Accession consists of photographs of the Rogow family and business in Peterborough, Ontario. Included are images of Ralph, Sam, Mary, Itzhak Rogow, and Herbert and Stephen Shacher. There is also one image of the window display in the Rogow's ladies' wear store at the corner of Brock and George Streets.
These photographs were originally loaned to the OJA to scan and return as part of the Ontario's Small Jewish Communities exhbit. However, the copies were never accessioned at that time and thus the donor was asked to donate the copies in August, 2011.
Benjamin and Mary Rogow and had four sons–Alex, Joseph, Sam, and Ralph–as well as four daughters–Mrs. M. Levine, Mrs. Sam Davis, Mrs. Phil Moscoe, and Rose Rogow. In 1918, Benjamin Rogow established a ladies ready-to-wear store on the southeast corner of Brock and George Streets. For twenty-five years the family of four sons and four daughters lived in rooms above the store until they moved to 623 Walkerfield Avenue. Carried on by son Joseph Rogow, it was possibly one of Peterborough’s longest-running ladies’ wear store. In the early days, coats and suits were made on the premises but by the 1950s the store’s offering of suits and coats and dresses has expanded to skirts and slacks.
On 25 April 1942, Sgt-Instructor Sam Rogow died in a plane accident near Trois Rivieres, Quebec, three months after earning his wings as a training instructor.