3 photographs : b&w ; 24 x 19 cm on matte 30 x 35 cm or smaller
Scope and Content
Accession consists of three photographs documenting the Franklin family of Toronto, an early and prominent family of the Jewish community. The photographs consist of of the wedding dinner of Annie Franklin and Elias Robinson (12 June 1916) as well as two exterior views of A. Franklin, the pawn and bicycle repair shop with Franklin family members standing outside.
These items were discovered in the processing room. Their custodial history is unknown, although it is certain that they arrived at the Archives prior to 2001. They were assigned this accession number by the archivist.
4/18/2012: the original accession form was found for these photographs, donated in 1977, but an accession number had never been assigned at the time.
Abraham Franklin (ca. 1844-1905) and his wife Frances (Fanny) Franklin (ca. 1844-1908) came to Canada from Germany in 1865, via the United States. Together they had seven children: Jacob (John), Henry (Harry), Hyman (Herman), Annie (m. Robinson), Simon (Sam), Dora and Katie.
Abraham began as a picture frame dealer on York Street, later becoming a second hand clothing store owner with his wife on Queen Street West. By 1890, Abraham had established a jewellery store named Franklin Brothers, with his sons Jacob and Henry, and by the early 1910s also owned A. Franklin & Sons. The two businesses continued to operate simultaneously as a pawn shop, a jewellery store, and even a bicycle repair shop.
The Franklin family owned many large plots of valuable land in downtown Toronto, which they leased out to individuals and businesses, including Eaton's. Their land was located on the north side of Albert Street from James Street to Bay Street; along Gerrard Street from Yonge to Elizabeth streets; and along Walton Street from Yonge to Elizabeth streets. Later, the children inherited the property held by their parents, which had extended around the Queen Street West and Portland Avenue area.
In 1916, stemming from family concerns over her upcoming marriage to Elias Robinson, Annie Franklin transferred ownership of her portion of the inherited Franklin estate to her brothers, Henry, Hyman, and Simon for a cost of $25,000 to be held in trust for her.