The Meyer W. Gasner Memorial Scholarship Fund was established in 1974, and incorporated in 1977. The fund was named in honour of Meyer Gasner (1906-1974), a successful businessman and leader in the Toronto Jewish community. Gasner always took a great interest in Jewish education, was one of the founders of Associated Hebrew Schools, and served on the board of the BJE. The fund provided scholarships for post-secondary Jewish education to students who intended to pursue a career in Jewish education. Sam Sable and Rabbi Irwin Witty were the initiators of the fund and served as officers of the corporation. Other officers included the well-known philanthropists Kurt Rothschild and Joseph Tanenbaum. Although the fund was not formally affiliated with the BJE, BJE staff carried out routine administrative work for the fund, distributed application forms and accepted applications, which were then passed on to the Meyer W. Gasner Memorial Scholarship Committee for consideration. The first scholarships were awarded in 1976.
Raising the capital funds needed to support the regular awarding of scholarships proved difficult. The committee was unable to award scholarships every year, and not in the amounts they would have liked. The fund continued to operate until 1998, and granted scholarships to approximately 200 students during its existence. At the end of 1998, the fund ceased operations and its remaining assets were transferred to the UJA Federation's Meyer W. Gasner/Joe Berman Educational Scholarship Fund.
Scope and Content
The series documents the founding of the fund, its financial performance over the years, and the decisions of the scholarship fund committee in awarding scholarships. The series consists of committee meeting minutes, audited financial statements, correspondence with committee members and scholarship applicants, and promotional material for the scholarship. The files in the series are arranged chronologically.