The accession consists of two photographs. The first is a portrait of the Sprachman family taken around 1900 at Price's Lane, Toronto. The second is a wedding photograph of Hyman James and Gussie Rumm, taken on 22 February 1916 at the University Avenue Synagogue.
The Sprachman photograph includes the following family members from left to right and top to bottom: Hyman Sprachman, Sheindel Sprachman, Beckie Sprachman (?), unknown, unknown, Fanny Sprachman, Lena Sprachman, Abe Sprachman and Jacob Sprachman.
The second photograph include the newly married couple in the middle with the top hat and large white hat.
Hyman (Chaim) Sprachman (b. 1856) arrived in Toronto at the end of the nineteenth century with his eldest son Benjamin (b. 1877), who was twenty at the time. They both worked as peddlers and resided in a boarding home for a while. Hyman sent for his family in Austria and they arrived in 1904. His family included his wife Sheindel and children Rebecca (b. 1887), Lena (b. 1891), Fanny (b. 1892) and Abraham (b. 1894). The family originally lived at 30 Gerrard and then relocated to 123 Baldwin around 1914. Abraham became a prominent architect and married his cousin Mina Sprachman (b. 1900) in 1921. They had two children: Mendel and Sheila. Mandel followed in his father's footsteps and also became a nationally recognized and acclaimed architect. Both specialized in theatre design and renovations.
Hyman James ran a successful company called Men's Clothing Manufacturing Company. The company was later renamed to H. James Co. He married Gussie Rumm, who was 15 years his junior, on 22 February 1916 at the University Avenue Synagogue.