26 photographs : b&w and col ; 13 x 18 cm or smaller
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a souvenir program of the opening of Chabad Lubavitch of Markham (1997), programs for a Bais Yaakov High School Play (1997), a Canadian Holocaust Remembrance Association Yom Hashoah event (1997), and a flyer for a lecture at the Mizrachi Bayit (1997). As well there is an invitation to the First Annual Dinner and Auction of the Carrie and Adam Dream Fund (1997), a Firefly Books catalogue (1997) and a letter and photos regarding the opening of the caylefilm office.
The photographs document a variety of community events and oganizations including Camp Ramah in Canada, Community Hebrew Academy of Toronto (CHAT), Leo Baeck Day School, Temple Har Zion, Netivot Hatorah, Mizrachi, Israel Bonds, and Chabad Lubavitch.
001: Leo Baeck Day School in Thornhill celebrated Children’s Book Week this year with a week of visits by authors, book donations to Plaut Manor, and a Dress-up Day. Among the visitors were illustrator Heather Collins, and authors Sheryl McFarlane and Bernice Thurman Hunter. Enjoying Dress-up Day are [front row] Alana Bobet and [second row from left] Jamie Bregman, Matthew Sherman, Jamie Weksberg, Lisa Mark, Adina Mann, Mindy Perlmutter and Robbie Faibish. Photo by Barry Shainbaum.
009: Gertner family reception, [ca. 2000]. Back Row (L to R): Marlene (née Gertner) Brickman, Eric Gertner, Michael Brickman, Michael Brown, Director of York’s Centre for Jewish Studies, Henry Gertner, Berek Gertner, Elinor Gerner, Reginal Gertner and Cheryle Gertner. Front Row (L to R): Visual arts student Samara Enchin, history and education major Adam Segal, visual arts student Carolyne Novak and political science and Judaic studies major Jonathan Lasky.
These records were donated by Leila Speisman, a former employee of the Canadian Jewish News. The CJN would regulalry receive materials from institutions and organizations when writing about their events.
4 photographs : b&w and col. ; 25 x 21 cm or smaller
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a colour photograph of Hanna Schusheim, Emunah Toronto Council co-president (centre) with bazaar co-chairman Agnes Deutsch (left) and Malka Deutsch; a photograph of the entrance to Pardes Shalom cemetery with (L-R) Rabbi Sheldon Steinberg, Jewish community chaplain; Sidney Freedman, founding president of Toronto Hebrew Memorial Park; Bill Draimin, current president; and Lorna Jackson, mayor of the city of Vaughan; a photograph of Rabbi Yitzchak Witty (right) and Mr and Mrs. Yitz Feldman; and a photograph of Anna Cohen and family.
Thes pohtographs came to the OJA from the Canadian Jewish News through Leila Speismanm, a former journalist with the paper.
14 photographs : b&w and col. ; 20 x 26 cm or smaller
Scope and Content
Accession consists of photographs from the Canadian Jewish News documenting the activities of a number of organizations including United Synagogue Day School, Associated Hebrew Schools, Maccabi World Union, Lubavitch Women's Organization, Jewish Community Centre (JCC), Yeshiva University, and Bar Ilan University.
There are handwritten and taped pieces of paper on the backs of the photographs with descriptive and identifying information.
This accession includes a Standard Theatre poster for the play "Sheindele from Slabodke", staring Mischa and Lucy German (1928). This production was also known as "Papirosn-makherin (Cigarette Maker)," and "Reizele from Slabodke," and was staged in 1927 in the Hopkinson Theatre, then in Philadelphia with Clara Young, Lucy German and Vera Rosanka. (Source: http://www.museumoffamilyhistory.com/yt/lex/R/rosenberg-israel-II.htm) Also included are pages from a scrapbook with Jewish Standard editorial writings from the 1930s by Hye Bossin. Topics include life on Spadina Avenue and in Kensinton Market, Yiddish entertainers, Emma Goldman's visit to Toronto, Caplan's Cafe, athletes and the Toronto islands. As well, there is a metal plate for F.B. Harris, circa 1944, with an inscription on it in memory of Sgt. F.B. Harris who "died in his country's service 6 June, 1944".
Accession consists of several copies of the Canadian Jewish Review, the Chronicle Review and the Canadian Jewish Chronicle Review. Also included is an Ottawa Jewish bulletin and several books.
Records were in the possession of Stanley Shankman.
Stanley Shankman was the former owner of the Canadian Jewish Chronicle Review. He purchased the Canadian Jewish Chronicle (est. 1914, successor to the Jewish Times, est 1897) in Montreal in 1962 when it was experiencing financial difficulties. Max Melamet was his first editor. He later purchased the Canadian Jewish Review (est. 1921) and combined the two publications into one: the Candian Jewish Chronicle Review (ca. 1967), which published editions in both Montreal and Toronto. Carol Frilegh was the paper's first edtor.
When Ray Wolfe, Donald Carr and Charles Bronfman purchased the Candian Jewish News from M. J. Nurenberger, Shankman sold them the Candian Jewish Chronicle Review to incorporate into one community paper serving the two cities.
Accession consists of bound Canadian Jewish News newspapers from 1996 to 2012; bound copies of the Canadian Jewish Review from 1949 and the Canadian Jewish News' photograph collection. The photographs are arranged alphabetcially by subject, with the exception of two blocks of photographs related to "rabbis" and "places".
The records were in the custody of the Canadian Jewish News.
Copyright may not be held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Accession consists of the records created or accumulated by Suzann (Cohen) Hutner related to the operations of the Canadian Jewish Review. Included are circulation reports, financial records, correspondence related to advertisers and the sale of the publication, issue summaries prepared by Suzann and a history of the paper written by Suzann. There also a few issues of the CJR from the 1930s.
The records were in the custody of Harold Hutner, the stepson of Suzann Hutner.
The Canadian Jewish Review was established in 1921 by George and Florence Cohen. The couple had founded the short-lived Buffalo Jewish Review prior to them immigrating to Canada. The CJR was not bound by any particular religion or organization. Their offices were located in teh Hermant Building at Dundas Square. The paper was sold to the Canadian Jewish Chronicle in 1966.
Accession consists of 9 monthly periodicals of The Canadian Zionist dating from December 1967 to September/October 1981. Published by Canadian Zionist Federation, national office, 1310 Greene Ave., Montreal, Quebec.
File consists correspondence and newspaper clippings documenting the Toronto Telegram's coverage of various topics concerning the Jewish community, such as Soviet antisemitism, hate literature, and Israel.