9 architectural and technical drawings : 2 blueprints, 6 pencil on tracing paper, 1 on verso of blueprint ; 51 cm length and 7 cm diam.
The Hermant Building, located at 21 Dundas Square is a designated heritage building that is actually composed of two connected office buildings and an annex. The 9 storey western building was designed by architects Bond and Smith in 1913. The 6 storey Hermant Annex and 14 storey eastern tower were designed by Benjamin Brown in 1920 and 1930 respectively. The building is named after Percy Hermant and served as the headquarters of his company, Imperial Optical, which for a time was the largest prescription lens business in the British Commonwealth. The buildings were designated as heritage buildings in 1990.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of an alteration to the ground floor of the Hermant Building at 21 Dundas Square. Elevations, floor plans, a block plan and technical drawings of structural elements of the building are included.
Benjamin Brown's office was located in the Hermant Building in the 1940s; at the time he created these architectural plans his office was located on Bay Street.
See File 49-3-97 for the architectural drawings of the Hermant Building.
See File 49-3-106 for the architectural drawings of the Hermant Annex.
See File 49-3-100 for architectural drawings of Montgomery's Tavern, located on the ground floor of the Hermant Building.
See File 49-3-37 for the architectural plans of a proposed storage building located at 179 Ontario Street and a biography of Percy Hermant.
See File 49-3-58 for the architectural drawings of a factory for Imperial Optical at 270 Ontario Street.
See File 49-3-93 for the architectural drawings of a factory for Imperial Optical at the S.W. corner of Dundas and Ontario Streets.