Accession consists of one Shopsy's Delicatessen menu from March 1985. The deli introduced a new menu on 1 April 1985. It is a laminated, oversized, three-panel menu and is from the deli located at Yonge and Front Streets, across from the former O'Keefe Centre.
Harry and Jennie Shopsowitz started the family business, Shopsy's Delicatessen, in 1921. The first location was on Spadina Avenue at Dundas Street and was initially an ice-cream parlour, although they quickly converted it into a delicatessen in 1922. Shopsy's became an institution in the city where the likes of Bob Hope, Al Waxman, Dennis Hull and Scotty Bowman were regular customers. Harry's three sons took over the business in 1947. The brothers, Sam and Israel, expanded the business by packaging and distributing their hotdogs and corned beef to grocery stores. Sam Shopsowitz, the more gregarious of the two brothers, was known as the "Corned Beef King."