Accession consists of records related to The Lizzies and the Lizzies Old Timer Association including newspaper articles, membership lists, a proclamation, booklets, articles, photos, 1 hat, 2 shirts, and 1 luggage tag.
This material was gathered together by Bronstine and Cornack and donated to the Archives. Further accruals from other former Lizzies are expected.
The Lizzies were a collection of sports teams that played amateur baseball and basketball in Toronto starting in 1912 in the school yard of the Elizabeth Street School. This “Playground” was situated in Toronto’s first Jewish quarter, St. John’s Ward, or simply “The Ward”. Supervised by the Parks Department’s Playground and Recreation branch, these playgrounds were popular places for inner-city children. They hosted athletic teams that competed in intramural competitions. The Lizzies won more than 150 titles at the city, provincial, and national levels in baseball, basketball, football, and hockey.Bob Abate (1893-1981), coached the Lizzies’ teams for 26 years and in 1990, the Elizabethan Recreation Centre (at Grace Street and Bloor Street West) was renamed the Bob Abate Recreation Centre in his honour. The Lizzies Old Timers Association is run by Harvey Bronstine and Norm Cornack and they bring together the remaining members of the Lizzies annually at a dinner.