96 photographs : b&w and col. (10 negatives) ; 21 x 26 or smaller
Bill Stern was the director of activities for the Hamilton Jewish Community Centre (JCC) from 1956-1960. He was the director of the JCC from 1963-1964 and then executive director of the Hamilton Council of Jewish Organizations (CJO) from 1964-1973.
He arrived in Hamilton as a graduate in social work, specializing in group work and camping activities. He played a major role in developing the Hamilton Jubilee Club, a senior day centre, kosher meals-on-wheels, an expanded camping program, and the Hamilton Council of Jewish Education. He was responsible for the separation of the JCC and the CJO, and the establishment of the CJO's successor, the Hamilton Jewish Federation.
Scope and Content
This series consists of photographs of the Hamilton Jewish community, taken during Bill Stern's professional involvement with the Hamilton Jewish Community Centre and the Hamilton Council of Jewish Organizations. There are also a few images that Bill had acquired that were taken shortly before his arrival and shortly after his departure.
The images depict various Hamilton community members, as well as CJO and community centre events and meetings. They have been arranged chronologically and described at the file and item level.