gordon Mendly fonds 18, series 3.
Arrangement
Arrangement has been created by the archivist since there was no discernable original order.
Creator
Brown, Alexander, 1909-1984
Accession Number
2009-7-9
2010-12-9
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Personal series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Personal series
Level
Series
Fonds
4
Series
1
Material Format
multiple media
Date
[ca. 1900]-2000
Physical Description
49 cm of textual records and other material
Admin History/Bio
Sol Edell, the son of Paul and Mollie Edell, was one of five siblings. He and Dolly Weinstock, the daughter of Moishe and Sylvia Weinstock, had two daughters and two sons and lived in Toronto. After Dolly died in 1961, he married Celia (nee Rogen) Hoffman, a widow, in 1966. He became the stepfather to the two sons of Max and Celia Hoffman who had been residents of Hamilton. Some members of the family remained in Toronto while others moved to other parts of Canada, the United States and Israel. Sol Edell was actively involved in or provided financial support to many educational, professional and religious organizations.
Scope and Content
Series includes correspondence, invitations, publications, photographs, family films and a sound recording. The series is made up of seven sub-series: Associations, Charities, Community Activities, Education and Extra-Curricular Activities, Life Cycle and Family Events, Religious, and Residence.
Notes
Physical description note: includes 12 photographs, 7 film reels, 1 audio reel, 1 plaque, 4 badges, and 47 architectural drawings.
Name Access
Hoffman, Max
Hoffman, Celia
Rho Pi Phi
Harbord Collegiate
Subjects
Education
Greek letter societies
Physical Condition
Film and sound reels should be digitized.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Adas Israel Synagogue series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Adas Israel Synagogue series
Level
Series
Fonds
4
Series
5
Material Format
multiple media
Date
1958-2008
Physical Description
21 cm of textual records and other material
Admin History/Bio
Adas Israel is an orthodox congregation that was founded in the 1920s. The original building was on Cannon Street in downtown Hamilton. After the arrival of Rabbi Morton Green in 1958, a decision was made to move the synagogue to the western suburbs of Hamilton. The new building was built in 1961 and also included the Hamilton Hebrew Academy Day School. Since its move, synagogue membership has increased from 75 families to 350 families. Sol Edell became a member in 1966 after he married Celia Hoffman who was a member of the congregation. He did not attend the synagogue and had no regular involvement but did supervise a number synagogue renovation projects.
Custodial History
The material in this series was originally collected by the Hoffman family who were members of the congregation in the 1960s. Sol Edell became a member of the congregation after his marriage to Celia Hoffman in 1966. After her death in 1973, he inherited the material that she had collected and he continued to receive material from the congregation since he maintained his membership until his death in 2000.
Scope and Content
Series consists of correspondence, blueprints, photographs, audiotapes and films relating to the establishment and construction of the new synagogue in 1961. It also includes correspondence and anniversary books documenting a variety of synagogue activities such as the dedication of the synagogue and a tribute dinner honouring Rabbi Mordechai Green. Also included are synagogue bulletins from 1958 to 2000. The series is made up of 6 sub series: Building, Clergy, Religious, Programmes, Administration and Finance, and Publications.
Notes
Physical description note: includes 27 photographs, 3 audio reels, 1 film reel, 15 architectural drawings, and 1 key.
Name Access
Green, Morton, Rabbi
Hoffman, Celia
Hamilton Hebrew Academy Day School
Subjects
Architecture
Education
Synagogues
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
General community activities series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 11
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
General community activities series
Level
Series
Fonds
4
Series
11
Material Format
multiple media
Date
1950-2010
Physical Description
77 cm of textual records and other material
Admin History/Bio
In addition to his ongoing involvement with Clanton Park, the Canadian Jewish Congress Archives, the Aliyah Support Group, Jones Avenue Cemetery, Shomrai Shabbos and Adas Israel, Sol Edell undertook special projects on behalf of a wide array of Jewish organizations. These include cultural (Toronto Cantorial Scholarship Fund), educational (Netivot Hatorah and Yeshivat Or Chaim Ulpanat Orot), religious (Union of Jewish Orthodox Congregations), social welfare (Association of Jewish Seniors and Co-Ordinated Services to the Jewish Elderly) and Zionist (Canadian Friends of Yeshivat Hakotel and State of Israel Bonds) organizations.
Scope and Content
Series consists of records documenting Sol Edell's involvement with a wide variety of Jewish educational, social and religious organizations and institutions in Canada, the United States, and Israel. Included are meeting minutes, publications, reports, photographs, correspondence, invitations, programmes, financial records, an architectural drawing, and a sound recording. While many of these organizations such as Eitz Chaim, Or Chaim Ulpanat Orot (educational), Mizrachi Organization of Canada, Emunah Women (Zionist) and Beth Jacob V’Anshe Drildz (synagogue) are orthodox, others such as Associated Hebrew Day Schools (educational), State of Israel Bonds (Zionist) and Co-ordinated Services to the Jewish Elderly (social welfare) have no religious affiliation.
Notes
Physical description note: includes 26 photographs, 1 audio cassette, and 1 architectural drawing.
Name Access
Eitz Chaim
Or Chaim Ulpanat Orot
Mizrachi Men’s Organization
Emunah Women
Beth Jacob V'Anshei Drildz (Toronto, Ont.)
Associated Hebrew Day Schools
State of Israel Bonds
Co-ordinated Services to the Jewish Elderly
Camp Moshava
Harbord Collegiate
Netivot Hatorah
Union of Jewish Orthodox Congregations
B'Nei Akiva
Toronto Committee for Bikur Cholim Hospital
Subjects
Charities
Children
Education
Fund raising
Older people
Religion
Zionism
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Hoffman family fonds
Community Activities series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 6; Series 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Hoffman family fonds
Community Activities series
Level
Series
Fonds
6
Series
2
Material Format
textual record
Date
1957-1969
Physical Description
10 cm of textual records
Admin History/Bio
Max and Celia Hoffman were involved in many community activities including the synagogue and Jewish education. They raised funds on behalf of the community and also made financial contributions to a variety of Jewish organizations.
Scope and Content
Series consists of correspondence, financial reports and programme books relating to educational, religious and fraternal organizations and institutions in Hamilton. Series also contains material from local events such as the dedication of Adas Israel synagogue and regional events such as the convention of the Canadian Jewish Congress and the Union of Orthodox Jewish Congregations of America, Ontario Region. In addition, there are correspondence and a certificate from Yeshiva University in regards to a scholarship established by Max and Celia Hoffman. Other material includes a calendar published by the Hamilton chapter of B’Nai Brith and the Hamilton District Jewish Community Telephone Directory.
Name Access
B'nai B'rith
Canadian Jewish Congress
Union of Orthodox Jewish Congregations of America, Ontario Region
Central Fund for Traditional Institutions
Hamilton Talmud Torah
National Society for Hebrew Day Schools
Hamilton District Jewish Community Telephone Directory
Subjects
Education
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Hoffman family fonds
Personal series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 6; Series 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Hoffman family fonds
Personal series
Level
Series
Fonds
6
Series
3
Material Format
multiple media
Date
[195-]-1962
Physical Description
5 cm of textual records
Admin History/Bio
Max and Celia Hoffman lived in Hamilton with their 2 children, Stephen and Jay. They were members of Adas Israel synagogue and the Beverley Golf and Country Club. The children attended the Hamilton Talmud Torah.
Scope and Content
Series contains correspondence and blueprints relating to the construction of the Hoffman residence. Also included are the Westlake Secondary School yearbook, the school attended by the Hoffman children and a biography of Meyer Hoffman, a relative of Max Hoffman. In addition, there is correspondence relating to the Hoffman family membership in the Beverley Golf and Country Club.
Name Access
Hamilton
Beverley Golf and Country Club
Subjects
Building
Education
Golf
Recreation
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Personal series
Charities sub-series
Level
Sub-series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 1-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Personal series
Charities sub-series
Level
Sub-series
Fonds
4
Series
1-2
Material Format
textual record
Date
1957-1997
Physical Description
3 cm of textual records
Admin History/Bio
Sol Edell made charitable donations to a large number of Jewish organizations mainly ones located in Canada, Israel and the United States.
Scope and Content
Sub-series consists of correspondence, receipts and certificates from Canadian, American and Israeli educational, religious and welfare organizations and institutions that received charitable donations from the Edell family.
Subjects
Charities
Education
Israel
Religion
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Personal series
Community activities sub-series
Level
Sub-series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 1-3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Personal series
Community activities sub-series
Level
Sub-series
Fonds
4
Series
1-3
Material Format
textual record
object
Date
1968-1995
Physical Description
3 folders of textual records
1 plaque
Admin History/Bio
Sol Edell was involved in a variety of religious, educational and cultural organizations. Not only did he make financial donations to organizations, but he also became personally involved and organized specific projects. As well, representatives of foreign institutions would stay at his home when they came to Toronto on speaking engagements or fundraising missions.
Scope and Content
Sub-series consists of awards that relate to Sol Edell’s fundraising efforts on behalf of “Yeshiva Hatalmid” and for hosting speakers and fundraisers who were visiting Toronto. Also included is a day book listing community meetings as well as family events. As well, there is correspondence relating to an item loaned to the Baycrest Heritage Museum, and a plaque.
Name Access
Yeshiva Hatalmid
Baycrest Heritage Museum
Subjects
Education
Fund raising
Religion
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Personal series
Education and extracurricular activities sub-series
Level
Sub-series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 1-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Personal series
Education and extracurricular activities sub-series
Level
Sub-series
Fonds
4
Series
1-4
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
object
Date
1921-1999
Physical Description
4 folders of textual records
1 photograph
4 badges
Admin History/Bio
Sol Edell attended Harbord Collegiate and was an honours student winning awards in several extra curricular activities. His children and grandchildren also excelled scholastically while attending a variety various Jewish parochial schools in Toronto such as the Associated Hebrew Day Schools, Eitz Chaim, Netivot Hatorah and Yeshivat Bnei Akiva Or Chaim Ulpanat Orot.
Scope and Content
Sub-series consists of material relating to the educational and recreational activities of the Edell family. There are newspaper clippings relating to Sol Edell’s participation in the Harbord Collegiate’s First Aid team and a University of Toronto graduation photograph. Sub-series includes correspondence, notices and booklets from his sisters’ and children’s elementary, high school and university graduation commencement exercises. In addition, sub-series consists of correspondence with the Associated Hebrew Day Schools relating to a scholarship awarded in memory of Sol Edell's grandfather, Rabbi Yosef Weinreb.
Name Access
Harbord Collegiate
First Aid team
Rabbi Yosef Weinreb Scholarship
University of Toronto
Subjects
Education
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
Community Relations Committee series
Research Records sub-series
Small Ontario Jewish Communities sub-sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
17
Series
5-4-8
File
53
Material Format
textual record
Date
1969
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of correspondence regarding Jewish related issues in Ottawa. Issues examined include government funding for Jewish Day Schools and Christian-Jewish Relations.
Notes
Previously processed and cited as part of MG8 S.
Subjects
Education
Judaism--Relations--Christianity
Places
Ottawa (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 3760
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
3760
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1916-1917]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm
Scope and Content
Two copy photographs of a Folk Shule, probably on Beverley Street, Toronto. Sadie Sorosky (Roebuck) is in the front row, second from right.
Notes
See also: photos #3757, #3758, and #3759.
Name Access
Sorosky, Sadie
Subjects
Children
Education
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1985-5-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4285
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4285
Material Format
graphic material
Date
5 Dec. 1921
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Notes
Photo by Modern Studio, 452 Queen St. W.
Subjects
Education
Children
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1985-3-6
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 3961
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
3961
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1936
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Notes
Photo by Simon.
For identification see accession record.
Name Access
I.L. Peretz
Workmen's Circle
Arbeter Ring
Arbeiter Ring
Subjects
Education
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1986-4-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 3963
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
3963
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1938
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Notes
Photo by Schlochter.
Name Access
I.L. Peretz
Workmen's Circle
Arbeter Ring
Arbeiter Ring
Subjects
Education
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1986-4-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 3962
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
3962
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1937
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Notes
For identification see accession record.
Photo by Simon.
Name Access
I.L. Peretz
Workmen's Circle
Arbeter Ring
Arbeiter Ring
Subjects
Education
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1986-4-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4642
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4642
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1932
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Scope and Content
Photograph of a graduation picture. Fifth from the left is David Newman. Some names are written on the front of the photograph.
Name Access
Newman, David
Subjects
Education
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1981-11-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4270
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4270
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1918]
Physical Description
1 photograph
Scope and Content
Photograph is of the manual training class at either the King Eward School or the Manning Ave. School.
Notes
There is no negative.
Name Access
King Edward School (Toronto, Ont.)
Manning Avenue School (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Children
Education
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1984-12-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4323
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4323
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[between 1932 and 1934]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Notes
There is a negative for this photograph.
Name Access
Clinton St. School
Miss Chambers
Subjects
Children
Education
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1987-1-7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4329
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4329
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1924
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Notes
There is a negative for this photograph.
Name Access
Ogden Schools
Subjects
Children
Education
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1986-1-12
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4330
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4330
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1922]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Notes
There is a negative for this photograph.
Name Access
Ogden School
Subjects
Children
Education
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1986-1-12
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4331
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4331
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1927]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w (1 negative)
Name Access
Ogden School
Subjects
Children
Education
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1986-1-12
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 3874
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
3874
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1892
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Name Access
Harbord Collegiate
Subjects
Education
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1984-1-8
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 3873
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
3873
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1900
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Name Access
Harbord Collegiate
Subjects
Education
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1984-1-8
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 1306
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
1306
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[1906 or 1907]
Physical Description
1 photograph: b&w (1 negative)
Scope and Content
Photograph of a domestic science class at Lord Dufferin School on Berkeley St. Second from the left in the front row is Mattie Levi.
Name Access
Levi, Mattie
Lord Dufferin School
Subjects
Children
Education
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Beverley Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
1977-5-7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 1780
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
1780
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1914
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Name Access
Duke St. School
Subjects
Children
Education
Food
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1979-9-42
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4153
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4153
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1940]
Physical Description
2 photographs : (1 negative)
Scope and Content
Circled: Norman Grosbein.
Subjects
Children
Education
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1986-10-10
Source
Archival Descriptions
Address
371 Spadina Avenue
Source
Landmarks

Hyman's Books and Art was a popular locale for the literary crowd. Hebraists were known to spend time here, discussing the latest trends in the world of literature. The owner Ben Zimon Hyman was also a Hebrew teacher but had originally trained as an engineer both in Russia and at the University of Toronto.
Address
371 Spadina Avenue
Time Period
1925-1973
Scope Note
Hyman's Books and Art was a popular locale for the literary crowd. Hebraists were known to spend time here, discussing the latest trends in the world of literature. The owner Ben Zimon Hyman was also a Hebrew teacher but had originally trained as an engineer both in Russia and at the University of Toronto.
History
The store was operated by Ben Zion Hyman and his wife Fanny. Their hours were 8:30 a.m. to 1pm daily (except for Saturday). There was a mimeograph machine, pop cooler, newspapers and a bar mitzvah registry. They carried Yiddish and Hebrew books, Judaica, tickets for the Standard Theatre, stationary, and school supplies. The store later moved to 412 Spadina Ave. (Donegan, Spadina Ave., p.138)
Category
Education
Arts
Retail store
Source
Landmarks
Address
9 Brunswick Avenue
Source
Landmarks

The Toronto Hebrew Religious School was established in 1907 to provide children with a Jewish education based on non-denominational, Zionist, and traditional Torah values. The school’s curriculum focused on the importance of the Jewish community and people (klal yisrael), as well as the responsibilities and privileges that being a Canadian citizen entailed. Being a staunchly Zionistic institution, all lessons were taught in Hebrew (ivrit bi ivrit). Originally situated on Simcoe Street, the school moved to its Brunswick Avenue location in 1925, and was known from then on as the Toronto Hebrew Free School and more informally as the Brunswick Avenue Talmud Torah. The building was designed by Jewish architect, Benjamin Brown.
Address
9 Brunswick Avenue
Time Period
1925-1946
Scope Note
The Toronto Hebrew Religious School was established in 1907 to provide children with a Jewish education based on non-denominational, Zionist, and traditional Torah values. The school’s curriculum focused on the importance of the Jewish community and people (klal yisrael), as well as the responsibilities and privileges that being a Canadian citizen entailed. Being a staunchly Zionistic institution, all lessons were taught in Hebrew (ivrit bi ivrit). Originally situated on Simcoe Street, the school moved to its Brunswick Avenue location in 1925, and was known from then on as the Toronto Hebrew Free School and more informally as the Brunswick Avenue Talmud Torah. The building was designed by Jewish architect, Benjamin Brown.
History
In 1946 the school became known officially as the Associated Hebrew Schools of Toronto. Having started initially as an afternoon and weekend school, in the 1940s the school began offering a full day program with its’ first grade 8 day school class graduating in 1951. From the Brunswick location, Associated branched out, and opened up branches further north, eventually establishing campuses on Finch Ave. and Neptune, where the schools are currently located.
Category
Education
Source
Landmarks
Address
79 Borden Street
Source
Landmarks

The Morris Winchevsky School, an affiliate of the United Jewish People’s Order (UJPO), was founded in 1928 to provide a progressive secular Jewish education focusing on Jewish culture and tradition to children in kindergarten through grade seven. This program was run after schools.
Address
79 Borden Street
Time Period
1925-
Scope Note
The Morris Winchevsky School, an affiliate of the United Jewish People’s Order (UJPO), was founded in 1928 to provide a progressive secular Jewish education focusing on Jewish culture and tradition to children in kindergarten through grade seven. This program was run after schools.
Category
Education
Source
Landmarks
Address
1 Major Street
Source
Landmarks

The Borochov School, a branch of the Poale Zion Zionist Labour movement (PZL), opened in 1932, offering an after-school program for families who wanted their children to receive an education that was in harmony with their beliefs. The school promoted Zionism and Socialism both in Canada and in Israel. Differing from other PZL movement schools, the Borochov School placed a greater importance on Yiddish than Hebrew.
Address
1 Major Street
Time Period
1932-1976
Scope Note
The Borochov School, a branch of the Poale Zion Zionist Labour movement (PZL), opened in 1932, offering an after-school program for families who wanted their children to receive an education that was in harmony with their beliefs. The school promoted Zionism and Socialism both in Canada and in Israel. Differing from other PZL movement schools, the Borochov School placed a greater importance on Yiddish than Hebrew.
History
In 1976, the branch of the PLZ that the Borochov School affiliated itself with, amalgamated with the other PZL organizations and the school's day-to-day functioning closed. Bialik Hebrew School became the sole educational facility for the PZL movement.
Category
Education
Source
Landmarks
Address
542 Dundas Street West
Source
Landmarks

The Yiddisher Zhurnal (or the Daily Hebrew Journal) was the primary organ for the Yiddish-speaking population in Toronto. This newspaper covered events in the Jewish world in Toronto and abroad. The paper was also a forum for Yiddish essayists. The long-time editor of the newspaper was Abraham Rhinewine (1887-1932). Born in Poland in 1887, he immigrated to London, England in 1902 and then came to Toronto with his wife Amy in 1907.
Address
542 Dundas Street West
Time Period
1910-1975
Scope Note
The Yiddisher Zhurnal (or the Daily Hebrew Journal) was the primary organ for the Yiddish-speaking population in Toronto. This newspaper covered events in the Jewish world in Toronto and abroad. The paper was also a forum for Yiddish essayists. The long-time editor of the newspaper was Abraham Rhinewine (1887-1932). Born in Poland in 1887, he immigrated to London, England in 1902 and then came to Toronto with his wife Amy in 1907.
History
The newspaper eventually moved to 409 College Street West (at Lippincott). The OJA has the Yiddisher Zhurnal on microfiche from 1915-1959.
Category
Political
Education
Arts
Source
Landmarks
Address
15 Brunswick Avenue
Source
Landmarks

At the turn of the twentieth-century, the Jewish population of Toronto grew with large numbers of Eastern European families fleeing hardship back home. Soon, a variety of clubs began forming, providing a place for Jewish boys and girls to participate in athletic and social programming. In 1919, several of the athletic and social groups decided to amalgamate and formed an umbrella organization known as the Hebrew Association of Young Men’s and Young Women’s Clubs. By 1930, they were known as the YM-YWHA (Young Men’s and Young Women’s Hebrew Association. Through the 1920s and 30s, they occupied a number of facilities in the Brunswick Avenue and College Street area.
Address
15 Brunswick Avenue
Time Period
1937
Scope Note
At the turn of the twentieth-century, the Jewish population of Toronto grew with large numbers of Eastern European families fleeing hardship back home. Soon, a variety of clubs began forming, providing a place for Jewish boys and girls to participate in athletic and social programming. In 1919, several of the athletic and social groups decided to amalgamate and formed an umbrella organization known as the Hebrew Association of Young Men’s and Young Women’s Clubs. By 1930, they were known as the YM-YWHA (Young Men’s and Young Women’s Hebrew Association. Through the 1920s and 30s, they occupied a number of facilities in the Brunswick Avenue and College Street area.
History
As a result of the overcrowding and de-centralized facilities, in 1937, the YM-YWHA constructed its own athletic building at 15 Brunswick Avenue, next door to the Talmud Torah, to ease the overcrowding. Similar to the JCCs of today, the early YM-YWHA provided a sense of Jewish identity and camaraderie through physical, educational, cultural and community based programming.
Category
Arts
Education
Private Clubs
Source
Landmarks
97 records – page 1 of 2.

Narrow By

Collection Name

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Place

Language

Restrictions

Available Digital Content