11 architectural and technical drawings : 4 blueprints, 7 pencil, 1 hand col., watercolour, 6 on tracing paper, 1 on cardboard ; 51 x 64 cm or smaller
Louis Gelber was born in what is now Austria on November 8, 1880. He immigrated to Canada in 1896, marrying Sarah Leah Morris in 1904. Around this time, he and his brother Moses co-founded the Imperial Clothing Company, which became Gelber Brothers Woollens. The head office was located at 217-225 Richmond St. W. from 1912 until the 1960s.
Mr. Gelber was very active in the Jewish Community and was a founder of the Hebrew Free School, Primrose Club and was president of Goel Tzedek. He died in December 1968 and was survived by his four children.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural and technical drawings of the home of Mr. Louis Gelber at 133 Lowther Avenue. Included are floor plans, elevation drawings, a colour sketch of the interior and detailing of the living room ceiling, bookcases and mantel.
Due to the fragility of this material, the description is partially based on Steven Speisman's description.
Material is fragile and badly torn.
See File 49-3-68 for architectural drawings of a public garage at 287 Spadina Avenue for the Gelber Brothers.
See File 49-3-91 for architectural drawings of the New Textile Building for the Gelber Brothers at 205 Richmond Street West.
See File 49-3-90 for the architectural drawings of a woolens warehouse for the Gelber Brothers at 355-359 Adelaide Street West.
See File 49-3-46 for architectural drawings and plans of a service station for the Gelber Brothers at the corner of Richmond and Simcoe streets.