Although originally referred to as "contributions from subscribers", by the 1920s the annual fund-raising campaign efforts of the FJPT were simply referred to as "Campaign". Beginning in 1917 with a collection of $25,000.00 used to support a group of eleven affiliated charitable organizations, early campaigns relied on face-to-face solicitations, door-to-door collections, and mailed instalments for most of the FJPT income.
By 1924, collections had risen to over $70,000.00 from more than 1,600 donors. Three more "affiliated" agencies could be supported. By 1929 donations had surpassed $140,000.00, but thereafter declined dramatically by almost 50% as the Great Depression reduced wages and employment while multiplying need. At the same time, collections fell dramatically when many donors became unable to fulfill their pledges. Campaign results were thus woefully inadequate to fund the traditional social service organizations while now competing with the campaigns of newer organizations such as the CJC, the Palestine Appeal, and Toronto's impoverished Jewish educational institutions.
In 1938 the FJPT was supplanted by the United Jewish Welfare Fund. This successor organization was created with an expanded mandate to improve and re-unify fund-raising within Toronto's Jewish Community. Its success would underwrite the following half-century of expansion of Toronto's Jewish community facilities and programs.
Scope and Content
Series consists of one sub-series containing reports documenting the 1934 and 1935 fund-raising campaigns of the FJPT. Series also contains one wooden ruler promoting the 1931 FJPT fund-raising campaign.
Although the organization was created in 1917, the only remaining documentation on FJPT campaigns from 1917 through 1933 is that found in the Annual Reports of 1917, 1924-25 and 1929.
For records documenting the fund-raising campaigns by the United Jewish Welfare Fund from 1938 onwards see See Fonds 67, Series17.