The Lizzies were a collection of sports teams that played amateur baseball and basketball in Toronto starting in 1912. They started playing in the school yard of the Hester Howe School, more commonly known as the Elizabeth Street School. A recreation centre was built at the north end of Bickford Park and was named in their honour, the Elizabethan Recreational Centre in 1913.
Bob Abate was coach of the Lizzies' teams for 26 years; In 1990, the centre was renamed in his honour to the Bob Abate Recreation Centre. Mr. Armstrong was the superintendent of the playground for the City of Toronto.
Scope and Content
Photograph of the Lizzies bantam basketball team after they won the city championships.
Members included: B. Hillier, N. Henick, A. Rotman, B. Sherky, H. Dembrofsky, D. Greenberg, J. Cooperbloom, R. Abate, S. Linzon, M.Stern, D. Sugar, R. Strom, Mr. Armstrong.
Title was assigned by archivist using information taken from photo inscription.
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.