Goel Tzedec was established in 1883. It was originally an Orthodox congregation founded by a group of recent immigrants from Lithuania. The first synagogue was situated in a room on Richmond and York Streets. Three years later they purchased and remodelled a building on University Avenue at Elm Street that was owned by the Methodist Church. Finally, in 1904, they hired an architect to construct a large building that was perfectly suited to their needs. In February 1907, the building on University Avenue was dedicated and became the largest synagogue in Toronto, accomodating 1200 congregants.
Scope and Content
Item is a photograph of the Sunday school graduation at Goel Tzedec in May 1943. Pictured in the second row from the back, far left is David E. Newman.
Goel Tzedec Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.