Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
32 records – page 1 of 1.
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 67
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
67
Material Format
multiple media
Date
1936-1991, predominant 1938-1976
Physical Description
10 m of textual records
5541 photographs, 25 x 20 cm and smaller, and other media
Admin History/Bio
The Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Toronto was incorporated in Ontario in March 1917 to coordinate the fundraising activities of Jewish charitable, philanthropic, and social service agencies in Toronto. In 1918, ten separate agencies were funded by the FJPT. By 1937, fourteen agencies were funded. The Great Depression of the 1930s and the development of several newer Jewish aid, education and medical care organizations created both increased need for resources and growing competition for ever-more scarce dollars. Within a very few years this funding crisis forced a major review of the organization.
During 1936 a series of special meetings of leading individuals were held to examine the income and expenditures of all Toronto Jewish agencies and also to speculate about the need for a new Toronto Jewish "Community Chest" as the sole fund-raising organization for a federation of all Jewish agencies including the FJPT. In 1938, the new United Jewish Welfare Fund was formally constituted. Added to the FJPT's previous list of Toronto client agencies in 1938 were: the Canadian Jewish Congress, the Hebrew National Association, the Jewish Immigrant Aid Association, the Mizrachi Society, the Toronto Free Loan Association, the Geverkshaften, and Old Folks Home, and the United Palestine Appeal, raising the total number of agencies to 22.
When the State of Israel was established in 1948, the UJWF's annual fundraising campaign was combined with the CJC's United Palestine appeal to form a new, combined campaign named the United Jewish Appeal (UJA). In 1967, the UJA name was legally changed to the United Jewish Appeal of Metropolitan Toronto.
In mid-1976, the organization's public name was changed to the Toronto Jewish Congress. Although initially thought of as a merger between the UJWF and the CJC, the actual result was the expansion of the UJWF responsibilities to include local education and welfare services previously shared with the Canadian Jewish Congress, Central Region. The UJWF, however, remained the legal senior entity.
In 1991 the public name was again changed to the Jewish Federation of Greater Toronto and in 1999, to UJA Federation of Greater Toronto. By this date, over 30 beneficiary and affiliated agencies, 49 affiliated schools and five Federation departments were fully or partly funded by the UJA Federation.
In June, 2010, the organization altered its legal structure, with the senior legal entity becoming the UJA Federation of Greater Toronto.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of 25 series: Annual Meetings, Annual Reports, Board of Directors, Constitution Committee, Executive Committee, Officers Committee, Budget and Finance Committee, Administration Committee, Social Planning Committee, Committee on Capital Needs and Planning, Central Committee on Scholarships in Aid, Joint Committee of the BJE and UJWF Study on Jewish Education, Nominations Committee, Pension Fund Committee, Coordinating Committee, Special Ad Hoc and Temporary Committees, Annual Campaign, Client Agencies, Joint Committee of the CJC and the UJWF, Committee on Community Organization, Sub-Committee on Construction and Administration of Community Schools, Joint Committee on Fundraising, Personnel Committee, Community Leadership Development Council, and Israel at Fifty Community Celebration.
Over 4500 photographs and a variety of other media are managed within Series 17, Campaign records.
Notes
For exact details about the contents of individual series and sub-series, please review their scope and contents notes.
Name Access
United Jewish Welfare Fund
Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Toronto
United Jewish Appeal
Toronto Jewish Congress
Jewish Federation of Greater Toronto
UJA Federation of Greater Toronto
Subjects
Charities
Fund raising
Access Restriction
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Related Material
For records of the predecessor of the UJWF, see Fonds 66, the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Toronto fonds.
Further detailed documentation of the proposed merger between the UJWF and the CJC (creation of the TJC) may be found in Fonds 67, Sub-sub-series 5-5-1, Files 171 and 221.
Further documentation on the United Jewish Welfare Fund may be found within Fonds 9, Series 7, records of the Jewish Immigrant Aid Society.
For further detailed records of a key community leader's involvement with the UJWF see Accession 1982-8-8, the records of Samuel Godfrey, 1943-1972.
Creator
United Jewish Welfare Fund (1938-)
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 1706
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
1706
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1963
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 21 x 26 cm and 10 x 12 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a copy print and corresponding negative of the Israeli ambassador and his wife at an Israel Bond drive in North Bay, Ontario. The photograph depicts a group of six people, including the aforementioned, dressed in formal evening wear.
Name Access
Comay, Mrs.
Israel Bonds
Subjects
Diplomats--Israel
Fund raising
Places
North Bay (Ont.)
Accession Number
1979-2-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 2475
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
2475
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1916]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Scope and Content
Item is a copy print and negative of a 25 cent card distributed by the Toronto Conference for the Jewish War Victims during the First World War.
Notes
From the Seymour and Abi Shatz Collection.
Subjects
Fund raising
War victims
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Accession Number
1980-12-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 1783
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
1783
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[194-]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Scope and Content
This photograph is of a newspaper clipping, "Disbanded club gives $25," about a contribution made by the Hebrew Literary and Athletic Club to the Evening Telegram British War Victims Fund.
Name Access
Evening Telegram British War Victims Fund
Hebrew Literary and Athletic Club
Subjects
Clubs
Fund raising
War victims
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Accession Number
1979-9-42
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gilbert Studios fonds
Negev dinners series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 37; Series 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gilbert Studios fonds
Negev dinners series
Level
Series
Fonds
37
Series
1
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1956-1978
Physical Description
447 photographs : b&w and col. (392 negatives) ; 26 x 21 cm or smaller
Admin History/Bio
The Negev dinners were established in 1948, coinciding with the creation of the State of Israel, as an annual fundraising dinner. The Jewish National Fund hosted these annual dinners in honour of a leading Canadian citizen, and the proceeds from the dinners were used to establish JNF projects in Israel in the name of the honouree. The JNF projects have, and continue to do so today, raised money to purchase land in Israel's Negev desert and for re-forestation efforts.
The annual dinner was dedicated to a member of the Toronto Jewish community, who had demonstrated outstanding support and commitment to the Community and to the State of Israel. In honour of this individual's contributions, the secured land in Negev was named after them. The honourary guests were presented with awards of appreciation from members of the Canadian and International Jewish community, often including delegates from Israel. The dinners were attended by prominent members of Toronto's Jewish community, including politicians, business men, and philanthropists.
Each subsequent dinner became larger and more successful in its aim to raise funds for Israel, as a result this event soon became the most significant Jewish event in Toronto. As well, it was also the largest annual kosher meal served in Toronto.
The JNF produced an annual Negev Dinner yearbook, commemorating the event, and documenting both the lives of the honouree's family and the current activities of the JNF. As well, the names of individuals who donated money for the JNF projects were recorded in the Souvenir books under patrons and sponsors of the dinners.
Scope and Content
Series consists of negatives taken by Al Gilbert documenting eight Negev Dinners hosted by the Jewish National Fund. The images depict the various activities undertaken at these dinners including: the procession and introduction of the head table guests, the presentation of awards, speeches, toasts, presentation of flowers to the honouree or the wife of the honouree, and the entertainment. The majority of the negatives are portraits taken of the guests posing with the honouree and his or her family. One dinner in this series was dedicated to the Toronto Jewish Community (1956) on the year of its centenary, while the others are in honour of one significant member of the community.
There were Negev dinners held across Canada; however, the dinners in this series were all held in Toronto and were primarily attended by members of the Toronto Jewish community. The honourees documented in this series include: 1956, Toronto Jewish Community; 1966, Bert Godfrey; 1967, Nathan Silver; 1968, Phil Givens; 1970, Leon E. Weinstein; 1973, Rt. Hon. John G. Diefenbaker; 1974, Phil Granovsky; 1978, Eric and Esther Exton.
Notes
Selection for this series reflects the various activities of the Negev dinners, including: speeches, toasts, award presentations, dinner tables, introductions, honourees, entertainment and presentation of flowers. In addition, we selected a sample of images documenting the dinner tables and guests who were not part of the evening's programme, and therefore, would not be captured in the aforementioned criteria.
Name Access
Negev
Jewish National Fund
Godfrey, Bert
Silver, Nathan
Givens, Phil
Weinstein, Leon E.
Diefenbaker, Rt. Hon. John G.
Granovsky, Phil
Exton, Eric
Exton, Esther
Subjects
Awards
Dinners and dining
Fund raising
Arrangement
Series has been arranged into files representing each annual dinner.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Accession Number
1988-2-12
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1988-2-12
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1.8 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records pertaining to the operation of the Kashruth Department of the Toronto Jewish Congress. The department was situated within the Orthodox Division.
Use Conditions
Records in off-site storage; advance notice required to view.
Subjects
Religion
Food
Nonprofit organizations
Name Access
Toronto Jewish Congress
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2005-9-7
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2005-9-7
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
1939
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a notice in Yiddish from Rabbi Meir Levy announcing to the Jewish community that shochtim Yichiel Wagman and Soloway, Hymie Weisfeld, Lazar Salkovitch, and Moishe Gross are valid, certified kosher butchers. These shochtim, it states, are well known in Toronto, learned in Torah, and they have been certified under the strictest rules of kashrut.
Subjects
Religion
Food
Occupations
Name Access
Levy, Meir Zvi
Wagman, Yichiel
Weisfeld, Hymie
Salkovitch, Lazar
Gross, Moishe
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2007-5-4
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2007-5-4
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 item
Date
1985
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one Shopsy's Delicatessen menu from March 1985. The deli introduced a new menu on 1 April 1985. It is a laminated, oversized, three-panel menu and is from the deli located at Yonge and Front Streets, across from the former O'Keefe Centre.
Administrative History
Harry and Jennie Shopsowitz started the family business, Shopsy's Delicatessen, in 1921. The first location was on Spadina Avenue at Dundas Street and was initially an ice-cream parlour, although they quickly converted it into a delicatessen in 1922. Shopsy's became an institution in the city where the likes of Bob Hope, Al Waxman, Dennis Hull and Scotty Bowman were regular customers. Harry's three sons took over the business in 1947. The brothers, Sam and Israel, expanded the business by packaging and distributing their hotdogs and corned beef to grocery stores. Sam Shopsowitz, the more gregarious of the two brothers, was known as the "Corned Beef King".
Subjects
Food
Business
Restaurants
Name Access
Shopsy's Delicatessen (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2007-7-5
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2007-7-5
Material Format
textual record (electronic)
Physical Description
1 document (9 jpgs)
Date
1962
Scope and Content
This accession consists of one scanned copy of the Lakehead Hadassah cookbook from 1962.
Custodial History
The original records are in the possession of the donor. The OJA was granted permission to scan the records in July 2007, as part of the Ontario Small Jewish Communities initiative. These copies were then donated to the Archives on 2007-07-19.
Use Conditions
Copyright may not be held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Subjects
Communities
Food
Women
Name Access
Safir, Shari-Lyn
Hadassah-WIZO Organization of Canada
Places
Thunder Bay, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2007-11-5
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2007-11-5
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
3 cm of textual records
Date
1953, 1956-1957
Scope and Content
Accession consists of three cookbooks produced by the Toronto B'nai Brith Women. The first is entitled "Party Book", the second is "Oven Magic", and the third is "What's Cooking?".
Subjects
Food
Women
Name Access
Toronto B'nai B'rith Women
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2009-12-15
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2009-12-15
Material Format
textual record
moving images
graphic material (electronic)
sound recording
Physical Description
4 cm of textual records
3 videocassettes
10 optical discs (196 mins., 38 secs.)
1278 photographs (jpg)
Date
2000-2009
Scope and Content
Accession consists of programmes and invitations for Campaign events including Major Gifts, telethons, missions, the Ben Gurion Society, Women's Philanthropy and other divisions' events. There are also three videocassettes with videos for Campaign 2002 ("Israel is Calling"), Campaign 2000 ("The Campaign For Our Children"), and the Campaign 2000 Launch ("Wings of a Butterfly"). Also included in the accession are 10 DVDs, containing: campaign videos for the years 2003 to 2009; a video conference on Jewish morality held for lay leaders in 2003; an audio-only recording of remarks by Professor Alan Dershowitz in 2002; and a canvasser motivation video produced by Federation. There are additional CDs with photographs relating to Hineni, Vision, L.O.J.E., H.O.T. Toronto (Young Leadership Division), Ben Gurion Society, missions and United Israel Appeal Canada; finally, there are audio recordings of speakers from the 2008 2nd Annual UJA Federation Big Ideas Forum. For a detailed list, click here: file://s-oja01\data\Description\Campaign\Creative%20CDs.doc
Use Conditions
Copyright of campaign videos is owned by the production company and NOT by UJA Federation. Researchers must contact Len Pearl to obtain copyright clearance to reproduce these videos. Researchers must be able to specify the exact video and clip when requesting copyright permission.
Subjects
Charities
Fund raising
Source
Archival Accessions
Part Of
Ellis I. and Fanny Shapiro fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 94
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Ellis I. and Fanny Shapiro fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
94
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Date
1947-1995
Physical Description
3 cm of textual records
6 photographs : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm or smaller
Admin History/Bio
Ellis Irving Litch Shapiro (1905-2002) was born in Toronto to Annie and Joseph Shapiro. In 1934 he married Fanny Enushevsky (1910-1991) originally from Guelph, and had two children, Elaine (Glassman) and Barry. Ellis was very involved in the United Jewish Welfare Fund of Toronto fundraising campaigns, as United Jewish Appeal campaign co-chairman. He also held positions in several other organizations, particularly during the 1930s to the 1960s. He was chairman of the Beth Tzedec Board of Governors, first vice-president of YM-YWHA and chairman of the New Building Committee, president of the Jewish Camp Council of Toronto, president of B'nai Brith Toronto Lodge, president of Goel Tzedec Men's Club, and president of the first Combined Board of Goel Tzedec and Beth Hamidrash Hagadol Synagogue. He was on the executive of the Canadian Jewish Congress, was on the Budget Committee of United Jewish Appeal of Toronto, was treasurer of the Northwood Golf and Country Club and a member of the Primrose Club. He was also Noble Grand of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF) in Guelph, Ontario. Ellis' father and grandfather were founders of Goel Tzedec Synagogue on University Avenue in Toronto.
In 1930 Ellis founded, along with his partner Max B. Ennis, the Dominion Gasket and Manufacturing Company Ltd of which he was president. He was also president of Faul and Timmins Incorporated, Buffalo.
Fanny was similarly involved with community organizations and held various positions on the auxiliary boards of the Jewish Home for the Aged, Baycrest Hospital and the New Mount Sinai Hospital. She was also on the board of the Jewish Camp Council and the Mothers and Babes Summer Rest Home, on the executive of Hadassah, the National Council of Jewish Women, and B'nai Brith Women. She was co-president of the UJWF Women's Service Council and campaign co-chairman of the United Jewish Appeal Women's Division.
Custodial History
Records were donated by Elaine Glassman, the daughter of Ellis I. and Fanny Shapiro.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of textual and graphic material relating to Ellis I. and Fanny Shapiro and their involvement with the United Jewish Welfare Fund of Toronto fundraising campaigns. Included are congratualatory letters and cards, certificates, reports, meeting invites, agendas and minutes, UJWF correspondence and memoranda, a UJWF Women's Service Council constitution (1956), newpaper clippings and six photographs.
Name Access
Shapiro, Ellis I., 1905-2002
Shapiro, Fanny, 1910-1991
Subjects
Fund raising
Physical Condition
2 photographs have suffered water damage and are in poor condition.
Creator
Shapiro, Ellis I., 1905-2002
Shapiro, Fanny, 1910-1991
Accession Number
2005-8-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gilbert Studios fonds
Negev dinners series
Negev dinner honouring Phil Givens file
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 37; Series 1; File 4; Item 20
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gilbert Studios fonds
Negev dinners series
Negev dinner honouring Phil Givens file
Level
Item
Fonds
37
Series
1
File
4
Item
20
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1968
Physical Description
1 negative : b&w
Notes
Photograph by Al Gilbert.
Name Access
Shainhouse, Sam
Jewish National Fund
Subjects
Dinners and dining
Fund raising
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Annual Campaign series
Walk with Israel sub-series
Walk for Israel 1990 sub-sub-series
Walk and Festival event photographs file
Level
Item
Fonds
67
Series
17-1-16
File
26
Material Format
graphic material
Date
21 May 1990
Physical Description
1 negative : b&w
Scope and Content
Negative of UJA Walk for Israel volunteers grilling hot dogs
Notes
Title based on content of negative
Negative by Graphic Artists Photographers
Subjects
Food
Volunteers
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Name
Joseph Fremar
Material Format
sound recording
Interview Date
14 May 1974
Source
Oral Histories
Name
Joseph Fremar
Number
AC 021
Subject
Business
Food
Occupations
Interview Date
14 May 1974
Quantity
1
Interviewer
Bess Shockett
Total Running Time
021: 12:59 minutes
Conservation
Copied August 2003
Use Restrictions
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Biography
Joseph "Joe the Orangeman" Fremar was a produce merchant in Kensington Market and opened his location on Augusta Avenue in 1938. Freamar, commonly referred to as the "Orangeman" was a member of the Kiever Synagogue.
Material Format
sound recording
Name Access
Fremar, Joseph
Kiever Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Shockett, Bess
Geographic Access
Augusta Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Kensington Market (Toronto, Ont.)
Original Format
Audio cassette
Copy Format
Audio cassette
Digital file
Transcript
Started at location on 334 Augusta Street in 1938
Only one other merchant on Augusta at that time. He sold vegetables
His home was on Oxford Street
Since he arrived in 1938 most of the merchants have “changed around”
When he arrived in 1938 the Anshe Lida Synagogue was located on Augusta. It was located at the current fish store location
The congregants were originally from Romania
There were no religious Jewish Schools on Augusta at the time
Synagogues at the time were: Lubavitcher on Grange; Kiever on Denison; Minsker.
A man by the name of Biasky (?) brought Joseph into the Kiever Synagogue which he attended only on holidays. He also attend the Londoner Synagogue on Spadina
Joseph is still a Kiever member, does not attend but pays dues to in order to maintain his cemetery plot, which the Kiever holds at the Roselawn Cemetery.
Source
Oral Histories

In this clip, Joseph Fremar, also known as "Joe the Orange Man", talks about the social politics and financial expectations around belonging to certain Toronto synagogues versus others.

In this clip, Joseph Fremar, also known as "Joe the Orange Man", talks about the changing population of Toronto

Name
Morris Fishman
Material Format
sound recording
Interview Date
12 July 1977
Source
Oral Histories
Name
Morris Fishman
Number
AC 036
Subject
Antisemitism
Nonprofit organizations
Communities
Synagogues
Societies
Food
Occupations
Clubs
Interview Date
12 July 1977
Quantity
1
Interviewer
Richard Menkis
Total Running Time
Side 1 46 minutes Side 2 17 minutes
Conservation
Copied August 2003
Use Restrictions
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Biography
Morris Fishman was born September 29, 1916 in New Jersey. His family moved to Welland, Ontario when he was an infant. He attended elementary and high school in Welland and completed two years at the University of Toronto. He worked in a family men's wear business in Welland. Morris was actively involved in the Jewish community including participation in the Anshe Yosher Congregation, the Jewish Cultural Society and the Jacob Goldblatt B'nai Brith Lodge. He was married and had two daughters.
Material Format
sound recording
Name Access
Fishman, Morris
Geographic Access
Welland
Original Format
Audio cassette
Copy Format
Audio cassette
Digital file
Transcript
G:\Description\Oral Histories\AC 036 Fishman\AC 036 transcript.pdf
Source
Oral Histories

In this clip, Morris Fishman praises the efforts of the non-Jewish community in Welland, Ontario to support the building of a new synagogue following a fire that destroyed the old synagogue in 1954.

In this clip, Morris Fishman discusses the Jacob Goldblatt B’nai Brith Lodge in Welland, Ontario.

Name
Blanche Haber
Material Format
sound recording
Interview Date
December 18, 1987
Source
Oral Histories
Name
Blanche Haber
Number
AC 189
Subject
Families
Occupations
Immigrants--Canada
Food
Antisemitism
Interview Date
December 18, 1987
Quantity
1
Interviewer
Kaylee Gollom Miller
Total Running Time
Side 1 - 31 minutes Side 2 - 31 minutes
Conservation
Copied August 2003
Use Restrictions
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Biography
Blanche Haber (nee Heller) was born in a small town in Russia in 1893. She came to Toronto at age 8. Her father worked as a peddler. She married Isadore Haber in 1915. Three of her five children died from illnesses in their childhood. Before her marriage, Blanche worked as a seamstress. Isadore worked as a tailor, primarily for Eaton's. Like her mother, once married, Blanche took boarders into their home at 112 Parliament Street.
Material Format
sound recording
Geographic Access
Toronto
Halifax
Original Format
Audio cassette
Copy Format
Audio cassette
Digital file
Transcript
G:\Description\Oral Histories\AC 189 Haber\AC 189 notes.pdf
Source
Oral Histories

In this clip, Blanche Haber describes taking boarders into her mother’s and her own home at 112 Parliament Street.

In this clip, Blanche Haber fondly remembers the warm relationship that developed between her family and the Manischewitz family. She explains that Joe Manischewitz boarded at her family’s home while his family built a matzah factory in Toronto.

Part Of
Mimi Wise fonds
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 16; Item 7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Mimi Wise fonds
Level
Item
Fonds
16
Item
7
Material Format
graphic material (electronic)
Date
1959
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w (jpg)
Scope and Content
This item is an electronic copy photograph of Mimi Wise cooking cabbage rolls in her kitchen for the Hadassah Bazaar. The photograph was taken for the Toronto Telegram.
Subjects
Food
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Toronto Telegram. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Accession Number
2006-9-7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gordon Mendly fonds
Events and organizations series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 18; Series 3; File 17
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gordon Mendly fonds
Events and organizations series
Level
File
Fonds
18
Series
3
File
17
Material Format
graphic material
Date
Jan. 1959
Physical Description
4 negatives : b&w ; 10 x 13 cm
Scope and Content
File consists of images taken at a fundraising campaign for the Eitz Chaim Talmud Torah, held at 1 Viewmount Avenue in Toronto. The images depict speakers at the podium and a photograph of the invited guests seated at banquet tables. There is a sign present in the photographs which reads: $50,000 néeded to educate more than 1000 students enrolled in M'Ril Graubart Yeshiva and Eitz Chaim Schools.
Subjects
Dinners and dining
Fund raising
Speeches, addresses, etc
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Physical Condition
Segregated due to vinegar syndrome.
Places
Viewmount Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gordon Mendly fonds
Events and organizations series
Israel Histadrut of Toronto sub-series
Level
Sub-series
ID
Fonds 18; Series 3-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gordon Mendly fonds
Events and organizations series
Israel Histadrut of Toronto sub-series
Level
Sub-series
Fonds
18
Series
3-2
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
82 negatives : b&w ; 13 x 18 cm or smaller
Admin History/Bio
Israel Histadrut of Toronto was a fundraising organization, whose annual campaign raised money for the Israel Histadrut in Israel (the Federation of Labour in Israel). The Federation was founded in 1920 by Labour Zionist parties in Palestine. The campaign money was used to fund economic, trade union, military, social, and cultural activities in Israel, as well as to provide a comprehensive system of health insurance and hospital services to workers.
The Israel Histadrut campaign in Toronto had an autonomous executive board, however its activities were overseen by the Labour Zionist Movement, who also operated the Bialik Hebrew Day School, their educational arm; and the Labour Zionist Alliance or Farband, their mutual benefit society (formally known as the Jewish National Workers Alliance, Farband Labour Zionist Order).
Scope and Content
Sub-series consists of negatives documenting the events and activities of the Israel Histadrut campaigns. The images depict members at banquets and meetings, special events, and campaign fundraisers. The negatives have been arranged chronologically by event and are described at the file or item level.
Subjects
Fund raising
Labor Zionism
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
File
ID
Fonds 22; File 8
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
File
Fonds
22
File
8
Material Format
textual record
Date
1988
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Name Access
Kehillat Shaarei Torah of Toronto
Subjects
Fund raising
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Accession Number
2012-10-12
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-10-12
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
21 photographs : b&w (14 negatives) ; 21 x 26 cm or smaller
1 folder of textual records
Date
[196-], [197-]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of photographs of Kalmen Greenspans & sons butcher shop at 170 Brunswick Avenue at Harbord Street. The photographs depict Greenspan and other staff members inside the butcher shop as well as the exterior of the shop. There is also one earlier photograph of the exterior. The textual records include order forms and letterhead.
Subjects
Business
Food
Name Access
Greenspan, Harry
Greenspan, Kalmen
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-8-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-8-3
Material Format
text
Physical Description
1 book : 166 p.
Date
[198-?]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one cookbook published by the Sisterhood of the Shaar Hashomayim Synagogue and the Dorothy Rothschild Chapter of Hadassah (Sudbury).
Subjects
Food
Women
Name Access
Shaar Hashomayim Synagogue
Hadassah-Wizo
Places
Subury, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-12-63
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-12-63
Material Format
graphic material (electronic)
textual record
Physical Description
19 photographs : col. (jpgs) ; 72 MB
1 folder of textual records
Date
[2014?]-2016
Scope and Content
Accession consists of 19 digital photos of Shoresh activities including beekeeping, farming, the Kavanah Garden in Vaughan, Maxie's Garden in Kensington Market, a map of Bela Farm in Hillsburgh, and gardening at Baycrest. Also included is a copy of Shoresh 2016 Year in Review.
Administrative History
Shoresh is a grassroots Jewish environmental organization in Southern Ontario. They exist to nurture a regional Jewish community that sees environmental ethics as a core element of Jewish identity, and is actively committed to responsible stewardship of the earth. They do this through educational programs that link Jewish texts and teachings with experiences of awe and wonder of the natural world; leadership opportunities that invest in the next generation of Jewish environmental leaders; and responsive action including environmental advocacy and the production of sustainable products that enrich Jewish life. They operate out of Shoresh’s Kavanah Garden in Vaughan, Bela Farm in Hillsburgh, and through schools, synagogues, camps, and community organizations throughout the Greater Toronto Area.
Descriptive Notes
PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION NOTE: There is a PDF version of image #19 of Bela Farm
Subjects
Agriculture
Food
Name Access
Shoresh (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-11-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-11-3
Material Format
graphic material (electronic)
Physical Description
1 photograph : col. (jpg) ; 10.3 MB
Date
2013
Scope and Content
Accession consists of 1 digital photo of Ran Goel with produce. This is a publicity photo for Fresh City Farms.
Administrative History
Fresh City Farms is Canada’s largest commercial city farm located on six acres at Downsview Park in Toronto. Its mission is to create and perfect new ways to connect food makers and eaters. Founder Ran Goel lists “his grandmother’s stories about growing up on a Kibbutz, feeling democracy awaken in his childhood home of South Africa and his mom’s stuffed peppers” as inspiration.
Subjects
Agriculture
Farms
Food
Name Access
Fresh City Farms
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2017-11-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2017-11-3
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
30 cm of textual records
Date
1958-1976
Scope and Content
Accession consists of B'nai Brith Women Toronto cookbooks from 1958, 1960-1963, 1967-1972, and B'nai Brith Women's Council of Toronto yearbooks from 1973, 1975-1976. Each cookbook has a specific theme: Food for Fun; Dinner Dates; Chef's Choice; Gourmet Goodies; Around the World; Candlelight and Wine; Calories a la Carte; Gourmet's Gallery; Confessions of a Bala Busta; Dinner Magic; and People Helping People. The 1972 issue is both a yearbook and a cookbook. From 1973 on, the yearbooks, entitled Pledged to Serve, no longer contained any recipes and instead focused solely on the work of the B'nai Birth Women's Council of Toronto and its chapters.
Custodial History
There is no acquisition information for this accession. The accession number was assigned by the archivist.
Subjects
Food
Women in charitable work
Name Access
B'nai Brith Women's Council of Toronto
B'nai Brith Women (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2017-12-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2017-12-3
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
1988-1994
Scope and Content
Accession consists of materials documenting United Jewish Appeal fundraising campaigns. Included are: a spiral-bound booklet for the 1998 UJA Women's Campaign Board of Directors, a "Lion of Judah" card that would have accompanied a pin of the same name, a document outlining canvassing procedures for Lion of Judah and Atarah canvassers, training materials taken from the American UJA National Training Centre Manual, documents from the 1994 UJA Campaign, a 1993 Jewish Agency for Israel budget, and a photocopy of a chart outlining UJA/Jewish Federation of Greater Toronto's local and national allocations.
Custodial History
Alison Himel, the daughter of Malka Green, a well-known philanthropist in the Jewish community, donated the records, which had belonged to her mother, to Ontario Jewish Archives two years following Mrs. Green's passing.
Administrative History
The Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Toronto was incorporated in Ontario in March 1917 to coordinate the fundraising activities of Jewish charitable, philanthropic, and social service agencies in Toronto. In 1918, ten separate agencies were funded by the FJPT. By 1937, fourteen agencies were funded. The Great Depression of the 1930s and the development of several newer Jewish aid, education and medical care organizations created both increased need for resources and growing competition for ever-more scarce dollars. Within a very few years this funding crisis forced a major review of the organization. During 1936 a series of special meetings of leading individuals were held to examine the income and expenditures of all Toronto Jewish agencies and also to speculate about the need for a new Toronto Jewish "Community Chest" as the sole fund-raising organization for a federation of all Jewish agencies including the FJPT. In 1938, the new United Jewish Welfare Fund was formally constituted. Added to the FJPT's previous list of Toronto client agencies in 1938 were: the Canadian Jewish Congress, the Hebrew National Association, the Jewish Immigrant Aid Association, the Mizrachi Society, the Toronto Free Loan Association, the Geverkshaften, and Old Folks Home, and the United Palestine Appeal, raising the total number of agencies to 22. When the State of Israel was established in 1948, the UJWF's annual fundraising campaign was combined with the CJC's United Palestine appeal to form a new, combined campaign named the United Jewish Appeal (UJA). In 1967, the UJA name was legally changed to the United Jewish Appeal of Metropolitan Toronto. In mid-1976, the organization's public name was changed to the Toronto Jewish Congress. Although initially thought of as a merger between the UJWF and the CJC, the actual result was the expansion of the UJWF responsibilities to include local education and welfare services previously shared with the Canadian Jewish Congress, Central Region. The UJWF, however, remained the legal senior entity. In 1991 the public name was again changed to the Jewish Federation of Greater Toronto and in 1999, to UJA Federation of Greater Toronto. By this date, over 30 beneficiary and affiliated agencies, 49 affiliated schools and five Federation departments were fully or partly funded by the UJA Federation. In June, 2010, the organization altered its legal structure, with the senior legal entity becoming the UJA Federation of Greater Toronto.
Subjects
Charities
Fund raising
Name Access
UJA Federation of Greater Toronto
Places
Toronto, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
General community activities series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 11
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
General community activities series
Level
Series
Fonds
4
Series
11
Material Format
multiple media
Date
1950-2010
Physical Description
77 cm of textual records and other material
Admin History/Bio
In addition to his ongoing involvement with Clanton Park, the Canadian Jewish Congress Archives, the Aliyah Support Group, Jones Avenue Cemetery, Shomrai Shabbos and Adas Israel, Sol Edell undertook special projects on behalf of a wide array of Jewish organizations. These include cultural (Toronto Cantorial Scholarship Fund), educational (Netivot Hatorah and Yeshivat Or Chaim Ulpanat Orot), religious (Union of Jewish Orthodox Congregations), social welfare (Association of Jewish Seniors and Co-Ordinated Services to the Jewish Elderly) and Zionist (Canadian Friends of Yeshivat Hakotel and State of Israel Bonds) organizations.
Scope and Content
Series consists of records documenting Sol Edell's involvement with a wide variety of Jewish educational, social and religious organizations and institutions in Canada, the United States, and Israel. Included are meeting minutes, publications, reports, photographs, correspondence, invitations, programmes, financial records, an architectural drawing, and a sound recording. While many of these organizations such as Eitz Chaim, Or Chaim Ulpanat Orot (educational), Mizrachi Organization of Canada, Emunah Women (Zionist) and Beth Jacob V’Anshe Drildz (synagogue) are orthodox, others such as Associated Hebrew Day Schools (educational), State of Israel Bonds (Zionist) and Co-ordinated Services to the Jewish Elderly (social welfare) have no religious affiliation.
Notes
Physical description note: includes 26 photographs, 1 audio cassette, and 1 architectural drawing.
Name Access
Eitz Chaim
Or Chaim Ulpanat Orot
Mizrachi Men’s Organization
Emunah Women
Beth Jacob V'Anshei Drildz (Toronto, Ont.)
Associated Hebrew Day Schools
State of Israel Bonds
Co-ordinated Services to the Jewish Elderly
Camp Moshava
Harbord Collegiate
Netivot Hatorah
Union of Jewish Orthodox Congregations
B'Nei Akiva
Toronto Committee for Bikur Cholim Hospital
Subjects
Charities
Children
Education
Fund raising
Older people
Religion
Zionism
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Personal series
Community activities sub-series
Level
Sub-series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 1-3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Personal series
Community activities sub-series
Level
Sub-series
Fonds
4
Series
1-3
Material Format
textual record
object
Date
1968-1995
Physical Description
3 folders of textual records
1 plaque
Admin History/Bio
Sol Edell was involved in a variety of religious, educational and cultural organizations. Not only did he make financial donations to organizations, but he also became personally involved and organized specific projects. As well, representatives of foreign institutions would stay at his home when they came to Toronto on speaking engagements or fundraising missions.
Scope and Content
Sub-series consists of awards that relate to Sol Edell’s fundraising efforts on behalf of “Yeshiva Hatalmid” and for hosting speakers and fundraisers who were visiting Toronto. Also included is a day book listing community meetings as well as family events. As well, there is correspondence relating to an item loaned to the Baycrest Heritage Museum, and a plaque.
Name Access
Yeshiva Hatalmid
Baycrest Heritage Museum
Subjects
Education
Fund raising
Religion
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care fonds
Fundraising series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 14; Series 9
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care fonds
Fundraising series
Level
Series
Fonds
14
Series
9
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Date
1952-2001
Physical Description
7 cm of textual records
2 photographs
Scope and Content
Series consists of textual records and graphic material documenting the Baycrest Centre's fundraising activities. Included are meeting minutes, reports, booklets, newsletters, bulletins, brochures, a speech, correspondence, newspaper clippings, photographs, and lists. Of note is a grant application from 1952 for funding to build the Jewish Home for the Aged and Baycrest Hospital.
Subjects
Fund raising
Related Material
See Fonds 67, series 5-3 for records documenting the relationship between the Jewish Home for the Aged and the United Jewish Welfare Fund with respect to fundraising in the 1950s.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4996
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4996
Material Format
graphic material
Date
14 August 1961
Physical Description
1 photographs : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm
Scope and Content
Photograph is an exterior view of Shopsowitz Delicatessen's 40th Anniversary. The photographs depicts a line-up of customers outside the entrance. Shopsy's is advertising 1920s prices.
Notes
Graphic Artists.
Name Access
Shopsowitz, Sam
Shopsy's Delicatessen
Subjects
Anniversaries
Food
Restaurants
Small business
Places
Kensington Market (Toronto, Ont.)
Spadina Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
1990-1-5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 1780
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
1780
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1914
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Name Access
Duke St. School
Subjects
Children
Education
Food
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1979-9-42
Source
Archival Descriptions
32 records – page 1 of 1.

Narrow By

Collection Name

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Place

Language

Restrictions

Available Digital Content