Accession consists of commemorative booklets for the 35th Anniversary celebration of the Toronto Hebrew Benevolent Society in 1935, the Golden (50th) Anniversary in 1949, and the 60th Anniversary in 1959. There is also a 1947 constitution of the society. Some of the material is in Yiddish.
The first meeting of the Toronto Hebrew Benovolent Society took place in January 1899 and the Society received its charter from the Ontario Government in February 1899. The original 35 members were all cloakmakers. The original functions of the group included sick benefit allowances and visits and "shiva" money for mourners. The Society purchased burial grounds in Roselawn Cemetery in 1903 and at Dawes Road (St Clair East) in 1917. The Ladies Auxiliary was organized in 1923. The Refugee Fund was set up in 1940, and in conjunction with the Auxiliary raised significant funds for war efforts and Jewish and Israeli causes.