31 photographs : col. (3 slides) ; 10 x 12 cm and 35 mm
Scope and Content
This accession consists of records documenting the 1976 amalgamation of the Anshei Lubavitch and Shaarei Tefillah congregations and in particular, the parade of the Torah scrolls. Also included is the contract of merger, and a dues receipt from Anshei Libavitch from 1964.
The album was created by Sam Richardson in 1976 and was in the care of his wife Luba when they were donated to the Archives on October 25, 2010.
The Anshei Lubavitch Synagogue was formed around 1905 and was first located on Centre Avenue in the Ward. It later moved to Denison Avenue where it remained until its merger with Shaarei Tefillah. Alex Richardson was one of the founding members of Anshei Lubavitch. At the time of the merger, Alex's son Sam was one of the executive members.
Related material note: photogrphs #1020-1050 also document the merger ceremonies.