The Housing Committee of UJRA, formally known as the Canadian Jewish Congress Holding Corporation Limited, oversaw the placement of new immigrants temporarily in Congress shelters and in UJRA-owned houses. UJRA bought about thirty houses between 1948 and 1951 to provide low income housing for immigrants. These houses were gradually sold to immigrants, who were required to maintain them as immigrant residences for at least a year. The last of them was sold in 1955, but the Holding Corporation continued its work beyond that time.
Scope and Content
Sub-series consists of minutes, invoices, correspondence, reports and lists created by the Housing Committee of UJRA. The records are arranged in chronological-alphabetical order.
This sub-series is an amalgamation of former RG 210B and RG 295.
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.