Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
8 records – page 1 of 1.
Level
Item
ID
Item 1498
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
1498
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[192-?]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Scope and Content
Item is a photograh of an unidentified man standing in front of B. Feldman's Clothing.
Name Access
B. Feldman's Clothing
Subjects
Clothing trade
Storefronts
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Queen Street West (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
1977-8-28
Source
Archival Descriptions
Accession Number
2018-1-4
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2018-1-4
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
22 cm of textual records
Date
[ca. 1928]-[200-?]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records relating to labour and the garment industry in Toronto, Montreal, and Hamilton. Included are research leads as well as copies of relevant records held at various repositories in Canada and the United States including Library and Archives Canada, Archives of Ontario, Queen's University and the International Ladies Garment Workers Union (ILGWU) and the Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America (ACWA) archives held at Cornell University. Also included are newsclippings, journal articles and correspondence from Tulchinsky to various individuals associated with the clothing trade asking for interviews or information for his research on the garment industry in Canada. Finally, there are copies of a few PhD dissertations on the subject.
Administrative History
Dr. Gerald Tulchinsky was Professor Emeritus at Queen's University, Department of History, and author of several books on the history of Canadian Jewry and labour issues in Canada. His books include: Shtetl on the Grand (2015); Joe Salsberg: A Life of Commitment (2013); Canada's Jews: A People's Journey (2008); Branching Out: The Transformation of the Canadian Jewish Community (1998); Taking Root: The Origins of the Canadian Jewish Community (1992); and The River Barons: Montreal Businessmen and the Growth of Industry and Transportation, 1837-53 (1977).
Tulchinsky was born in Brantford, Ontario in 1933 to Harry and Anne Tulchinsky. He resided in Kingston, Ontario until his death on 13 Dec. 2017.
Use Conditions
Closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing the records.
Subjects
Labor unions
Clothing trade
Name Access
Tulchinsky, Gerald, 1933-2017
Places
Hamilton (Ont.)
Toronto (Ont.)
Montréal (Québec)
Source
Archival Accessions
Level
Item
ID
Item 1890
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
1890
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[192-]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 7 x 9 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a copy print of Max Noble standing in front of Noble's Clothing Store on 150 Market Street in Brantford, Ontario.
Name Access
Noble, Max
Subjects
Clothing trade
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Brantford (Ont.)
Accession Number
1980-1-14
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Men's Clothing Manufacturers' Association of Ontario fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 31
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Men's Clothing Manufacturers' Association of Ontario fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
31
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
sound recording
Date
1919-1988
Physical Description
3.15 m of textual records
459 photographs
1 audiocasette
Admin History/Bio
The Men's Clothing Manufacturers' Association of Ontario (MCMAO) was formed and incorporated in 1919 under the name of the Associated Clothing Manufacturers. The Association's primary mandate was the representation of its membership in negotiations with the Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America and later, the Toronto Joint Board of the Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union. The MCMAO membership was comprised of the manufacturing firms of men's clothing in Toronto and Hamilton and inlcuded companies such as Tip Top Tailors, Empire Clothing and Shiffer-Hillman among others. The Association was also involved in furthering the interests of the clothing industry in Ontario and with all matters pertaining to the clothing business in which the Association's membership was interested. The MCMAO was a represented member of the Apparel Manufacturers' Associatoin of Ontario and the Apparel Manufacturers' Council of Canada. The MCMAO ceased operation around 1989.
Custodial History
There is no information on the acquisition of these records. They came into the Archives in the early 1990s but the original source from the Association is unknown. The records were stored at the OJA's offsite storage location until 2008, when they were transferred to the OJA vault for processing.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records documenting the Association’s role in negotiations with the employee’s union on behalf of their membership, as well as their work in lobbying senior levels of government on such matters as labour relations, tariffs and taxes, and other issues related to the production of men’s and boys’ garments. The records include legal documents; executive and committee meeting minutes; financial records; arbitration, mediation and negotiation reports and correspondence; collective agreements; labour statistics; general correspondence files; parliamentary briefs, submissions and reports; and seminar photographs. There are also files related to specific bodies that the Association collaborated or corresponded with, such as the Toronto Club of Clothing Designers. Of particular interest are the files of the Overseas Garment Workers Commission, which documents the Associations' role in helping bring over Jewish refugees and other Displaced Persons as tailors and garment workers.
The fonds has been divided into twelve series: Legal; Board of Directors meeting minutes and agendas; Executive Committee / Executive Board meeting minutes and agendas; Annual and general meeting minutes and agendas; Negotiations Committee; Finance Committee; Public Relations Committee; Labour Relations Committee; Other committee meeting minutes and agendas; General correspondence; Parliamentary briefs, submissions, reports and correspondence; and Seminars.
Name Access
Men's Clothing Manufacturers' Association of Ontario
Subjects
Clothing trade
Access Restriction
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Related Material
Queen’s University Archives holds records of the MCMAO dating from 1920 to 1969. These records appear to have originated from the same source and at one point the collection had been split in two. The fonds at Queen’s is complementary to the OJA’s fonds and together, the two fonds provide a complete picture of the MCMAO and its work.
Library and Archives Canada holds the records of the Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America fonds.
Creator
Men's Clothing Manufacturer's Association of Ontario (1919-1989)
Accession Number
2008-12-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Samuel Posluns fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 70
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Samuel Posluns fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
70
Material Format
cartographic material
graphic material
textual record
Date
1925-1984
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
91 photographs : b&w ; 25 x 20 cm or smaller
1 map : 46 x 65 cm
Admin History/Bio
Samuel Posluns (1910-1994) was born in Toronto to Abraham Isaac Poslaniec (1870-1922) and Sheindel Saltzman (1872-1960). He had three brothers and three sisters: Joseph, Louis, Abe, Gertrude Miriam, Anne, and Sarah. His father Abraham established the family run clothing firm Superior Cloak Company in 1916. In 1934, it was bankrupted and closed after a lengthy strike. In 1936, Samuel opened his own business, Popular Cloak Company. In 1967, the Posluns family purchased Tip Top Tailors, in partnership with entrepreneur Jimmy Kay. A year later they incorporated their new venture under the name of Dylex as a holding company for the Tip Top chain of stores.
During the Second World War, Samuel Posluns served as a member of the Air Force reserves. After the war, he was elected president of the United Jewish Welfare Fund in 1947. That same year, in collaboration with the Canadian Jewish Congress and the Jewish Labour Committee, Posluns helped lead the Tailor Project along with Max E. Enkin, which was aimed at helping Jewish displaced persons immigrate to Canada by securing them employment as tailors. A commited advocate for Jewish Education, Posluns also served as the first president and founding chair of the Board of Jewish Education (BJE) in 1949. He remained Honorary President for life and continued to attend meetings until health problems held back his participation in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Posluns was also a founding board member of the North York General Hospital.
Samuel Posluns died in Toronto in 1994.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records related to the Posluns family and their clothing business, Popular Cloak Company. The records include correspondence, financial records, periodicals and newsletters, photographs, certificates and personal identification. The fonds also includes textual documents and photos documenting Samuel Posluns' involvement in the Tailor Project.
Name Access
Enkin, Max E.
Popular Cloak Company
Superior Cloak Company
Canadian Jewish Congress
Jewish Labour Committee
Posluns, Samuel, 1910-1994
Subjects
Clothing trade
Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945)
Immigrants--Canada
Access Restriction
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Creator
Posluns, Samuel, 1910-1994
Accession Number
1997-7/6
2004-5/79
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Harold S. Kaplan fonds
Architectural projects series
Loew's Theatre (189 Yonge St., Toronto) sub-series
Level
Sub-series
ID
Fonds 27; Series 1-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Harold S. Kaplan fonds
Architectural projects series
Loew's Theatre (189 Yonge St., Toronto) sub-series
Level
Sub-series
Fonds
27
Series
1-1
Material Format
architectural drawing
textual record
Date
1913-1959
Physical Description
57 drawings : pencil on tracing paper, blueprints and other reproductions ; 72 x 114 cm or smaller
1 cm of textual records
Admin History/Bio
Built in 1913, Loew's Yonge Street Theatre and Winter Garden Theatre complex was the flagship of Marcus Loew's Canadian theatre chain. The theatres were designed by Thomas Lamb as a "double-decker" theatre, with the Winter Garden located seven-stories above the street-level Yonge Street Theatre. This was the only double-decker theatre built in Canada and one of less than a dozen built internationally. The design was considered economical in that it provided a greater amount of seating on a given piece of real estate while allowing the theatre operator to present the same daily show in two theatres. The shows included both vaudeville acts and silent movies.
In 1928, there was a major fire on the site and the Winter Garden Theatre was closed due to the decline in popularity of vaudeville. By 1930, the Yonge Street Theatre was solely a movie theatre, equipped for sound movies. Over the years it gradually fell into disrepair, but continued as a movie theatre until 1981. It was renamed the Elgin Theatre in 1978.
In 1981, the Elgin and Winter Garden were purchased by the Ontario Heritage Foundation, and in 1987 the foundation began a two and half year, $30 million restoration of the theatres. The theatres re-opened in Dec. 1989 exclusively for theatrical productions.
Scope and Content
Sub-series consists of seating plans, blueprints of structural details, and floor plans, sections and elevations for successive alterations (to the entrance, lobby, basement, etc.) of the theatre. The sub-series includes a copy of a city building permit dating from 1934 for renovations carried out by Loew's Theatres Engineering Division. Some of the blueprints date from the original construction of the theatre in 1913.
The sub-series is organized into 9 sub-sub-series, corresponding to project dates of 1913, 1919, 1934, 1939, 1949 (two projects), 1952, 1957 and 1959. The earliest materials, such as those from 1913 and 1919, were not created by Kaplan & Sprachman, but were no doubt used as reference materials for their work at the theatre.
Please note that the blueprints of structural details such as columns and roof reinforcing beams may apply to the theatre complex as a whole, including the Winter Garden Theatre.
Notes
Title is derived from the formal titles of the drawings.
Name Access
Lamb, Thomas
Elgin Theatre (Toronto)
Winter Garden Theatre (Toronto)
Subjects
Theaters
Physical Condition
Some drawings are torn & damaged.
Some are discoloured or damaged by deteriorating pressure-sensitive tape.
Places
Yonge Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
2003-6-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Harold S. Kaplan fonds
Architectural projects series
Loew's Uptown Theatre (Toronto) sub-series
Level
Sub-series
ID
Fonds 27; Series 1-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Harold S. Kaplan fonds
Architectural projects series
Loew's Uptown Theatre (Toronto) sub-series
Level
Sub-series
Fonds
27
Series
1-2
Material Format
architectural drawing
graphic material
Date
1919-1968
Physical Description
132 architectural drawings : pencil (some on tracing paper, some hand col. using pencil crayon), blueprints and other reproductions ; 76 x 106 cm or smaller
5 photographs : b&w ; 44 x 55 cm or smaller
Admin History/Bio
One of sixteen theatres in Canada designed by the well-known architect Thomas W. Lamb, the Uptown Theatre opened in 1920 as a movie and vaudeville theatre of almost 3000 seats, and was later the first theatre in Toronto equipped for sound movies. In 1960 the Uptown's main auditorium was destroyed by a major fire. Kaplan & Sprachman participated in the theatre's subsequent renovation.
In 1969 the Uptown was split into a five screen theatre through conversion of the theatre's balcony, backstage and basement areas. The Uptown was closed and demolished in late 2003 following the 28th Annual Toronto International Film Festival after the cinema operator, Famous Players, decided to close it and other theatres rather than comply with an Ontario Human Rights Commission order to make the theatres fully wheelchair-accessible.
Scope and Content
Sub-series consists of seating plans, blueprints of structural details, floor plans, sections and elevations for successive alterations (to the entrance, lobby, escalator, etc.) of the theatre, as well as several photographs of the Uptown's entrance and auditorium. The sub-series includes a number of hand-coloured drawings of the main auditorium dating from 1962, with paint and fabric samples attached, apparently associated with the re-building of the auditorium following the fire of 1960. The sub-series also includes a set of photo-reproductions of Thomas Lamb's original 1919 plans for the theatre, acquired by Kaplan & Sprachman in 1960.
The sub-series is arranged in 9 sub-sub-series corresponding to project dates of 1919, 1936, 1945, 1949, 1960, 1962, and 1968. The final sub-sub-series relates to work done by Kaplan after the dissolution of Kaplan & Sprachman.
In several cases, a sub-sub-series includes drawings and plans from earlier projects, used as reference materials for the current project.
Name Access
Lamb, Thos. W. (Thomas White), 1871-1942
Uptown Theatre (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Theaters
Physical Condition
Some drawings torn or water-damaged. Some are discoloured or damaged by deteriorating pressure-sensitive tape.
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Accession Number
2003-6-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Address
42 St George Street
Source
Landmarks

In 1919, Mr. Mendel Granatstein commissioned Benjamin Brown and Robert McConnell to design a three storey Classical Georgian style house located at 42 St. George Street. The house contained a unique feature -- a retractable roof used on Sukkoth. In 1947, the house was acquired by the University of Toronto and was used for a variety of purposes until it was demolished in 1999. The Bahen Centre for Information Technology now stands in its place.
Address
42 St George Street
Time Period
1919-1999
Scope Note
In 1919, Mr. Mendel Granatstein commissioned Benjamin Brown and Robert McConnell to design a three storey Classical Georgian style house located at 42 St. George Street. The house contained a unique feature -- a retractable roof used on Sukkoth. In 1947, the house was acquired by the University of Toronto and was used for a variety of purposes until it was demolished in 1999. The Bahen Centre for Information Technology now stands in its place.
History
Mr. Mendel Granatstein was a member of one of the early Jewish families of Toronto. In 1895, he founded M. Granatstein and Sons, Ltd., a junk dealing company, and by the early 20th century, he had become one of the most prosperous Jews in Toronto. Mr. Granatstein was also a community leader, having a hand in the foundation of Beth Jacob Synagogue.
Category
Architecture
Residences
Source
Landmarks
8 records – page 1 of 1.

Narrow By

Collection Name

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Place

Restrictions

Available Digital Content