Accession consists of a Goel Tzedec Synagogue seat deed for Harris Yanover, purchased in 1907.
Goel Tzedec was established in 1883. It was originally an orthodox congregation founded by a group of recent immigrants from Lithuania and was first situated in a room at Richmond and York Streets. Three years later a former Methodist church at University Avenue at Elm Street was purchased and remodelled. In 1904 the congregation hired an architect to construct a new building and in February of 1907, the synagogue on University Avenue was dedicated. It became the largest synagogue in Toronto, accommodating 1200 congregants.
During the early decades of the twentieth century, Goel Tzedec became more ethnically mixed and established a religious school and women's auxiliary to help raise money and run special events. In 1925, the congregation joined the Conservative Synagogue Movement and introduced changes to its services.
In September of 1952, Goel Tzedec and its sister synagogue Beth Hamidrash Hagadol, amalgamated to form Beth Tzedec.
Harris Yanover was the grandfather of Rayna Rabin.