8 photographs : b&w and col. ; 21 x 25 cm or smaller
Baycrest's library officially opened in May 1957; however library services were available to residents as early as 1956. The library distributed complimentary local newspapers to residents on a daily basis, and once a week a volunteer visited residents with the book cart so that those unable to make it to the library could access its material. A Talmudic Study Group met in the library every afternoon and a Yiddish reading group met in the library twice a week. The Library Committee's first Chairmen were Hilda Spivak and Frances Wintrob.
Scope and Content
File consists of photographs and textual records documenting the operation and activities of Baycrest's library for residents. Included are meeting notices and minutes, correspondence, event invitations, bookmarks of the Jewish Public Library, and material related to the library's involvement in Toronto's first Jewish Book Fair. Also included are images of the Talmudic Study Group meetings and library staff.