The Park Plaza Hotel, originally called the Queen's Park Plaza, began construction in 1928. However, because of financial problems in the Depression it was not completed until 1936. Prior to its completion it was bought by the Park Plaza Company, a group of investors including Harry Rotenberg of Yolles and Rotenberg and Joseph Schwartz, Sylvia Schwartz's father. It was originally used as a hotel, residences and office space. Through the 1940s and 1950s it was a popular hot spot, acting as a venue for entertainers such as Cab Calloway and Duke Ellington. In the 1960s it became a popular location with the literary crowd, including Margaret Atwood and Mordecai Richler.
It was eventually bought by the Hyatt chain and re-named the Park Hyatt Toronto.
Scope and Content
This item is a view of a guitarist, accordianist and organist performing on stage.
This image has no proofs.
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.