Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
11 records – page 1 of 1.
Level
Item
ID
Item 454
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
454
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1928
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 13 cm
Scope and Content
Item is a photograph of Ida Strauss (left) and Anna Kernerman beside a car on Lakeshore Boulevard, Toronto.
Notes
Inscription on front: "Snappy car, eh what? Lakeshore Blvd. April/28".
Name Access
Kernerman, Anna
Strauss, Ida
Subjects
Automobiles
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Lake Shore Boulevard (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
Acquired April 7, 1975.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4177
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4177
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1923
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Name Access
Haber, Isadore
Subjects
Automobiles
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Parliament Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
1986-12-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 3270
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
3270
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1921
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Notes
Photo by European Studios, 315A Queen St. W., Toronto.
Name Access
Yashinsky, Hinda
Subjects
Automobiles
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Accession Number
1982-6-5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Harold S. Kaplan fonds
Architectural projects series
Loew's Theatre (189 Yonge St., Toronto) sub-series
Level
Sub-series
ID
Fonds 27; Series 1-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Harold S. Kaplan fonds
Architectural projects series
Loew's Theatre (189 Yonge St., Toronto) sub-series
Level
Sub-series
Fonds
27
Series
1-1
Material Format
architectural drawing
textual record
Date
1913-1959
Physical Description
57 drawings : pencil on tracing paper, blueprints and other reproductions ; 72 x 114 cm or smaller
1 cm of textual records
Admin History/Bio
Built in 1913, Loew's Yonge Street Theatre and Winter Garden Theatre complex was the flagship of Marcus Loew's Canadian theatre chain. The theatres were designed by Thomas Lamb as a "double-decker" theatre, with the Winter Garden located seven-stories above the street-level Yonge Street Theatre. This was the only double-decker theatre built in Canada and one of less than a dozen built internationally. The design was considered economical in that it provided a greater amount of seating on a given piece of real estate while allowing the theatre operator to present the same daily show in two theatres. The shows included both vaudeville acts and silent movies.
In 1928, there was a major fire on the site and the Winter Garden Theatre was closed due to the decline in popularity of vaudeville. By 1930, the Yonge Street Theatre was solely a movie theatre, equipped for sound movies. Over the years it gradually fell into disrepair, but continued as a movie theatre until 1981. It was renamed the Elgin Theatre in 1978.
In 1981, the Elgin and Winter Garden were purchased by the Ontario Heritage Foundation, and in 1987 the foundation began a two and half year, $30 million restoration of the theatres. The theatres re-opened in Dec. 1989 exclusively for theatrical productions.
Scope and Content
Sub-series consists of seating plans, blueprints of structural details, and floor plans, sections and elevations for successive alterations (to the entrance, lobby, basement, etc.) of the theatre. The sub-series includes a copy of a city building permit dating from 1934 for renovations carried out by Loew's Theatres Engineering Division. Some of the blueprints date from the original construction of the theatre in 1913.
The sub-series is organized into 9 sub-sub-series, corresponding to project dates of 1913, 1919, 1934, 1939, 1949 (two projects), 1952, 1957 and 1959. The earliest materials, such as those from 1913 and 1919, were not created by Kaplan & Sprachman, but were no doubt used as reference materials for their work at the theatre.
Please note that the blueprints of structural details such as columns and roof reinforcing beams may apply to the theatre complex as a whole, including the Winter Garden Theatre.
Notes
Title is derived from the formal titles of the drawings.
Name Access
Lamb, Thomas
Elgin Theatre (Toronto)
Winter Garden Theatre (Toronto)
Subjects
Theaters
Physical Condition
Some drawings are torn & damaged.
Some are discoloured or damaged by deteriorating pressure-sensitive tape.
Places
Yonge Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
2003-6-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Harold S. Kaplan fonds
Architectural projects series
Loew's Uptown Theatre (Toronto) sub-series
Level
Sub-series
ID
Fonds 27; Series 1-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Harold S. Kaplan fonds
Architectural projects series
Loew's Uptown Theatre (Toronto) sub-series
Level
Sub-series
Fonds
27
Series
1-2
Material Format
architectural drawing
graphic material
Date
1919-1968
Physical Description
132 architectural drawings : pencil (some on tracing paper, some hand col. using pencil crayon), blueprints and other reproductions ; 76 x 106 cm or smaller
5 photographs : b&w ; 44 x 55 cm or smaller
Admin History/Bio
One of sixteen theatres in Canada designed by the well-known architect Thomas W. Lamb, the Uptown Theatre opened in 1920 as a movie and vaudeville theatre of almost 3000 seats, and was later the first theatre in Toronto equipped for sound movies. In 1960 the Uptown's main auditorium was destroyed by a major fire. Kaplan & Sprachman participated in the theatre's subsequent renovation.
In 1969 the Uptown was split into a five screen theatre through conversion of the theatre's balcony, backstage and basement areas. The Uptown was closed and demolished in late 2003 following the 28th Annual Toronto International Film Festival after the cinema operator, Famous Players, decided to close it and other theatres rather than comply with an Ontario Human Rights Commission order to make the theatres fully wheelchair-accessible.
Scope and Content
Sub-series consists of seating plans, blueprints of structural details, floor plans, sections and elevations for successive alterations (to the entrance, lobby, escalator, etc.) of the theatre, as well as several photographs of the Uptown's entrance and auditorium. The sub-series includes a number of hand-coloured drawings of the main auditorium dating from 1962, with paint and fabric samples attached, apparently associated with the re-building of the auditorium following the fire of 1960. The sub-series also includes a set of photo-reproductions of Thomas Lamb's original 1919 plans for the theatre, acquired by Kaplan & Sprachman in 1960.
The sub-series is arranged in 9 sub-sub-series corresponding to project dates of 1919, 1936, 1945, 1949, 1960, 1962, and 1968. The final sub-sub-series relates to work done by Kaplan after the dissolution of Kaplan & Sprachman.
In several cases, a sub-sub-series includes drawings and plans from earlier projects, used as reference materials for the current project.
Name Access
Lamb, Thos. W. (Thomas White), 1871-1942
Uptown Theatre (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Theaters
Physical Condition
Some drawings torn or water-damaged. Some are discoloured or damaged by deteriorating pressure-sensitive tape.
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Accession Number
2003-6-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 2312
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
2312
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1922
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 18 x 13 cm and 12 x 10 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a copy print of Dr. David Siegel seated in the front passenger seat of a car.
Name Access
Siegel, Dr. David
Subjects
Automobiles
Dentists
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Cochrane (Ont.)
Accession Number
1980-3-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Ethel Mehr fonds
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 68; Item 46
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Ethel Mehr fonds
Level
Item
Fonds
68
Item
46
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1923]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 11 x 7 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a photograph of Ethel Mehr (left) and Sylvia Brenner (right) seated in a car. Two other friends are seated in the back seats.
Name Access
Brenner, Sylvia
Mehr, Ethel
Subjects
Automobiles
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Accession Number
1988-12-3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[192-]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 13 x 18 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a copy print of Hyman Rosen, Annie Rosen Lily Finkelstein and Jenny Cohen of Kingston, Ontario. Hyman is holding a fiddle and Jenny is holding a mandolin. All four are pictured in front of a car.
Name Access
Cohen, Jenny
Finkelstein, Lily
Rosen, Annie
Rosen, Hyman
Subjects
Automobiles
Musicians
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Kingston (Ont.)
Accession Number
1986-3-5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 938
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
938
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1926
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 13 x 18 cm and 10 x 12 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a copy print and corresponding negative of a group of men and women standing along side a car on Golden Avenue in South Porcupine, Ontario. Pictured from left to right are: Rose Varner (m. Malin), Morris Bucovetsky, Anita Levinson, Rose Bucovetsky, Lily Slotnick (m. Kaplan), Sonia Bucovetsky, Fanny Sky and Min Levinson Gram.
Name Access
Malin, Rose
Bucovetsky, Morris
Levinson, Anita
Bucovetsky, Rose
Kaplan, Lily
Bucovetsky, Sonia
Sky, Fanny
Levinson Gram, Min
Subjects
Automobiles
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
South Porcupine (Timmins, Ont.)
Accession Number
1976-8-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 939
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
939
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[192-]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 18 x 13 cm and 12 x 10 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a copy print and corresponding negative of Tommy Feldman (centre) and Max Levine (right) leaning up against a car in Timmins, Ontario.
Name Access
Feldman, Tommy
Levine, Max
Subjects
Automobiles
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Timmins (Ont.)
Accession Number
1976-8-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Address
42 St George Street
Source
Landmarks

In 1919, Mr. Mendel Granatstein commissioned Benjamin Brown and Robert McConnell to design a three storey Classical Georgian style house located at 42 St. George Street. The house contained a unique feature -- a retractable roof used on Sukkoth. In 1947, the house was acquired by the University of Toronto and was used for a variety of purposes until it was demolished in 1999. The Bahen Centre for Information Technology now stands in its place.
Address
42 St George Street
Time Period
1919-1999
Scope Note
In 1919, Mr. Mendel Granatstein commissioned Benjamin Brown and Robert McConnell to design a three storey Classical Georgian style house located at 42 St. George Street. The house contained a unique feature -- a retractable roof used on Sukkoth. In 1947, the house was acquired by the University of Toronto and was used for a variety of purposes until it was demolished in 1999. The Bahen Centre for Information Technology now stands in its place.
History
Mr. Mendel Granatstein was a member of one of the early Jewish families of Toronto. In 1895, he founded M. Granatstein and Sons, Ltd., a junk dealing company, and by the early 20th century, he had become one of the most prosperous Jews in Toronto. Mr. Granatstein was also a community leader, having a hand in the foundation of Beth Jacob Synagogue.
Category
Architecture
Residences
Source
Landmarks
11 records – page 1 of 1.

Narrow By

Collection Name

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Place

Restrictions

Available Digital Content