The Jewish Community Centre Association (JCCA) was formed in the fall of 1936 through the coordination of the Jewish Girls’ and Boys’ Clubs to provide cultural, social, educational and athletic programming for members of the Jewish community. Located at 44 St. George Street, the JCCA offered a variety of classes; including, cooking, sewing, journalism, language, dance and art classes. It also ran a home camp and summer nursery school and organized celebrations for Jewish festivals and holidays.
However, many similar organizations existed in Toronto at the time and the JCCA was absorbed into the larger and growing Young Men's and Young Women's Hebrew Association around 1941. The YM-YWHA initially continued to operate many of the JCCA's programs at 44 St. George Street. Today, the YM-YWHA has evolved into the Bathurst Jewish Community Centre (BJCC) and the Miles Nadal Jewish Community Centre (MNJCC).
Scope and Content
File consists of correspondence and client lists documenting the relationship between the JCWA and the Jewish Community Centre Association of Toronto (JCCA).
Closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director and the head of Jewish Family and Child prior to accessing the records.
See also: The Jewish Family Welfare Bureau fonds 87, series 16, file 9, and The Jewish Family and Child fonds 79.