Accession consists of one photograph of a group of boys from the Jewish Boys Club at Camp Bnai Brith. The boys are having their hands inspected for cleanliness. One of the counsellors in the background is reading from a merit book and another is setting up a tent. Pictured are:
Standing, third from the left: Sydney Blinick.
Inspecting the hands: Nadie Bronstein
The Jewish Boys’ Club was formed in 1921, under the leadership of M. M. Cohen, and was funded by the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies. The club operated out of a house on Simcoe Street, which had a games room, meeting rooms, library and offices. The Boys’ Club used various facilities around the city for its athletic programming.
The club primarily targeted disadvantaged boys from low income homes. It addressed the YMHA’s gap in programming, since their focus at the time was on young adults rather than boys. The club offered cultural programming, had basketball teams and ran a summer camp in cooperation with B’nai Brith