Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
103 records – page 1 of 3.
Level
Item
ID
Item 3760
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
3760
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1916-1917]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm
Scope and Content
Two copy photographs of a Folk Shule, probably on Beverley Street, Toronto. Sadie Sorosky (Roebuck) is in the front row, second from right.
Notes
See also: photos #3757, #3758, and #3759.
Name Access
Sorosky, Sadie
Subjects
Children
Education
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1985-5-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4285
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4285
Material Format
graphic material
Date
5 Dec. 1921
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Notes
Photo by Modern Studio, 452 Queen St. W.
Subjects
Education
Children
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1985-3-6
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 3961
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
3961
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1936
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Notes
Photo by Simon.
For identification see accession record.
Name Access
I.L. Peretz
Workmen's Circle
Arbeter Ring
Arbeiter Ring
Subjects
Education
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1986-4-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 3963
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
3963
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1938
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Notes
Photo by Schlochter.
Name Access
I.L. Peretz
Workmen's Circle
Arbeter Ring
Arbeiter Ring
Subjects
Education
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1986-4-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 3962
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
3962
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1937
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Notes
For identification see accession record.
Photo by Simon.
Name Access
I.L. Peretz
Workmen's Circle
Arbeter Ring
Arbeiter Ring
Subjects
Education
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1986-4-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4642
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4642
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1932
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Scope and Content
Photograph of a graduation picture. Fifth from the left is David Newman. Some names are written on the front of the photograph.
Name Access
Newman, David
Subjects
Education
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1981-11-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4270
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4270
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1918]
Physical Description
1 photograph
Scope and Content
Photograph is of the manual training class at either the King Eward School or the Manning Ave. School.
Notes
There is no negative.
Name Access
King Edward School (Toronto, Ont.)
Manning Avenue School (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Children
Education
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1984-12-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4323
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4323
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[between 1932 and 1934]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Notes
There is a negative for this photograph.
Name Access
Clinton St. School
Miss Chambers
Subjects
Children
Education
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1987-1-7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4329
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4329
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1924
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Notes
There is a negative for this photograph.
Name Access
Ogden Schools
Subjects
Children
Education
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1986-1-12
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4330
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4330
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1922]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Notes
There is a negative for this photograph.
Name Access
Ogden School
Subjects
Children
Education
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1986-1-12
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4331
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4331
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1927]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w (1 negative)
Name Access
Ogden School
Subjects
Children
Education
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1986-1-12
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 3874
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
3874
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1892
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Name Access
Harbord Collegiate
Subjects
Education
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1984-1-8
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 3873
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
3873
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1900
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Name Access
Harbord Collegiate
Subjects
Education
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1984-1-8
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 1306
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
1306
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[1906 or 1907]
Physical Description
1 photograph: b&w (1 negative)
Scope and Content
Photograph of a domestic science class at Lord Dufferin School on Berkeley St. Second from the left in the front row is Mattie Levi.
Name Access
Levi, Mattie
Lord Dufferin School
Subjects
Children
Education
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Beverley Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
1977-5-7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 1780
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
1780
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1914
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Name Access
Duke St. School
Subjects
Children
Education
Food
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1979-9-42
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4153
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4153
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1940]
Physical Description
2 photographs : (1 negative)
Scope and Content
Circled: Norman Grosbein.
Subjects
Children
Education
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1986-10-10
Source
Archival Descriptions
Address
371 Spadina Avenue
Source
Landmarks

Hyman's Books and Art was a popular locale for the literary crowd. Hebraists were known to spend time here, discussing the latest trends in the world of literature. The owner Ben Zimon Hyman was also a Hebrew teacher but had originally trained as an engineer both in Russia and at the University of Toronto.
Address
371 Spadina Avenue
Time Period
1925-1973
Scope Note
Hyman's Books and Art was a popular locale for the literary crowd. Hebraists were known to spend time here, discussing the latest trends in the world of literature. The owner Ben Zimon Hyman was also a Hebrew teacher but had originally trained as an engineer both in Russia and at the University of Toronto.
History
The store was operated by Ben Zion Hyman and his wife Fanny. Their hours were 8:30 a.m. to 1pm daily (except for Saturday). There was a mimeograph machine, pop cooler, newspapers and a bar mitzvah registry. They carried Yiddish and Hebrew books, Judaica, tickets for the Standard Theatre, stationary, and school supplies. The store later moved to 412 Spadina Ave. (Donegan, Spadina Ave., p.138)
Category
Education
Arts
Retail store
Source
Landmarks
Address
9 Brunswick Avenue
Source
Landmarks

The Toronto Hebrew Religious School was established in 1907 to provide children with a Jewish education based on non-denominational, Zionist, and traditional Torah values. The school’s curriculum focused on the importance of the Jewish community and people (klal yisrael), as well as the responsibilities and privileges that being a Canadian citizen entailed. Being a staunchly Zionistic institution, all lessons were taught in Hebrew (ivrit bi ivrit). Originally situated on Simcoe Street, the school moved to its Brunswick Avenue location in 1925, and was known from then on as the Toronto Hebrew Free School and more informally as the Brunswick Avenue Talmud Torah. The building was designed by Jewish architect, Benjamin Brown.
Address
9 Brunswick Avenue
Time Period
1925-1946
Scope Note
The Toronto Hebrew Religious School was established in 1907 to provide children with a Jewish education based on non-denominational, Zionist, and traditional Torah values. The school’s curriculum focused on the importance of the Jewish community and people (klal yisrael), as well as the responsibilities and privileges that being a Canadian citizen entailed. Being a staunchly Zionistic institution, all lessons were taught in Hebrew (ivrit bi ivrit). Originally situated on Simcoe Street, the school moved to its Brunswick Avenue location in 1925, and was known from then on as the Toronto Hebrew Free School and more informally as the Brunswick Avenue Talmud Torah. The building was designed by Jewish architect, Benjamin Brown.
History
In 1946 the school became known officially as the Associated Hebrew Schools of Toronto. Having started initially as an afternoon and weekend school, in the 1940s the school began offering a full day program with its’ first grade 8 day school class graduating in 1951. From the Brunswick location, Associated branched out, and opened up branches further north, eventually establishing campuses on Finch Ave. and Neptune, where the schools are currently located.
Category
Education
Source
Landmarks
Address
79 Borden Street
Source
Landmarks

The Morris Winchevsky School, an affiliate of the United Jewish People’s Order (UJPO), was founded in 1928 to provide a progressive secular Jewish education focusing on Jewish culture and tradition to children in kindergarten through grade seven. This program was run after schools.
Address
79 Borden Street
Time Period
1925-
Scope Note
The Morris Winchevsky School, an affiliate of the United Jewish People’s Order (UJPO), was founded in 1928 to provide a progressive secular Jewish education focusing on Jewish culture and tradition to children in kindergarten through grade seven. This program was run after schools.
Category
Education
Source
Landmarks
Address
1 Major Street
Source
Landmarks

The Borochov School, a branch of the Poale Zion Zionist Labour movement (PZL), opened in 1932, offering an after-school program for families who wanted their children to receive an education that was in harmony with their beliefs. The school promoted Zionism and Socialism both in Canada and in Israel. Differing from other PZL movement schools, the Borochov School placed a greater importance on Yiddish than Hebrew.
Address
1 Major Street
Time Period
1932-1976
Scope Note
The Borochov School, a branch of the Poale Zion Zionist Labour movement (PZL), opened in 1932, offering an after-school program for families who wanted their children to receive an education that was in harmony with their beliefs. The school promoted Zionism and Socialism both in Canada and in Israel. Differing from other PZL movement schools, the Borochov School placed a greater importance on Yiddish than Hebrew.
History
In 1976, the branch of the PLZ that the Borochov School affiliated itself with, amalgamated with the other PZL organizations and the school's day-to-day functioning closed. Bialik Hebrew School became the sole educational facility for the PZL movement.
Category
Education
Source
Landmarks
Address
542 Dundas Street West
Source
Landmarks

The Yiddisher Zhurnal (or the Daily Hebrew Journal) was the primary organ for the Yiddish-speaking population in Toronto. This newspaper covered events in the Jewish world in Toronto and abroad. The paper was also a forum for Yiddish essayists. The long-time editor of the newspaper was Abraham Rhinewine (1887-1932). Born in Poland in 1887, he immigrated to London, England in 1902 and then came to Toronto with his wife Amy in 1907.
Address
542 Dundas Street West
Time Period
1910-1975
Scope Note
The Yiddisher Zhurnal (or the Daily Hebrew Journal) was the primary organ for the Yiddish-speaking population in Toronto. This newspaper covered events in the Jewish world in Toronto and abroad. The paper was also a forum for Yiddish essayists. The long-time editor of the newspaper was Abraham Rhinewine (1887-1932). Born in Poland in 1887, he immigrated to London, England in 1902 and then came to Toronto with his wife Amy in 1907.
History
The newspaper eventually moved to 409 College Street West (at Lippincott). The OJA has the Yiddisher Zhurnal on microfiche from 1915-1959.
Category
Political
Education
Arts
Source
Landmarks
Address
12 Major Street
Source
Landmarks

The YM-YWHA used a building on Major Street for their after-school children's programs when they out-grew their space on Brunswick Ave.
Address
12 Major Street
Time Period
[ca. 1940]-1953
Scope Note
The YM-YWHA used a building on Major Street for their after-school children's programs when they out-grew their space on Brunswick Ave.
Category
Education
Private Clubs
Source
Landmarks
Address
33 Phoebe Street
Source
Landmarks

Ogden Public School, previously known as the Phoebe Street School, is located just east of Spadina Ave and north of Queen Street. Many Jewish children from the Kensington Market neighbourhood went to school there.
Address
33 Phoebe Street
Scope Note
Ogden Public School, previously known as the Phoebe Street School, is located just east of Spadina Ave and north of Queen Street. Many Jewish children from the Kensington Market neighbourhood went to school there.
History
A 1944 study shows that 165 Jewish students attended Ogden School in that year.
Category
Education
Source
Landmarks
Address
18 Orde Street
Source
Landmarks

A 1944 report showed that 361 Jewish children attended Orde Street Public School, located east of Spadina and south of College.
Address
18 Orde Street
Scope Note
A 1944 report showed that 361 Jewish children attended Orde Street Public School, located east of Spadina and south of College.
Category
Education
Source
Landmarks
Address
96 Dension Avenue
Source
Landmarks

Many Jewish children attended Ryerson Public School. A 1944 study shows that 471 students were Jewish at the school.
Address
96 Dension Avenue
Scope Note
Many Jewish children attended Ryerson Public School. A 1944 study shows that 471 students were Jewish at the school.
Category
Education
Source
Landmarks
Address
33 Robert Street
Source
Landmarks

Lansdowne Public School at one time had a high concentration of Jewish students due to its close proximity to Kensginton Market. A 1944 study shows that 778 Jewish students attended Lansdowne Public School (now known as Lord Lansdowne Public School) in that year.
Address
33 Robert Street
Time Period
1888-
Scope Note
Lansdowne Public School at one time had a high concentration of Jewish students due to its close proximity to Kensginton Market. A 1944 study shows that 778 Jewish students attended Lansdowne Public School (now known as Lord Lansdowne Public School) in that year.
Category
Education
Source
Landmarks
Address
112 Lippincott Street
Source
Landmarks

King Edward Public School was located in the heart of the Jewish neighbourhood, just north of Kensington Market. A 1944 study shows that 581 Jewish children attended King Edward Public School in that year.
Address
112 Lippincott Street
Scope Note
King Edward Public School was located in the heart of the Jewish neighbourhood, just north of Kensington Market. A 1944 study shows that 581 Jewish children attended King Edward Public School in that year.
Category
Education
Source
Landmarks
Address
286 Harbord Street
Source
Landmarks
Address
286 Harbord Street
Category
Education
Source
Landmarks
Address
194 Beverley Street
Source
Landmarks

The precursor to the Peretz School, the Jewish National Radical School was opened in 1911. It was founded on the principles of sympathy for the working classes, secularism, and the desire to perpetuate secular Jewish culture through the Yiddish language. The curriculum consisted mainly of secular subjects--Jewish history and Yiddish language.
Address
194 Beverley Street
Time Period
1911-1960
Scope Note
The precursor to the Peretz School, the Jewish National Radical School was opened in 1911. It was founded on the principles of sympathy for the working classes, secularism, and the desire to perpetuate secular Jewish culture through the Yiddish language. The curriculum consisted mainly of secular subjects--Jewish history and Yiddish language.
History
Due to financial problems, in 1916 the school was taken over by the Workman’s Circle (Arbeiter Ring) and renamed the I.L. Peretz School after the well-known Yiddish author and playwright Isaac Leib Peretz. After seeing great popularity and strong attendance, the school expanded to other branches around the city. After around 50 years as an educational institution, the I.L Peretz School saw a decline and eventually closed its doors. Isaac Matenko (1874-1960) was one of the founding teachers and later, the principal of the Toronto Yiddish National Radical School. He was later affiliated with the Junction branch of the Peretz School, where he was a teacher and principal. He worked tirelessly to preserve and promote secular Jewish culture and the Yiddish language in Toronto.
Category
Education
Source
Landmarks
Address
68 D'Arcy Street
Source
Landmarks

The Eitz Chaim School was established in 1915 in temporary quarters on Chesnut st. In 1917, Eitz Chaim was moved to its more permanent location on D’Arcy St. Eitz Chaim was established as an alternative to the already existing Orthodox Talmud Torahs like the Simcoe St. Talmud torah (which later amalgamated into the Associated Hebrew Schools).
Address
68 D'Arcy Street
Time Period
1917-1966
Scope Note
The Eitz Chaim School was established in 1915 in temporary quarters on Chesnut st. In 1917, Eitz Chaim was moved to its more permanent location on D’Arcy St. Eitz Chaim was established as an alternative to the already existing Orthodox Talmud Torahs like the Simcoe St. Talmud torah (which later amalgamated into the Associated Hebrew Schools).
History
Like the Simcoe St. Talmud Torah, Eitz Chaim initially offered classes outside of normal school hours, and catered exclusively to boys. The school catered to the more conservative Polish families interested in providing a more traditional education for their children similar to the pedagogical styles of the Yeshivas in Poland. Unlike the Simcoe St. Talmud Torah that taught its’ curriculum in Hebrew (Ivrit bi’ Ivrit), Eitz Chaim taught its’ lessons in Yiddish and focused heavily on religious studies and de-emphasized Hebrew grammar and secular studies. In 1928, the D’Arcy Street location rebuilt its’ facilities to accommodate the growing population of students seeking enrollment. The 1966 the D'Arcy Street location was sold. The Eitz Chaim Schools have expanded to multiple branches around the city and are still in operation today.
Category
Education
Source
Landmarks
Address
131 Maria Street
Source
Landmarks

The precursor to the Peretz School, the Jewish National Radical School was opened in 1911. It was founded on the principles of sympathy for the working classes, secularism, and the desire to perpetuate secular Jewish culture through the Yiddish language. The curriculum consisted mainly of secular subjects - Jewish history and Yiddish language.
Address
131 Maria Street
Time Period
1911-1960
Scope Note
The precursor to the Peretz School, the Jewish National Radical School was opened in 1911. It was founded on the principles of sympathy for the working classes, secularism, and the desire to perpetuate secular Jewish culture through the Yiddish language. The curriculum consisted mainly of secular subjects - Jewish history and Yiddish language.
History
Due to financial problems, in 1916 the school was taken over by the Workman’s Circle (Arbeiter Ring) and renamed the I.L. Peretz School after the well-known Yiddish author and playwright Isaac Leib Peretz. After seeing great popularity and strong attendance, the school expanded to other branches around the city, including this branch at 131 Maria Street in the west Toronto Junction. After about 50 years as an educational institution, the I.L. Peretz School closed its doors. Isaac Matenko (1874-1960) was one of the founding teachers and later, the principal of the Toronto Yiddish National Radical School. He was later affiliated with the Junction branch of the Peretz School, where he was a teacher and principal. He worked tirelessly to preserve and promote secular Jewish culture and the Yiddish language in Toronto.
Category
Education
Source
Landmarks
Part Of
Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds
Executive director series
Subject files sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 61; Series 1-1; File 54
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds
Executive director series
Subject files sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
61
Series
1-1
File
54
Material Format
textual record
Date
1954-1955
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
This file contains a guide and curriculum outline for youth study groups interested in continuing their Jewish education, prepared by the Educational and Cultural Committee of the Canadian Jewish Congress and an outline for teaching history by Joseph Klinger, head teacher at B'nai Israel Congregation in London, Ontario.
Subjects
Education
Accession Number
2004-5-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Address
15 Brunswick Avenue
Source
Landmarks

At the turn of the twentieth-century, the Jewish population of Toronto grew with large numbers of Eastern European families fleeing hardship back home. Soon, a variety of clubs began forming, providing a place for Jewish boys and girls to participate in athletic and social programming. In 1919, several of the athletic and social groups decided to amalgamate and formed an umbrella organization known as the Hebrew Association of Young Men’s and Young Women’s Clubs. By 1930, they were known as the YM-YWHA (Young Men’s and Young Women’s Hebrew Association. Through the 1920s and 30s, they occupied a number of facilities in the Brunswick Avenue and College Street area.
Address
15 Brunswick Avenue
Time Period
1937
Scope Note
At the turn of the twentieth-century, the Jewish population of Toronto grew with large numbers of Eastern European families fleeing hardship back home. Soon, a variety of clubs began forming, providing a place for Jewish boys and girls to participate in athletic and social programming. In 1919, several of the athletic and social groups decided to amalgamate and formed an umbrella organization known as the Hebrew Association of Young Men’s and Young Women’s Clubs. By 1930, they were known as the YM-YWHA (Young Men’s and Young Women’s Hebrew Association. Through the 1920s and 30s, they occupied a number of facilities in the Brunswick Avenue and College Street area.
History
As a result of the overcrowding and de-centralized facilities, in 1937, the YM-YWHA constructed its own athletic building at 15 Brunswick Avenue, next door to the Talmud Torah, to ease the overcrowding. Similar to the JCCs of today, the early YM-YWHA provided a sense of Jewish identity and camaraderie through physical, educational, cultural and community based programming.
Category
Arts
Education
Private Clubs
Source
Landmarks
Name
Dr. Sam and Rivka Hurwich
Material Format
sound recording
Interview Date
2 July 1974
Source
Oral Histories
Name
Dr. Sam and Rivka Hurwich
Number
AC 022
Subject
Education
Nonprofit organizations
Interview Date
2 July 1974
Quantity
1
Interviewer
Stephen Speisman
Total Running Time
Side One - 43 minutes
Side Two - 3 minutes
Conservation
Copied August 2003
Digitized in 2014
Use Restrictions
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Biography
Dr. Sam Hurwich was involved in a number of organzations including the Canadian Jewish Congress, JIAS and several Labour Zionist groups.
Material Format
sound recording
Name Access
Hurwich, Sam
Hurwich, Rivka
Geographic Access
Toronto
Original Format
Audio cassette
Copy Format
Audio cassette
Digital file
Transcript
AC 22 Side 1:
00:14 Dr. Hurwich explains that while he was in medical school between 1919 and 1926 a number of organizations started Sunday schools to provide Jewish education for children in the community. The earliest schools he recalls were at Holy Blossom established by Edmund Scheuer and at the Zionist Centre. Dr. Hurwich briefly taught at the Zionist Centre.
1:04 The Ladies Group at the McCaul St. Shul asked Dr. Hurwich to organize a school and serve as Principal. Dr. Hurwich list the women involved with the program. 150 students, both boys and girls met once a week on Sundays initially. Later, classes were held twice a week.
3:00 Dr. Hurwich explains that the leaders of the synagogue were very supportive. Outside of Talmud Torah there was no other formal Jewish education.
3:30 Dr. Hurwich list the melameds (private teachers) at the time and discusses his own Jewish education.
4:40 Dr. Hurwich mentions Dr. L.J. Solway (the son of one of Sam’s teachers) and describes his path to study medicine. Dr. Hurwich and Stephen Speisman discuss other members of the Solway family. Two brothers were shochtim (ritual slaughterer) and one brother was a sofer (scribe).
6:39 Dr. Hurwich explains that he was approached to be the school’s principal because of his background knowledge and previous experience as a teacher.
7:20 The students were taught Hebrew, Chumash, tefillah and Yiddish.
8:58 Dr. Hurwich explains that he has no knowledge of school established by Ida Siegal in 1912/13.
9:24 Dr. Hurwich’s family attended the McCaul St. Shul.
9:32 Mrs. Hurwich explains that the National Radical School, the first secular Yiddish school, opened in 1911/12 on Simcoe St. Mrs. Hurwich attended this school.
10:25 The Farband School, Zionistic in spirit, was organized in the 1920’s as an offshoot of the Radical School (which later became the Peretz Shule) that was anti-Zionist. The Farband School taught both Yiddish and Hebrew. Dr. Hurwich briefly discusses the history of the Farband (starting in the U.S., opening first in Montreal and later in Toronto).
12:30 Dr. Hurwich mentions other secular schools and their locations.
13:19 Dr. Hurwich discusses the conflict between the religious community and the National Radical School (later Workman’s Circle). E.g. Religious groups opposed the secular groups because they organized events on Saturday; Workman’s Circle opposed Zionist groups, etc.).
14:58 Dr. Hurwich comments that the signing of the Balfour Declaration had a uniting effect on the Jewish community.
16:19 Mrs. Hurwich describes the inception and growth of the National Radical School between 1911 and 1916. The school was able to revive the spirit of Jewish (Yiddish) revival through the teaching of language, music, literature and folklore. At its peak there were 500 children attending the school 3 times a week.
21:00 Mrs. Hurwich discusses that after the First World War, a school was established by Mr. Morris Goldstick. She explains that each Sunday children would collect money for the school at 194 Beverly.
22:11 Stephen Speisman comments that this type of organization grew into the Canadian Jewish Congress.
23:00 Mrs. Hurwich speaks of the influence this school had on her and other children’s lives. She comments, for example, that the children mourned Peretz’s death as if he were a relative.
24:29 Mrs. Hurwich discusses the leadership and teachers of the National Radical School.
25:58 Stephen Speisman cites an incident in which the National Radical School is accused of attempting to convert children to Christianity. Dr. & Mrs. Hurwich were not aware of this accusation.
26:58 Dr. Hurwich suggests that the signing of the Balfour Declaration was the stimulus for the creation of the Sunday school at the Zionist Centre. The school was designed to augment Jewish education with Zionistic ideology.
28:12 Stephen Speisman cites a second incident involving objections from the religious community to a proposal to hold a picnic in Lambton Park on Shabbat. Dr & Mrs. Hurwich concur that this may have occurred.
29:10 Dr. Hurwich explains that the school at Holy Blossom run by Edmund Scheuer did not have a Zionistic spirit. The Zionist Sunday school was a reaction to this school, as well.
31:10 Dr. Hurwich describes the efforts of Mr. ?Hyman, an engineer turned Hebrew teacher, and Mr. Israel Freeman, a chalutz from Palestine who moved to Canada, to organize a Hebrew Speaking Club for young people at Simcoe St. Talmud Torah.
34:26 Dr. Hurwich discusses the various Yiddish and Hebrew groups available for Jewish youth in Toronto.
36:10 Dr. Hurwich suggests there was no animosity among the Zionists. Young Judea had been founded by that time.
37:16 Dr. and Mrs. Hurwich list people who were active in youth groups and education in that era.
39:30 Dr. Hurwich discusses some shuls from that era: a shul on Richmond St that his grandfather helped found and a shul on Elm St. He recalls learning Gemorah at the Elm St. Shul in 1912.
42:24 Rabbi Yudi Rosenberg was Rabbi at the Elm St. Shul. Dr. Hurwich mentions other Rabbis from that era: Rabbis Weinreb, Gordon and Graubart.
AC 22 Side 2
00:10 Dr. Hurwich discusses his encounters with anti-Semitism while in public school and in an attempt to find a Pediatric internship at Hospital for Sick Children.
(interview ends abruptly at 3:06)
Source
Oral Histories
Name
Harry Finkelman
Material Format
sound recording
Interview Date
1972
Source
Oral Histories
Name
Harry Finkelman
Number
AC 028
Subject
Antisemitism
Education
Occupations
Pharmacists
Interview Date
1972
Quantity
1
Interviewer
Morris Silbert
AccessionNumber
1978-2-2
Total Running Time
028A: 46 minutes 028B: 7 minutes
Conservation
Copied August 2003
Notes
Parts inaudible
Use Restrictions
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Biography
Harry Finkelman was born in 1909 in Hamilton and was one of the first Jewish pharmacists in Hamilton. His father was a tailor and an active member of several Jewish organizations including the Hess Street Synagogue and the Talmud Torah. Harry attended the Talmud Torah and was involved with Young Judea and groups/clubs from the Talmud Torah. In this interview he discusses the early history of Hamilton and descrimination against Jews entering the professions.
Material Format
sound recording
Name Access
Finkelman, Harry
Silbert, Morris
Geographic Access
Hamilton
Original Format
Audio cassette
Copy Format
Audio cassette
Digital file
Transcript
G:\Description\Oral Histories\AC 028, Harry Finkelman\AC 028, Finkleman transcript.pdf
Source
Oral Histories

In this clip, Harry Finkelman shares some of his early memories of the Hamilton Jewish community in the 1910s. He notes name of shops, shop owners, streets and describes some of the synagogues

In this clip, Harry Finkelman describes the difficulty for a Jew in the 1920s to find a placement to complete a mandatory 3 year apprenticeship before he could enter Pharmacy at University.

Name
Ben Himel
Material Format
sound recording
Interview Date
Jan 24, 1983
Source
Oral Histories
Name
Ben Himel
Number
AC 135
Subject
Education
Fraternal organizations
Labor unions
Zionism
Interview Date
Jan 24, 1983
Quantity
1
Interviewer
Stephen Speisman
Total Running Time
135A: 26:40 minutes 135B: 29:20 minutes
Conservation
Copied August 2003
Notes
Interview does not start at beginning.
Use Restrictions
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Biography
Ben Himel was Vice President and founder of the Borochov School and Kindergarten. Himel was affliated with the Poale Zion,Jewish National Workers Alliance (Farband), the Independent Workers Circle and The Board of Jewish Education
Material Format
sound recording
Name Access
Himel, Ben
Speisman, Stephen
Geographic Access
Toronto
Original Format
Audio cassette
Copy Format
Audio cassette
Digital file
Source
Oral Histories

In this clip, Benjamin Himel discusses the ideologies of Canada's Labor Movements during the 1930s and 1940s.

In this clip, Benjamin Himel discusses the Zionist movement within the Toronto Jewish community during the 1930s and 40s.

Name
Dr. Alexander Brown
Material Format
sound recording
Interview Date
May 4, 1977
Source
Oral Histories
Name
Dr. Alexander Brown
Number
AC 140
Subject
Education
Interview Date
May 4, 1977
Quantity
1
Interviewer
Stephen Speisman
Total Running Time
Side 1: 46 minutes 22 seconds Side 2: 41 minutes 13 seconds good
Conservation
Copied August 2003
Use Restrictions
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Biography
Dr. Alexander Brown was a leader in the field of Jewish education in Toronto. He held various positions with Toronto's Board of Education and the Associated Hebrew Schools of Toronto. He was actively involved with other Jewish organizations, such as Canadian Jewish Congress and United Jewish Welfare Fund. Dr. Brown was born in the Ukraine in 1909 and was the son of Louis and Bessie Brown.
Material Format
sound recording
Name Access
Brown, Alexander
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region (Toronto, Ont.)
Board of Jewish Education (Toronto, Ont.)
United Jewish Welfare Fund (Toronto, Ont.)
Associated Hebrew Schools (Toronto, Ont.)
Geographic Access
Toronto
Original Format
Audio cassette
Copy Format
Audio cassette
Digital file
Source
Oral Histories

In this clip, Dr. Brown describes his tenure as Executive Secretary of the Canadian Jewish Congress (CJC), its organizational structure, and the CJC's position within the Toronto Jewish Community.

In this clip, Dr. Brown discusses the Board of Jewish Education, the Welfare Fund and the Canadian Jewish Congress in relation to the subsidization of Associated Hebrew Schools

Name
Rabbi Elimelech Ittamar
Material Format
sound recording
Interview Date
May 11, 1976
Source
Oral Histories
Name
Rabbi Elimelech Ittamar
Number
AC 141
Subject
Education
Immigrants--Canada
Rabbis
Synagogues
Zionists
Interview Date
May 11, 1976
Quantity
1
Interviewer
Doris Newman
Total Running Time
Side 1: 46 minutes Side 2: 19 minutes
Conservation
Copied August 2003
Use Restrictions
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Biography
Rabbi Ittamar was born in Poland. He came to Toronto in 1923. He attended Landsdowne and Ryerson Public Schools in Toronto for one year and then continued his education at a theological seminary in New York which later became Yeshiva University. Throughout his life, Rabbi Ittamar was an ardent Zionist. From 1930 until June 1932, Rabbi Ittamar served as Rabbi of Beth Jacob and Adas Yisroel Synagogues in Hamilton. He then worked as principal of the Seattle Talmud Torah and attended graduate school at the University of Washington for three and a half years. He served for 20 years in Detroit as rabbi and president of Yeshiva. He made Aliyah in 5715 (1955) when he was invited by Chief Rabbi Herzog to become secretary of the Chief Rabbinate. He was married (nee Unger) in 1936 and had 2 children, Tamar and Yehoshua.
Material Format
sound recording
Name Access
Ittamar, Elimelech
Geographic Access
Toronto
Hamilton
Detroit
Original Format
Audio cassette
Copy Format
Audio cassette
Digital file
Transcript
G:\Description\Oral Histories\AC 141, Rabbi Elmelech Ittamar\AC 141 notes.pdf
Source
Oral Histories

In this clip, Rabbi Ittamar shares some of his early memories as a boy in Toronto.

While attending Yeshiva in New York, Rabbi Ittamar headed the debating team. In this clip he describes his first English-speaking public presentation while representing the debating team in 1930 at the Jewish People’s Institute in Chicago.

Name
Edna Jacobs
Material Format
sound recording
Interview Date
December and March 1986
Source
Oral Histories
Name
Edna Jacobs
Number
AC 125
Subject
Families
Travel
Education
Occupations
Antisemitism
Girl Guides
Religion
Volunteers
Interview Date
December and March 1986
Quantity
1
Interviewer
Nancy Draper
Total Running Time
Side 1: 36 minutes Side 2: 46 minutes
Conservation
Copied August 2003
Use Restrictions
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Biography
Edna (nee Frankel) Jacobs was born March 20, 1904 in Toronto, Her parents, Sigmund and Paula Frankel, were early immigrants from Germany. Edna attended Havergal from kindergarten through high school. She studied general arts for two years at the University of Toronto. She married Arthur Jacobs, the son of Rabbi Solomon Jacobs, in 1936. Together, they had one daughter, Patsy and a baby who died during infancy. Edna was involved with the Girls Club and the Junior Council of Jewish Women.
Material Format
sound recording
Name Access
Toronto Girl's Club
Toronto Council of Jewish Women
Geographic Access
Toronto
Germany
Original Format
Audio cassette
Copy Format
Audio cassette
Digital file
Transcript
G:\Description\Oral Histories\AC 125 Jacobs\AC 125 notes.pdf
Source
Oral Histories

In this clip, Edna Jacobs shares memories from a trip she and her family took to Biblis, Germany to celebrate her grandparents’ golden anniversary.

In this clip, Edna Jacobs reminisces about several prominent Toronto Jewish families.

Name
Anne Edell and I.S. Edell
Material Format
sound recording
Interview Date
February 7, 1984
Source
Oral Histories
Name
Anne Edell and I.S. Edell
Number
AC 208
Subject
Recreation
Education
Occupations
Antisemitism
Interview Date
February 7, 1984
Quantity
1
Interviewer
Phyllis Platnick
Total Running Time
AC 208A: 40 minutes AC 208B: 18 minutes
Conservation
Copied August 2003
Use Restrictions
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Biography
Anne Edell grew up in Toronto. She worked as a bookkeeper in several local Jewish businesses. During summer vacation, Anne would travel to Port Dalhousie, Crystal Beach and Jackson's Point. I.S. Edell grew up in Toronto. He graduated in education from OCE but was unable to find a teaching position. He worked at the post office for a short time and later in his father-in-law's business.
Material Format
sound recording
Name Access
Edell, Anne
Edell, I.S.
Platnick, Phyllis
Geographic Access
Port Dalhousie
Crystal Beach
Original Format
Audio cassette
Copy Format
Audio cassette
Digital file
Source
Oral Histories

In this clip, Anne Edell shares memories of summer vacations.

In this clip, I.S. Edell discusses the anti-Semitism encountered by Jewish graduates in the field of education in Ontario in the 1930s.

Name
Merle Koven
Material Format
moving images
Interview Date
Oct. 17, 2007
Source
Oral Histories
Name
Merle Koven
Number
AC 324
Subject
Antisemitism
Education
Synagogues
Interview Date
Oct. 17, 2007
Quantity
2 mini DVs, 2 archival DVDs, 2 reference DVDs
Interviewer
Sharon Gubbay Helfer
Total Running Time
2 hrs
Notes
Part of Ontario Small Jewish Communities Project.
Use Restrictions
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Biography
Merle Koven grew up in Kingston and attended Kingston Collegiate. After high school, Merle enrolled in teachers college in Toronto, then later taught school in Kingston. Merle married Philip Koven, a well-known local businessman, philanthropist and community volunteer, who died in 2008. He was owner of Rosen Heating and Cooling, which merged with another old, established city business to form Rosen, Triheat and Anglin, now run by their two sons.
During their 45 years of marriage, the Kovens raised three children - Adam, Kenneth and Rebecca. Both Phil and Merle Koven were prominent in the community. In 1982, Merle Koven broke new ground when she became president of Beth Israel, in Kingston, possibly the first woman president of an Orthodox synagogue in North America. She was vice-chair of Queens 1990s, although she did not have a degree.
The Merle and Philip Koven Bursary in Art History at Queen's University was initially established by Philip Koven in honour of his wife, Merle Koven, both passionate supporters of the arts in Kingston. This fund provides financial support for upper-year students in art history. After Philip Koven passed away in 2008, the fund received many gifts in his memory.
Material Format
moving images
Name Access
Queen's University
Hadassah WIZO Organization of Canada
Bader, Alfred
Geographic Access
Kingston
Original Format
Mini DV
Copy Format
DVD
Source
Oral Histories
Accession Number
2013-7-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-7-3
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 51 x 44 cm on mat 62 x 55 cm
Date
1909
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one composite photograph of the University of Toronto, Faculty of Medicine's graduating class of 1909. Included is L. J. Solway.
Custodial History
There is no acquisition informaiton for this photograph. It was found in the processing room in July 2013.
Subjects
Education
Physicians
Name Access
University of Toronto
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-7-4
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-7-4
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
3 cm of textual records
Date
1950-1989
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records related to the Bureau of Jewish Education (later the Board of Jewish Education). Included is the inaugural meeting invitation, general correspondence, commencement and festival programmes, newsletters, a report on the schools of Beth Tikvah Synagogue and a BJE Dropouts' Study performed in 1989.
Custodial History
There is no acquisition information for these records. Cantor Stolnitz's stamp is visible on many of the records and some of the correspondence is addressed to him.
Subjects
Education
Name Access
Board of Jewish Education (Toronto, Ont.)
Stolnitz, Nathan
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-7-5
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-7-5
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 certificate
Date
1930
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a University of Toronto graduation diploma for Sara Selma Mirochnick.
Custodial History
There is no acquisition information for this accession. The record was found in the processing room in July 2013.
Subjects
Education
Name Access
Mirochnick, Sara
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2014-3-4
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2014-3-4
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
6 cm of textual records
Date
[ca. 1970]-[ca. 1999]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of various meeting minutes of the Masada Chapter, Farband of Lithuanian Jews. The minutues are written in Yiddish and document different meetings, such as, Chanukah meetings, closing meetings, luncheons, and teas. Also included is one Borochov School Nurseries brochure. Jennie Kernkraut is the teacher in the classroom pictured on the cover of the brochure.
Custodial History
Records were in the possession of Jennie Kernkraut's daughter, Judy Kasman, unitl their donation to the OJA.
Administrative History
Jennie Kernkraut (nee Golomb) was born in 1916 in Vilno. She came to Canada in 1948 and worked as a nursery school and Yiddish teacher at the Borochov school in Toronto. She was an active member of the Masada Chapter, Farband of Lithuanian Jews and served on its executive for many years as Secretary.
Subjects
Societies
Education
Name Access
Kernkraut, Jennie
Farband of Lithuanian Jews (Toronto, Ont.)
Borochov School (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2014-1-15
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2014-1-15
Material Format
textual record
moving images
sound recording
Physical Description
ca. 3 m of textual records
ca. 20 video cassettes
ca. 5 audio cassettes
Date
[ca. 1970]-[ca. 2010]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of textual records, and audio-visual material documenting the operations of Hillel and its predecessor organization, the Jewish Students Federation.
Subjects
Education
Nonprofit organizations
Name Access
Hillel of Greater Toronto
Places
Toronto, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2014-8-5
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2014-8-5
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder textual records
Date
1937-1970
Scope and Content
Accession consists of personal records of Bunny Bergstein. Included is his certificate of graduation from "shule", or Yiddish school, and documents related to the B'Nai Brith Lodge.
Subjects
Education
Yiddish language
Name Access
Bergstein, Bunny
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2014-8-7
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2014-8-7
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
ca. 30 cm textual records
Date
1995-2007
Scope and Content
Accession consists of documents related to Hillel of Greater Toronto. Types of materials include meeting minutes, flyers, correspondence employee manuals and financial statements.
Subjects
Education
Nonprofit organizations
Name Access
Hillel of Greater Toronto
Places
Toronto, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2014-9-4
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2014-9-4
Material Format
multiple media
Physical Description
1.2 m of textual records and other material
Date
[ca. 1936]-2012
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records documenting the activities of Eitz Chaim. Included are photographs, yearbooks, class lists and registers, teachers record books and student grade reports, curriculum materials, anniversary books and 2 DVDs from a gala dinner and fundraising event. Also included is the Beth Jacob High School dedication and founders dinner book.
Administrative History
Known then as the Poylishe Talmud Torah, Eitz Chaim began in 1915 with a few students in one classroom guided by one teacher. The school’s first premises were in the Elm Street Shul. Within a year, a second teacher, Reb Leibish Noble, was hired, and he remained actively involved in Eitz Chaim for 30 years. There were now 30 students in two classes. The four-hour nightly sessions were held at the end of the regular public school day with an additional six hours on Sunday. Classes continued throughout the summer as well.
The school’s first building on Chestnut Street was inaugurated in August 1916, with additional classes held at a branch on Simcoe Street. The second president of the school, Yosef Shidlowsky, in a move to be more inclusive of all Orthodox Jews, changed the name of the school to Talmud Torah Eitz Chaim.
In 1917, Mr. Shidlowsky, Itshe Meyer Korolnek, and Joseph Cooper managed not only to obtain a provincial charter to open a religious school, but were also instrumental in purchasing the Italian Club at 68 D’Arcy St. to accommodate the school’s growing enrollment.
In 1920, Rabbi Yehuda Leib Graubart arrived from Stashow, Poland, and assumed the post of spiritual leader of the Talmud Torah. He introduced more Hebrew instruction and a more intensive Torah curriculum.
In 1926, Rabbi Pinchas Ravad became the next principal, a position he retained for the next nine years. During that time, a separate girls’ class was formed and the first female teacher was hired. Although a fire in 1927 destroyed the wooden school building on D’Arcy St., a new, larger school was constructed on the same site and dedicated on December 30, 1927. After moving into the new building, student enrollment increased dramatically. Beginning with 300 students in 1929, the student body grew to 400 in 1931, 503 in 1933, and 600 in 1938.
After the passing of Rabbi Graubart, an evening high school yeshiva, the Maharil Graubart Yeshiva, was founded in 1939 to serve boys 14 years of age and up with Rav Yaakov Kamenetsky acting as rosh yeshiva beginning in 1941. The building next door to the Talmud Torah, at 80 D’Arcy Street, was purchased to provide space for the yeshiva and was connected via a walkway to the Talmud Torah. As the students of Eitz Chaim Talmud Torah graduated from the elementary school, they would eventually attend the Maharil Graubart Yeshiva. That same year, Rabbi Jacob I. Wohlgelernter became principal of the Talmud Torah and a kindergarten was added in 1942.
Seven years later, Rabbi Chaim Nussbaum officially assumed the role of principal of Eitz Chaim Schools. Beginning with only a grade 1, new grades were added every year until grades 1 through 9 were in place. Eitz Chaim gradually broadened its scope, welcoming Jewish students from many diverse backgrounds and establishing afternoon and day classes beginning in 1950 at a branch on Burnside Ave. To meet the growing demand for classes, the Torath Emeth Jewish Centre was established at 1 Viewmount Avenue in 1956.
By 1958, in response to the geographical shift of the Jewish population northward, the Tanenbaum Building was added to the complex, followed by the Korolnek Building in 1961, both at 1 Viewmount Avenue. By this time, Eitz Chaim had two principals: Rabbi Nussbaum, who oversaw Hebrew studies, and Rabbi Shlomo Jakubovitz, who oversaw general studies.
The two buildings on D’Arcy St. were sold in 1966 and the proceeds were designated toward purchasing a new school building to the north of the city. Rabbi Shlomo Jakobovits, Avraham Bleeman, Joe Goldwasser and Sam Wortsman led the way in persuading the Board of Directors to purchase the land at Patricia and Bathurst Streets. Patricia and Bathurst Streets served as the temporary location for portable units until the large, permanent building was completed in 1970. This location evolved into the boys’ campus, servicing students from all areas of the city.
Rabbi Shneur Weinberg succeeded Rabbi Nussbaum in 1969 and served as the Hebrew principal until his retirement in 1995, when Rabbi Aaron Levine took over. The position of Hebrew studies principal for the girls’ school was created in 1974 and was held by Rabbi Leibish Adler for 26 years. Rabbi Mordechai Gewirts succeeded Rabbi Adler in 2002 and was principal of the girls’ school until 2012. Eitz Chaim Schools developed rapidly and acquired an excellent reputation among North American day schools.
The female graduates of Eitz Chaim, for the most part, attended public high school. To counter this trend, Beth Jacob High School, with the guidance of Eitz Chaim, was launched in 1963, with classes conducted near the Viewmount branch. In 1966, the Beth Jacob High School and Teacher’s Seminary was completed on Lawrence Avenue, culminating in the opening of a girls’ high school that became completely independent of Eitz Chaim. Today, many female graduates of Etiz Chaim continue their education at Beth Jacob High School.
The Spring Farm campus, named for the farm formerly on that site, opened its doors in 1988. Currently, Eitz Chaim serves primarily as an elementary educational institute under the guidance of Rabbi Isser Pliner.
History from http://www.eitzchaim.com/index.php?page=history (viewed Oct. 6, 2014)
Use Conditions
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Descriptive Notes
Physical Description note: Includes ca. 500 photographs, texts, 2 DVDs and 1 betacam cassette.
Use Conditions note: student grade reports are closed until 30 years after the death of the individual.
Subjects
Education
Children
Name Access
Eitz Chaim Schools (Toronto, Ont.)
Places
Toronto, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2014-12-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2014-12-1
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm
Date
1957-1958
Scope and Content
Accession consists of two photographs of Bernie Shiner's class at Associated Hebrew Schools on Neptune Avenue, Toronto.
Identified individuals from 1957 are: David Zweig; Mitchell (?); Phillip Granovsky; Ian Eckler; Mark Greenspan; Hillel Eisen; Mark Gottlieb; Heidi (?); Mark Shapiro; Bernie Shiner; Gordon Lindsay; Carol Ogden; Vernon Kurtz; Milton Davis; Allan Greenspan; Leonard Feldman; Bobby Posen; Avram Steinman; and Sima Godfrey. The teacher was Mr. Clodman.
Identified individuals from 1958 are: Avram Steinman; David Zweig; Evelyn Klein; Bobby Posen; Emma Applebaum; Vernon Kurtz; Gordon Lindsay; Leonard Feldman; Allan Greenspan; Alan Frankel; Henry Metkiewitz; Bernie Shiner; Ronnie Rosenberg; Phil Granovsky; Deena Mandel; Mitchell (?).
Descriptive Notes
See accession form for location of individuals.
Subjects
Education
Children
Name Access
Zweig, David
Granovsky, Phillip
Eckler, Ian
Greenspan, Mark
Eisen, Hillel
Gottlieb, Mark
Shapiro, Mark
Shiner, Bernie
Lindsay, Gordon
Ogden, Carol
Kurtz, Vernon
Davis, Milton
Greenspan, Allan
Feldman, Leonard
Posen, Bobby
Steinman, Avram
Godfrey, Sima
Shapiro, Mark
Davis, Milton
Klein, Evelyn
Applebaum, Emma
Frankel, Alan
Metkiewitz, Henry
Rosenberg, Ronnie
Mandel, Deena
Associated Hebrew Schools
Source
Archival Accessions
103 records – page 1 of 3.

Narrow By

Collection Name

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Place

Language

Restrictions

Available Digital Content