This accession consists of five copy photographs of the Pearlman family of Lucknow, Ontario and the Levinson family of Toronto. Included is a photo of Ben Pearlman's Ladies and Men's ready to wear store, a portrait of Ben and Sophy Pearlman, a portrait of Rosa and Louis Levinson and the extended Levinson family, and a photograph of Ada and Sol Lewis (Levinson) with their son, Austin.
The Pearlman family were the only Jewish family in Lucknow, Ontario. They owned a men's and ladies ready to wear store, which opened in 1923, was sold to new owners in 1945 and remained in operation until the 1970s. Through family connections in Toronto, the Pearlman's were founding members of both the Roumanian Shul on Centre St. (now Adath Israel Synagogue) as well as the Bais Yehuda Synagogue on Dovercourt (now Beth Emeth Bais Yehuda Synagogue in North York).
The Levinson family were in-laws of the Pearlman family and were also founding members of Bais Yehuda Synagogue. The family owned an ice cream parlour on Terauley St. (Bay St.) in Toronto. Their son Sol Lewis was a soloist at Sheas Theatre in Toronto and his wife Ada was a pianist. During the 1930s and 1940s, they would perform during film screenings in between the changing of the reels.