Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
50 records – page 1 of 1.
Level
Item
ID
Item 1138
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
1138
Material Format
graphic material
Date
18 Sept. 1955
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 18 x 13 cm and 12 x 10 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a copy print and corresponding negative of Leon Rotberg, Sam Neiman and Ben Kanter holding the Sefer Torah that was donated to the Beth David Synagogue in Brantford, Ontario.
Notes
Acquired on June 28, 1976.
Name Access
Beth David Synagogue (Brantford, Ont.)
Subjects
Small communities
Synagogues
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Brantford, Ont.
Accession Number
1976-6-6
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 1137
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
1137
Material Format
graphic material
Date
18 Sept. 1955
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 18 x 13 cm and 12 x 10 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a copy print and corresponding negative of the donation of Sefer Torah to the Beth David Synagogue in Brantford, Ontario. Pictured from left to right are:
Harry Wise, Louis Rapoport, Hyman Edelist, and Louis Henkle.
Name Access
Beth David Synagogue (Brantford, Ont.)
Subjects
Small communities
Synagogues
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Brantford, Ont.
Accession Number
1976-6-6
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 1136
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
1136
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1954
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 18 x 13 cm and 12 x 10 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a copy print and corresponding negative of the burning of the mortgage ceremony at Beth David Synagogue in Brantford, Ontario. The photograph depicts Ethel Rapoport (m. Rotberg), Louis Rapoport and Edith Rapoport (m. Kanter) lighting several candles placed on a banquet table. Looking on in the background on the right is Mrs. Sam (Celia) Axler. In the background on the left is Hyman Stemeroff.
Notes
Acquired on June 18, 1976.
Name Access
Beth David Synagogue (Brantford, Ont.)
Subjects
Small communities
Synagogues
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Brantford, Ont.
Accession Number
1976-6-6
Source
Archival Descriptions
Name
Morris Fishman
Material Format
sound recording
Interview Date
12 July 1977
Source
Oral Histories
Name
Morris Fishman
Number
AC 036
Subject
Personal and family life
Anti-Semitism and discrimination
Small communities
Synagogues
Organizations
Societies and associations
Food and cooking
Occupations and professions
Clubs and lodges
Interview Date
12 July 1977
Quantity
1
Interviewer
Richard Menkis
Total Running Time
Side 1 46 minutes Side 2 17 minutes
Conservation
Copied August 2003
Use Restrictions
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Biography
Morris Fishman was born September 29, 1916 in New Jersey. His family moved to Welland, Ontario when he was an infant. He attended elementary and high school in Welland and completed two years at the University of Toronto. He worked in a family men's wear business in Welland. Morris was actively involved in the Jewish community including participation in the Anshe Yosher Congregation, the Jewish Cultural Society and the Jacob Goldblatt B'nai Brith Lodge. He was married and had two daughters.
Material Format
sound recording
Name Access
Fishman, Morris
Geographic Access
Welland
Original Format
Audio cassette
Copy Format
Audio cassette
Digital file
Transcript
G:\Description\Oral Histories\AC 036 Fishman\AC 036 transcript.pdf
Source
Oral Histories

In this clip, Morris Fishman praises the efforts of the non-Jewish community in Welland, Ontario to support the building of a new synagogue following a fire that destroyed the old synagogue in 1954.

In this clip, Morris Fishman discusses the Jacob Goldblatt B’nai Brith Lodge in Welland, Ontario.

Name
Rabbi Elimelech Ittamar
Material Format
sound recording
Interview Date
May 11, 1976
Source
Oral Histories
Name
Rabbi Elimelech Ittamar
Number
AC 141
Subject
Land, settlement and immigration
Education
Personal and family life
Religion
Synagogues
Zionism
Interview Date
May 11, 1976
Quantity
1
Interviewer
Doris Newman
Total Running Time
Side 1: 46 minutes Side 2: 19 minutes
Conservation
Copied August 2003
Use Restrictions
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Biography
Rabbi Ittamar was born in Poland. He came to Toronto in 1923. He attended Landsdowne and Ryerson Public Schools in Toronto for one year and then continued his education at a theological seminary in New York which later became Yeshiva University. Throughout his life, Rabbi Ittamar was an ardent Zionist. From 1930 until June 1932, Rabbi Ittamar served as Rabbi of Beth Jacob and Adas Yisroel Synagogues in Hamilton. He then worked as principal of the Seattle Talmud Torah and attended graduate school at the University of Washington for three and a half years. He served for 20 years in Detroit as rabbi and president of Yeshiva. He made Aliyah in 5715 (1955) when he was invited by Chief Rabbi Herzog to become secretary of the Chief Rabbinate. He was married (nee Unger) in 1936 and had 2 children, Tamar and Yehoshua.
Material Format
sound recording
Name Access
Ittamar, Elimelech
Geographic Access
Toronto
Hamilton
Detroit
Original Format
Audio cassette
Copy Format
Audio cassette
Digital file
Transcript
G:\Description\Oral Histories\AC 141, Rabbi Elmelech Ittamar\AC 141 notes.pdf
Source
Oral Histories

In this clip, Rabbi Ittamar shares some of his early memories as a boy in Toronto.

While attending Yeshiva in New York, Rabbi Ittamar headed the debating team. In this clip he describes his first English-speaking public presentation while representing the debating team in 1930 at the Jewish People’s Institute in Chicago.

Name
Merle Koven
Material Format
moving images
Interview Date
Oct. 17, 2007
Source
Oral Histories
Name
Merle Koven
Number
AC 324
Subject
Anti-Semitism and discrimination
Education
Synagogues
Interview Date
Oct. 17, 2007
Quantity
2 mini DVs, 2 archival DVDs, 2 reference DVDs
Interviewer
Sharon Gubbay Helfer
Total Running Time
2 hrs
Notes
Part of Ontario Small Jewish Communities Project.
Use Restrictions
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Biography
Merle Koven grew up in Kingston and attended Kingston Collegiate. After high school, Merle enrolled in teachers college in Toronto, then later taught school in Kingston. Merle married Philip Koven, a well-known local businessman, philanthropist and community volunteer, who died in 2008. He was owner of Rosen Heating and Cooling, which merged with another old, established city business to form Rosen, Triheat and Anglin, now run by their two sons.
During their 45 years of marriage, the Kovens raised three children - Adam, Kenneth and Rebecca. Both Phil and Merle Koven were prominent in the community. In 1982, Merle Koven broke new ground when she became president of Beth Israel, in Kingston, possibly the first woman president of an Orthodox synagogue in North America. She was vice-chair of Queens 1990s, although she did not have a degree.
The Merle and Philip Koven Bursary in Art History at Queen's University was initially established by Philip Koven in honour of his wife, Merle Koven, both passionate supporters of the arts in Kingston. This fund provides financial support for upper-year students in art history. After Philip Koven passed away in 2008, the fund received many gifts in his memory.
Material Format
moving images
Name Access
Queen's University
Hadassah WIZO Organization of Canada
Bader, Alfred
Geographic Access
Kingston
Original Format
Mini DV
Copy Format
DVD
Source
Oral Histories
Accession Number
2012-3-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-3-1
Material Format
graphic material
graphic material (electronic)
Physical Description
2 photographs : col. (1 jpg) ; 10 x 15 cm
Date
[2012?]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a photograph taken by Jack Hecker of the site of the former Agudath Israel Anshei Sfard Shul (151 Palmerston Ave.). A duplex house currently occupies the site. The text on the duplex building was added in by Jack Hecker.
Use Conditions
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Subjects
Synagogues
Buildings and structures
Name Access
Agudath Israel Anshei Sfard Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-5-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-5-2
Material Format
multiple media
Physical Description
10 cm of textual records and other material
Date
2011-2012
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records documenting the 100th anniversary celebration of Congregation Knesseth Israel. The records were compiled in an indexed binder by Edwin Goldstein, president of the synagogue. Included are newsclippings, press releases and advertisements; invitations and programs; a commemorative calendar; a volunteer t-shirt, a kippa and a gift bag; correspondence with the Ontario Trillium Foundation; information on a guided architectural walking tour of the area; an Israel Today DVD featuring the synagogue; the book "One Hundred Years at the Junction Shul" written by Neil Ross and Lorne Miller; and a DVD compilation featuring video and photographic highlights from the various anniversary events.
Administrative History
Congregation Knesseth Israel was established in 1911 at 56 Maria Street in the West end of Toronto. Early 20th century membership in the synagogue consisted mainly of new jewish immigrants from Eastern Europe, many of whom lived and worked in the Junction as artisans, peddlers, shop owners and scrap and metal collectors. Known as the Junction Shul, Knesseth Israel Synagogue was built with the labour and funds provided by the founding members and their families.
Orthodox services first began in 1913 and since the 1930s the synagogue has functioned without a rabbi, with services being led by a cantor or the congregants themselves. Some family names associated with this early period include: Alexandroff, Goldstein, Nickolaevsky, Kronis, Greenblatt, Usprich, Tanenbaum, and Naftalin.
Knesseth Israel is the oldest Toronto synagogue still in use as a synagogue today and is now cared for by the descendents of these founding families. Although members of the synagogue are now few (as the Jewish population of the Junction has waned greatly since the 1960s), the synagogue still performs High Holiday services for some 75-80 full members and 300 associate members.
Descriptive Notes
Physical description note: includes 1 text, 3 objects and 2 DVDs.
Subjects
Synagogues
Events and celebrations
Name Access
Congregation Knesseth Israel (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-5-4
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-5-4
Material Format
graphic material (electronic)
Physical Description
33 photographs : col. (tif)
Date
Sept. 1976
Scope and Content
Accession consists of photographs of the procession in honour of the amalgamation of the Shaarei Tefillah Synagogue and the Anshei Libavitch Synagogue. The procession started at the home of David Malkin at Bathurst and Wilson and proceeded down Bathurst Street. Identified in the photographs are: David Malkin, Abe Cohen, Alvin Malkin, Lewis Baumander, Marlee Petroff, Melody Brocklesby, Maurice Brenner, Rob Cooper, Farley Cohen, Harold Baumander, Marvin Allen, Lauryl Sandler, Stephen Cohen, and Michael Malkin.
Custodial History
Photographs were in the possession of Naomi Cooper, daughter of Abe Cohen and granddaughter of David Malkin, members of Anshei Libavitch in downtown Toronto.
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Malkin, David
Cohen, Abe
Malkin, Alvin
Baumander, Lewis
Petroff, Marlee
Brocklesby, Melody
Brenner, Maurice
Cooper, Rob
Cohen, Farley
Baumander, Harold
Allen, Marvin
Sandler, Lauryl
Cohen, Stephen
Malkin, Michael
Shaarei Tefillah Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Anshei Libavitch Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2014-8-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2014-8-3
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
1902
Scope and Content
Accession consists of textual material related to the founding of Congregation Shaarei Tzedec. The material is in the form of a booklet of the constitution of Congregation Shaarei Tzedec.
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Congregation Shaarei Tzedec (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2014-11-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2014-11-2
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder textual records
Date
1944-1971
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a newsletter from Frontier Branch 513 of the Jewish National Workers' Alliance, and several documents from Shaarei Shomayim Congregation: a Sunday religious school report card and monthly bulletins.
Subjects
Organizations
Labour and unions
Synagogues
Name Access
Jewish National Workers' Alliance (Toronto, Ont.)
Shaarei Shomayim Congregation (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2015-7-12
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2015-7-12
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
2.1 m of textual records and graphic material
Date
1904-2015
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records related to the precursor synagogues of Congregation Or Shalom: B'nai Israel and B'nai Moses ben Judah. Records include committee records, board meeting minutes, flyers and invitations, newsletters and bulletins, by-laws, sisterhood records, men's club records, photographs, Board of Education minutes, records related to the London Talmud Torah, minute books of the Daughters of Israel, correspondence, financial records and scrapbooks. There is also a small amount of material related to the National Council of Jewish Women, London Chapter and the London Jewish Community Council and Federation.
Custodial History
Records were donated to the OJA by Congregation Or Shalom, who has an archival repository at the synagogue under the guidance of Dr. Jack Rosen.
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
B'nai Israel Synagogue, (London, Ont.)
B'nai Moses ben Judah (London, Ont.)
Congregation Or Shalom (London, Ont.)
Rosen, Jack
Places
London, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2015-7-10
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2015-7-10
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
1 Oct. 1954
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one letter written by Max Greenberg to Bill Rubinstein inviting him to participate in the planning meeting for a new synagogue on North Bathurst Street, which was eventually Shaarei Teffilah founded by Max Greenberg. The letter is written on Max Greenberg's company Ideal Electric (Ontario) Ltd. letterhead.
Custodial History
This letter was given to Robert Rubinstein from his father Bill Rubinstein.
Administrative History
Bill Rubinstein (born 1908 in Szentistvan, Hungary) immigrated to Canada in September 1948 from a DP camp in Torino, Italy.
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Rubinstein, Bill
Greenberg, Max
Shaarei Tefillah Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2015-7-9
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2015-7-9
Material Format
graphic material (electronic)
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w (tif)
Date
[193-]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one digital photograph of a group of men inside Shaw Street Synagogue in the early 1930s. Identified in the image are: Avraham Calstein (far right) and Harry Weinstein (2nd from the left).
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Shaw Street Synagogue
Calstein, Avraham
Weinstein, Harry
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2015-9-18
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2015-9-18
Material Format
multiple media
Physical Description
85 cm of textual records
184 photographs : b&w and col. (tif and jpg)
ca. 200 photographs : b&w and col.
14 moving images : mov and mp4
Date
[192-]-2015, predominant 1983-2015
Scope and Content
Accession consists of the records related to the activities and operations of the First Narayever Congregation. Included are board and general meeting minutes (1984-1996); general correspondence, high holiday tickets and membership lists (1970s-1990s); membership and dues ledger (1929-1983); Ritual Committee meeting minutes (1984-1988); Implementation Committee records (1970s-1980s); constitutions (1980s); newsletters (1983-2004); a blank seat deed (1920s); a cemetery map (1950s?); records regarding burial rights for the Owen Sound Hebrew Congregation (1966-1980); records regarding a court case filed by members of the congregation surrounding the egalitarian changes being planned; an album documenting SHTICK! A Celebration of Jewish Playrights (2005-2006); an album documenting the congregation's participation in a UJA Mission to Israel (2003-2004); a binder of material containing photocopied and original records in support of the research for the congregation's 100th anniversary celebrations (1970s-2014); photographs and a video recording of the 100th Anniversary exhbition opening at the Miles Nadal JCC; photographs of events hosted by the congregation; and 9 video interviews with individuals connected to the shul conducted by Sharoni Siboney for the anniversary celebrations. Interviewees are: Peter Gold, Sharon Weintraub, Murray Teitel, Rosalyn Katz, Julia Gluck, Shaya Petroff, Stuart Schoenfeld, Sylvia Solomon and Ben Rothman. Also included are family photographs and written transcripts of oral interviews conducted with members of the Hersh Petersiel family, who lived in Hastings, Ontario and had early connections to the Narayever Congregation.
Custodial History
The records related to Hersh Petersiel were given to the First Narayever by Marsha Beck for their upcoming 100th anniversary. Marsha agreed to donate them to the OJA along with the Narayever records.
Subjects
Synagogues
Religion
Name Access
First Narayever Congregation (Toronto, Ont.)
Petersiel, Hersh
Places
Toronto, Ont.
Hastings, Ont.
Owen Sound, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2015-11-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2015-11-2
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
2015-2016
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records relating to Holy Blossom Temple and includes an Adult Education Guide (2015), L’Shanah Tovah Bulletin (2015) and Family & Youth Education Centre Programs 2015/2016 – 5776.
Administrative History
Nancy Draper is an active member of the Jewish community and has been a volunteer at the Ontario Jewish Archives for many years.
Subjects
Education
Synagogues
Name Access
Draper, Nancy
Holy Blossom Temple (Toronto, Ont.)
Places
Bathurst St. (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-1-5
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-1-5
Material Format
multiple media
Physical Description
ca. 10 cm of textual records and other material
Date
1957-2015, predominant 1974-2015
Scope and Content
Accession consists of textual and graphic material documenting Claude Heimann's immigration to Canada, career, involvement with Temple Har Zion and family life. Included are photographs, correspondence, newsletters and journals, writings and presentations by Heimann, certificates, newspaper clippings, event and conference programs, and business cards. Also included are documents with the text used for Totum Research's website.
Administrative History
Claude Heimann was born on 21 March 1944 in Johannesburg, South Africa to Wilhelm (Bill) Otto Heimann and Lotte Heimann (nee Rosenberg). He received a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Witwatersrand in 1966. In 1969, he married Adele Masail at the Pine Street Synagogue in Johannesburg. They lived in Windsor Park, Johannesburg and had two children together: Nicole Heidi (now married to Marshall Starkman) and Marc Steven.
Claude initially worked for Market Research Africa interviewing farm workers across the country. In 1971 he joined Reader's Digest in South Africa as a Research Director. Believing there would not be a peaceful solution to apartheid, Claude had decided at a young age that he would evenutally leave South Africa. He hoped that Reader's Digest was a company that might be able to transfer him to work in another country. Ten years later, in 1981, an opportunity came up with the Canadian edition of Reader's Digest in a similar role. Claude accepted the position and immigrated with his family to Toronto in May 1981. For their first few months they lived at Glengrove Manor on Yonge Street between Lawrence and Eglinton. In July, they moved into their home in Thornhill. Adele initially stayed home with the family, but eventually worked as a bookkeeper for a variety of different businesses.
Claude left Reader's Digest in 1990 to become a partner in Totum Research. Throughout his career, Claude has served on the Research Committee of PMB and has been a member of the Board of Directors of CARF for whom he served as Technical Director. He has also served on a number of other media research related committees, including the Technical Committee of AMPS and the Magazines Canada Research Committee. Claude was also active on the Board of Temple Har Zion, holding a variety of positions, including: regular Board member, Vice President for Worship, Vice President, Treasurer, President and Past President for two years on the Executive. He also reported Board decisions for the THZ monthly bulletin.
Use Conditions
Copyright may not be held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Descriptive Notes
Physical description note: includes 2.3 MB of textual records, 6 photographs, 17 slides, and 26.3 MB of photographs.
Subjects
Land, settlement and immigration
Occupations and professions
Synagogues
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-3-29
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-3-29
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
2015
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one document created by the Adath Israel Congregaion honouring the synagogue's past and present members who are veterans of the Second World War. The document lists approximately 180 names, most of whom are deceased.
Subjects
War and military
Synagogues
Name Access
Adath Israel Congregation (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-3-30
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-3-30
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
5 cm of textual records (3 vol.)
Date
1953-1956, 1960-1961
Scope and Content
Accession consists of three bound volumes of the Holy Blossom Temple Bulletin for the years September 1953 to June 1954; August 1955 to May 1956; and September 1960 to July 1961.
Custodial History
There is no information on the acquisition of these records. The accession number has been assigned by the archivist.
Descriptive Notes
RELATED MATERIAL NOTE: Holy Blossom Temple bulletins can also be found in MG3 A1.
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Holy Blossom Temple (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-3-27
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-3-27
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
30 cm of textual records
Date
1981-2014
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records of the Congregation Habonim. Included are synagogue bulletins, general correspondence with the membership, event programs and flyers, three financial statements from 1981 and 1987, and records related to invited speakers at the synagogue's breakfast club.
Administrative History
Congregation Habonim Toronto, founded in 1954, is a liberal synagogue located at 5 Glen Park Avenue in Toronto, and one of the first Holocaust refugee/survivor congregations to develop in Canada. Although currently independent of any official denomination, its early founders modeled the synagogue on the example of early Reform Judaism in Germany.
Most of the early members were refugees from Central Europe: some were Holocaust survivors; some were part of the Kindertransport. All arrived in Canada after the Second World War and began to frequent the New World Club, an organization that was dedicated to helping these newcomers settle into Canadian life. In 1953, they organized High Holiday services, and in 1954, they began to hold regular religious services. In 1955, the Congregation was officially chartered. They began holding services in rented premises at 44 St. George Street, Toronto and then moved to the Borochov Centre on Lippincott Street. In 1958, the present building at 5 Glen Park Avenue was rented, and then purchased in 1968.
One of its founders and first President was George Spitz, a Jewish refugee from Berlin, who unsuccessfully attempted to bring over his family from Germany in 1939 on the ill-fated MS St. Louis. Paul Alexander, also a refugee of Berlin, was an early Vice-President of the synagogue. Some of the notable figures associated with the Congregation are Esther Ghan Firestone, the first female cantor in Canada; Rabbi Reuben Slonim (author, and also associate editor of The Toronto Telegram), known for his outspoken views on the Israeli-Arab conflict; Cantor Henry Weingluck, a well known artist who was a pupil of Max Liebermann; and Avrum Rosensweig, founder of Ve’ahavta, the Canadian Jewish Humanitarian Relief Organization.
The synagogue makes its facilities available to a number of other organizations, including Ve’ahavta, co-sponsoring a Passover Seder for the Homeless every year and the Toronto Partnership Minyan, an Orthodox egalitarian initiative in Toronto spearheaded by Professor Martin Lockshin, and has co-sponsored events with other organizations outside the Jewish community such as Free the Children and Me to We. The Congregation supports a choir, the Habonim Youth Choir and is also home to Canada's only multi-denominational introductory conversion course.
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Congregation Habonim (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-4-21
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-4-21
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
2006-2016
Scope and Content
Accession consists of textual records documenting the history and activities of Holy Blossom Temple. Included are synagogue bulletins (2014-2016), pamphlets and a calendar of events. Of note are a series of pamphlets created by the Holy Blossom Temple Archives Committee on various topics including, the history of the synagogue, the synagogue building, the history of education at the synagogue and early founders/leaders (Edmund Scheuer, Abraham Nordheimer, Lewis Samuel, Sigmund Samuel, Alfred Benjamin, and Frank D. Benjamin).
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Holy Blossom Temple (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-2-4
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-2-4
Material Format
textual record
textual record (electronic)
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
33.2 MB of textual records
Date
1969-2002
Scope and Content
Accession consists of textual records documenting the history and professional activities of Cy (Cyril) Charney and his family. Included is an autobiographical family history entitled "My Story" and a variety of documents that trace Cy's career including promotional materials from university courses that he taught; a curriculum vitae; copies of his university diplomas; management-related lecture programs; various certificates of achievement; and newspaper clippings.
Custodial History
Material was in possession of Cy Charney. Cy donated it to the OJA.
Administrative History
Cy (Cyril) Charney was was born on November 21st, 1944 in Johannesburg, South Africa to Daniel and Dora Charney. His parents emigrated from Lithuania to SA before the Second World War. Cy's family moved to Bulawayo in 1950 where his father founded the Anglo African Glass company. The family was involved with the community and were members of the Weitzman Country Club. Cy’s family moved back to Johannesburg after the sudden passing of his father in November of 1954.
Throughout his youth, Cy was involved in South African Zionist organizations. During his early years and into young adulthood he was part of Habonim, the Zionist Socialist movement. He then went on to join the Hebrew Order of David.
Cy married Rhona on March 26th, 1967. Shortly after the Six-Day War, the couple went to make aliyah in Israel. They relocated to Kibbutz Givat Chaim Bet, close to Hadera, some 50 km north of Tel Aviv. Their stay lasted six months and then they returned to SA where Cy worked in insurance. The Charneys had three chlidren who were all born in SA: Daneal (b. 6 February 1961), Thalia (b. 9 July 1970), and Davin (b. 28 May 1972). The Charneys have two granddaughters, Yael and Limona.
As the political situation in SA began to deteriorate in 1976, the Charneys decided to emigrate to Canada. Cy first arrived in London, Ontario upon arrival to Canada and then chose to settle in Toronto in mid-1980. Rhona and the children arrived three months later and in the meantime, Cy had found work with Loblaws. After a year, Cy sought different work opportunities with the Thorne, Stevenson, and Kellogg management consulting group. He then went on to start his own consulting business. Rhona has a Masters in Social Work and has pursued her profession.
The Charneys have been part of Temple Kol Ami since 1993.
Use Conditions
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Subjects
Land, settlement and immigration
Personal and family life
Synagogues
Societies and associations
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-5-8
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-5-8
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
1 photograph : col. ; 20 x 25 cm
Date
1982-1990, 2015
Scope and Content
Accession consists of graphic and textual records documenting the Judelman family and Alan Judelman's involvement with the Men’s Service Group at Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care. Documents include a family photograph (Jan. 2015); two issues of the Baycrest News (December 1982 and May 1990); and an invitation to the 1990 Men’s Service Group at Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care Annual Dinner and Installation of Officers.
Custodial History
Material was in possession of Alan and Lin Judelman. The Judelmans donated it to the OJA.
Administrative History
Alan (b. 1939) and Linda (b. 1945, nee Galland) Judelman were born in Johannesburg, South Africa. They were married on January 5th, 1965. Alan was trained as a chartered account and Lin completed a B.A. degree at Witwatersrand University and teacher training. The Judelmans have three children who were all born in SA: Andrew, Vanessa and Greg.
In 1978, political unrest in SA prompted the Judelmans to emigrate. Upon immigration to Canada, the family settled in North York. Alan graduated as a chartered accountant in Canada and eventually went on to start an environmental services company (Diproinduca Canada). Lin re-trained as a teacher and pursued a B.Ed. at York University. She specialized in ESL, history and guidance over the course of her 21 year career at the TDSB.
Alan was actively involved with the Men’s Service Group at Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care in his capacity as the organization’s president. He volunteered with HAIT (organization that promotes head injury awareness and knowledge) and served on the Bernard Betel Centre for Creative Living Board of Directors. The Judelmans are members of the Beth Tikvah synagogue and Alan has also volunteered with the congregation.
Use Conditions
Copyright may not be held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Subjects
Land, settlement and immigration
Societies and associations
Synagogues
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-6-12
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-6-12
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
Physical Description
ca. 60 cm of textual records
11 photographs (3 negatives) : b&w ; 20 x 25 cm or smaller
Date
1976-[ca. 1990]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of textual and graphic records that trace Natan Sharansky's history as a prisoner of political conscience; the broader Refusenik issue; and the community advocacy efforts of Debby and Stan Solomon from 1976 and into the late 1980s at the local, national and international scales. Included are memos and newsletters from the Committee for Soviet Jewry (Ontario Region and national-level); background information as well as petition templates, speeches and planning documentation produced by the Committee to Release Anatoly Sharansky and the Beth Tikvah Synagogue in conjunction with community organizations, including the CJC and its Soviet Jewry social action committees, to support on-going advocacy efforts; correspondence with Canadian and American political representatives at the provincial/state and national levels; white papers/grey literature from non-governmental organizations about the persecution of the Soviet Jewry; planning documentation from the First Annual Sharansky Lectureship on Human Rights in 1980; correspondence, articles and ephemera associated with the granting of Sharansky's honourary law doctorate from York University in 1982; 1985 Freedom Rally/Weekend in Ottawa planning documentation and correspondence; 1987 National Conference on the Soviet Jewry and Mobilization for Freedom planning documentation; 1987 Community Rally at Massey Hall promotional materials; and promotional materials from Sharansky's autobiographical "Fear No Evil" 1988 book launch. Graphic material includes photographs of Sharansky's release during the February 11, 1986 American-Soviet prisoner exchange on the Glienicke Bridge in Berlin.
Identified in the photographs are: Debby Solomon; Alan Solomon; Natan Sharansky; Avital Sharansky; U.S. Ambassador Richard Burt;
Custodial History
Material was collected and/or created by Debby Solomon, Natan Sharansky's cousin. Debby donated it to the OJA.
Administrative History
Debby Solomon is the cousin of Anatoly (Natan) Sharansky, the Soviet born Israeli politician, human activist and author who spent nine years in Soviet prisons. Debby's father Boris Landis (born 1900) and Sharansky's father were first cousins.Their grandfathers were brothers. Debby's father immigrated 1929 to Toronto from Russia as his older brothers were already in Toronto. Debby and her husband Stan Solomon got involved in the community's activism efforts to free Sharansky and other Refuseniks.They were worked for many years on these efforts by planning programs through their synagogue Beth Tikvah and with Sam Filer, a lawyer and volunteer at the CJC who was also a member of Beth Tikvah.
Subjects
Anti-Semitism and discrimination
Politics and government
Civil and human rights
Rallies, demonstrations and protests
Synagogues
Boards and committees
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-3-48
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-3-48
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
15 photographs : b&w and col.
Date
[196-?]-1985
Scope and Content
Accession consists of photographs of the Kiever Synagogue. There are 12 images in black and white of both the exterior and the interior. These photos appear to be from the 1960s. There are also three colour photographs, two of which are of the exterior and one of which is of the interior during a service.
Custodial History
There is no information on the acquisition of this material. There is a name on the envelope that holds the photographs but the name cannot be deciphered.
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Rodfei Sholom Anshe Kiev Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Kiever Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Places
Toronto, Ontario
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-5-14
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-5-14
Material Format
architectural drawing
Physical Description
1 drawing : pencil ; 46 x 43 cm
Date
[ca. 1911]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a demonstration drawing by architect Benjamin Brown of a synagogue, that bears some resemblance to a later design proposal for Beth Jacob Synagogue. The drawing is of the synagogue's facade. This drawing was likely done when Brown was a student at the University of Toronto, School of Practical Science.
Custodial History
This drawing was part of the larger Benjamin Brown collection, but was not part of the original donation in 1987. It was framed and hanging in Jay Levine's office for many years.
Subjects
Buildings and structures
Synagogues
Name Access
Brown, Benjamin
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-8-9
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-8-9
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Physical Description
1.3 m of textual records
ca. 50 architectural drawings
Date
1974-2016
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records documenting the activities, programs and governance of Shaar Shalom Synagogue. Included are financial statements, meeting minutes, by-laws, brochures, architectural drawings, reports, membership lists, forms filled in by participants in life cycle events (such as weddings and conversions), holiday bulletins, invitations, speeches, Yizkor booklets, office manuals and correspondence. Of note is a land title document from 1981.
Administrative History
Shaar Shalom Synagogue was a conservative synagogue in Markham founded in 1972. The synagogue closed in 2016.
Use Conditions
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Shaar Shalom Synagogue (Markham, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-7-11
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-7-11
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
architectural drawing
Physical Description
ca. 6 m textual records and graphic material
ca. 20 architectural drawings
Date
1972-2016
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records documenting the activities, programs and governance of Shaar Shalom Synagogue. Included are financial records, meeting minutes and agendas, architectural drawings, general administrative files, and photographs.
Administrative History
Shaar Shalom Synagogue was a conservative synagogue in Markham founded in 1972. The synagogue closed in 2016.`
Use Conditions
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Shaar Shalom Synagogue (Markham, Ont.)
Places
Markham, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-9-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-9-3
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
13 cm of textual records
5 photographs : b&w and col. ; 21 x 26 or smaller
Date
1912-2015
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records documenting the life of Pearl Freedhoff. The bulk of the material are speeches and other writings related to Pearl's position as President of the Goel Tzedec Sisterhood around 1949-1950, as well as material related to her role with the Eastern Canadian Branch of the Women's League of the United Synagogue. Also included is Pearl's hand-written memoir and the final bound copy edited by her daughter Judith Golden. The remaining records relate to Pearl's work as a travel guide and organizer of trips to Israel, East Asia, and the Lido Spa in Florida; dance cards from the 1920s; a small amount of personal correspondence with a friend living in England; Pearl and Samuel's wedding invitation; a letter to Pearl and her sister Hilda from their mother, Esther; newsclippings; photographs; and a book won as a second place prize by Pearl at Edmund Scheuer's Zionist girls' school.
Administrative History
Pearl (nee Narrol) Freedhoff (17 Sept. 1906-18 Dec. 1997) was born in 1906, the daughter of Harry and Esther (nee Newman) Narrol. She had four siblings: Albert, Gertie, Hilda (m. Spivak), and Mendell (died as infant). Pearl married Dr. Samuel Osias Freedhoff (24 July 1903-19 Feb. 1973) in 1927 and had two children: Stephen and Judith. Samuel was the son of Harry and Mollie (nee Bohnen) Freedhoff. Pearl graduated from the University of Toronto, School of Social Work and Samuel graduated from the School of Dentistry. Both were members of Goel Tzedec Synagogue with Pearl serving as Sisterhood President in 1949-1950 and Samuel as President of the Men's Club in 1952.
Subjects
Personal and family life
Synagogues
Name Access
Freedhoff, Pearl, 1906-1997
Freedhoff, Samuel, 1903-1973
Goel Tzedec Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-11-14
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-11-14
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
12 cm textual records
Date
1929-1991
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records documenting the history and activities of the Minsker Farband and Adath Shalom Synagogue. Included are a 50th anniversary booklet (1976), 60th anniversary booklet (1986), 65th anniversary booklet (1991) and photocopies of clippings from the Sunday Sun articles dated June 17, [1979] and May 13, 1995 reporting on the men and women (who are well beyond the age of 13) who participated in a group bar and bat mitzvah ceremony, initiated by Cantor Martin Rosenblum who participated in the ceremony as well. Records from the Minsker Farband include a navy leather bound manuscript book with "Young Minsker Social Club" embossed on the cover. "The Book of Life is Presented by William and Charlotte Kaplan in Memory of Libba Elka Kaplan, 26 JUN 1954, Ann Kaplan Goldblatt, 9 JAN 1959 and Chiam Libetsky, 13 DEC 1930. Each page of the book of life lists milestone celebrations, birth announcements and memorials. All entries were hand written in calligraphy from (1961-1968). In addition, there are two minute books handwritten in Yiddish for the periods 1929-1932 and 1935-37; meeting and executive meeting minute books and membership lists including organizations participating in The Young Mens' Minsker Farband (1948-1949); Young Men's Social Club Membership cards listing names, addresses, businesses or employers and other affiliations (1948 to 1953); an invitation and programme for Oneg Shabbat and Shabbat Morning services in honour of the 65th Anniversary of Adath Sholom Synagogue and the 25th Anniversary tribute to Cantor and Spiritual Leader Martin Rosenblum (1991); a timeline on the history of the Minsker Farband handwritten on a note pad by Ms. Bev Breslow; and an unidentified photocopy of a photograph.
Custodial History
The Adath Shalom Synagogue records belonged to donor Shae Eckler. The Minsker Farband records were given to Shae's husban Morey Eckler [between1995 and 2000]. Shae could not recall the name of the original donor.
Administrative History
The Minsker Farband was established in 1926 by a small group of men who hailed from the town of Minsk, Russia. In 1927, the wives formed the Minsker Farband Ladies' Auxiliary. (Information as transcribed from the notes of Ms. Bev Breslow).
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Minsker Farband (Toronto, Ont.)
Adath Shalom Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2015-7-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2015-7-1
Material Format
textual record
moving images
graphic material (electronic)
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records and other material
Date
1987, 1998-2009
Scope and Content
Accession consists of material documenting the history and events of the Kehillat Shaarei Torah. Included are event invitations, programs, and booklets. Of note is the synagogue's 18th anniversary booklet. Also included are VHS tapes and DVDs of the following events: a Purim celebration featuring a mock wedding (2007), the farewell tribute dinner to Rabbi and Rebbetzin Reuven and Joyce Tradburks and family (2009), the Flo Urbach tribute dinner, the synagogue's 18th anniversary celebrations (1999) and an event honouring Margaret Klompas (2004). Finally, accession includes a CD with images from the Abe Goldberg Torah Dedication (2006).
Administrative History
Kehillat Shaarei Torah is a modern Orthodox congregation that was founded in Toronto in 1980. Most of the early founders and members were recent immigrants from South Africa who had settled in the Bayview-Leslie-York Mills-Shepard area. Unable to find a congregation in their area that reflected their Orthodox traditions from South Africa, they formed their own minyan. They initially met in living rooms and basements and in 1987 opened the synagogue's building at 2640 Bayview Avenue.
Descriptive Notes
Physical description note: Includes 3 videocassettes (VHS), 2 DVDs, and 1 CD (103 photographs)
Subjects
Events and celebrations
Land, settlement and immigration
Synagogues
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-8-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-8-1
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
Physical Description
9 cm of textual records
25 photographs : col., sepia and b&w ; 21 x 26 cm
1 crayon enlargment portrait : col. ; 12 x 19 cm
Date
1925-2003
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a colour crayon enlargement portrait of Bessie and Joseph Brown, "A Tribute to Bessie Brown" photograph album (Beth Jacob Synagogue and Sisterhood, Kitchener Ontario, 1976), photographs of Joseph, Bessie and Phillip Brown and [Beth Jacob Congregation's Sisterhood?] in 1964, a certificate of service and affiliaton at Beth Jacob for Bessie Brown, and newsletters from Beth Jacob and Beth Tikvah in Montreal (1980-2004).
Custodial History
Materials were donated by Cantor Avraham Fisher, who served at Beth Jacob from 1985-1994 and was a friend of the Brown family.
Administrative History
Bessie and Joesph Brown lived in Kitchener, Ontario. They had two children: Harry (b. 1926-?) and Phillip (1930-1939).
Descriptive Notes
ASSOCIATED MATERIAL NOTE: Bessie, Joseph and Harry Brown appear in Beth Jacob membership lists in accession 2008-6-7
Subjects
Synagogues
Personal and family life
Name Access
Brown, Joseph
Brown, Bessie
Brown, Harry
Brown, Phillip, 1930-1939
Beth Jacob Congregation (Kitchener, Ont.)
Places
Kitchener, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1977-5-8
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1977-5-8
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
36 photographs (1 vol., 10 negatives) : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm or smaller
Date
[192-?]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one photo album that belonged to Yankel Jessel. This album was presented to him in 1927 by his friends as a going away gift before he left for Palestine. The album consists of 16 photographs depicting synagogues from Toronto including: Shomrei Shabbos, Goel Tzedec, the Shaw Street Synagogue, Holy Blossom, the McCaul Street Synagogue, Beth Jacob, the Ostrovtzer Synagogue, the Russian Synagogue on Centre Avenue, and the Hebrew Men of England Congregation. Also included in the album are photographs of the auditorium of the Hebrew Free School Temple Emanuel and Shearith Israel Synagogues in New York City, a synagogue in Brooklyn, NY, and the Englewood Synagogue in New Jersey. There are copy prints and negatives of the photos depicting Toronto institutions as well as an additional print and copy negative of staff standing in front of United Bakers on Spadina Avenue.
Use Conditions
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Subjects
Synagogues
Places
Toronto, Ont.
New York, USA
New Jersey, USA
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1977-8-12
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1977-8-12
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
Physical Description
28 photographs : col (20 negatives) ; 9 x 13 cm and 35 mm
1 folder of textual records
Date
1955-[ca.1970]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records related to the B'nai Jacob Congregation Sisterhood of Niagara Falls, Ontario. Included are general and executive meeting minutes as well as photographs of a Shavuot event at the synagogue. Beverly Blackstien is identified in one of the photographs.
Subjects
Synagogues
Women
Name Access
B'nai Jacob Congregation
Places
Niagara Falls, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1989-10-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1989-10-2
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
7 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records relating to Ralph Milrod's involvement in Beth Tzedec Synagogue and the various court cases of the early 1970s arising from the dismissal of Rabbi Stuart Rosenberg.
Subjects
Synagogues
Law and justice
Name Access
Milrod, Ralph
Rosenthal, Stuart E.
Beth Tzedec Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Places
Toronto, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1974-002
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1974-002
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
1928
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a certified copy issued in 1928 of the Letters Patent incorporating Machziki Hadas Congregation in 1909.
MG_RG
MG3 A6
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Machziki Hadas Congregation (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1975-003
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1975-003
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
1926-1971
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records pertaining to the Beach Hebrew Institute (Beth Jacob Synagogue). Included is a Land Title Act docmenting the history of the parcel of land at Queen St. and Kenilworth Ave. from 1919 and the congregation's financial arrangements with the Mutual Life Assurance Company and the United Jewish Wellfare Fund. There are letters patent, legal correspondence, and financial reports.
MG_RG
MG3 A21
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Beach Hebrew Institutue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1975-005
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1975-005
Physical Description
15 cm of textual records
Date
1928, 1936-1959
Scope and Content
Accession consists of the account books and constitution for the Adath Israel Congregation in Kirkland Lake, Ontario.
MG_RG
MG 3 B 14
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Adath Israel Synagogue (Kirkland Lake, Ont.)
Places
Kirkland Lake, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1975-006
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1975-006
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
3 cm of textual records
Date
1912-1922
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a financial and meeting minute ledger book (1912-1922) and a photocopy of a financial and meeting minute ledger book (1914-1922) of the B'nai Zion Synagogue in Cobalt, Ontario.
MG_RG
MG3 B15
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
B'nai Zion Synagogue (Cobalt, Ont.)
Places
Cobalt, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1975-015
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1975-015
Material Format
object
Physical Description
1 name plaque
Date
[193-?]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of "M. Gebirtig" name plaque from the Beaches Hebrew Institute synagogue of Toronto. The plaque is gold and black metal.
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Beach Hebrew Institutue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1976-6-4
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1976-6-4
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
6 photographs : b&w
Date
[ca. 1901]-1952
Scope and Content
Accession consists of photographs of B'nai Israel Congregation in Galt, Ont. (now Cambridge, Ont.).
Use Conditions
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
B'nai Israel Congregation (Galt, Ont.)
Places
Galt, Ont.
Cambridge, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1979-9-10
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1979-9-10
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
3 cm of textual records
Date
1941-1960
Scope and Content
Accession consists of 2 minute books containing the minutes from Kenora Jewish community meetings and Kenora Synagogue executive meetings, along with some financial records. Accession also includes synagogue executive correspondence in both English and Yiddish.
MG_RG
MG 3 B20
Subjects
Boards and committees
Synagogues
Small communities
Places
Kenora, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1979-9-18
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1979-9-18
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
1958-1976
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one program to a Celestial Ball held at the Agudath Israel Synagogue in Ottawa, an invitation a Cinderella Ball at the synagogue, invitations to the new synagogue's sod-turning ceremony, installation dinner and dedication ceremonies, bulletins, and a sisterhood newsletter.
MG_RG
MG3 B13
Subjects
Synagogues
Events and celebrations
Name Access
Agudath Israel Synagogue (Ottawa, Ont.)
Places
Ottawa, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1979-9-34
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1979-9-34
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
1967-1972
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one program for the dedication of a mural by Ronald Satok at the Shomrai Shaboth Synagogue, a twentieth testimonial dinner book honouring Rabbi Gedalia Felder, and a letter to the membership about a booklet written by Rabbi I. Rabinowitch of Montreal.
MG_RG
MG 3 A 11
Subjects
Synagogues
Events and celebrations
Name Access
Shomrai Shabbos Synagogue
Felder, Gedalia
Rabinowitch, I.
Satok, Ronald
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1979-9-37
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1979-9-37
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
2 cm of textual records (1 vol.)
Date
1969
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a book entitled "History of Beth Jacob Congregation, 1896-1969", published in honour of the Hamilton congregation's 80th anniversary.
Administrative History
Beth Jacob Congregation was founded in 1886 by an Orthodox faction of the Reform Congregation Anshe Sholom, who withdrew from the congregation three years earlier to form an Orthodox minyan, due to differing views on the celebration of Rosh Hashanah.
Descriptive Notes
Beth Jacob Congregation.
Hamilton.
Multicultural History Society of Ontario.
Subjects
Synagogues
Events and celebrations
Name Access
Beth Jacob Congregation (Hamilton, Ont.)
Places
Hamilton, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1982-9-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1982-9-2
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
7 microfilm reels
Date
1856-1969
Scope and Content
Accession consists of seven microfilm reals documenting the early years of Holy Blossom Temple in Toronto. Reels are as follows:
Reel 1: Minutes, 1856-1901; Building Committee, 1894-1897.
Reel 2: Minutes, 1894-1900; Collection Books, 1902-1919; By-laws and Minutes, 1939-1956; By-laws for Holy Blossom Cemeteries; Minutes, 1930-1947; Building Committee, 1937; New Synagogue, 1938.
Reel 3: By-laws and Minutes, 1939-1956.
Reel 4: Register of Toronto Hebrew Congregation; Births, 1857-1868; Marriages, 1851-1894; Burials, 1848 -1900; Large Marriage Register 1858 -1878; By-laws 1876-? (Handwritten), 1894, 1904, 1929, 1949,1955 (printed); By-laws Cemeteries ?-1921; Cash Books, 1900; Monthly Cash Books, 1919; Letterpress copy book and instructions for use; Records and letters from 1891; Letterbooks, 1891-1894; Aliyah Book (which is a small hard cover indexed book containing names of members in English and Hebrew, used for calling members to bless and read the Torah) ca. 1890; January 1921- Ecumenical Service; February 1928- first Canadian exchange of pulpits with Rev. E. Crossley Hunter of Carlton Street United Church and Rabbi Abraham Feinberg participating; Toronto Hebrew Ladies Sick and Benevolent Society Minutes instituted in January 1868, original charter 9 July 1877, later became Toronto Hebrew Benevolent Society; Centennial preparation, committee, service, memorials and interview reports with older members of the congregation.
Reel 5: Collection Books, 1884 -1919.
Reel 6: Officers' Minutes, 1952-1964; Board and Annual Meeting Minutes, 1964-1965; Board Minutes, 1966-1967; Board of Trustees Minutes, 1968-1969; Officers, Trustees & Committee Chairmen; Minutes, 1965-1969.
Reel 7: 11 May 1967 onward
MG_RG
MG 3 A1
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Holy Blossom Temple (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2005-8-4
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2005-8-4
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
1907
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a Goel Tzedec Synagogue seat deed for Harry Yanover, purchased in 1907.
Administrative History
Goel Tzedec was established in 1883. It was originally an orthodox congregation founded by a group of recent immigrants from Lithuania and was first situated in a room at Richmond and York Streets. Three years later a former Methodist church at University Avenue at Elm Street was purchased and remodelled. In 1904 the congregation hired an architect to construct a new building and in February of 1907, the synagogue on University Avenue was dedicated. It became the largest synagogue in Toronto, accomodating 1200 congregants.
During the early decades of the twentieth century, Goel Tzedec became more ethnically mixed and established a religious school and women's auxiliary to help raise money and run special events. In 1925, the congregation joined the Conservative Synagogue Movement and introduced changes to its services.
In September of 1952, Goel Tzedec and its sister synagogue Beth Hamidrash Hagadol, amalgamated to form Beth Tzedec.
Harry Yanover was the grandfather of Rayna Rabin.
Subjects
Synagogues
Religion
Name Access
Yanover, Harry
Goel Tzedec Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2007-6-38
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2007-6-38
Material Format
textual record (electronic)
Physical Description
6 documents (13 jpgs)
Date
1948-1991
Scope and Content
This accession consists of electronic copies of original textual records, documenting the Jewish community of Owen Sound, Ontario. The records include a community draw ticket (1959); the Canadian Jewish Congress Educational Department code of practice, for discussion at the sixth regional conference on Jewish education (1957); a page from a donation ledger for the United Palestine Appeal (1948); the Beth Ezekiel Synagogue historic plaquing program book (1991); and an employment contract between the Synagogue and Rabbi H. Lasher (1962).
Custodial History
The original records are in the possession of the donor. The OJA was granted permission to scan the documents in June 2007, as part of the Ontario Small Jewish Communities initiative. These copies were then donated to the Archives on 2007-06-11.
Administrative History
Jeff Elie is the current president of Beth Ezekiel Synagogue in Owen Sound. For a history of the Synagogue and the Owen Sound Jewish community, see the OJA's Small Communities Exhbit: http://ontariojewisharchives.org/exhibits/osjc/communities/owensound/index.html
Use Conditions
Copyright may not be held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Subjects
Synagogues
Small communities
Name Access
Beth Ezekiel Synagogue
Places
Owen Sound, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2007-6-31
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2007-6-31
Material Format
textual record (electronic)
Physical Description
1 document (4 jpgs) : col.
Date
[19--]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of scanned copy of the constitution of the B'nai Jacob Congregation of Niagara Falls, 4 pages in four separate files.
Subjects
Synagogues
Small communities
Name Access
B'nai Jacob Congregation (Niagara Falls, Ont.)
Places
Niagara Falls, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2009-3-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2009-3-2
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
Physical Description
6 photographs : b&w ; 52 x 20 cm or smaller
1 textual record
Date
[193-]-1961
Scope and Content
Accession consists of six photographs related to the Glass and Fine families. Included are graduation portraits of Al and Benjamin (Benny) Waxman, a photo of Moishe Glass and an unidentified man in front of Max Federman's election office, a photo of the Fine family inside the McCaul St. Synagogue, a photo of the Borochov choir, and a photo of the Tzosmerer Friendly Society (also known as the Sandomirez Friendly Society). The accession also consists of a blotter for a gala concert at the Standard Theatre featuring comedian L. Malach.
Use Conditions
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Subjects
Personal and family life
Societies and associations
Synagogues
Name Access
Federman, Max
Waxman, Benjamin
Waxman, Al
Fine family
Glass family
Standard Theatre
Beth Hamidrash Hagadol Synagogue
Tzosmerer Friendly Society
Source
Archival Accessions
50 records – page 1 of 1.

Narrow By

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Place

Restrictions

Available Digital Content

}