2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 11 x 8 cm and 12 x 10 cm
Ida Siegel (nee Lewis) (1885-1982) was born 14 February 1885 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Originally from Lithuania, her parents Samuel and Hannah Ruth (nee Ticktin) Lewis immigrated to the United States in the mid-1880s with their two sons, Abe and Charles. Ida was the only Lewis child to be born in the United States. In 1894, Ida and her family moved to Toronto. Ida was educated in both Pittsburgh and Toronto public schools and attended the University of Toronto.
On 14 February 1905, Ida married Isidore Hirsch Siegel at the Elm Street Synagogue. They had 6 children: Rohama, Leah Gittel (Labovitz), David Isar, Sarah (Sairlee), Avrom Fichel, Rivka Hadassah.
An extremely active communal leader, Ida helped found the Daughters of Zion, the first ladies Zionist society in Canada, in 1899. She was also responsible for founding the Herzl Girls Club in 1904 and Hadassah in 1916. She was instrumental in the organization of the first free Jewish dispensary in Toronto, located on Elizabeth Street in the Ward. This eventually developed into Mount Sinai Hospital. Ida was also very active in womens peace movements and the Toronto Board of Education (elected to Board, 1930-36) and the Toronto Bureau of Jewish Education (honorary secretary). In 1917, Ida helped to organize a fundraising body for the Jewish community known as the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies. This would later become the UJA Federation of Greater Toronto.
Scope and Content
The item is a portrait of Ida Siegel.
Siegel, Ida, 1885-1982 (subject)
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.