Jack Schwartz was Sylvia Schwartz's uncle, and was married to Minnie Schwartz. Their daughter Jewell owned an art gallery in Yorkville for many years. Jack was in the fur business in Toronto.
Jewell Schwartz was the daughter of Jack and Minnie Schwartz, and was Sylvia Schwartz's cousin.
In 1955, Jewell opened an upscale craft retail store called Trade Winds at 150 Bloor Street West. In 1963 she relocated the store to 138 Cumberland Street in Yorkville, due to the previous building being torn down. Trade Winds remained at this location until her retirement in 1984. Jewell was known to take courses in the construction of the wares she sold, such as jewelry and pottery to have a better idea of the materials she was selling.
Ida Schwartz was the sister of Jack and Joseph Schwartz.
Herbert Solway is the son of Alex and Fanny Solway, the brother of Carol Solway and the nephew of Sylvia Schwartz. He received a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Toronto in 1953 and a Bachelor of Laws degree in 1955. He was called to the Bar in 1957. Herbert was a founding member of Goodmans LLP, joining the firm in 1955. He has played a significant role in helping build the foundation of the firm, serving as its chair from 1980 to 1992. He served as a Chariman until 1994 and Partner until 1998. He continues to serve as Counsel to Goodmans. He was appointed to the Queen's Counsel in 1968.
Herbert has also been a Director of Gluskin Sheff and Associates Inc. since May 2006. He is a Director of the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health and a Founding director of the Tarragon Theatre Company. He was a Founding director of Sun Media Corporation, as well as a Director of John Labatt Ltd.
Scope and Content
Item consists of a group portrait of members of the Schwartz and Solway families. Front row (left to right): Minnie Schwartz and Ida Schwartz. Middle row (left to right): Jewell Schwartz. Back row (left to right): Herbert Solway and Jack Schwartz.
This item has no proofs. This item shares a negative with F80_s5-3_f2_i2.
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.