2 architectural drawings : blueprints ; 40 cm length or smaller and 4 cm diam.
Percy Hermant was born in Mogilev, Russia in 1882. In 1897, he immigrated to Canada, arriving in New Brunswick, where he began working as a drygoods peddler. In 1900, he founded the Imperial Optical Company, the first prescription lens business in the Maritimes. This company eventually grew to be the largest company of its kind in the British Commonwealth. The head office was located in the Hermant Building (named for Percy) at 21 Dundas Square. In addition to his successful business, Mr. Hermant served as the director of both the Mount Sinai and Runnymede hospitals. He was also a member of the Toronto Board of Trade and other established societies such as the Primrose, and Empire Clubs.
Mr. Hermant was very active in philanthropy and involved in the funding and establishment of the Young Men's Hebrew Association (YMHA), and in the funding of the Associated Hebrew Universities. Mr. Hermant also established several scholarships at the University of Toronto, including the Percy Hermant Fellowship in Ophthalmology for graduates of Medicine who wish to pursue ophthalmology as a profession. Mr. Hermant died in 1959 and was survived by his wife Dorothy, son Sydney and four grandchildren.
Scope and Content
File consists of two block plans for a storage building at 179 Ontario Street for Percy Hermant.
Benjamin Brown's office was also located in the Hermant building during the 1940s.
See File 49-3-97 for the architectural drawings of the Hermant Building.
See File 49-3-106 for the architectural drawings of the Hermant Annex.
See File 49-3-58 for the architectural plans of a factory for Imperial Optical Co. at 270 Ontario Street and for an administrative history of Imperial Optical.
See File 49-3-63 for the architectural plans of alterations to the ground floor of the Hermant Building.
See File 49-3-100 for architectural drawings of Montgomery's Tavern, located on the ground floor of the Hermant Building.
See File 49-3-93 for the architectural drawings of a factory for Imperial Optical at the S.W. corner of Dundas and Ontario Streets.