Accession consists of one booklet from the Apter Hilfs Farein 5th Annual Banquet held at Beth Jacob Synagogue in Toronto on Sunday, February 6, 1944.
The Apter Hilfs Farein was a landmanshaft organization formed by Polish immigrants to Toronto in the early twentieth century and the precursor to the Apter Friendly Society.
Upon immigrating to Canada, the immigrants purchased a small synagogue on Centre Avenue near Dundas Street in 1905. In 1918, in anticipation of more Apter immigrants coming to Toronto after the First World War, the synagogue was sold and a larger one purchased on Beverley Street. That same year a relief committee was founded as a means of helping the Apter landsleit in Poland. And while many of its members did not belong to the synagogue, the committee was permitted to hold their meetings there.
After the Second World War, the younger members of the relief committee decided to form an organization that would have a different mandate other than relief. Thus, in 1946 the Apter Friendly Society was founded with a membership of forty. The society instituted a series of cultural events and programming and maintained it's original social and welfare functions as well