5 architectural and technical drawings : pencil on tracing paper ; 51 cm length or smaller and 6 cm diam.
Imperial Optical was founded in 1900 by Mr. Percy Hermant and was the first prescription lens business in the Maritimes. Percy headed the company until his death in 1959, and under his leadership the company eventually grew to be the largest company of its kind in the British Commonwealth. The head office was located in the Hermant Building (named for Percy) at 21 Dundas Square. After Percy's death, the company passed into the hands of his son Sydney, who sold majority control to the Caribbean based Harcourt Carter Optical in 1965. By 1991, Harcourt Carter Optical had assumed total control of Imperial Optical.
Scope and Content
File consists of floor plans, elevations, sections and a roof plan of a two storey building for Imperial Optical at 270 Ontario Street. Building contained a storage facility, a garage, janitor's quarters and an employees' restaurant.
Formerly listed as Commission IX.
See File 49-3-106 for the architectural drawings of the Hermant Annex.
See File 49-3-37 for the architectural plans of a proposed storage building for Mr. Percy Hermant at 179 Ontario Street, and for a biography of Mr. Hermant.
See File 49-3-63 for the architectural plans of alterations to the ground floor of the Hermant Building.
See File 49-3-97 for the architectural drawings of the Hermant Building.
See File 49-3-100 for architectural drawings of Montgomery's Tavern, located on the ground floor of the Hermant Building.
See File 49-3-93 for the architectural drawings of a factory for Imperial Optical at the S.W. corner of Dundas and Ontario Streets.