Max Wolfe began peddling fruit and vegetables as a young man; he purchased a horse and wagon and would buy his produce from the Toronto Wholesale Fruit Market. In 1909, he bought a building at 613 Queen St. and starting selling wholesale produce with his cousin Osher Weinstein. After this business folded, Max and his brother Maurice started a new business selling oats, hay, grains and potatoes. In 1914, this business expanded and they began selling general produce under the name of Ontario Produce Company. After the Second World War, they expanded the business again into a grocery firm and changed the name to the Oshawa Wholesale Limited. This business was very successful, and eventually the brothers acquired the IGA franchise.
Max was married to Beatrice Albert in 1936. They had two children named Phyllis and Harold.
Max was a long time member of Beth Tzedec Congregation and the predecessor Beth Hamidrash Hagadol. An annual scholarship is awarded in his name through the Hy Cooper Trust Fund of Beth Tzedec's Men's Club to a student seeking to pursue Jewish Studies.
In 1966, Max and Maurice were honoured at a testimonial dinner by the Toronto Wholesale Fruit Produce Merchants Association. They were awarded the Celebrity of the Year Award in 1969 by the Sportsmen's Lodge, B'nai B'rith.
Scope and Content
Item consists of a photograph of Max and Maurice Wolfe inside the Toronto Wholesale Fruit Market. The Wolfe brothers are positioned in the forefront, and appear to be engaged in a business transaction concerning a crate of strawberries. The portrait looks staged and may have been used for an advertisement or a newspaper article featuring the Wolfe brothers.
Toronto Wholesale Fruit Market
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.