Accession consists of electronic copies of photographs documenting Alby Garbe, his golf-related activities and athletic career and his family, particularly his grandparents Lily and James (Isadore) Levey and his father William Garbe. Also included are newsclippings and a 1969 certificate for the Maccabi Games.
Alby Garbe was born in 1943 to William and Lorna (née Levey) Garbe. He had one sister, Sally Finkelstein (19 Apr. 1941-27 Sept. 2016). William's parents were George and Sophie Garbe and Lorna's parents were James and Lily (née Albon) Levey.
William Garbe (26 May 1908-Aug. 1998) was a Toronto-born dermatologist and the first Jewish graduate in his field from the University of Toronto. Upon graduating in 1932, William couldn't find a job in Toronto due to antisemitism so went to New York where he worked at the Skin and Cancer Clinic. Sulzberger-Garbe dermatosis was first described in 1937 based on observations performed by Garbe and fellow dermatologist, Marion B. Sulzberger. In the late 1930s, William returned to Toronto and opened his on practice at Bloor and Spadina, which then moved to 167 College St. and later to 199 Avenue Rd.
Lily Levey was originally from Dublin. Her husband James was a violinist and quartet leader with the Hart House String Quartet. He was originally from London, England and played with the London String Quartet. James and Lily had a home at Lorne Park Estates, just west of Port Credit.
Alby Garbe was a junior championship golfer and amateur athlete who played out of the Oakdale Golf and Country Club.
1. Lily Levey (née Albon) at home at Lorne Park Estates (just west of Port Credit), ca. 1970. The fence was designed by her husband James Levey who was a violinist with the Hart House Quartet.
2. South Prep. Forest Hill class photo, ca. 1951. Back row, left to right: Alan Libman; unidentified; Bruce Kitchen; Jeff Lipson; unidentified; Harold Kerbel; unidentified; David Hansen. Third row, left to right: Gail Smith; unidentified; unidentified; unidentified; Gail Starkman; unidentified; unidentified; unidentified; unidentified; [Miss A?]. Second row, left to right: unidentified; unidentified; Nancy Gaye Smith; unidentified; unidentified; unidentified; unidentified; Pam Turk; Bonnie Bronstein. Front row, left to right: Frank Richard; Eddie Lewis; unidentified; Barry Riggs; Alby Garbe; Lawrence Reubenstein; Warren Biback; Brain Handi.
3. Alby Garbe, Qualifying round for Ontario Junior Golf Championships, ca. 1959.
4. Norm Mogil and Alby Garbe at tryout for 1961 Maccabi Games, 1961.
5. Lizzie’s Football team, ca. 1926. Identified 10th from right: William Garbe; 9th from right: Joe Tator; 6th from right: Charlie Siegel.
6. Holy Blossom Sunday School, ca. 1955. Back row, left to right: Alby Garbe; Ken Pritzker; Elliot Edelstein; unidentified; Merrick Hart Engel; Chuck Ornstein; [Tom Shulman?]. Middle row, left to right: unidentified; Brian Leibel; Robbie Wolfe; Donnie Baker; Ed Isaacs; unidentified; unidentified; unidentified. Front row, left to right; unidentified; unidentified; Linda Cohen; unidentified; Fern Brown; unidentified; unidentified; unidentified; Louis Baker.
7. Leo Baeck Hockey Team, 2001. Alby Garbe as coach (on left).
8. B’nai Brith Hockey Team, Toronto Freedom Lodge, ca. 1980. Back row, left to right: Arthur Sanders; Bryon Alexandroff; [Allan?] Markowitz; Ken Daniels; Murray Covent; unidentified; Dave Kosoy; Roey Kert. Front row, left to right: Steve Lyons; Murray Rossman; Stan Axsmith; unidentified. Missing: Alby Garbe as he had broken his leg.
9. B’nai Brith Hockey League, All-Star Team, December 1980. Back row, left to right: Paul Wise; John Fine; Bryon Alexandroff; unidentified; Alby Garbe; unidentified; Dave Bronstein; Michael Albert; Ira Kaufman; Bernie Hertzman; Dave Schwartz. Front row, left to right: Ken Daniels; Murray Covant; Brian Stepak; Mel Solomon; Sandy Breslin.
10. Camp Winnebego, ca. 1955. Back row, left to right: Arnold Miller (counsellor); Marshal Henkel; Mel Goodman; Arnold Shapiro; Stan Shapiro; Eric Brewer; Stan Taube. Front row, left to right: Jerry Goldberg; Bernie Rubenstein (from Hamilton), Alby Garbe, Lorne Solish.
11. “Yid Line”, ca. 1965. Pick up Hockey League. Left to right: Ray Shoichet, Merv Glazier, Alby Garbe.
12. Alby Garbe, University of Toronto Basketball team, ca. 1965.
13. Golf tournament at the Maccabi Games in Israel, 1965. Left to right: Alby Garbe (Canada); P. Blumberg (Israel); E. Shamar (Great Britain); C. Rosen (USA).
14. YMHA Basketball Team, 1924. Back row, left to right: Joe Benjamin; Eddie Sniderman; [?] Goldman (coach); Irving Gold; Simon Ramm. Front row, left to right: Moe English; Harry Lister; William Garbe.
15. Maccabi Games, Israel, 1965. Left to right: Alby Garbe (Canada); Charles Rosen (USA-Baton Rouge); Derek Harrison (Scotland).
16. Alby Garbe at the Ontario Better Ball Tournament, at Oakdale Golf Club, 1976.
17. Forest Hill Collegiate Golf Team, 1961-1962. Left to right: L. F. Clayton (Director of Athletics); Norm Mogil; Alby Garbe; Stan Axsmith; David Pape; H. H. Mosey (Principal).
18. University of Toronto Baksetball Team, 1965-1966.
19. Kerns Junior Championship with Brian Kerns at Westmount in Kitchener, Ontario, 1959.
20. Hart House String Quartet, [194-?]. Left to right: James Levey; Allard De Ridder; Boris Hambourg; Adolf Koldofsky.
Copyright may not be held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.