Accession consists of photographs from a B'nai Israel Congregation Purim carnival.
Photographs by Lou Lessin, London, Ont.
In 1899, London established its first permanent synagogue at the corner of Richmond and Simcoe Streets. The B'nai Israel Congregation operated from this location until 1917. With the rapid influx of Jewish residents at the turn of century, the congregation eventually relocated to the site of a former church located at the corner of Wellington and Grey. B'nai Israel operated from this new home until 1960. On September 11, 1960, B'nai Israel Congregation consecrated its new purpose built synagogue at the then northern border of the city. Praised for its ultramodern design, the synagogue complex designed by architect Philip Carter Johnson, housed a school, social hall and youth centre.
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
HISTORY/BIO NOTE: A History of the Jewish Community of London Ontario by Bill Gladstone.
CONSERVATION NOTE: Photos were originally mounted on display boards. The photo backing has been removed where possible. All identifying information included in the photo captions was on the original display board.