Accession consists of material documenting Balfour Manor Camp. Included are approximately eighty black and white photographs, most of which have identifications on the reverse.
Individuals identified in the photographs include: Hanna[h?] Batnick, Gladys Bernstein, Judy Bernstein, Toshie Blackstone, L. Bolter, Jeanette Chapman, Doreen Cohen, [Suzy?] Davidson, Marcia Dillick, Sidney "Sid" Dillick, Dave Faber, R. Freedman, Ruby Freidman, Barbara Gitter, Gloria Glazier, Ruth Goldberg, Abbie Goldblatt, Marv Goldblatt, S. Goldblatt, Shiela Gould, J. Granovsky, Effie Greben, Mimi Hertz, Toni Hertz, Herk Herwitz, Annette Jacobson, Vera K., Marnie Kamin, Freddie Kohal, Sylvia Kohl, Lillian Lampkovitz, B. Levine, Herzel Levine, Esther Kolchin, Rhoda Magder, Ellie Markson, M. Markson, Marilyn Miller, M. Minden, Molly Mintz, Perky Nusbaum, R. Nusbaum, Gilbert Paskowitz, Herbie Paskowitz, J. Pattenick, Joan Pullan, Art Resnick, Lila Riven, Eleanor Rivlin, Lloyd Robstein, Faye Roefe, Les Roefe, Sandra Rose, Sid Rosen, Lewis Rosenberg, Audrey Rothschild, Yitta Rubin, Estelle Rucker, Seabiscuit, Gloria Shaffran, Selma Shone, Ruth Silver, Norm Simpson, Estelle Tucker, Lynda Weiss, and Irving Winston.
The photographs previously belonged to the donor's mother, Marcia Rose (née Dillick).
Irene Granovsky founded the Balfour Manor Camp in 1935 and subsequently served as its director. The camp took its name from British foreign secretary Arthur James Balfour, the author of the Balfour Declaration. The camp was situated on Morrison Lake and served as a private camp for Jewish youth, providing such activities as canoeing, swimming, and tennis. At its peak, the camp was home to two hundred or so campers. It closed in 1952.
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
RELATED MATERIAL NOTE: Other records relating to Balfour Manor Camp can be found in accession 1991-12-4.