Accession consists of one digital image of a Mandel Bros. Produce Pasteurized Special Sour Cream lid.
Mandel’s Creamery opened between 1913-1920. It was initially owned by Harry Mandel. After 1944, it was owned by one of his sons William Mandel and, in the 1950s, it was owned by the brothers Saul, Abraham, Ben, and William Mandel. From 1960 to approximately 1965, it was owned by William Mandel (exclusively).
Mandel's Creamery manufactured cream cheese, cottage cheese, sour cream, and butter milk under the labels Mandel Bros. & Silver Brand. They also manufactured for private label brands and other wholesale and retail customers. They sold wholesale butter, eggs, and hard cheese which they did not manufacture. Low salt & low fat cottage cheese was a specialty sold to institutions such as Baycrest Hospital. Their customers included supermarkets, bakeries, restaurants, institutions, resorts, and summer camps. There was also retail sales at the store front at 29 Baldwin St.
The business was sold by the Mandel family around 1965 to Mr. Bricks and Mr. Caplan who then sold it to Western Creamery some years later.